• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

kunonabi

I imagine the guy doing the sound direction wanted to leave his mark on True Art™. It's like punching a hole in Mona Lisa and sticking your dick through.

Tomm Hullett was entirely responsible for the sound changes, right? If so, he's a selfish and disrespectful individual for committing the amount of changes we are seeing.

Wouldn't surprise me since he did such a hatchet job with the new voicework. Are there credits for the people who "worked" on the port?

Cels

So where is Mr. Hulett?

Please address the numerous problems with this port, such as how the "abruptly ending lake" scene with Maria got out of testing? FPS issues on PS3 are still largely present even post-patch. No one noticed this in a playthrough?

So where is Mr. Hulett?

Please address the numerous problems with this port, such as how the "abruptly ending lake" scene with Maria got out of testing? FPS issues on PS3 are still largely present even post-patch. No one noticed this in a playthrough?

The only thing he had a hand in were the new voices, which are a marked improvement. If I could add those to a properly functioning game I'd be incredibly happy.

Koralsky

I'm so happy I got a promo copy of the PS3 version and not buying the collection.

Both games have terrible problems with sound, framerate and the fog in SH2 is just...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Kind of bummed about what I've been reading here. I've only ever played Silent Hill Zero for the PSP, but I LOVED it. The creepy atmosphere, the exploration, and the other world were a lot of fun.

I've never play any other Silent Hill games. Is this collection really not worth the cash?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Kind of bummed about what I've been reading here. I've only ever played Silent Hill Zero for the PSP, but I LOVED it. The creepy atmosphere, the exploration, and the other world were a lot of fun.

I've never play any other Silent Hill games. Is this collection really not worth the cash?

If you have no other way of playing SH 2 and 3, then go for the collection. If you have a PS2 or a decent PC, get those versions instead.

Can't comment on SH2, but as for SH3.. no. Just no.

I liked the new Vincent a lot. I liked the new Claudia if only for the fact that she doesn't sound like Angela with an accent anymore.

Douglas was horrible in the original game, so that's a wash.

But the new Heather is completely terrible. Doesn't sound anything like a 16-year-old girl.

Combichristoffersen

I liked the new Vincent a lot. I liked the new Claudia if only for the fact that she doesn't sound like Angela with an accent anymore.

Douglas was horrible in the original game, so that's a wash.

But the new Heather is completely terrible. Doesn't sound anything like a 16-year-old girl.

Claudia was good and Vincent was acceptable (althought I prefer the originals), new Douglas sounded drunk (so the original wins here, as he was much better IMO) and Heather was just awful. Definitely prefer the original VAs over the new ones.

kunonabi

It really isn't.

Old Claudia at least that Tilda Swinton type of voice. New Claudia is just bleh and generic. I don't really like new Vincent. He isn't awful like everyone else but he still isn't as good as the original.

Douglas was horrible? I though he was great and really made you feel for the character. Much better than this terrible super gritty noir detective booze hound they got for the demake.

At least we can all agree that the new Heather is an embarrassment.

So I hear that some of the sound errors (music not playing, etc) are at least cancelled out if you use original voices in SH2. Anyone got to the foghorn section on that setting, and if so does it live?

Yes, I'm looking for crumbs here!

Claudia was good and Vincent was acceptable (althought I prefer the originals), new Douglas sounded drunk (so the original wins here, as he was much better IMO) and Heather was just awful. Definitely prefer the original VAs over the new ones.

Heather was the only good voice in that game (In the first three games, really), so it's a shame that's the one they couldn't get. It wasn't perfect in the original version, and the improvements for everyone else just make it a wash. SH2 is an unambiguous improvement though. The original voices in that one are incredibly bad.

Mr_Zombie

Wait, the tape in Room 312?

They altered that too?

There's a comparision in one of the posts above. Basically, they added a TV border (dunno why, because all the other FMV are fullscreen and stretched out anyway) and for some reason they decided that the movie should zoom in; in the end, you don't really see Mary lying on the bad (just her legs) and can't even make out what James is doing to her (because that part of the screen is cut off). This is just ridiculous.

Muffdraul

Douglas was horrible? I though he was great and really made you feel for the character. Much better than this terrible super gritty noir detective booze hound they got for the demake.

The original Douglas grew on me over time, but I remember how horrible I thought he sounded when SH3 first came out. He almost sounded brain-damaged or something. Sorry to speak ill of the dead.

jimi_dini

The only thing he had a hand in were the new voices, which are a marked improvement.

Yep.
Put his dick through a hole in the Mona Lisa. Looks much better now.

Okay I can't say something about the US version of Silent Hill HD (360) but the EU Version (360) plays great.

I've played for about 2 hours and there are no framerate issues, no slowdowns and no audio bugs.

AND: The game looks very good in HD (the fog is there like it is in the original games)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

This has to be sarcasm, if it's not, please go to a doctor and let him check your eyes and ears

Lime

Unadulterated rape scene FTW

fuckyeahuipia.gif

Danny-Boy

Fuck konami and hijinx. You can't release a broken product and get away with it. This shit has to be taken further. Feel bad for anyone purchasing this turd. Yeah you can return it but it shouldn't have been shipped in this state.

You heard the man...perfect ports, nothing to complain about, Hijinx & Konami did a tremendous job on these archive quality remasters.

Sry if you play a bad port but my version seems great. Again: I play the 360 version (eu) and there is really NOTHING to complain about. I promise.

The fog is there just like in the gifs (maybe a bit lower but that's barly noticable), the framerate is perfect (NO slowdowns), the audio (original voices) is as good as the original.

the Ps3 may have the bad port but the 360 version runs just fine.

Still in Silent Hill 2 though

Unadulterated rape scene FTW

It's a bug of the Ps3-Version

randomwab

Sry if you play a bad port but my version seems great. Again: I play the 360 version (eu) and there is really NOTHING to complain about. I promise.

The fog is there just like in the gifs (maybe a bit lower but that's barly noticable), the framerate is perfect (NO slowdowns), the audio (original voices) is as good as the original.

the Ps3 may have the bad port but the 360 version runs just fine.

Still in Silent Hill 2 though

Yeah, no. I'm playing the EU 360 version too. Fog is barely there, awful sound and music issues and weird graphical glitches. It's the same as the US 360 version, for sure.

Edit: Eddie's new voice is so awful. I also really don't like McGlynn as Mary or Maria. I thought she'd be a decent fit for Maria, but I actually don't like her in the role at all.

Yeah, no. I'm playing the EU 360 version too. Fog is barely there, awful sound and music issues and weird graphical glitches. It's the same as the US 360 version, for sure.

Really? Okay, didn't know you play the EU Version. I apologize
but I don't lie. Believe me. There's enough fog, no bugs, no glitches. It runs just perfect.

Combichristoffersen

Started Downpour earlier tonight, and really like it so far (just rode the sky tram to.. well, somewhere). The framerate is definitely wonky, but overall I still think it runs way better than SH3 on PS3.

but I don't lie. Believe me. There's enough fog, no bugs, no glitches. It runs just perfect.

I think your copy of the HD collection might be magic

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Edit: Eddie's new voice is so awful. I also really don't like McGlynn as Mary or Maria. I thought she'd be a decent fit for Maria, but I actually don't like her in the role at all.

she didn't think she'd be good enough to do it

she says her voice is too deep

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I can sorta understand putting a TV border there since the original was 4:3 and it would be impossible to make it 16:9 without zooming in and chopping off the top and bottom... but then the video is zoomed in inside the TV border to the point that you can hardly tell what the hell is happening when it makes the revelation! Seriously, what the hell.

Yes. I finished SH2 last night and was really confused by this. It was very difficult to see what was happening, and the effect of the shocking reveal is definitely lessened. This is a total Lucas moment; the intimacy of just seeing the videotape was much more disturbing.

I also noticed that the ending monologue (God, it gets me every time) seemed poor in terms of audio quality. Maybe the original was like that too.

Bedlam

You don't see the problems, or you don't want to see them, respectively.

But they are there. The fog is not the same, as aren't many other things.

I play the 360 version (eu) and there is really NOTHING to complain about. I promise.
You can promise all you want, the problems are definitely there.

It's a bug of the Ps3-Version
No, the graphics are exactly the same in both versions. Just look at the comparisons. Both have the same problems regarding the graphics and there are no differences between the US and EU versions either. The only difference is the PS3 version having performance issues on top of the graphical downgrades.

Stop misinforming people in a desperate attempt to defend your latest purchase.

No, the graphics are exactly the same in both versions. Just look at the comparisons. Both have the same problems and there are no differences between the US and EU versions either. The only difference is the PS3 version having performance issues on top of the graphical downgrades.

To be fair, I think in that instance he was referring to the cutscenes skipping bug found in the PS3 version; that was responsible for lopping off the beginning of the PH rape scene, and wasn't found in the 360 release.

I agree completely otherwise. :)

I completed SH2 with the "Maria" ending and the music was there after the letter, so why was it absent for the "leave" ending?

Bullsh*t. I suggest you get yourself some glasses ... it's been proven through picture and video comparisons that the fog in the HD collection is vastly inferior to the fog in the original games (and the PC releases).

You sound like you don't want to see the truth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7iSscnCkNE

I have the PS3 version and I have seen much more fog than what is displayed in that video. Not quite the same amount as the PS2 or even PC, but enough where James has been completely hidden (when I have him standing on a porch) and trees within a close proximity were obscured. That footage is what the level of fog looks like in Silent Hill 3 for PS3. Also for whatever reason, whenever there's a cutscene in Rosewater Park, the details which shouldn't be visible are, and after that there appears to be enough fog to obscure those details. It's bizarre.

Yes the "wall o' fog" exists, but at least SH2 actually has fog which is more than I can say for Silent Hill 3. I'm not defending this collection, it's bad, but I know what I've seen. SH2 is foggy.

I won't disagree about the slowdown, synch issues, questionable changes and so forth because those are horrendous. I had a nurse in the alternate hospital in SH2 teleport and hit me when it wasn't close enough to do so under normal circumstances. The game is cheating against me.

No, the graphics are exactly the same in both versions. Just look at the comparisons. Both have the same problems regarding the graphics and there are no differences between the US and EU versions either. The only difference is the PS3 version having performance issues on top of the graphical downgrades.

Stop misinforming people in a desperate attempt to defend your latest purchase.

He is referring to the first cutscene featuring Pyramid Head with the mannequins. It skips a few seconds ahead at the start of that cutscene due to some kind of glitch or something. I have seen it plenty of times. Also, have you actually played the collection yourself? If not, you probably shouldn't be criticizing people who do own it and are experiencing it themselves.

Hot damn does the game crawl along once you get to Silent Hill and have to move around the town in SH3

So good. It's even better when the fog effects stop after a minute or so.

Hey, all you GAFers who don't give a shit about BC? This is why it's important.

I've never play any other Silent Hill games.
Is this collection really not worth the cash?

This is one of the saddest things I've ever read. Good lord.

While playing "Born From A Wish" yesterday, I noticed a lying figure scurrying around on a roof. I'm not really sure how it got up there, or why it's up there, but it's just one of those odd things. I can't remember if I saw that in the PS2 version, but regardless it was funny.

Also, to those trying to get the UFO ending, make sure you complete the sub-scenario after completing SH2 once. I know that's probably obvious to many of you, but I've already completed both on the PS2 many years ago and wanted to jump in to the Maria story because it's so short. However, because I did that first, the system data apparently didn't recognize that I completed it, so I didn't get the ending bonus score nor the blue gem at the start of the game. Once I completed the scenario again after completing SH2, both the gem and score bonus were there.

I forgot about the
Brookfield roof argh

Peed

I forgot about having to fight three flesh lips at the same time on hard difficulty. That was fun.

Managed to get a copy of Silent Hill 3 on PC. Got the FOV tool working, but when I try to change the resolution in the disp.ini it keeps giving me a "Access is denied" message. Do I need to run the patcher like Silent Hill 2?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm really thinking about just buying a CRT TV for cheap and playing some PS2 games (these included) over the summer.

Think it's worth it over playing PS2 games on an HD LCD?

KorrZ

Just played Silent Hill 3 HD for the first time, I never played SH3 originally. Is it supposed to be like a blurry effect when you first enter the mall? It was only in 2 specific hallways so I thought it might be a part of the game? I somehow doubt it cause it was pretty bad, it was really hurting my eyes. Luckily it seems to have gone away.

Top Bottom