• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

RedAssedApe

Banned
I can't see this game selling too well in big part since the marketing for this game is pretty bad.

I don't really ever really remember this series getting any real marketing push from Konami. I always sort of thought that it was one of those word of mouth series that didn't really put out many ads outside a few trailers and print ads. Am I wrong? Its been so long...

kunonabi

Same here, especially if its not all that noticeable while playing.

Problem is the new VA for SH3 are terrible and have a different take on the characters that does clashes with how they were originally. Heather is coming off as a different character than her original incarnation and not for the better. Think Luke screaming at the end of The Empire Strikes Back's 1st special edition only much, much worse.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Problem is the new VA for SH3 are terrible and have a different take on the characters that does clashes with how they were originally. Heather is coming off as a different character than her original incarnation and not for the better. Think Luke screaming at the end of The Empire Strikes Back's 1st special edition only much, much worse.

I haven't heard Douglas's new VA myself, but I noticed some people complaining about him sounding drunk, slurring his speech.

Nekofrog

Banned
I don't really ever really remember this series getting any real marketing push from Konami. I always sort of thought that it was one of those word of mouth series that didn't really put out many ads outside a few trailers and print ads. Am I wrong? Its been so long...

I remember commercials for SH2 being EVERYWHERE, on a wide variety of channels. I also remember the commercial being pretty damn good at presenting the game.

But that was over 10 years ago and I was like 17 or 18 so I don't know I could be wrong.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I remember commercials for SH2 being EVERYWHERE, on a wide variety of channels. I also remember the commercial being pretty damn good at presenting the game.

But that was over 10 years ago and I was like 17 or 18 so I don't know I could be wrong.

You could very well be right. Silent Hill 2 came out during my junior year of college. I didn't watch much TV during that period. This is the only thing I could find on Youtube but I don't remember this commercial at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X87AkUOOTGs

kunonabi

I haven't heard Douglas's new VA myself, but I noticed some people complaining about him sounding drunk, slurring his speech.

He really does and it is incredibly distracting. You always felt kind of bad for Douglas in the original but he comes off as such jerk now. I'm not sure how late game Douglas is going to be effective if he sounds like that the whole time. Heather is far a bigger issue though.

Combichristoffersen

He really does and it is incredibly distracting. You always felt kind of bad for Douglas in the original but he comes off as such jerk now. I'm not sure how late game Douglas is going to be effective if he sounds like that the whole time. Heather is far a bigger issue though.

Found the video in question. I actually don't think Douglas sounds all that bad, but Heather just sounds all wrong. She sounds like a mid to late 20s woman, not a 17 year old girl.

RagnarokX

The filter isn't even optional? What the hell are these people doing? I mean did they just hire the cheapest and most incompetent people imaginable?

"We found some kind of filter that was making everything grainy and ruining the nice clean visuals of the game. It was probably some kind of bug, so we fixed it. We also reduced the amount of fog to increase visibility so you can see the things that are making noise around you!"

Combichristoffersen

The filter isn't even optional? What the hell are these people doing? I mean did they just hire the cheapest and most incompetent people imaginable?

I think someone mentioned that the guys porthing SH 2 and 3 for the HD collection were actually mobile game developers. Although it seems like Hijinx Studios have worked on console games too; http://games.ign.com/objects/143/14340291.html

I honestly think Konami didn't want to spend much on the HD collection, so they just found someone who'd be willing to do the port job for cheap.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Been watching some walkthroughs of the first 30 minutes or so, basically all the stuff we've already seen, but seeing it in better quality... gotta say I think it looks fantastic. Especially the otherworld. The creativity going on is godlike.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Been watching some walkthroughs of the first 30 minutes or so, basically all the stuff we've already seen, but seeing it in better quality... gotta say I think it looks fantastic. Especially the otherworld. The creativity going on is godlike.

Youtube? Recently posted?

edit: yeah i found some

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Playing through the game a second time, I didn't do a sidequest I did the first time and some really weird but somewhat funny, yet terrifying game element has now come into gameplay.

Very minor spoilers.
I guess doing this one side quest stopped this from happening my first playthrough, but now when exploring the town for some reason I'll hear a police car coming for me, only for a Police Car with barbed wire to spawn and a large pack of Screamers to stroll on out from it. It's kind of funny but also getting unnerving since that Police Car is relentless, I swear.

I also did some research online for a few hours and managed to do my first ever game rip, so I'm happy even if I'm buying the official soundtrack anyway. Silent Hill games never have complete soundtracks released so a lot of the music can only be obtained by gamerips.

Yeah. Not a big fan of the cameos

6f00238da7918f56b92295e287eaacf15f52ac5a.jpg

Care to explain?

No :p I think SH is at it's best when people make up their own interpretations of things

Dusk Golem

Trust me, the racist jokes likely won't be able to apply much to this game. About half of the characters in the game are black.

Dusk Golem

This might be a good time to mention since I'm uploading them right now that Silent Hill: Downpour actually has three vocal themes composed by three different artists for the game, just the one by Korn got all the publicity. You only hear them in the credits I believe though.

EDIT: Four technically, since I forgot Mary Elizabeth sang some for Intro Perk Walk. There's also a fifth vocal song, but I don't believe it was composed for the game and plays during an Otherworld session, but it's a very old classic showtune theme.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah. Not a big fan of the cameos

6f00238da7918f56b92295e287eaacf15f52ac5a.jpg

No :p I think SH is at it's best when people make up their own interpretations of things

I had to go back and look at the images to make sure that the chick wasn't originally there. Posted in FFXIII-2 OT for fun.

And screw you for the spoiler tag. LOL

These screenshots look rather good. I'm still torn about getting this game or not... I really miss a good horror game (last one I played was Siren: Blood Curse) but I think I'll wait for more reviews...

If you can, make sure you play Amnesia the dark decent. Somewhat different style, but it is a very good (and scary) horror game.

If we're gonna get that creepy ports that I saw in the comparision video... just one advice...DON'T BUY THE HD COLLECTION, we don't deserve that! :(

If I wasn't so amped for Downpour beforehand, Dusk Golem's impressions would've sold me on it anyway. Thanks for your write-ups dude; your contribution to the thread has been essential.

Japanese cover...

Downpourjp.jpg

Morue

If I wasn't so amped for Downpour beforehand, Dusk Golem's impressions would've sold me on it anyway. Thanks for your write-ups dude; your contribution to the thread has been essential.

Japanese cover...

Downpourjp.jpg

Judging by the writing, I think it's Korean and not Japanese... But it's nice anyway.

Some of the side quest involving investigating an abandoned building or something of the sort, for example. There are quests for other people, but... I guess it didn't phase me much. You have to remember there was a side quest in the first Silent Hill game where you went to get an item for Kaufmann. It's not like you're questing on your way to slay X number of monsters. It's more... Investigating, and fetch quests to put it simply, but they usually have some nice pay-offs about them such as opening up new optional areas or expanding the story more, or giving you an item. I personally felt they worked great with the game, especially with the emphasized focus on exploration. And then these quests can become interesting due to some randomized elements, such as the fact that rain storms in the game happen randomly and when they happen things get pretty crazy.

So basically you've done just 4 sidequests out of 14 (Am i right? Can't find in the topic where i got this bit of info!), and then finished the game at around 14 hours? (Is it correct?)
Sounds impressive. I remember one of the best things about Siren 2 (ps2) being around 30-ish hours long, and for me that's the perfect game time for a dark game based on exploration and plot

I'm also wondering if running away from enemies would actually hurt the exploration and the investigation as you'd rush through the locations.

Top Bottom