• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

It sucks that I have zero interest in actually finishing SH2 HD (I'm at the Historical Society) and actually starting SH3 HD.

Thanks Konami for killing my interest in these games.

ruttyboy

Oh dear, I was going to get this as a nice surprise for my wife as she was a big fan of the series. I have now told her she is under no circumstances to buy this turd*.

Am I right in thinking that the original SH3 voiceover is missing because they never actually paid the actors and still refuse to? What's that about?

* Good on her, she replied with, "No way I was going to buy it anyway in that state, I watched a video this morning and it looks horrendous, in so many ways."

kunonabi

and the missing sound effects? are the only in the new version or also in the original version

I'm not sure if we got a straight answer on that. SH3's audio design is butchered regardless. Altered and misplaced audio tracks are there no matter what you do. Hulett said SH2 could be fixed by not picking 5.1 sound. I know this fixes the awful electric guitars they jammed in but I'm not sure if the audio problems can be fixed by picking old voices and turning off 5.1

It doesn't sound like it but someone here with a copy might be able to say for sure.

Heather's VA said she would sign the waivers if they asked. They didn't bother to get a hold of her.

Not sure if I should return it or hold out for a patch. Has Konami said anything? Are they working on it? Can't believe they would release a product in this condition.

Konami doesn't give a fuck...
which is why two cherished classic games were put in the hands of fucking HIJINX Studios, who can't seem to identify their asses from their elbows.

Okay I can't say something about the US version of Silent Hill HD (360) but the EU Version (360) plays great.

I've played for about 2 hours and there are no framerate issues, no slowdowns and no audio bugs.

AND: The game looks very good in HD (the fog is there like it is in the original games)

Haven't tried Silent Hill 3 yet

Okay I can't say something about the US version of Silent Hill HD (360) but the EU Version (360) plays great.

I've played for about 2 hours and there are no framerate issues, no slowdowns and no audio bugs.

AND: The game looks very good in HD (the fog is there like it is in the original games)

There is fog, it's just massively scaled back; more like a wall of moderate mist than the swirling cloud of the original . You'll see if you scrutinise soe comparison videos.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nobody said the fog was removed, rather, that it was simplified compared to the PS2 version (which is the case). This was true of the XBOX and PC versions as well.

Thanks to Lime for this comparison, but you can clearly see the difference.

PC fog
sh2_pc_fogj6kj6.gif

PS2 fog (through an emulator)
sh2_ps2_fognfjrn.gif

good god this thread depresses me. fucking Konami seriously.

SH2 and SH3 are some of my absolute favorite games from the past 20+ years, and i had such high hopes for the new versions... it hurts :( oh well i still have a functioning PS2 and the original games.

but goddamn it hurts.

kunonabi

was that teeth eye always there? I cant really tell from youtube vidsand I don't have a ps2 save near that part. Anyone with a PC version want to check?

Well if if it's really scaled back I didn't noticed it. Maybe the gifs are from the Ps3 Version?
The fog in the EU version looks very similar to the pics (gifs) which were posted here in this thread

Huh, yeah, a lot of those were things I was kind of annoyed by after playing for about an hour last night, and again this is coming from a guy who never touched the original games. I'm glad I picked up the Xbox version over the PS3 version and I will still definitely play through these games but that is incredibly disappointing to hear and I understand what you guys are all pissed off about now : (

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
One of the things I always loved about the SH games was the grain filter. The dirty lo-fi look matched the overall aesthetic of the art and fiction. I was never overly happy with the XBox version of SH2 because I felt it looked smoother and cleaner than the PS2 builds.

Kind of annoying really. I bought SH2 3 times back in the day -import JP PS2 copy, Xbox version for "Born from a wish", and finally a PAL PS2 Director's cut edition with the extras.

SH3 has its moments, and always looked/sounded terrific, but I always felt it kind of ran out of steam after the midway point. So its always been the lesser part of the appeal to me, even if its port actually sucks slightly less hard than the SH2 HD redo.

Can I even be bothered... Part of me is hoping that they strip SH2 out and give it away as a PS+ freebie.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Damn.....there goes my last bit of hope

Was hoping it was fine and all they were gonna do was release 1 more patch to fix everything in the US release....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Get the PS2/PC version of SH3, and the PS2 version of SH2. As it is, I don't think there's any hope of fixing the HD collection.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well if if it's really scaled back I didn't noticed it. Maybe the gifs are from the Ps3 Version?
The fog in the EU version looks very similar to the pics (gifs) which were posted here in this thread
No, that GIF is from the PC version which uses the same fog as the XBOX version. Both HD ports also use the same limited fog.

Roxas

the EXACT moment my SH2 game started becoming a broken mess was when you descend the long stairway in the history museum/to the prison.

James starts stuttering when he runs every few seconds since those stairs.

kunonabi

oh my god

whoever's changing the thread title please stop, im dying over here

Wonder if any Konami reps are reading this thread, heh

Hulett was here but he ran off once it became obvious just how screwed the collection really is. He occasionally drops into the Downpour thread to toot his own horn.

Mr_Zombie

No, that GIF is from the PC version which uses the same fog as the XBOX version. Both HD ports also use the same limited fog.

I haven't played HD Collection yet, but looking at the comparison video from SH Society, the fog in HD Collection looks even worse than in PC/XBOX ports. In PC and XBOX version you still have the illusion that the fog surrounds you; in the video posted on SH Society, the fog looks literally like a wall that moves just before you.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pushing on through SH3 HD, and the framerate seems somewhat better once you leave the mall. It's bizarre, when you meet enemies, Heather will move like a snail in molasses, while enemies seem to maintain their normal movement speed. Graphics are generally very nice and clean, so hadn't it been for the shitty new VO (including out of synch voices and sound effects), the framerate problems and the lack of fog, it would've been a pretty good port.

Edit: And then the game got stuck on a loading screen. WTF.

KorrZ

EU version of SH2 really seems justfine. Maybe it's just me

SH2 is mostly fine, it's not ideal but it's not horrid. There are audio effects missing for no apparent reason, some weird graphical changes, and they changed to video tape scene slightly and made it harder to see what's going on. Seems like SH3 is the one that truly got raped in this collection.

Roxas

Running around the town in SH3 is just awful, really crippling...luckily your not running outside for too much but man...fuck!

hertog

SH2 is mostly fine, it's not ideal but it's not horrid. There are audio effects missing for no apparent reason, some weird graphical changes, and they changed to video tape scene slightly and made it harder to see what's going on. Seems like SH3 is the one that truly got raped in this collection.

:( Really hoped that eu version got fixed.
Well SH2 is pretty awesome and it was only 20 euro's

Shit...even the foghorn has gone?!

http://shshatteredmemories.com/blog/2012/03/25/hd-collection/#more-10572

The breath / radio loops? Fuck me.

And LOL at the fog in the comparison videos...that really hammers home the catastrophic visual failure of this thing. Did someone give Hijinx an alpha version of the originals to work from?

Whose call was it to change the sounds? The technical issues are one thing, but the sound changes are absolutely intentional. It's missing the entire point with these HD ports. Fans just want the same games with HD visuals. They don't want people changing important aspects of the game. I guess it's no surprise that the series has turned into what it has when the people handling it are unable to port the old games properly.

RagnarokX

Hmmm just noticed that the "reveal" video tape at Lakeview Hotel is changed in the HD version of SH2.

Original
HD Collection

I can sorta understand putting a TV border there since the original was 4:3 and it would be impossible to make it 16:9 without zooming in and chopping off the top and bottom... but then the video is zoomed in inside the TV border to the point that you can hardly tell what the hell is happening when it makes the revelation! Seriously, what the hell.

Jomjom

Banned
Haha, god no! At this point I'd say it's pretty much over, Konami doesn't give a fuck.

So sad! I guess I'll have to find the original releases on PS2 on eBay or something to try out Silent Hill for the 1st time. Thank goodness for PS+ handing out SH1 for free next week!

Lime

Whose call was it to change the sounds? The technical issues are one thing, but the sound changes are absolutely intentional. It's missing the entire point with these HD ports. Fans just want the same games with HD visuals. They don't want people changing important aspects of the game. I guess it's no surprise that the series has turned into what it has when the people handling it are unable to port the old games properly.

I imagine the guy doing the sound direction wanted to leave his mark on True Art™. It's like punching a hole in Mona Lisa and sticking your dick through.

Tomm Hullett was entirely responsible for the sound changes, right? If so, he's a selfish and disrespectful individual for committing the amount of changes we are seeing.

Bedlam

Bullsh*t. I suggest you get yourself some glasses ... it's been proven through picture and video comparisons that the fog in the HD collection is vastly inferior to the fog in the original games (and the PC releases).

You sound like you don't want to see the truth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7iSscnCkNE

Top Bottom