• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Gametrailers review
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-silent-hill/728715

haha
well deserved

I quote one of the comments

GT got this shit wrong.. FYI, the Collection works FINE on the 360. PS3 is a different story. Take my word for it, I ordered this on launch day.

Stupid. Who the hell reviewed this?

this.

Just watched the part where they talked about the controls. Sounds like they didn't know about the superior 2D control option... unless they removed that from this collection, too!

No, the option is there.

snap0212

I quote one of the comments

this.

No, the option is there.

I thought it was a butchered collection on both platforms? Are you saying the fog actually exists on the Xbox? Everything I've read made it sound like both versions are not good and that the PS3 version has additional glitches and slowdowns?!

The 360 version runs absolutely fine. There seems to be less fog and sometimes the water is really ugly but that's it. I had no audio bugs, no stuttering, no slowdowns and no audio bugs on BOTH of the games.

The Ps3 Version...well...doesn't run very good.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I thought it was a butchered collection on both platforms? Are you saying the fog actually exists on the Xbox? Everything I've read made it sound like both versions are not good and that the PS3 version has additional glitches and slowdowns?!

The ports are bad on both PS3 and 360, but the 360 version generally has much smoother and better framerate than the PS3 version.

The 360 version runs absolutely fine. There seems to be less fog and sometimes the water is really ugly but that's it. I had no audio bugs, no stuttering, no slowdowns and no audio bugs on BOTH of the games.

Which is funny because that's the platform for which it was originally announced.

Oh wait, that's not funny at all.

snap0212

The ports are bad on both PS3 and 360, but the 360 version generally has much smoother and better framerate than the PS3 version.
Okay, then I remembered correctly. Still too crappy for me to buy this. Everything I've seen just screams "Please don't reward them for releasing this... please don't!".

Well these games look great in HD. It's your decision but in my opinion everyone is overexaggerating on this collection. Except for the water (and maybe! the fog) you won't notice any differences.

Just don't buy the Ps3 Version.

mattp

am i the only one who prefers the regular 3d tank controls in these games haha
the 2d controls are great in theory but with the camera angle constantly changing it gets fucking annoying to have to suddenly switch what direction you're holding
i guess i'm just used to it from playing resident evil so much, but i always stick with tank controls

Z3M0G

Watched the Gametrailers review this morning...

I remember everyone losing their shit when the voices were to change. It seems to have turned out to be the least of the game's problems...

I'm pretty sure I'm still going to buy it... because it's still a better option than playing my PS2 copies on my non-BC PS3.

However... spending $50 on a second-hand PS2 may still be the best investment...

Mr_Zombie

the 2d controls are great in theory but with the camera angle constantly changing it gets fucking annoying to have to suddenly switch what direction you're holding
i guess i'm just used to it from playing resident evil so much, but i always stick with tank controls

No, I also prefer 3D controls. 2D controls annoys me in games where camera can switch direction at any time.

TANK CONTROLS 4 LIFE

2D is frustrating.

mattp

No, I also prefer 3D controls. 2D controls annoys me in games where camera can switch direction at any time.

ok good haha
i CONSTANTLY see people talk about silent hill 2d controls, or even just suggesting that resident evil adopt those controls if they go back to fixed camea angles
i dont understand how the switching camera angles doesnt drive them fucking crazy. its so awkward

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Finished with the Maria ending. First time I saw that one. The line at the end was unexpectedly and likely unintentionally hilarious. :)

I tried the '2D' controls this time and frankly, I hate them. They just don't work with a game of this type and the constantly switching angles made it hugely disorienting. I know that you can just hold the direction to keep moving after a switch but there are times where that just doesn't work, and makes certain tight, narrow passages a huge pain in the ass. This game really needs to be played with traditional 3D 'tank controls.'

kunonabi

I also prefer 3d tank controls. 2D controls are completely unplayable when dealing with fixed camera angles.

I don't consider SH's combat all that clunky. Considering when it was released if fairly progressive with its 180 turns, strafing, back step, and moving and shooting.

It wasn't Bayonetta but it didn't really need to be.

Google is your friend.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

D3D overrider is a separate program in Rivatuner.

yeah I was at work and my internet use is limited. I'm posting from my phone and its a pain looking for it on here. found it when i got home and made a sh3 profile. turned it on, set ccc to force vsync and ran fov tool.

fixes frame rate and tearing!!! ....but makes certain effects behave strangley. ie: when you're set title screen it's supposed to fade out, but instead the screen looks like it got sliced diagonally from corner to corner and the two pieces are sliding apart. lol

so I'm in good shape now, thanks for the help. does anyone know yet if konami has publicly acknowledged the issues with this game? or even the dev?

Just watched the part where they talked about the controls. Sounds like they didn't know about the superior 2D control option... unless they removed that from this collection, too!

Well gametrailers claimed there was no radio in downpour too, seems like they aren't exactly interested in going very deep with any of their shit reviews.

Silent Hill 3 PC is so boss. I've been wanting to replay the game for awhile now and started to on the PS2 but didn't have a chance to get back to it. I finally dug out the PC version and installed it with the FOV tool at 1080p and it runs beautifully and looks amazing.

It's too bad I can't get Silent Hill 2 to run at the same level. The flashing block nonsense is irking me.

I'm too lazy to search this thread since the game first came out... there was talk of patching the PS3 version to fix the performance issues; do we have any update on that?

Alright guys, I need some advice if you've got the time.

I've never owned any of the SH games but I've always found the series to be somewhat interesting and I've always wanted to jump in somewhere. Obviously this HD collection would have been a great place to start if it had been decent but it seems like that decision isn't quite so clear anymore.

So here's my question:

Should I pick up Shattered Memories for the Wii, the HD collection, or something else? I don't really want to play the original games on PS2, so I'd like to keep it to the PS3, PSP, or Wii.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I've never owned any of the SH games but I've always found the series to be somewhat interesting and I've always wanted to jump in somewhere. Obviously this HD collection would have been a great place to start if it had been decent but it seems like that decision isn't quite so clear anymore.

So here's my question:

Should I pick up Shattered Memories for the Wii, the HD collection, or something else? I don't really want to play the original games on PS2, so I'd like to keep it to the PS3, PSP, or Wii.
Silent Hill 1-3 are really the best in the series. Shattered Memories is worth playing but doesn't really represent Silent Hill very well.

Honestly, the PS2 really *IS* the very best option. If you really don't want to go that route I suppose the HD Collection could still work. You could always try Silent Hill 1 on PSX but it looks REALLY dated now.

Silent Hill 1-3 are really the best in the series. Shattered Memories is worth playing but doesn't really represent Silent Hill very well.

Honestly, the PS2 really *IS* the very best option. If you really don't want to go that route I suppose the HD Collection could still work. You could always try Silent Hill 1 on PSX but it looks REALLY dated now.
Hmm... well for one I don't have my PS2 anymore and my BC PS3 is dead so that makes the PS2 option kind of difficult. I'd also imagine it would look like complete garbage on my TV (but maybe not as garbage as the HD collection :p ).

Uh, it seems like there aren't really any good options for me, just a bunch of kind of good ones.

dark10x

Hmm... well for one I don't have my PS2 anymore and my BC PS3 is dead so that makes the PS2 option kind of difficult. I'd also imagine it would look like complete garbage on my TV (but maybe not as garbage as the HD collection :p ).

Uh, it seems like there aren't really any good options for me, just a bunch of kind of good ones.
Yeah, that's pretty much right.

It's true that PS2 wouldn't look great on your TV as most TVs do a very poor job with Silent Hill to begin with. If you're using an LCD prepare for lots of backlight viewing.

Still, in your case, I suppose playing the HD Collection while understanding that the glitches and oddities you might encounter are flaws in the port.

Yeah, that's pretty much right.

It's true that PS2 wouldn't look great on your TV as most TVs do a very poor job with Silent Hill to begin with. If you're using an LCD prepare for lots of backlight viewing.

Still, in your case, I suppose playing the HD Collection while understanding that the glitches and oddities you might encounter are flaws in the port.
My TV is a Panasonic Plasma (G20) so it wouldn't be as bad as an LCD but it still wouldn't be pretty and I hate not having a widescreen option. Maybe I'll pick up the collection sometime when it hits $20 or so.

Thanks for the help.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

So here's my question:

If those are your options, then go for the HD collection. The ports aren't particularly great, but it's better than never playing SH2 and 3 at all. Also, SH1 is available on PSN. Get that too.

dark10x

My TV is a Panasonic Plasma (G20) so it wouldn't be as bad as an LCD but it still wouldn't be pretty and I hate not having a widescreen option. Maybe I'll pick up the collection sometime when it hits $20 or so.

Thanks for the help.
Hmm, actually, the PS2 looks pretty decent on a Panny. It's surprisingly clean and the SH games didn't use field rendering so they appear sharp enough. The lack of widescreen sucks but it could still be manageable.

What about the PC versions? I think SH2 is pretty rubbish on PC but Silent Hill 3 has an awesome port.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

The video review I've seen of X360 version sure doesn't make it look good at all. It's basically the same exact crap as the PS3 version, just with somewhat smoother framerate. "Less fog"? Don't pander to crap - it's more like 75% of it is removed, sometimes to a hilarious effect.

What about the PC versions? I think SH2 is pretty rubbish on PC but Silent Hill 3 has an awesome port.
SH2 has hard edge shadows on PC, that alone makes it look really bad in comparison.

Hmm, actually, the PS2 looks pretty decent on a Panny. It's surprisingly clean and the SH games didn't use field rendering so they appear sharp enough. The lack of widescreen sucks but it could still be manageable.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about the PC ports. I don't have a great PC but it should be good enough to run these games. I'll look into that option.

If I had a PS2 already I would probably go that route but I don't know if it's worth picking one back up just for this series. I gave mine away to a friend thinking that my BC PS3 would always be around... turned out to be a pretty bad decision in the end.

While working on my 10-star rank, I was in Silent Hill following the hospital section trying to kill as many monsters as possible. While doing so, I experience a ton of slowdown and momentary freezing. This may not be a surprise, but it was happening a lot more than I remember. Plus, I saw the "footprint" loading screen after exiting the menu. The MENU.

Anyway, I got a 9.9 star rank. Why? Because that fucking boat section sucks and my thumbs can't handle that stress. It wouldn't be so bad if you had at least a minute and forty seconds to two minutes, but no. Instead, you have eighty seconds to spin those analog sticks in opposite directions of each other as fast and precise as you can.

Because trying to get through the game with two saves and under five-hundred points of damage on the hardest difficulty setting isn't difficult enough.

I could just say "fuck it" because trophies are meaningless, but my obsessive-compulsive behavior won't let it go.

gblues

Banned

So here's my question:

If you have PSN+, Silent Hill 1 is one of this month's freebies.

Cudder

While working on my 10-star rank, I was in Silent Hill following the hospital section trying to kill as many monsters as possible. While doing so, I experience a ton of slowdown and momentary freezing. This may not be a surprise, but it was happening a lot more than I remember. Plus, I saw the "footprint" loading screen after exiting the menu. The MENU.

Anyway, I got a 9.9 star rank. Why? Because that fucking boat section sucks and my thumbs can't handle that stress. It wouldn't be so bad if you had at least a minute and forty seconds to two minutes, but no. Instead, you have eighty seconds to spin those analog sticks in opposite directions of each other as fast and precise as you can.

Because trying to get through the game with two saves and under five-hundred points of damage on the hardest difficulty setting isn't difficult enough.

I could just say "fuck it" because trophies are meaningless, but my obsessive-compulsive behavior won't let it go.

Brutal. Make sure you toggle run/walk in the options so you're always running for the boat sequence, it makes it go faster.

Brutal. Make sure you toggle run/walk in the options so you're always running for the boat sequence, it makes it go faster.

Oh I know, but it's the rowing that's the actual problem. My thumbs just can't rotate the analog sticks fast enough. I've done it once, but that was a practice run so it didn't count towards the 10-star rank.

Cudder

Oh I know, but it's the rowing that's the actual problem. My thumbs just can't rotate the analog sticks fast enough. I've done it once, but that was a practice run so it didn't count towards the 10-star rank.

Have you made a separate save either after or before Eddie, so you can just practice that one part? I haven't attempted my 10 star run yet, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for.

Top Bottom