• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIlent Hill 2 Remake | Review Thread

What scores do you think Silent Hill 2 Remake will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 56-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 36 18.3%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kacho

Are we pretending that modern day game journalists have any kind of integrity or critical thinking ability that puts them above an average Reddit user? I highly suggest playing the game yourself before claiming that Bloober is "redeemed" or whatever.
There's plenty of gameplay footage out there to make an informed opinion. It might not be perfect but it looks totally competent.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's crazy all the salt over this game, yet those same people thought The Medium was amazing at its original release.
Didn't everyone hate Medium?

Bloober's always had mediocre output. It was reasonable to be skeptical of this, especially since they were handed a beloved game with some amount of creative control to take liberties.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm really surprised by the reception. I'll happily eat this crow since we get a modern way to experience one of my favorite games. I'll probably double dip on PS5/PC too. /WalletAmCry

Sooner

Didn't everyone hate Medium?

Bloober's always had mediocre output. It was reasonable to be skeptical of this, especially since they were handed a beloved game with some amount of creative control to take liberties.
Not when it launched as an exclusive. People were saying the dual realities was only possible by next-generation Xbox hardware and it was amazing.

Then, it got ported, and everyone finally agreed the game sucked.

This game has a lot of Silent Hill vibes while it's still unique in his own way, i absolutely love it !

The Medium will be an underrated gem...

I just played +5 hours straight and i just want to see more but i had to stop because of life.

This is truly the mark of a great game !

The more i progress in the game the more I love it.
The story is really dark and the art direction is great.
Music is beautiful.
Graphically sometimes it’s impressive (chase sequences, some sceneries) sometimes it’s just ok.

The dual screen gameplay is cool but prefer the classic view.

I love fixed camera angles.

Wow, this game is way better than I expected and the atmosphere audio? First class.

This kind of game is exactly why gamepass is so great. I wouldn't have wanted to spend $50+ on this, but because it's on gamepass I've played for 4 hours and am loving it. Probably my favorite horror game since RE7.

So far I love it. Fixed camera kinda sux but you get used to it pretty quickly. I'm really sucked into the story and the way it's unfolding. Love the visuals and sound. People have complained about the voice acting, but I think it's pretty decent. I would say it's my favorite horror game in this genre and my 2nd favorite of any genre after Dead Space.

I think whether or not you end up liking it depends on whether you like this type of game.

Ok I've played a bit of the game today and I'm really enjoying it. it's a great addition to game pass and nice to see xbox with a good exclusive, it might be only a AA game.
there are a few bugs, but can see these being sorted in the short term. Grats to Bloober and MS for this exclusive. If MS can keep things going now, i see xbox having a bright future.

Last edited:

tommib

I've only listened to the gamespot review in the car, dude said he had 30 medkits and 3 digit ammo at some point and never died on normal. So it's 100% hard for combat on first playthrough. But I for puzzles - no idea, I recently played SH3 and puzzles on hard were just impossible without out-of-game knowledge on random things like Shakespeare. Or google.
I’m putting everything on hard. Knowing you, you should too.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's crazy all the salt over this game, yet those same people thought The Medium was amazing at its original release.

Anyone whose played through the medium will tell you it's abysmal in many ways, especially how it handles some sensitive subject matter in terms of the story and some characters.

Which is why this game's story being handled by Konami internally was the best case scenario. Don't let Bloober touch a game's narrative like this.

Theme of Laura is such a great music track.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m putting everything on hard. Knowing you, you should to.
Me Too Samesies GIF

Caio

or play on PC at true 4k@120fps
Honestly, every once in a while, the fanatical obsession with the godlike power of an RTX 4080 shouldn’t totally melt your brain. This comment was made in response to the completely valid statement that the base PS5’s 'performance' mode is basically 'let’s sacrifice lighting and fog for the greater frame rate' Oh, and yes, we were talking about PS5. I can almost smell a little bit of the 'Digital Foundry Syndrome' creeping in. It's a nasty condition, to say the least.

Not when it launched as an exclusive. People were saying the dual realities was only possible by next-generation Xbox hardware and it was amazing.

Then, it got ported, and everyone finally agreed the game sucked.
Oh please lol, most people thought the game fucking sucked. Don’t turn this into console war bullshit - 5 posters saying they had good first impressions means nothing

DeepSpace5D

Ok damn! Last night I saw it go from 90 to 86 on Opencritic. I was expecting it to further trend in that direction and settle somewhere in the low to mid 80s. Woke up this morning and it’s back up to an 88.

Looking like a late GotY contender!

SenkiDala

Steelbook is only available for EU retailers?

the fuck who made that decision.
Don't forget that's how we got Silent Hill 2 back in the day (it was the standard edition, there wasn't another edition)

silent_hill_2_ps2_eu_special_2_disc_set_15_box.jpg

We, in Europe, always had a wonderful treatment from Konami. Remember in the Metal Gear Solid games, the difficulty called "European Extreme" ? I dunno why, probably Konami EU is pretty good at their job.

Do you have the reversible cover of SH2 Remake in USA ?
silent-hill-2-remake-will-have-a-reversible-cover-v0-uw5vyrwbhasd1.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I reckon its more of a retailer thing, no?

Still .. sucks. I have a nice collection of Best Buy steelbooks and this could have been added if available.
Possibly, is Konami publishing the steelbook, or this specific retail store deal like Best Buy and the like used to do for movies?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do you have the reversible cover of SH2 Remake in USA ?
silent-hill-2-remake-will-have-a-reversible-cover-v0-uw5vyrwbhasd1.jpg

I think the reversible cover is global since that's part of the standard printing, steel books are only EU exclusive from what I can see online. No US retailer has htem.

Possibly, is Konami publishing the steelbook, or this specific retail store deal like Best Buy and the like used to do for movies?

Seems to be a Game.co.uk exclusive only.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Last edited:
Top Bottom