• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Truant

Side quest questions.

1. Entered a manequin store, which was empty except for an "old jacket" or something that I can't equip. Anything I need to do here?

2. Movie theatre. Found a bunch of old reels. Projector is broken, and the room next to it is locked. Help!

Also, next main mission is the Monastery. How far am I?

Side quest questions.

1. Entered a manequin store, which was empty except for an "old jacket" or something that I can't equip. Anything I need to do here?

2. Movie theatre. Found a bunch of old reels. Projector is broken, and the room next to it is locked. Help!

The old jacket is for a beggar that'll give you fast travel through the subway tunnels.

There should be a building near the monastery that has a light bulb for the broken projector as well as a ket to the storage room. It also has a shot gun iirc. It's a room with a cash register and a broken mirror.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Side quest questions.

1. The problem is that the game places different items at different locations for different difficulties. However, the Jacket goes to the Homeless Man who is right past the Park next to the Library area, he's in one of the two subway tunnels over there.

2. This changes based on difficulty level. On Hard puzzle difficulty I know the bulb is in a building right next to the entrance gate to the Monastery. However, I also know it can be inside the theater. Have to get the bulb to go in the projector, then put in movies and look for numbers to get a combination. IF you can't figure the combination out I can tell you.

3. And you're about half-way done with the game.

Untracked

If you want to play it, stick the combat on easy. I never, ever found the earlier SH games especislly difficult in that area, and this is certainly no easier on that setting than SH2 or 3 were on normal. It's much, much less frustrating than Homecoming, in my opinion.

I might suggest waiting for a patch / price cut if technical shakiness will bother you, but it weaves a good tale & has a strong atmosphere.
This is good to hear, I'm sure I'll pick it up cheap at some point. All I'm looking for is a decent story, so yeah, Easy is probably the way to go.
I'm not sure why I struggled so much with Homecoming, it's been a while, maybe I played it on Hard or something stupid like that.

HOLY SHIT the entire St. Maria's section was just outstanding. I really hope Vatra does another one. There is so much creativity going on here it's insane.

Marco1

I'm in Northern Ireland. Cheers man, I'll give them a go. I see they're in stock =D

Same here, I ordered it last week and received it next day, I highly recommend shopto.
Although I sold the game 2 days later on amazon, it just wasn't clicking with me. Personally I would wait until it hits the bargain bin

haikira

Same here, I ordered it last week and received it next day, I highly recommend shopto.
Although I sold the game 2 days later on amazon, it just wasn't clicking with me. Personally I would wait until it hits the bargain bin

Was expecting Wednesday. But it'll be a very nice surprise if it's tomorrow.

On the game itself. I've done quite a bit of investigating and watching lets play videos from the first hour or two. I think I know what I'm getting in to. Survival Horror is my favourite genre by a stretch and with the amount coming out these days, I can't afford to be too picky.

haikira

=D

It actually arrived today! The ShopTo advice was perfect. Thanks a lot.

For now on my posts will actually be on topic. Not complaining, about not being able to find a copy of the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
I tried guys. Really did.

From the horrible performance and wretched graphics (PS3 version), to the silly ideas
SCAWWY POLICE CARS GUYS
, to the HORRIBLE gameplay and enemy design
the screamers or shriekers
or whatever they were called... I honestly felt like the design came out of Bioshock -- normally a compliment but not in this case.

Really tiring of the "disintegrating" transition from regular SH to normal SH. Felt it was WAY scarier when it wasn't seen.

And I just have to mention it again, the PS3 version is SO FUCKING BROKEN. Sub 20 FPS constantly, screen tearing everywhere. I wish there was actually a way to hold developers/publishers responsible for this crap post purchase. I guess denying a future purchase is the only way.

Won't be going back to it after 4 hours of suffering it, so I guess I'll never find out why Murphy is in SH.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I want to hear more on this, but people are claiming that the PAL release of Downpour is an updated version of the game that includes several fixes for frame rate and performance with a suggestion that a patch will release soon. A few friends over in Europe are telling me that a lot of issues they've seen in videos of the American version don't exist in the PAL version.

addyb

Just when I think I'm tiring with the game it throws pure brilliance at me. Earlier today I did te hansel and gretel part and thought it was great. I have the pal version (360) and barely get any stuttering.

I want to hear more on this, but people are claiming that the PAL release of Downpour is an updated version of the game that includes several fixes for frame rate and performance with a suggestion that a patch will release soon. A few friends over in Europe are telling me that a lot of issues they've seen in videos of the American version don't exist in the PAL version.

PS3 PAL version does have slowdown issues and is pretty buggy so I dunno...

Still I did enjoy the game. I have a good tolerance for shit in games and under the unpolished shell the core game is solid and as a SH game perhaps the best one since SH3 IMO.

Most annoying bugs for me included Murphy freezing in a ''jesus position'' when trying to pick up weapon while knocked down. Had to load last save but thankfully the game does save pretty often. Other one prevented the completion of one of the sidequests likely because I used some items in wrong order or somethin.

My favourite mindfuck in the game:
At the monastery playground theres a swing. When you turn away from it and look at it again it has changed for a hanging prisoner.

Does this really ever happen? I would think games would be manufactured at the same time...

Cudder

At the monastery playground theres a swing. When you turn away from it and look at it again it has changed for a hanging prisoner.

that part was pretty cool. i did a double take, and was talking to myself during that part. "I swear there wasn't a body here 2 seconds ago.."

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This fucking game has been on my GameQ since release. Yall need to send your copy back to GameFly already! GF must've ordered like two copies of the game!!

You're really too hyperbolic.

I just love awesome, creative horror stuff.
turning the gramophone backwards, the dead body appearing, the murderer coming down the steps, the blood coming from the pictures and then the ghost of the murderer crawling out of the picture and attacking you

May seem hyperbolic to you, but I eat this stuff up. This is exactly why I look forward to SH games and why I think that it's the best horror gaming series.

Cudder

heh3.jpg

sorry, but im always gonna rag on the game to him every chance he gives me.

So Brandon is excited, and while he was excited for homecoming (I was as well), I can see his excitement here justified moreso . I mean... I will say DP is a techinal mess in many ways... but it does so much right in other manners and really taps back into the survival horror idea and themes and gameplay ideas. So I think Brandons excitement is justified. I can say I never replayed homecoming after beating it once when it first came out. I didn't replay it till a few months ago.

Downpour I enjoyed so much I played it three times in a row. Not to say its a pefect game, but for me it was such a return to some classic survival horror ideas and gameplay elements that have been severley lacking this gen and I just absolutely loved it regardless of the problems.

pa22word

Really tiring of the "disintegrating" transition from regular SH to normal SH. Felt it was WAY scarier when it wasn't seen.

Guess you didn't like SH1 that much either....

And I just have to mention it again, the PS3 version is SO FUCKING BROKEN. Sub 20 FPS constantly, screen tearing everywhere..

Even though it's going to be ignored yet again because people think they're too good to listen or something: lower the resolution from 1080p to 720p or lower. Multiple people have reported that it dramatically reduces screen tearing and some have reported slight performance boosts.

Won't be going back to it after 4 hours of suffering it, so I guess I'll never find out why Murphy is in SH

Your loss.

KAOz

Short bus special

Yeah, I thought so too.

Then I stopped to just look around that area, and discovered that it was a looping event. And that kind of took the charm out of it. :(

heh3.jpg

sorry, but im always gonna rag on the game to him every chance he gives me.

Might wanna focus your oh-so scathing barbs towards someone who actually had a say in what technical condition Downpour was released in, and not the design director who left Vatra back in November.

Twattish thing to do really.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Might wanna focus your oh-so scathing barbs towards someone who actually had a say in what technical condition Downpour was released in, and not the design director who left Vatra back in November.

Twattish thing to do really.
Yeah, seriously. He had no bearing on the games framerate.

Vatra's engineers are to blame for that. I'm still surprised at how poorly the game runs considering that it really doesn't seem to be pushing UE3 in any significant way.

addyb

Ok so im upto a rotating room area with cages and a flashlight. Please tell me im close to the end now? The whole level has been a nightmare for me and spoilt what game came before it.

Cudder

Weren't you the one defending the SH HD Collection and saying it wasn't that bad?

In that case, lol.

Yup. In terms of performance (although I haven't loaded up SH3 yet), Downpour easily takes the cake for worse performing game. With all of the other things wrong with the HD collection (missing/changes textures, audio glitches, etc), at the very LEAST those don't affect how the game runs. I can at least PLAY SH2 smoothly.

And also, meh. I actually forgot Brian Gomez left the project a few months before release, but does that excuse him from being responsible for the game as a whole for the 2 years prior to that? Nope. Does a film director allow his team of cinematographers/cameramen to capture shots on film that are rough and shaky when they are supposed to be smooth? No.

Grisby

Ok so im back in the
slammer
again and im upto a rotating room area with cages and a flashlight. Please tell me im close to the end now? The whole
prison
level has been a nightmare for me and spoilt what game came before it.
Yeah, your're at the last level. Might want to spoiler proof that part though.

addyb

Well just finished it and overall I really enjoyed it. I was dreading the last level due to complaints on here about it being combat overload but it wasn't that bad really. Yes the game has its faults with some performance issues, crappy combat and uninspired enemies but they honestly didn't really spoil the game for me one bit.

I've been craving a good survival horror game and this certainly filled that void. Next up is the spectacular hd collection downport! I know for a fact the issues reported wont make it a game breaker for me and it's the only option I have to play these games anyway. (never played sh2 or sh3)

Wow, just finished it.

Great story, creepy as hell, loved some of the revelations at the end, amazing last boss fight, otherworld sections just got more creative and impressive as they went -- I'm pretty much speechless but as far as rankings go I would put it just under SH3 making it my 4th favorite overall.

Seriously, best horror game bar none this gen IMO.

KorrZ

Wow, just finished it.

Great story, creepy as hell, loved some of the revelations at the end, amazing last boss fight, otherworld sections just got more creative and impressive as they went -- I'm pretty much speechless but as far as rankings go I would put it just under SH3 making it my 4th favorite overall.

Definitely agree, I was consistently shocked playing this game that a horror game like this got made in 2012. It's truly the best Silent Hill in years. It's just such a shame that the mainstream media has already written it off as "lolanotherbadsilenthill" without really giving it a chance. Hopefully Konami pays attention to their communities impressions rather than the press and leaves the franchise in Vatra's hands.

Definitely agree, I was consistently shocked playing this game that a horror game like this got made in 2012. It's truly the best Silent Hill in years. It's just such a shame that the mainstream media has already written it off as "lolanotherbadsilenthill" without really giving it a chance. Hopefully Konami pays attention to their communities impressions rather than the press and leaves the franchise in Vatra's hands.

it would be beyond criminal if the same team doesn't stay on. yes I would hope for better technical performance but that was literally my only problem with the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
Guess you didn't like SH1 that much either....

Even though it's going to be ignored yet again because people think they're too good to listen or something: lower the resolution from 1080p to 720p or lower. Multiple people have reported that it dramatically reduces screen tearing and some have reported slight performance boosts.

Your loss.

Did it before I even played it. Not only was it NOT any more stable, but it was HIDEOUS to look at. I'm not lowering my standards for this piece of shit.

Wow, just finished it.

Agree with Brandon here. Also I sent you a friend request on xbox man.

I hope Vatra gets another chance and irons out some performance issues cause I think they got what it takes.

pa22word

Did it before I even played it. Not only was it NOT any more stable, but it was HIDEOUS to look at. I'm not lowering my standards for this piece of shit.

The game's native res is 720p, it didn't look any worse because upscaling does practically nothing to IQ and in fact sometimes makes it worse when the game utilizes high amounts of anti aliaising (ie Alan Wake) by blurring the textures something terrible. This game uses a seemingly high amount of FXAA or something, and when upscaled results in some really weird blurring and for whatever reason a ton of screen tearing.

First of all saying it looks "HIDEOUS" in its native res is moronic, and shows you really don't know what you are talking about. Not to mention you're not "lowering your standards" as that's the resolution the game is rendering at regardless, so arbitrarily setting it to 1080p to have it be blurred to hell and back and have more screen tearing just to say you had it set at 1080p isn't exactly the smartest COA tbqh...

Lime

Wow, just finished it.

I'm sorry, but while I haven't actually played the game, this post just seems too hyperbolic. I know the feeling of finishing a game and being ecstatic about it, but I also know that this immediate sensation tends to bias or overlook the flaws of the game in question. In my experience it's usually better to let the impressions brew and mature a little, while giving the aspects of the game more thoughts before proceeding to communicate broad, overtly optimistic claims, such as "best horror game bar none this gen". Just a minor comment :).

pa22word

such as "best horror game bar none this gen".

If he doesn't have access to a gaming PC that's a pretty easy claim to make, as horror games this gen have all been either terrible (Alone in the Dark 360/PC) or faux-horror disguised action games (Dead Space) on consoles.

eXistor

Finished it last night. The final area wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but it was by far the least fun to play. All in all I had fun, the game isn't scary in the least (it's way too in your face), but at least it had atmosphere. The side-quests are probably my favorite aspect of the game. Most of them don't make any kind of sense
"oh a guy without a heart, better go find his heart then!" What? why?
, but they give you nice little stories.

Thank fuck I put Game Difficulty on Easy though (puzzles on hard), the combat at the end of the game was frustrating enough as it was, not to mention totally unneeded. In the end I think it's a decent addition to the series. Some major flaws (a technical mess) and strange design decisions (pretty much all the Otherworld sections...ugh) don't really change the fact that the game has the right idea. If they manage to build from this and learn from their mistakes, Vatra's next Silent Hill (if there'll be a next one that is) could be very interesting indeed.

Lime

If he doesn't have access to a gaming PC that's a pretty easy claim to make, as horror games this gen have all been either terrible (Alone in the Dark 360/PC) or faux-horror disguised action games (Dead Space) on consoles.

Then the claim should be more specific, e.g. "best horror game on platform X/Y/Z bar none this gen". As it stands now, it encompasses all survival horror games this generation.

Top Bottom