• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories |OT| A Different Way Forward

Picked this up early in NYC. Some quick impressions:

The game's actually not bad so far - gameplay is standard hack/slash. Environments are starting to get varied. You start out in the industrial level from the demo, but then move onto an Evil Dead-y cabin zone. At the end of each Zone, there is a puzzle to unlock the next level, usually having to arrange items in a certain order, based on a clue found in the level. Some of the puzzles haven't made sense to me, but you can just arrange the items until you get a Puzzle Complete message.

In each Zone, there is an added challenge (defeat a certain enemy, etc) to get a powerful weapon, which is pretty cool.

Graphics are fair (coupled with the isometric perspective). Lighting effects are a highlight/bright spot/other pun.

Story seems pretty light, and kind of stupid. There are TV broadcasts in each zone that give backstory to the character, but it's nothing too interesting.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Overall, the game's better than I thought it would be.

Is there more to the gameplay than the standard hack-and-slash and shooting? Any special skills or combos, for example?

There are special skills - you can buy Power Moves at the store, which use up power orbs. Two of the moves I have so far are switching the Karma of enemies (blood to light or vice versa) and a 360 attack, where you spin the left stick to hit enemies around you. You start out with 1 power orb, but get more as you level up. There are also Karma powers, which are available depending on whether your on the Light or Blood side of the Karma bar.

There's also a combo system, which I'm having getting the timing down. You're supposed to tap the attack button as soon as you hit an enemy, and keep doing that to build up a combo. That will then allow you to do an execution attack, but it's been unnecessary in the early levels, since the enemies are kind of weak.

Is it possible to influence the story from what you've seen?

There are room called Forsaken Rooms that can have a Good, Neutral, or Bad outcome. They seem kind of vague to me. I've been to one that has a little girl in her room. Whenever I approach her, she gets scared, which gave me Blood karma. I'm still not sure how these work, but I think they tie into the story somewhat.

cyborg009

Banned
There are special skills - you can buy Power Moves at the store, which use up power orbs. Two of the moves I have so far are switching the Karma of enemies (blood to light or vice versa) and a 360 attack, where you spin the left stick to hit enemies around you. You start out with 1 power orb, but get more as you level up. There are also Karma powers, which are available depending on whether your on the Light or Blood side of the Karma bar.

There's also a combo system, which I'm having getting the timing down. You're supposed to tap the attack button as soon as you hit an enemy, and keep doing that to build up a combo. That will then allow you to do an execution attack, but it's been unnecessary in the early levels, since the enemies are kind of weak.

There are room called Forsaken Rooms that can have a Good, Neutral, or Bad outcome. They seem kind of vague to me. I've been to one that has a little girl in her room. Whenever I approach her, she gets scared, which gave me Blood karma. I'm still not sure how these work, but I think they tie into the story somewhat.

Interesting can you take a screen of that..

ZeroAKA

Nice to know that the combat isn't as shallow as it seemed in the demo. I'll probably pick this up when it goes on sale.

Bittercup

The room was in the Demo as well. If you stand still for a while the girl says that you're not so bad and you get good karma. Not sure what to do for neutral karma.
and thanks for the quick impressions :)

Cudder

This game is why I bought a Vita lol. Definitely picking it up tomorrow. Don't know if I should do digital or physical though.

Ohnonono

F58Oel.jpg

Gonna be a long day at work looking at this :(.

Takao

Banned
Remember when video game publishers used to send review copies so reviews could come out on day 1 of release? Konami doesn't.

Updated the OP with a Player List. If you plan on picking it up today go ahead and post your info so we can play together.

You mispelled your name in the player list :lol.

Remember when video game publishers used to send review copies so reviews could come out on day 1 of release? Konami doesn't.
Might be better that way ;3. Interested to read impressions on this.

Ohnonono

I'll be playing some tonight, if I get far enough in to have new opinions I will post them. If not maybe tomorrow sometime. That said I really liked the demo.

AkuMifune

Banned
Remember when reviews meant something? Me neither.

EGM. 3 people reviewing one game, before the internet ruined everything. Since then, not so much.

But this is the kinda game where opinions are really valuable. Get on it already GAF!

ArjanN

I dunno, it seemed good for what it is, it's justa really weird game to be a sillent hill title.

Seems like Double Dragon Neon (also by Wayforward) which is good as long as you accept it's it's own thing and not a super faithful sequel.

Okay, So I just beat the second boss. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

I suck at giving impressions so ask any questions and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

EDIT - This game has 58 trophies. Has at least 100 zones (Stages).

Also...

EDIT- Lmao, Pressing start will make it yell out "RED PYRAMID'S KART JAM 3000!"

Carl

Would love some impressions on this. Liked the demo, but would like to hear about the full game.

Can't afford it right now, but definitely one to get down the line if it's good.

The game is structured like the demo. 2 zones and then a boss zone. According to the trophies there are at least 100 Zones it seems.

The Combat gets deeper than the demo though, Timing your hits will allow you to combo. Get up to a 5 combo on something and you can do a execution move.

You also have the Karma Meter. Light gives you healing and protective spells, Blood give you destructive spells. As you level up you learn more spells.

Along with that you can buy Power Moves from the shop. They do things changing Light Monsters to blood monsters and vice-verse, Doing a 360 attack with melee weapons and so on.

There are also traps in the dungeons, in the Demo there was the Spear trap but there is also traps that slow everything thats in its circle to a crawl, strengthens certain alignments, and so on. Both you and enemies can get affected by them.

There are bonus rooms that give you a 1 zone only boost as well. such as super speed, being invisible to enemies for 60 seconds and so on.

You also level up your weapons the more use them. I haven't leveled one yet scince I keep cycling to different ones but once I do I'll tell you what happens, if they only get stronger or get more attributes.

I've also seen monsters of opposing attributes fight each other.

Concept17

Downpour was actually a very good Silent Hill game... it just ran very badly...

Yup, enjoyed it as well. Felt like a proper SH game. It doesn't have the greatest performance, but its not unplayable or anything. Some of the sidequests in the game are fantastic as well.

Top Bottom