• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Cudder

My first run through SH2 on Normal/Normal had some pretty rough stats lol. Although it said I beat the game in 4 hours and 15 minutes, and that was with me exploring a whole lot, not using a guide or whatever. So the 3 hour limit for the 10 star run should be pretty easy. Also it said I collected like 250 items, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But I didn't even get 75 kills by either fighting or killing, so that kinda surprised me.

Either way, I can't wait to get this Sh2 plat. :)

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Well fuck I don't have a PS2 or an original Xbox :(.

Hey, I was looking up all the 360 BC issues with this game, and found this interesting YouTube video that claims it ain't necessarily bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bEWIWaw3PM&feature=g-hist&context=G2a1c4f7AHT3PqHgAGAA

Check out his comments. I'm thinking for the $10 a copy of the game would run, it would be worth a try—I just sold my PS2 a couple of months ago, so I don't particularly want to run out and get another one either.

Hey, I was looking up all the 360 BC issues with this game, and found this interesting YouTube video that claims it ain't necessarily bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bEWIWaw3PM&feature=g-hist&context=G2a1c4f7AHT3PqHgAGAA

Check out his comments. I'm thinking for the $10 a copy of the game would run, it would be worth a try—I just sold my PS2 a couple of months ago, so I don't particularly want to run out and get another one either.

Never played it on 360 but this disagrees

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=sh2360

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Yeah, I read that too. I notice the video I linked, though, is a lot newer than the videos showing the glitches and (I think) the other article. Maybe there was a newer update.

It's probably sent seperately but that's kind of worrying as that was one of the only reasons I was thinking of picking it up now too :/

They've also dropped the price by £3 when it remains officially unreleased (until tomorrow) but charged me at the higher rate. I know it's not a huge amount, but really? Not amending exiti g pre-orders to fit a pre-release price change? Suffice to say I've emailed about both issues. Never had a problem with Zavvi in the past.

There are more than that. One of those changes severly undercuts the following scene. The bigger problem is Heather's new VA. When the most important part of the game is shot to hell you have a problem, especially since SH3 has never had the universal acceptance SH2 and especially since he won't have the proper context going into it any since the collection is incomplete. The audio design is also completely ruined since they redid and shuffled musical tracks. Core elements of the game are inferior and make for a lesser game.

edit: just saw the redone videotape scene from the collection. Just terrible. I don't know why they thought the cheap tv border and slow zoom would be a good idea.

From everything I've seen so far, it's the worse port to have been released by a major company in a long, long time. If there were an example I could think of in the last 15 years, I'm sure it would've sprung to mind, but nothing has.

I hate the notion that anyone unhappy about the changes is full of hot air; that's shit, Konami want your money, they'll know that MOST of that money is going to come from existing fans who know the games and want a faithful HD collection. It's an abysmal port and if they're planning on fixing it, they need to say something - if they've rushed it out the door to coincide with Downpour and will be issuing a patch (or completed game, in this case...) , they should be making their excuses and issuing a fix.

People aren't "full of hyperbole" for wanting a competent product. I'd agree if the MGS or Ico / SotC collections got such a reaction rather than the comparatively minor grumbling and a general understanding of their minor issues, but they didn't.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
From everything I've seen so far, it's the worse port to have been released by a major company in a long, long time. If there were an example I could think of in the last 15 years, I'm sure it would've sprung to mind, but nothing has.
Oh there have been many ports much worse than this. It's just that this generation has been very kind to most ports with even the worst ports looking better than what we had seen in the past. The differences are pretty minor (usually coming down to framerate and image quality).

Splinter Cell Double Agent on PS3 *WAS* pretty damn awful, though, and right up there with the SH Collection. Silent Hill wins out, though, as these are ports of games designed for a much older system. There's no excuse.

FINALBOSS

Banned
In all seriousness...the SH shit wouldn't be ALLL that bad if I could run in a straight line for longer than 5 seconds without crip walking everywhere. Seriously that pisses me off to NO end.

Also attacking seems SOOOOO fucking slow.

Levito

Banned
In all seriousness...the SH shit wouldn't be ALLL that bad if I could run in a straight line for longer than 5 seconds without crip walking everywhere. Seriously that pisses me off to NO end..

Yeah it's really distracting, feels almost like your controller is losing the wireless signal.

UrbanRats

Well fuck I don't have a PS2 or an original Xbox :(.

I don't know about that one, but SH4 on 360 had a weird ass bug, you could see black lines between all the polygons and shit.
Also, SH2(PS2) on the PS3 (60gb) had also several bugs, for example James' leg would disappear in his idle animation.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted

i have i been playing Silent Hill 2 on the 360 alittle bit because of the Silent Hill HD Collection talk there are 1 are 2 Texture bugs but nothing as bad as that web site his said. I am at the Blue Creek apartment so I am not that far in the game.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
i have i been playing alittle bit because of the Silent Hill HD Collection talk there are 1 are 2 Texture bugs but nothing as bad as that web site his said. I am at the apartment so I am not that far in the game.

That's good to hear; I just nabbed a copy on eBay so I'm looking forward to som real fog again.

Between Silent Hill: Downpour and Silent Hill HD, which do you think will end up selling more?
Does returning PS3 copies for 360 copies still count towards the overall number or are they removed from the equation?

I would hope Downpour, but I suspect it will be HD collection.

kunonabi

Between Silent Hill: Downpour and Silent Hill HD, which do you think will end up selling more?

Hard to say. Someone people have opted to avoid the collection but a bunch of people seem to accept any shit Konami puts out so the collection will probably do just fine.

Downpour has been a critical letdown but the fans seem into it. I'm going to guess the collection as well.

Shit...even the foghorn has gone?!

http://shshatteredmemories.com/blog/2012/03/25/hd-collection/#more-10572

And te breathing /radio loops? Fuck me.

And LOL at the fog in the comparison videos...that really hammers home the catastrophic visual failure of this thing. Did someone give Hijinx an alpha version of the originals to work from?

Holy shit at the out of breath sound.
KuGsj.gif

uIY1q.jpg

Persona7

Banned
TIME TO SAW SOME WOOD.

Did they remove the easy way to get the chainsaw as well? I accidentally saved over my main save file before starting a new game and it wasn't there when I selected beginner and hard.

kunonabi

Playing SH1 again

Game does more in the first twenty minutes than every game post 3 combined. Now some frog or something in the backyard is trying join in on the fun.

Fun note: First two times I played SH I missed the shotgun in the school. I did manage to find it in the police station on the second playthrough though.

Xav

In my opinion Silent Hill 2/3 are not exactly games I'd kill to see in HD, they are dark gritty slow paced games to begin with. I don't think they'd benefit that much from enhanced visuals when the original vision was to create a "dirty distorted" image in the first place. Don't get me wrong 1080p 60FPS would be nice but the part of a HD Remaster of Silent Hill 2/3 that would excite me the most is the addition of Digital 5.1 surround sound.
Basically I recommend people just stick to the PS2 versions and don't sit right in front of the screen, honestly it looks okay to me and I'm playing these on a 46inch Samsung LED.

As for the HD Collection, it's easily the biggest fuck up since this...

mvaK0.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Even the intro movie in SH3 HD had two framerate drops from what I could see last night, or at least it seemed to skip/chug twice. Embarrassing.

Other than taking up space on harddrive? Not really. Nobody has mentioned improvements and some people even reported worse performance.

The office building monster blocking the exit in Silent Hill 3 wasn't blue after they patched it. I played SH3 about four or five times in a row and that blue texture glitch never happened after that first time which was before the patch.

Even the intro movie in SH3 HD had two framerate drops from what I could see last night, or at least it seemed to skip/chug twice. Embarrassing.

I noticed that too.

Playing SH1 again

Game does more in the first twenty minutes than every game post 3 combined. Now some frog or something in the backyard is trying join in on the fun.

Fun note: First two times I played SH I missed the shotgun in the school. I did manage to find it in the police station on the second playthrough though.

I wan to join into the fun! Not sure how SH1 has aged, but I remember it looking very rough even in PS2 days. Atmosphere was still top notch though.

A refund is basically the only apology I'd be interested in. There's a lot of things I could've used $40 for, and all of them would've been more useful than a pretty box that holds a worthless disc.

The title also kinda feels unfair to the Spectrum. It had competently made games, at least.

So when I played this the first time, I noticed that Maria's eye colors were different when the two Pyramid Heads knock her off near the end of the game. I'm making a YouTube video on this game, so I wanted to include this. I went to go take a screenshot from the video and much to my horror...this was not a miscolored eye...

wUfVP.png

IT'S FUCKING TEETH AND GUMS IN HER RIGHT EYE.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. :LOL

Anteater

So when I played this the first time, I noticed that Maria's eye colors were different when the two Pyramid Heads knock her off near the end of the game. I'm making a YouTube video on this game, so I wanted to include this. I went to go take a screenshot from the video and much to my horror...this was not a miscolored eye...

http://i.imgur.com/wUfVP.png[IMG]

IT'S FUCKING TEETH AND GUMS IN HER RIGHT EYE.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. :LOL[/QUOTE]

haha, what the fuck, that's amazing

Varshes

I played a little bit of SH2 on PS3 when it first came out, after the patch, and the stuttering every 5 steps while running around town was infuriating. I just tried out the 360 version and it's much better, it only did that twice on the way to the apartments. Actually enjoying this right now.

So uh, I just picked this up on whim today without even thinking and just assumed it would be fun to play two games which are generally well liked and that I have never touched, but reading the latest posts in this thread suggests to me that I'm an idiot for spending real money on this. What exactly is wrong with these ports? I'm diving through this thread but it's hard to find the details.

Top Bottom