• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

I'm really thinking about just buying a CRT TV for cheap and playing some PS2 games (these included) over the summer.

Think it's worth it over playing PS2 games on an HD LCD?

YES.

PS2 games look fugly on an LCD, even on component. Xbox games are alright, but PS2 games look like hot garbage.

Get a CRT with component inputs and all your old-gen games will be gorgeous.

Just played Silent Hill 3 HD for the first time, I never played SH3 originally. Is it supposed to be like a blurry effect when you first enter the mall? It was only in 2 specific hallways so I thought it might be a part of the game? I somehow doubt it cause it was pretty bad, it was really hurting my eyes. Luckily it seems to have gone away.

No. The HD SH3 has some really weird motion blur going on. Definitely not like that in the original version. Just one of many bugs in this shit release.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
VG1ZH.jpg

Dug these guys out of their home in my shelf to pay them some proper respect. For me, this is Silent Hill right here. The entire series. Nothing else exists.

2 looks pretty great on my LCD, a bit blurry yeah, but not as bad as I thought it would. The deep, swirling fog and soft lighting just looks incredible. Better resolution and clarity isn't worth trading off everything else that's lost in the PC and HD ports in my opinion. It's not as though visibility is a major aspect of the game anyway. ;) I'd have it hooked up to my CRT but I don't have a good sound system for it.. Silent Hill is all about the audio.

Just got through "Blookhaven" hospital now in SH2 and damn... that hallway. That hallway. The hairs on my neck are still standing up. Such an incredibly chilling moment.

I'm really thinking about just buying a CRT TV for cheap and playing some PS2 games (these included) over the summer.

Think it's worth it over playing PS2 games on an HD LCD?

If you feel that the money spent on that is worthwhile, go for it. As people have mentioned before, the Silent Hill games were developed for those television sets in mind, so with the PS2 copies you're getting the definitive experience. Is it something you'll continue to use down the line, or do you think it will just gather dust after using it to play your games? It really depends on the price and whether or not you feel you'll get enough use out of it to justify the purchase.

Persona7

Banned
CRTs are awesome for older consoles.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 look fantastic over component on my CRT even if they only output 480i.

Dug these guys out of their home in my shelf to pay them some proper respect. For me, this is Silent Hill right here. The entire series. Nothing else exists.

That Silent Hill 2 has the reversible Pyramid Head cover with the "MASTER OF HORROR ADVENTURE" tag-line, right? Does Silent Hill 3 have a reversible cover as well?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Heh, not at all. SH2's manual is almost all white space with small pictures and blocks of text. Minimalism to the extreme.
3's is basically just a carboard pamphlet that holds the mini cd soundtrack sleeve and a few pages of documentation. :p

Heh, not at all. SH2's manual is almost all white space with small pictures and blocks of text. Minimalism to the extreme.
3's is basically just a carboard pamphlet that holds the mini cd soundtrack sleeve and a few pages of documentation. :p

Well that sounds disappointing. At least the SH2 reversible cover is pretty cool.

Thanks for answering my questions. I've always been curious about the overseas Silent Hill releases when it comes to artwork and packaging.

Lime

Managed to get a copy of Silent Hill 3 on PC. Got the FOV tool working, but when I try to change the resolution in the disp.ini it keeps giving me a "Access is denied" message. Do I need to run the patcher like Silent Hill 2?

You sure you aren't running SH3 while editing the .ini file? If you aren't and still are getting the message, try to see if you have locked yourself out from some permission rights in Windows.

randomwab

I just got to Pyramid Head's room in Silent Hill 2, and the hanging bodies were there. Wasn't this reported to have been removed? Was it just a glitch?

Nemesis_

I just got to Pyramid Head's room in Silent Hill 2, and the hanging bodies were there. Wasn't this reported to have been removed? Was it just a glitch?

OMG THE BODIES ARE REMOVED AND THE RAPE SCENE HAS BEEN CENSORED MANGGGG

(Both were present in my copy too)

UrbanRats

It was initially reported as something they removed, but they then corrected the page, saying it actually was a glitch/bug.
Just like the PH scene.
The number of bugs in this thing, at this point, is beyond counting, so i don't even care anymore.

Truant

Damn the game is a mess. Wanted to witness it myself but didn't think it was this bad.

Silent Hill 2 - I was only able to make it to the blood stain on the road before I turned it off. Constant stuttering, frame rate dips, lip sync is way off, subtitles don't keep up with speech. Suprisingly the fog isn't a bad as I thought it would be and new voice actors are good.

Silent Hill 3 - Got in a few hours and found it slightly playable unlike 2. Some slight stuttering and a few instances of slow down when a few enemies are on screen. Don't take this the wrong way, it's very bad but slightly tolerable.

Not sure if I should return it or hold out for a patch. Has Konami said anything? Are they working on it? Can't believe they would release a product in this condition.

PS3? They already released a patch.

However, there's claims that the patch didn't fix any of the problems that existed with the game. The PS3 version still suffers from terrible framerate in certain areas of the game along with audio desyncing issues.

and it didn't change any of the graphical things downgrades either. People has been speculating and trying to figure out what it changed but it seems like it really didn't do shit.

OMG THE BODIES ARE REMOVED AND THE RAPE SCENE HAS BEEN CENSORED MANGGGG

(Both were present in my copy too)

The rape scene has always been there. Just cut a bit, like the first 4 seconds is missing on ps3 (which it seemed to be for everyone, looking through lets plays on youtube)

and it didn't change any of the fog. People has been speculating and trying to figure out what it changed but it seems like it really didn't do shit.

Clearly for redemption we should be entitled to free DLC that replaces the entire dialog of James Sunderland in Cutscenes with him breathing in the new voice, regardless of what voice is selected.

randomwab

Just noticed that the credits for Silent Hill 2 are taken from the Xbox version. Is that what they used as the basis of the port? Could that explain some of the technical issues and glitches?

Edit: Just ran through Born from a Wish with the original voice track. The sound in the last cutscene with Ernest is screwed. Sounds like it was recorded with a handheld mic from a shitty TV set or something. This collection is so inconsistent it's shocking.

Marco1

I always loved the ending of 2, when I first played it I was so glad that I understood the whole game after watching it.
There is something extremely lonely and sombre watching him sitting on the bed in the apartment.

Got my EU copy. It's better than I feared after reading the thread (SH2), perfectly playable and all. No cripplewalk for me thank god. Sound seems just fine exept when using pistol it makes this weird high pitched sound that I guess is supposed to be the bullet shell but it just sounds weird. Some slowdown on outside areas especially if there are multiple monsters nearby, inside areas work fine. Fog is fine. New voices on Mary and James sound wrong, Angela is way better than original and Eddie is Eddie.

Still it is pretty sad that it doesn't run 60fps when Konami (Bluepoint :p) could do it with MGS3 and I'd imagine its much more demanding game.

As for the endings: all my friends and me got the leave ending first. Id imagine its the ending most people get on their first playtrough.

kunonabi

Got my EU copy. It's better than I feared after reading the thread (SH2), perfectly playable and all. No cripplewalk for me thank god. Sound seems just fine exept when using pistol it makes this weird high pitched sound that I guess is supposed to be the bullet shell but it just sounds weird. Some slowdown on outside areas especially if there are multiple monsters nearby, inside areas work fine. Fog is fine. New voices on Mary and James sound wrong, Angela is way better than original and Eddie is Eddie.

Still it is pretty sad that it doesn't run 60fps when Konami (Bluepoint :p) could do it with MGS3 and I'd imagine its much more demanding game.

As for the endings: all my friends and me got the leave ending first. Id imagine its the ending most people get on their first playtrough.

All the great little touches and nuances to James's character are gone with this new actor. I'm not saying it's Baker's fault but is obvious these new performances weren't done with the same care and attention to detail.

Ahasverus

All the great little touches and nuances to James's character are gone with this new actor. I'm not saying it's Baker's fault but is obvious these new performances weren't done with the same care and attention to detail.
Nop ,it's not bad, and they were not more "little tuches" before than now. I think a lot of users thing have a strong case of rose tinted nostalgia contact lenses.

randomwab

I do like Baker and I think he gives a great performance, but I think the difference between his and Cihi is how their voices match with James' mental state through the course of the game. Cihi plays it very weak and almost scared until the last third of the game when his voice begins to grow confidence. It really fit with the story. Baker gives a better all round performance, but his feels like one tone; it doesn't develop.

It's like Cihi played James as though he didn't know what he himself had done and was slowly finding out along with the player, whereas Baker played James like he already knew what he'd done and it was only the player who was finding out. If that makes sense. :/

Also, having replayed 2 I did my usual of rewatching the Making of Silent Hill 2. Given the HD Collection catastrophe, this part seemed so relevant.

Nop ,it's not bad, and they were not more "little tuches" before than now. I think a lot of users thing have a strong case of rose tinted nostalgia contact lenses.

I played the original SH2 on the Xbox on Thursday. Cihi's voice is much better. Baker's deep, breathy voice doesn't match James whatsoever.

I do like Baker and I think he gives a great performance, but I think the difference between his and Cihi is how their voices match with James' mental state through the course of the game. Cihi plays it very weak and almost scared until the last third of the game when his voice begins to grow confidence. It really fit with the story.

This is also the problem I had with the new Eddie. Original Eddie starts out sounding really scared and in denial, but once you find him in the prison, he's completely gone over the edge after accepting that he's killing all these dudes and loving it. His voice sounds much stronger. The new Eddie sounds like a fucking stoner idiot the whole time, even in the meat locker.

randomwab

This is also the problem I had with the new Eddie. Original Eddie starts out sounding really scared and in denial, but once you find him in the prison, he's completely gone over the edge after accepting that he's killing all these dudes and loving it. His voice sounds much stronger. The new Eddie sounds like a fucking stoner idiot the whole time, even in the meat locker.

Completely agreed. Eddie's new voice is horrible. As for the rest of the voices, McGlynn's performance is good as Mary/Maria, but I honestly can't fit her voice with the character so I have to say I personally don't like it. The new Angela is excellent. Laura's seems much more playful, like a kid should be. I still like Laura's old voice too. The one thing the new one has over the old is the performance between Laura and James; the new voices feel much more natural in their scenes together.

I wish I could go even further and pick which voice I want for each character. Mix and match to audio perfection.

jimi_dini

I think a lot of users thing have a strong case of rose tinted nostalgia contact lenses.

Yup, Junior.

Team Silent wasn't involved in the voice actor casting at all. And the one that casted all the voice actors was just told to get some people that were capable of talking english. And the "voice acting" in SH2 was actually "read the lines".

KorrZ

The new voices for SH2 would be okay but it completely falls apart for me when it comes to Maria. The original is so great and really adds so much emotion to the scenes at the end. The new girl just...it doesn't fit at all, it completely ruins the new voices for me just based on that one character.

Yup, Junior.

Team Silent wasn't involved in the voice actor casting at all And the one that casted all the voice actors was just told to get some people that were capable of talking english. And the "voice acting" in SH2 was actually "read the lines".

Ugh, the Japanese were pretty involved in the voice actors and directing, Cihi mentioned it more than a few times. The one who casted them, Blaustein who was in charge of all the translating/localization stuff was also very much involved in the games creative side, together with team silent.

Silent Hill series

"Silent Hill 2 was a game intended from the start for the USA, because it had more blood and everyone was becoming hypersensitive about violence and gore in Japan."

The other big series Blaustein is known for working on is Konami's Silent Hill, parts 2, 3 and The Room. The second holds a particularly special place in his heart, since he came aboard as a creative consultant for the team, not only dealing with the English text and directing the voice actors, but helping to formulate early story ideas.

"Forget about having started the game, even while Owaku was throwing around ideas for his story, they called me in to have a big conference and meeting about what I thought would be acceptable themes in America. There was a solid team of about four or five guys, including Owaku and the monster creator guy, Tsuboyama."

With Blaustein having such a direct influence on the game, I thought it time to clear up a few questions which fans of the series have been asking over the years. Two long-running debates held by fans, such as those on igotaletter.com, pertains to the nature of Angela's past, and also what is being said during the 'voice whisper' which can occasionally be heard while playing.

Blaustein stated categorically that the abuse Angela is speculated to have endured at the hands of her father, did indeed occur as part of Silent Hill 2's back story. He explained, "This is an easy issue to clear up. From the very earliest conversations that I was in on (the pre-script writing meeting), the team had the intention of including incest and sexual abuse in one of the character's backgrounds. They wanted, remember, to get at the very heart, or maybe I should say edges, of psychological pain. So we all knew precisely what we wanted with Angela in terms of her dialogue on paper and as performed. As you can see, it is also well reflected in her appearance. We thought about it all the time, in every scene. Just watch the scenes again. She gets physically ill when she thinks about her experience. It seems clearly depicted if you know what you are looking for."

"As for the whisper, I am pretty sure it is just a little loop of one of the actors doing what we called at the time 'butsu-butsu' or 'hitori-goto' (mumbling or talking to himself) in the recording booth. I think they just snipped a loop and added some reverb. The Japanese sound guys would NOT have known what he was saying either, if I am right, because it was just unscripted adlib."

"I would say it was without a doubt the single biggest influence I've had on a game. I don't think there was any other game where I was ever asked to have that much of an affect on the story. It was also unique in that series that I did all the translation myself, and I did all the direction myself - the voice direction and motion capture directing. It was completely unprecedented."

Blaustein went on the share his personal reflections on the game, especially the emotional impact of the letter James Sunderland writes, and revealed an interesting anecdote from the recording booth. "I was reading through a SH2 FAQ and came across 'the letter' from SH2. I really loved it and wanted more readers to have a chance to see it. The scene where Maria reads it, if you have never seen it, is one of the three most emotional moments I have ever had with the actors. The actress cried after she read it and many of us were getting a little misty-eyed. Try to listen to it on Youtube if you can. It was a great moment."

Say what you want about the voice acting, I can't fucking stand Troy Barker as James and the new Heather is embarrassingly bad, sounds like anime dub/woman trying to sound young. Also this is what the Heather voice actor said about her audition :

There were many people from Konami there, including the director, producer, and several members of the creative team. I remember that after my audition, they were talking among themselves about my name “Heather”. They asked me if that was a common American name and talked about changing the character to be called “Heather.” I think the original name was “Helen” but I cannot remember for sure. I believe I got the call that night that I landed the role and they asked me if I would mind if they named the character after me. I didn’t realize that they were going to use my last name as well.

So yeah. They had lots to do with the auditioning. You might also want to check out this, there was clearly more to the voice acting than just "read the lines".

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/podcasts/horrorcast/33451-special-interview-with-guy-cihi-part-1

Edit from that audio interview :

and I asked Sato and the other... uhm... director who was most involved with creating James appearance and story wise... and they were on the audition panel, there was 4 of them, sitting on the panel in front of me and I asked them why they chose me".

and he said, you got the part because you, in our minds, is exactly how we imagined James

I hope that is enough proof that what you wrote was bullshit, even if a few people has tried to paint a different picture when the whole public war was going on.

UrbanRats

is there a let's play of the HD collection on youtube? I wanted to hear the new voices in specific moments, but i don't want to give them money just for that.

I got Leave, but In Water is the real ending IMO.

But on this playthrough I felt more sympathetic for James than I ever have. I almost felt Leave should make sense.

In Water is the only ending.

Yes, absolutely.
I also find it to the the most likely based on the fact that the "note" you find in Neely's Bar after the hospital suggests him doing such a thing. Even if James claimed that he would never do that, it was always on his mind. The ending is great too because they don't even have to show what's happening. The black screen with the sound of screeching tires and then the view from underwater during his final moments is pretty damn powerful. I got that ending last night and remembered why I always thought it was the best

Is there anyone who didn't get the "Leave" ending on their first playthrough?

Also, how do you get to the hotel in under 80 seconds on hard? That's just absurd.

jimi_dini

Ugh, the Japanese were pretty involved in the voice actors and directing, Cihi mentioned it more than a few times.

Should have added sarcasm tags. You really believed that I wrote that non-sense with a straight face? I thought the "read the lines" part should have given it away. I just wanted to tell the Junior that way, that he is wrong.

I linked to that interview myself on GameFAQs. (had no NeoGAF account at that time). http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-silent-hill-hd-collection/61231911

Everything in the original Silent Hill series was based on conscious decisions. Team Silent knew what they were doing.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yes, absolutely.
I also find it to the the most likely based on the fact that the "note" you find in Neely's Bar after the hospital suggests him doing such a thing. Even if James claimed that he would never do that, it was always on his mind. The ending is great too because they don't even have to show what's happening. The black screen with the sound of screeching tires and then the view from underwater during his final moments is pretty damn powerful. I got that ending last night and remembered why I always thought it was the best

Going by the small hints dropped in SH3 and 4, I'd say 'In Water' is most likely the canon ending, yeah.

Should have added sarcasm tags. You really believed that I wrote that non-sense with a straight face? I thought the "read the lines" part should have given it away. I just wanted to tell the Junior that way, that he is wrong.

I linked to that interview myself on GameFAQs. (had no NeoGAF account at that time). http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-silent-hill-hd-collection/61231911

Everything in the original Silent Hill series was based on conscious decisions. Team Silent knew what they were doing.

That may very well be true, but it still doesn't make the voice acting any good. SH2 was almost comical at times, especially James.

I get that the old voices are ingrained into our memories from playing the games over an over again, we've grown attached to them. But let's not kid ourselves here: The voice acting was just mediocre and if it weren't for the amazing rest of the presentation, it would stick out a lot more.

Next thing you know people start claiming that the loading pauses between lines in SH1 were a conscious design decision.

Sorry about that, but a few people has actually been saying shit like that in the past.
LLShC.gif

jimi_dini

That may very well be true, but it still doesn't make the voice acting any good. SH2 was almost comical at times, especially James.

I disagree.

Some parts felt "off", but they were meant to feel "off". Every single character in SH2 was believable. Angela for example felt like a really depressive person, it was neither comical nor feeling like someone acting as a depressive person. Maria&Mary as well as Laura were really top-notch, so everyone else pales in comparison. If the voice acting would have been as bad as some people call it, SH2 wouldn't have become such a classic (not "Troll 2" classic). No, the voice acting was actually pretty good, parts of it were even insanely good. Something was/is wrong with James, that was even obvious right at the start "getting a letter from your dead wife and following its lead". James storywise (and gameplaywise) didn't remember what happened, so he stumbled around to uncover the truth - like the player does.

Also the cutscenes were body-acted out by the voice actors as well. The faces were afaik hand-animated, but also based on the voice actors. And even the models were based on the voice actors as well (at least James). So actually those "voice" actors had much more influence on the game than just the audio.

Sorry about that, but a few people has actually been saying shit like that in the past.
LLShC.gif

Hah. Wanted to add a spoiler first, but then thought that it would be obvious that it didn't make any sense at all and no one would take it serious.

Top Bottom