• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories |OT| A Different Way Forward

Logo.gif

Developer: Wayforward
Publisher: Konami
Platform: PlayStation Vita
Genre: Dungeon Crawler
Release Date(s): Oct. 16, 2012 (NA), Nov. 2, 2012 (EU)
Players: 1-4

The demo is available for download now from the PlayStation Store. (558 MB)

Story.gif

Book of Memories revolves around you receiving a mysterious book in the mail on your birthday. Inside the covers contains your entire life story to this point, everything that’s ever happened to you; all of your memories. You discover that by altering what’s written… you can actually change the past. You can write your own ideal history.

But you soon find there is a steep price one must pay...

gameplay.gif

A departure for the series, with a focus on co-operative multiplayer dungeon crawler style survival horror with RPG elements, set in the Silent Hill universe. Players can work together as they explore several different Otherworlds, solving puzzles and defeating creatures to advance through the Nightmares and uncover the truth behind the Book of Memories. There is a lot more focus on combat in this game and a new element of powers. All creatures are separated into three categories "Blood", "Light" and "Steel". Killing enemies that are either in the Blood or Light category will spill out pools of blood of the opposing element. The messier the kill the more that is spilled. These are then collected and measured in conjunction with something known as the "Karma Meter". This meter controls what powers are unlocked, so if the player is more inclined towards Blood (killing Light creatures), they will unlock destructive abilities (Typical DPS) while Light (killing Blood creatures) unlocks powers focused on healing and protection.

Book of Memories also has character creation, part of with is the class system of which there are five to choose from: jock, bookworm, rocker, goth and preppy. Each class will give a slight boost to certain stats. The player will also have full control of their character's gender, face, hair style, hair color, outfit, skin tone and accessories. These accessories are purchased from an in-game shop using memory residue (in-game loot).

Screens.gif

E3 2012 Trailer
Offical Launch Trailer

reveiws.gif

Digital Chumps - 8.2/10
A much different Silent Hill game than the norm, which will infuriate some but intrigue others, myself included. Series veteran or not, every Vita owner should at least try the demo.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
The general malaise surrounding the release combined with an utter lack of promotion would have any gamer assuming the worst. Surprisingly, though, Silent Hill: Book of Memories proves to be a deep, multi-layered game with the kind of replay value PS Vita is in dire need of. While survival horror purists may balk at the concept, anyone a fan of top-down action/RPGs, deep gameplay and a interesting story will find not only the most addicting multiplayer Vita game to date, but the best Silent Hill in recent memory.

Cheat Code Central - 3.7/5
As it stands, Silent Hill: Book of Memories is a rock-solid, dungeon-style RPG that pays a good deal of homage to the Silent Hill universe. It's probably not quite what the diehards would have wanted, but that doesn't mean that it's bad.

Games Radar - 2/5
With or without the Silent Hill name behind it, Book of Memories had the potential to be the next great Vita title, but it suffers from an identity crisis. It looks like a dungeon crawler but plays like an action RPG, yet it doesn’t provide enough variety to make you want to come back for more. Its format gets repetitive far too quickly, and the only the thing that will keep your attention is knowing the fate of your character, even if you only played a small part in it.

PL.gif

GAF Name / PSN ID

Oyashiro-Sama / FFVIIguy
Ohnonono / Fizipop
Spannicus / Loveordie04

Grinchy

Banned
I actually like the demo somewhat. I might even pick this game up if the online doesn't die immediately.

I agree with what some other people have been saying that this actually looks fun but as a Silent Hill game... it just doesn't make sense. I still haven't played the demo yet though so I dunno how it plays/feels myself. Definitely going to check the game out though!

Zen

Banned
I dunno, it seemed good for what it is, it's justa really weird game to be a sillent hill title.

The demo was surprisingly good, but I can't afford to buy this right now. Too many other high profile Vita games are on the way soon. But if Konami would have released this in June or July, I definitely would have purchased it.

So a Gamefly rental it will be.

Good job OP, it's a concise intro to the game; never knew it was such a different game, I am now interested to see how it may end up. I like good dungeon crawlers.

daevv

Demo was ok. I'll give it another try before release date. I'm thinking this will be a discount buy either way.

It would be funny if this is the best "Silent Hill" out of all the recent ones. I mean lets face it... Silent Hill hasn't been Silent Hill in a while.

This one won't be "Silent Hill" either, but i'm genuinely interested in see if this game turns out to be a decent or even great top down action / dungeon crawler game.

It would be funny if this is the best "Silent Hill" out of all the recent ones. I mean lets face it... Silent Hill hasn't been Silent Hill in a while.

That was just a heavy dose of sarcasm. Truthfully, I loved the shit out of Shattered Memories and Downpour, and I haven't enjoyed Silent Hill this much since 2. It may just be a spin-off, but I don't think Book of Memories will be much cop; average to good. I'd have prefered more traditional SH fare on the Vita.

Carl

The demo was surprisingly good, but I can't afford to buy this right now. Too many other high profile Vita games are on the way soon. But if Konami would have released this in June or July, I definitely would have purchased it.

Pretty much my thoughts, unfortunately. Might be one for the Christmas list.

When this was first revealed I was certain I didn't want it. The more I see/read though the more I'm interested. Will still be something I'll buy when it's a lot cheaper, but still, could be fun.

Beth Cyra

Not going to lie, I was hard on the game and I still won't pay full price for it.

That said if it ever drops to about 15-20 dollars I will pick up a copy just to give it an honest try. Hopefully it turns out awesome for those who are excited for it.

Book of Memories revolves around you receiving a mysterious book in the mail on your birthday. Inside the covers contains your entire life story to this point, everything that’s ever happened to you; all of your memories. You discover that by altering what’s written… you can actually change the past. You can write your own ideal history.

But you soon find there is a steep price one must pay...

Sounds like the plot of a Stephen King book. Or a Doctor Who episode

Ohnonono

Day one on this. As I have said before I am not a big silent hill fan, but the demo felt like some Mansions of Madness, eldritch, well paced dungeon crawling. I love that kind of mood and at least in the demo love how the game is paced. Hopefully the rest of the game lives up! Also it's Way Forward.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Demo was really great but yeah there are way too many Vita games coming out (CRAZY I KNOW), even next week I'll be grabbing JSR and Dokuro instead of this :/

Astra

I'll be getting this since a couple of my friends are. We'll definitely have a lot of fun playing this together.

Honestly when I play games like RE6 and FF13, when I look at Downpour or Homecoming I barely see a difference between those and the older SH's. IMO franchises like RE and FF have changed way more than SH has changed. For what it's worth I think the SH games have stayed on course. Argue quality all you like, but I think they've kept it on track in many ways.

I've had the demo since it came out and still haven't gotten around to playing it properly

those load times are really long =/

Takao

Banned
I've had the demo since it came out and still haven't gotten around to playing it properly

those load times are really long =/

They are, which implies to me Konami didn't use the delay to fix those issues at all. The game had severe loading issues back in May.

Sintoid

I preordered it on Zavvi for 30€... don't know why... maybe because the demo didn't disappoint me that much and i need this kind of game on a handheld...

Kazerei

Banned
I love the tagline! It's definitely better than what I suggested.

Wasn't too impressed with the demo but I'd still consider it if the price went down (and also if there weren't a bunch of other Vita games I want to play)

Grisby

I thought it was alright based off the demo. Nothing special but nothing offensive either.

I might pick it up on the cheap. Maybe earlier if the net code sounds good.

Top Bottom