• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories |OT| A Different Way Forward

Cornbread78

"with a focus on co-operative multiplayer dungeon crawler style survival horror with RPG elements"

This from the OP has me interested...

TheGrue

Keep your flashlight on and they are going to be in an orange highlighted container that you must have missed somehow.

Yeah, I had it on. Must have been a bug because I went and redid the level and I've found 2 so far. Still making my way through the level to find the third.

Edit - Yeah, found the third. This isn't rocket science or anything and the red highlight of the objects is easy to see, so I am pretty sure it was a bug where it didn't populate the three objects into the level. Was able to get it done, though.

The second environment type is definitely harder than the first - zone 4 starts throwing out modified versions of monsters (like ones that explode soon after they die) as well as a few new types that are more difficult to deal with. Actually died once.

geestack

Me, too. I look at it like I'm getting a hack and slash that isn't just another fantasy game, but instead is in a creepy, weird world. They could have easily left the Silent Hill name off of it and just made it a horror setting, but at the same time, why not use a name people know? Definitely glad I made the purchase and it seems deeper than the demo let on.

Yeah, this is what I think of the game too. I like horror settings and the fact that it's an action RPG set in a weird and creepy setting makes it more appealing than simply another action RPG set in a fantasy world.

Cudder

The second environment type is definitely harder than the first - zone 4 starts throwing out modified versions of monsters (like ones that explode soon after they die) as well as a few new types that are more difficult to deal with. Actually died once.

had to go back to worlds 1-3 to level up and stuff. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nice review. I really enjoyed the demo; it had sort of a Catherine/Persona-ish vibe to it. Think I'm gonna pick this one up when I get the cash. So many good games coming out this month!

Oh god, I really wish there was a SMT Diablo-like.

The game sounds like a lot of fun. How's the multiplayer? is there proper matchmaking? A game browser? How does that all work?

Actually if they decide to stray away from traditional Silent Hill I'd rather them just call it something else. New IP or something. Don't make something totally different and slap an old name on it because that's not what it is. They should have did this with Resident Evil starting with 4 although I get that it wouldn't have made a lot of financial sense.
From what I played of Book of Memories with the demo, I place it right there with Silent Hill Arcade; i.e. let's slap the SH name on it to give it more attention. I can see where people can get enjoyment (see: most Way Forward games) on a pure gameplay level, but aesthetically? It just feels so different to me that it's beyond just 'moving in a different direction'. To me it's like calling Chocobo Racing a Final Fantasy game.

I like Way Forward, but I just didn't enjoy this demo. I don't like the 'feel' of it and it's clear to me the SH name and familiar creatures are just on there as a dressing.
What would we talk about more? A game called 'Silent Hill: Book of Memories' or 'Gothic Terror: The Awakening'?
You could say the same for Shattered Memories (without the SH link it might as well have been called "Frozen Nightmare"), but it was the psychological and emotional elements, combined with the SH link(s), to SM that made it easier for me to get pulled in. It had a huge effect on me and I still think about its themes and ending years later.
Yes, the SH connections probably could have been exorcised and the game could have been sold under a brand new IP. However, as TheJollyCorner pointed out, the same could be said of Shattered Memories, which is regarded by some folks as the best non-Team Silent SH game. Personally, I didn't like it due to various gameplay decisions as well as this very subject: everything 'Silent Hill' could've easily been stripped out and the game could have been made into an interesting new psychological horror IP. Instead, its legacy among those that like it is that it isn't really a SH game but is still pretty decent... and that's ignoring the thoughts of those who didn't like it because it was too different from the classics. That's the price of iterating on an established gameplay formula in a revered franchise.
Book of Memories doesn't do that. It's a series spinoff in a completely different genre, and therefore doesn't need to follow the SH formula if it doesn't want to (although it does on a very basic level). As such, it's infinitely less offensive to a SH fan than the failed attempts to be SH1-3.
That's how I feel about it, at least.

Sorry for the late ass response btw, busy day.

Well, there was one with six dancers in different colors and it said something about going east away from the fire.

If they're going east then you want to start from the west. Away from Fire = start with Red. Therefore, place the Red one on the westmost spot, and then put the rest of the colors down in sequence (colors/sizes/brightness/etc.). So from Red it's usually something like Red to Orange to Yellow and so on.

Yeah, I hate the puzzles in this game where you have to put the various colors in the right slots. It's a shame because if they had done actual logic puzzles like what you see in the Layton series, then they would be something to look forward to instead of dread.

geestack

Oh god, I really wish there was a SMT Diablo-like.

The game sounds like a lot of fun. How's the multiplayer? is there proper matchmaking? A game browser? How does that all work?

You can search for hosted games, which puts you in a lobby until the game starts. You can also create games as a host, so it works pretty well. Voice chat is also decent too, surprised at the support for it, actually. If you don't have a mic, you can use some in-game phrases as well. Only the host gets to progress his story, but everything else you get to keep (experience, weapons, loot). Drops and weapons are shared between players, which makes it a little bit more different experience in single player, where you're just taking everything in sight.

Well, there was one with six dancers in different colors and it said something about going east away from the fire.

with the colors it like Violets to Fire right heading towards the east?

Starting with Purple, Blue, green, yellow, Orange, red. set them left to right. something like that.

NateDrake

Had that puzzle, too. Couldn't solve it for the bonus but I had issue with the dancer color since I'm colorblind to red/green.

AwRy108

Really disappointed in the lack of GAF impressions about this game, did nobody buy this? Mine's arriving tomorrow, so I'll try to contribute.

Ohnonono

Really disappointed in the lack of GAF impressions about this game, did nobody buy this? Mine's arriving tomorrow, so I'll try to contribute.

Impressions are from me that its pretty great. Definitely has some challenge and some meat on its bones. I don't think you will regret getting it. Most non-roguelike dungeon crawlers don't ever hit the tension level in this game when you start to realize your in a bad spot, your supplies are dwindling and you are a couple pieces from advancing a zone.

AwRy108

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
More positive than I'd thought.

Thanks for sharing, this review was very informative. Now I've even more excited for my copy to arrive on Friday. I have to kill a few hours during flight lay-overs next week, so this--along with New Little King's Story and Gravity Rush--will be great to have. Long live the Vita!

Ohnonono

Thanks for sharing, this review was very informative. Now I've even more excited for my copy to arrive on Friday. I have to kill a few hours during flight lay-overs next week, so this--along with New Little King's Story and Gravity Rush--will be great to have. Long live the Vita!

Lol, with those 3 games unless a few hours turns into a few dozen I am sure you have plenty to play!

Cudder

I'm hating the weapon management in this. Obviously I want to keep my best weapon, so that means I can't use it too often because it might break (not enough tool kits to repair lying around). I only have one slot in my backpack for a weapon right now, so I always keep my best weapon holstered, while I use some other crummy weapon unti it breaks, forcing me to use my fists. It's all one big catch 22.

When do I get the next backpack upgrade?

I'm hating the weapon management in this. Obviously I want to keep my best weapon, so that means I can't use it too often because it might break (not enough tool kits to repair lying around). I only have one slot in my backpack for a weapon right now, so I always keep my best weapon holstered, while I use some other crummy weapon unti it breaks, forcing me to use my fists. It's all one big catch 22.

When do I get the next backpack upgrade?

I'm in Zone 9 right now, and already have 3 backpack upgrades.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So is the game fun single player?

I have a flight coming up Sat AM, and don't have time to play the demo, wondering if worth downloading the full game before I go... I'm pretty far into Gravity Rush (the only game I have), but I'm interested in trying something else.

I mostly play on planes (i fly a ton), so probably wont get much MP out of it

I'd like to give this game a shot sometime but $40 is just too much considering how many games I've purchased lately. $20 seems like the sweet spot to me assuming the game is decent as a single player game.

Ohnonono

I have a flight coming up Sat AM, and don't have time to play the demo, wondering if worth downloading the full game before I go... I'm pretty far into Gravity Rush (the only game I have), but I'm interested in trying something else.

I have only played single player so far and I think it's great. So.... sure :)

I've mostly only played Single player, its great. Multiplayer is the same game as Single player except just with extra characters.

Any tips for the Light Guardian? Not sure what I'm supposed to do in its third phase, where it has a constant shield and fires at me whenever it spots me.

geestack

Any tips for the Light Guardian? Not sure what I'm supposed to do in its third phase, where it has a constant shield and fires at me whenever it spots me.

Swing at the projectile it fires at you, you'll reflect it back to him and eventually break down his barrier for some free swings.

Sheik

I'm still mixed on this game, but I'm also still playing it so I must be enjoying it lol. These are my impressions so far through the first 10 zones:

Pros
-Does have the addictive quality of typical dungeon crawlers.
-Does have some unique features such as the Karma system, both in terms of abilities and in choosing your ending.
-Multiple things to collect such as weapons, artifacts, clothing, notes, broadcasts, etc.
-Decent atmosphere and theme, although not as mature as you'd think.
-Variety in zone missions.

Cons
-The game could use some polish like the start menu font, the intro clip and cut scenes, etc.
-Not enough storyline.
-Not enough differentiation between zones.
-Bosses aren't very difficult or creative. (However I've only encountered 3 so far.)
-I find the end of zone puzzles redundant and superfluous. They're basically all the same. Variety here is sorely needed.

Conclusion:
Is this game worth $40? Not in my opinion. If you're a fan of the genre and want a game that doesn't take itself too seriously, it's a pretty good game. Personally, I wouldn't pay over $30 for it.

Also, is anyone having success with the combo system? Maybe I'm using weapons that swing too quickly or my timing is off, but I've never got the execution bonus thingy. At least not that I've noticed.

AwRy108

I'm still mixed on this game, but I'm also still playing it so I must be enjoying it lol. These are my impressions so far through the first 10 zones:

Pros
-Does have the addictive quality of typical dungeon crawlers.
-Does have some unique features such as the Karma system, both in terms of abilities and in choosing your ending.
-Multiple things to collect such as weapons, artifacts, clothing, notes, broadcasts, etc.
-Decent atmosphere and theme, although not as mature as you'd think.
-Variety in zone missions.

Cons
-The game could use some polish like the start menu font, the intro clip and cut scenes, etc.
-Not enough storyline.
-Not enough differentiation between zones.
-Bosses aren't very difficult or creative. (However I've only encountered 3 so far.)
-I find the end of zone puzzles redundant and superfluous. They're basically all the same. Variety here is sorely needed.

Conclusion:
Is this game worth $40? Not in my opinion. If you're a fan of the genre and want a game that doesn't take itself too seriously, it's a pretty good game. Personally, I wouldn't pay over $30 for it.

Also, is anyone having success with the combo system? Maybe I'm using weapons that swing too quickly or my timing is off, but I've never got the execution bonus thingy. At least not that I've noticed.

Thanks for these impressions, Sheik. I had $15 in Amazon credit from my X-Com pre-order, so I got the game for $25 + sales tax; and after reading your thoughts, it sounds like I made the right choice. I could care less for the story (...does anyone really care about Silent Hill stories these days, anyways?), and it sounds like the gameplay is fun and solid. My Vita needs this in it.

Also, I miss your Zero avatar, please switch it back ;-)

Sheik

Thanks for these impressions, Sheik. I had $15 in Amazon credit from my X-Com pre-order, so I got the game for $25 + sales tax; and after reading your thoughts, it sounds like I made the right choice. I could care less for the story (...does anyone really care about Silent Hill stories these days, anyways?), and it sounds like the gameplay is fun and solid. My Vita needs this in it.

Also, I miss your Zero avatar, please switch it back ;-)

Glad to be of service! Just don't kill me if you end up hating it, haha. The gameplay is straight up dungeon crawler but with less abilities and more hacking. Some enemies also have modifiers, but I haven't seen too many yet.

I think you're confusing me with Seik. I unintentionally picked a similar name as mine is in reference to Sheik from Zelda OoT. D:

AwRy108

Glad to be of service! Just don't kill me if you end up hating it, haha. The gameplay is straight up dungeon crawler but with less abilities and more hacking. Some enemies also have modifiers, but I haven't seen too many yet.

I think you're confusing me with Seik. I unintentionally picked a similar name as mine is in reference to Sheik from Zelda OoT. D:

Oops, sorry--I was confusing you w/ Seik.

Either way, your set of impressions were just one of several that swayed me to purchase the game, so no need to be concerned for your safety :)

Also, I decided to go w/ a physical copy of the game rather than digital--which I do whenever possible--so that it'll be easy to sell or trade if I don't totally dig it. Long live physical media!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Got drunk at Nite to Unite, came home and said screw it, bought the game. $40 is a ton of money in my mind, hope it's good!

Argh, I've died in the Water Zones more than all the prior zones combined. Mostly due to poison traps and cancers exploding after I kill them. I need to be more careful now it seems. Everything hits harder so parrying and dodging is more necessary than ever as well.

Anyway, here's a handy link for new players to decide what Charm they want to select in the beginning of the game.
http://ign.com/wikis/silent-hill-book-of-memories/Charms

Z3M0G

Time each button press to be when the weapon strikes the enemy... the camera will zoom in slightly and you should hear an audio queue as well... Get 5 or so in a row and "X" prompt will appear to do execution.

Noting amazing to it... it's just another swing, but you get a satisfying blood stream spewing from the enemies that you hit with it. I suspect you may get a nice karma boost from it.

Top Bottom