• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

I forgot to mention before, but this is in the HD collection (and probably the PS2 games too, but I haven't tried it with them). It worked with the katana too, so likely any melee weapon will work as long as you have the Princess Heart costume equipped. Heather sounds different in the HD release due to the reworked voice overs; I don't recall her screaming like that when using the spiked maul.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I guess they were inspired by The Corinthian

corinthian.jpg

So uh, I just picked this up on whim today without even thinking and just assumed it would be fun to play two games which are generally well liked and that I have never touched, but reading the latest posts in this thread suggests to me that I'm an idiot for spending real money on this. What exactly is wrong with these ports? I'm diving through this thread but it's hard to find the details.

Here's a good break down of SH2's issues:

http://shshatteredmemories.com/blog/2012/03/25/hd-collection/#more-10572

Combichristoffersen

Never knew Silent Hill 2 for PC looked like this. Guess it must be a special edition.

Edit: Dammit, my order for SH2: DC for PS2 got cancelled. Apparently there was some bug in the seller's software, making the game show up even though it wasn't in stock. None of the other sellers on Amazon UK ship to Norway, and the PAL Director's Cut version seems impossible to find on eBay :<

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lime said:
I just think the simplicity of the lower quality fog is not as prioritized in my playthrough, as high resolution, AA, AF, lack of bugs, screen shot functionality
Fog is like 50% of SHs atmosphere. Shadows are the other 50%. As far as I can tell - PC version downgraded 100% of the atmosphere - though personally I took more offense to shadows out of the two things.

I was actually looking to the collection primarily for that reason (SH2 in HD without downgraded visuals), but yea, that went a complete 180 from the expectations too -_-

I was hoping to get this today along with the new Silent Hill , looks like i'll be giving both a pass lol

Downpour's looking like a pretty decent game. I've only played 40 mins or so but it seems atmospherically sound thus far. It may well go to shit, but it appears to be reasonably well appreciated by SH fans and not nearly the catastrophe Homecoming was.

So even after the patch it's crap?

Pretty much. There was a weird glitch in which a certain monster in Silent Hill 3 was blue and black that I never saw again after the patch. However, there still exists a lot of character slowdown, voice-synch issues and frame-rate stuttering. Basically, that patch was pretty worthless and the kicker is that it's almost 300mb!

Eurogamer said:
2001's Silent Hill 2 has suffered the most in transition. I'll leave the technical dissection to the more capable hands of Digital Foundry (who will look at the much-derided PS3 release, as well as the 360 version reviewed here, in a future article) - but the main problem is that they've buggered up the fog.

Looking forward to the DF article.

People are saying that the EU version doesn't have as many fog problems, and lots of other problems found in the US version are gone, too.

Apparently

People are saying that the EU version doesn't have as many fog problems, and lots of other problems found in the US version are gone, too.

Apparently

I am 100% that is just people who haven't seen the comparisons, haven't played the game in years (or at all) and are taking the remaining fog as what is meant to be there. I hate it when people do that. I think the early reviews from European sources tell us all we need to know.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GAAAHAHAHA!

And Downpour was like a 4.5, right? Fuck IGN.
Again, Downpour is actually somewhat inferior to this collection technically. For as badly mangled as the HD Collection really is, the games still run smoother and suffer from fewer visual issues than Downpour. I really enjoyed Downpour, of course, but it's an absolute mess from a technical standpoint. Of course, Downpour is also MUCH more ambitious technically with massive areas streamed in rather than relying on loading screens between each and every room.

The issue here is that these are OLDER games that look and run much worse than they did on the original hardware.

Combichristoffersen

Again, Downpour is actually somewhat inferior to this collection technically. For as badly mangled as the HD Collection really is, the games still run smoother and suffer from fewer visual issues than Downpour. I really enjoyed Downpour, of course, but it's an absolute mess from a technical standpoint. Of course, Downpour is also MUCH more ambitious technically with massive areas streamed in rather than relying on loading screens between each and every room.

The issue here is that these are OLDER games that look and run much worse than they did on the original hardware.

SH3 runs like complete shit on PS3 (slow, choppy and occasional 1-3 second freezes), so I dread to see what Downpour runs like then.

dark10x said:
the games still run smoother and suffer from fewer visual issues than Downpour.
I would argue that point. Especially in the case of Silent Hill 3 which was butchered visually, IMO. It may "run smooth" but the missing effect, change in color tone have robbed the game of any semblance of the atmosphere originally present. Add in the audio issues with both games and I think I could make a pretty good case on why that statement is incorrect. Not to mention your comment would only apply to the 360 version of the game. The fact that the Collection is based on games from the previous generation of consoles and still can't manage a solid framerate on the PS3 is laughable if it wasn't so depressing.

That having been said, the comparison is apples to oranges, anyway. In the case of the Collection we have a frame of reference for what these games SHOULD look and play like. We have perfectly viable versions in the wild to compare it to and because of that, the changes and issues are far more egregious, IMO. Downpour has its problems but it's a new release with no frame of reference to compare it to other than its peers in the genre (of which there are very few anymore)and other titles that utilize the Unreal 3 engine more efficiently. Your comment seems to ignore the fundamental experience in favor of saying the game deserved a 4.5 because it has technical issues while the Collection deserves higher because it "runs smooth". Maybe I've misunderstood you there, but again I can't agree.

dark10x

SH3 runs like complete shit on PS3 (slow, choppy and occasional 1-3 second freezes), so I dread to see what Downpour runs like then.
It runs like complete shit. When exploring the town you get constant hitches, stutters, tons of screen tearing, and sub-30 fps performance. It's a mess.

Here's some spoiler free gameplay demonstrating just how choppy the game can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kcqTVtu1jGE#t=478s

That's not even as severe as it can get (not even close). Dat tearing!

Downpour has its problems but it's a new release with no frame of reference to compare it to other than its peers in the genre (of which there are very few anymore). Your comment seems to ignore the fundamental experience in favor of saying the game deserved a 4.5 because it has technical issues while the Collection deserves higher because it "runs smooth". Maybe I've misunderstood you there, but again I can't agree.
Whoa whoa, you've misunderstood me there. I actually LOVE Downpour. It's an awesome experience and definitely the best thing Silent Hill related we've received in years. I'm just crushed by the technical problems. It really does suffer from the slowest performance in a modern game I've experienced in the last few years. It's really REALLY bad.

RPGCrazied

Aw. I was going to get downpour on the cheap. But I cannot stand screen tearing. I will look over the game, even if its AAA material.

legacyzero

Banned

It just has some frame rate hitching and a little slow texture pop in. No way is Downpour inferior to this mess.

Al though I did play the 360 version of Downpour though =/

dark10x

It just has some frame rate hitching and a little slow texture pop in. No way is Downpour inferior to this mess.

Al though I did play the 360 version of Downpour though =/
It's better on 360 for sure.

There's more than a little hitching, though. Wandering around town is torturous as a result of the constant hitches, tearing, and slowdown. It's a mess.

RPGCrazied

If its one thing I've noticed, PS3 games of multi platform titles, tearing is most likely going to be present in the PS3 version. Why is that? Is it really hard to enable vsync when developing on PS3?

Combichristoffersen

It runs like complete shit. When exploring the town you get constant hitches, stutters, tons of screen tearing, and sub-30 fps performance. It's a mess.

Here's some spoiler free gameplay demonstrating just how choppy the game can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kcqTVtu1jGE#t=478s

That's not even as severe as it can get (not even close). Dat tearing!

From what I could see of that video it runs much, much better than SH3 on PS3. The framerate in SH3 is so bad it was literally nauseating, and barely playable at all.

dark10x

If its one thing I've noticed, PS3 games of multi platform titles, tearing is most likely going to be present in the PS3 version. Why is that? Is it really hard to enable vsync when developing on PS3?
Eh, that's not really true. It's actually more common for PS3 games to use triple buffering (which never happens on 360). It is more common for performance issues to crop up on PS3, though.

There's tons of tearing in Downpour on 360 as well, though, don't believe otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9NbxXRMUe6I#t=376s

Does this look smooth to you?

From what I could see of that video it runs much, much better than SH3 on PS3. The framerate in SH3 is so bad it was literally nauseating, and barely playable at all.
I think the issue you're seeing is actual slowdown in that the game continues to render all frames even when performance dips resulting in slow motion. Downpour just drops frames and tears like crazy instead. Could you find me a video of SH3 running that poorly? I'd like to see it. :p

RPGCrazied

Eh, that's not really true. It's actually more common for PS3 games to use triple buffering (which never happens on 360). It is more common for performance issues to crop up on PS3, though.

There's tons of tearing in Downpour on 360 as well, though, don't believe otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9NbxXRMUe6I#t=376s

Does this look smooth to you?

I think the issue you're seeing is actual slowdown in that the game continues to render all frames even when performance dips resulting in slow motion. Downpour just drops frames and tears like crazy instead.

Ok, should I rephrase that to, is vsync hard to enable on consoles? Like the tearing in War for Cybertron is bad on PS3, 360 has none. The tearing is bad in the AC games on PS3, don't think its that bad on 360. Personally I'd deal with a shit framerate to get no tearing. 19-20fps doesn't bother me.

dark10x

Ok, should I rephrase that to, is vsync hard to enable on consoles? Like the tearing in War for Cybertron is bad, 360 has none. The tearing is bad in the AC games on PS3, don't think its that bad on 360. Personally I'd deal with a shit framerate to get no tearing. 19-20fps doesn't bother me.
No it's not. It's a developer choice. If they disable v-sync the framerate would crash harder, basically. Saint's Row The Third actually has a v-sync on/off option in the menu (as do previous entries). With v-sync disabled the framerate averages around 25 fps while enabling (which eliminates tearing) results in a framerate that sticks to 20 fps most of the time with occasionally leaps up to 30 fps.

There's so many things to consider once you get into refresh rates, v-sync, triple buffering and the like. A lot of developers drop the ball and the results are poor. This is common even with some PC games where locking at 60 fps still results in frame judder and other issues.

Combichristoffersen

I think the issue you're seeing is actual slowdown in that the game continues to render all frames even when performance dips resulting in slow motion. Downpour just drops frames and tears like crazy instead. Could you find me a video of SH3 running that poorly? I'd like to see it. :p

I don't think there are any videos of SH3 on PS3 on YouTube, but the game is probably the single worst port I've ever seen. The game will run at normal speed, before suddenly slowing down, then speeding up again, then a 1-3 second freeze, then back to normal, and down to crawling again. It's hilariously broken and terrible.

Edit: Even the intro video had two occasions of framedrops :lol

dark10x

OK, I'm watching some footage now. It definitely looks bad but in a very different way than Downpour. That weird skipping in the animation is EXTREMELY bizarre, though. Amazingly awful.

Danny-Boy

Damn the game is a mess. Wanted to witness it myself but didn't think it was this bad.

Silent Hill 2 - I was only able to make it to the blood stain on the road before I turned it off. Constant stuttering, frame rate dips, lip sync is way off, subtitles don't keep up with speech. Suprisingly the fog isn't a bad as I thought it would be and new voice actors are good.

Silent Hill 3 - Got in a few hours and found it slightly playable unlike 2. Some slight stuttering and a few instances of slow down when a few enemies are on screen. Don't take this the wrong way, it's very bad but slightly tolerable.

Not sure if I should return it or hold out for a patch. Has Konami said anything? Are they working on it? Can't believe they would release a product in this condition.

Combichristoffersen

Not sure if I should return it or hold out for a patch. Has Konami said anything? Are they working on it? Can't believe they would release a product in this condition.

No word regarding a patch. TBH I don't know if it's even possible to salvage the wreck that this collection is. To fix it, the games would most likely have to be ported over again from scratch by someone competent.

hertog

Bought the EU version of it (it was only 20 bucks) and haven;t noticed any bugs yet.

I went with the new voices, but the breathing annoys me (sounds like a saw).
Do people here recommend using the original voices?

kunonabi

Bought the EU version of it (it was only 20 bucks) and haven;t noticed any bugs yet.

I went with the new voices, but the breathing annoys me (sounds like a saw).
Do people here recommend using the original voices?

I certainly do but most people like these boring and mismatched new ones. You don't have a choice with SH3 and those voices are the real trainwreck.

Top Bottom