• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lord Error said:
SH2 has hard edge shadows on PC, that alone makes it look really bad in comparison.
It's a bit of pain in the ass to setup. You need to hack resolution, WideScreen, and CPU-affinity (the game goes crazy if you let it run on more then one core). Controller support is pretty bad too, so you have to custom configure it. After all that I got it working in 1080P, mostly steady 30fps (R6670) - saw some lip-sync issues though :(

Graphically the lack of soft-shadows hurts, but it's still a lot better then what I've seen of HD collection (especially the fog).
Ironically I don't think any of the SH2s were the "perfect" version - PS2 used vertex-flashlight which does occasionally look off. PC took a hit on shadows and fog but improved the flashlight.
Does anyone know if XBox version had soft-shadows? (I know fog and flashlight were like the PC version).

Have you made a separate save either after or before Eddie, so you can just practice that one part? I haven't attempted my 10 star run yet, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for.

Yes, and I got it once, but I haven't been able to repeat it since. I recommend looking up guides online for help, but it's still very difficult regardless.

Ahasverus

I finished SH2 last night. Played it with my 10yrs old brother, and I think the game hit him as his first life changing game story. It changed his life, just like it changed mine.

Amazing game.

Could it be that the stereo sides are switched in this collection. I quadruple checked my setup and it's fine, yet in game it's totally inverted. Or is it supposed to be this way.

Lime

I finished SH2 last night. Played it with my 10yrs old brother, and I think the game hit him as his first life changing game story. It changed his life, just like it changed mine.

Amazing game.

Nice story. It's always interesting to hear about other people's experience with a quality game for the first time. Especially when it is a shared experience.

Ok, what the hell did they do to the video tape in SH2. They put an ugly border around it and cut most of it off so you don't realize what's going on. Ridiculous.

I tried my 10-star run again yesterday and of course ended it with 9.9 stars. Seriously, who thought it was fair to make you row the boat to the hotel in under eighty seconds? There's no skill involved; it's just analog stick-ruining bullshit.

I tried my 10-star run again yesterday and of course ended it with 9.9 stars. Seriously, who thought it was fair to make you row the boat to the hotel in under eighty seconds? There's no skill involved; it's just analog stick-ruining bullshit.
hahaha... Hahahaha...! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA!

No, it really sucks, and it's easily the only substantially difficult part of the run. I feel for you, RHA. : (

You can say what you want but Silent Hill 3 is definitely atrocious, even on the mythical EU 360 version. Constant stuttering & one hard lock during a loading screen.

I'm about to ragequit SH2 PC because of FUBAR 360 controller support. I can't change the fucked up options and x360ce does jack shit. Please help.

I'm about to ragequit SH2 PC because of FUBAR 360 controller support. I can't change the fucked up options and x360ce does jack shit. Please help.

Here's a joy2key profile you can use that's based off the ps2 controls.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n23c45kbvuwqw2l

Just extract the file and click on the joy2key.exe and then go in the game to the controls section and clear all of the gamepad controls by click on them and pressing esc. After that the controls should work.

Controls:

D-Pad or Left Analog Stick: move character
D-Pad or Left Analog Stick + X Button: run
Select Button: item screen
Start Button: cancel, pause menu
Left Bumper: strafe left
Right Bumper: strafe right
Left Trigger: search view
Left Trigger + Left Analog Stick: look around
Right Trigger: draw weapon
Y Button: map window
A + Right Trigger: attack
A Button: search, confirm
X Button: guard attacks
B Button: flashlight

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shit. I should have read some reviews before blindly purchasing this today. I haven't played a SH other than Shattered Memories. Is it worth playing 2 and 3 for the first time with this copy on PS3?

Here's a joy2key profile you can use that's based off the ps2 controls.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n23c45kbvuwqw2l

Just extract the file and click on the joy2key.exe and then go in the game to the controls section and clear all of the gamepad controls by click on them and pressing esc. After that the controls should work.

Controls:

D-Pad or Left Analog Stick: move character
D-Pad or Left Analog Stick + X Button: run
Select Button: item screen
Start Button: cancel, pause menu
Left Bumper: strafe left
Right Bumper: strafe right
Left Trigger: search view
Left Trigger + Left Analog Stick: look around
Right Trigger: draw weapon
Y Button: map window
A + Right Trigger: attack
A Button: search, confirm
X Button: guard attacks
B Button: flashlight
Thanks. It works great, but goddamn, the game is a buggy POS. I can't save b/c it's an old file & a quicksave and it freezes in menus. Getting this game to work is a survival horror in itself.

pargonta

Shit. I should have read some reviews before blindly purchasing this today. I haven't played a SH other than Shattered Memories. Is it worth playing 2 and 3 for the first time with this copy on PS3?

I hadn't played any SH, i finished up 2 and am working on 3, so as a fan of survival horror who just played SH2 for the first time in this collection on PS3, i say yeah give 2 a go.

2 needs to be played if you enjoy survival horror. it can be obtuse and obviously aged, but it can grab you gradually. it clicked for me more than halfway through, when the aged design/camera+combat issues/bad porting became overshadowed for me by amazing atmosphere and thematic design.
hope it clicks for you.

3 has started very differently, with a seemingly different thematic focus, but it seems similarly thrilling.

Cudder

I hadn't played any SH, i finished up 2 and am working on 3, so as a fan of survival horror who just played SH2 for the first time in this collection on PS3, i say yeah give 2 a go.

2 needs to be played if you enjoy survival horror. it can be obtuse and obviously aged, but it can grab you gradually. it clicked for me more than halfway through, when the aged design/camera+combat issues/bad porting became overshadowed for me by amazing atmosphere and thematic design.
hope it clicks for you.

3 has started very differently, with a seemingly different thematic focus, but it seems similarly thrilling.

I highly suggest playing 1 before 3. If you're a PS+ member, it's free on PSN. Seriously, the emotional payoff would be much higher if you play the original.

addyb

I'm really looking forward to playing these when my copy arrives next Tuesday. I've finished downpour and actually playing through the original now (just got past the alternate school area)

I still can't fathom how I haven't played sh2 or 3 as I'm a massive fan of survival horror. I think I was too busy drinking and chasing the ladies when silent hill 2 was around.

Which has the best enemy design? 2 or 3?

New. Amazingly, hiring competent, professional voice actors leads to a higher quality product.

deb0ae0e184b50f8f1ceb9cc4e70241d8e1824f5.gif

Nowhere near as simple as that.

It's certainly a good place to start, and in this case it lead to a good product. Nobody in the original cast for SH2 can act, least of all the main character, which is a problem.

Lime

Thanks. It works great, but goddamn, the game is a buggy POS. I can't save b/c it's an old file & a quicksave and it freezes in menus. Getting this game to work is a survival horror in itself.

Did you remember to allocate only 1 CPU core to sh2pc.exe (as mentioned in the guide)? If not, that explains why your shit keeps crashing. My playthroughs on PC have went smooth as butter.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

The ports are bad, and especially SH3 is a complete fucking mess, but the games are still good in and of themselves, so if it's your first time playing them, just push through and enjoy the games.

do I go for original or new voices?

Original.

Which has the best enemy design? 2 or 3?

I don't think they should be compared, to be honest. The enemies in SH2 are more easily identifiable as having been born out of the psychological traumas of the various characters, while the SH3 enemies, even if they are a product of Alessa's trauma, are somewhat more otherworldly and grotesque than the SH2 enemies. Both are great in their own way.

cj_iwakura

It's certainly a good place to start, and in this case it lead to a good product. Nobody in the original cast for SH2 can act, least of all the main character, which is a problem.

You have to see it through. The main character's VA totally turns it around in the end.

When he drops the facade.

Arkham Inmate

Neo Member
I'm playing the HD collection on X360 and have a question...when does the intro video of SH2 play? It didn't show up before the menu screen.

I have to track down this TI-83 version for my collection.....

wondering how many title changes this thread will end up having :D

About to start SH3. Probably just going to speedrun it for the platinum (yeah I'm that guy). PS2 version has had enough love from me and I still feel like P. Head slipped me one from behind when I bought this on a whim. I should've known better.

At least Yamaoka makes it all a little more bearable.

addyb

Well I'm well into the original again and done most of it via remote play on the vita. I forgot how fantastic the sound design was. Excellent work. Loving the game again and tank controls and find the dialogue hilariously cheesy and deadpan.

Harry I'm on crystal meth mason. I may as well finish this now before I crack on with the hd collection.

kingkaiser

God damn, this thread just managed it. I just ordered used copies of both SH2 and SH3 for the PS2. It will be my first time playing SH2.

Did you remember to allocate only 1 CPU core to sh2pc.exe (as mentioned in the guide)? If not, that explains why your shit keeps crashing. My playthroughs on PC have went smooth as butter.
I've had it set to CPU0 in RadeonPro. How will that fix my saves?

And the breathing is SO annoying with the new voices. It sounds like someone is sawing a log in the far distance.

The breathing noise is preposterous. You'd have to be a lunatic to prefer the new voices for that reason alone.

Also...

I think some of the missing / incorrect songs are restored if you use original, too. I think not having access to certain tracks separate from a voice track was their excuse for that fuck up.

Anyone know if the foghorn is back using original?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
do I go for original or new voices?

The new ones are better in SH2 in my opinion, don't let nostalgia fool you.

For Silent Hill 3, the problem with the news ones is that they're not properly synced especially the last stage.

The new ones are better in SH2 in my opinion, don't let nostalgia fool you.

For Silent Hill 3, the problem with the news ones is that they're not properly synced especially the last stage.

You need to take into account the wider problems with the sound, missing music, breathing noise etc with new voices. That makes then impossible to recommend.

The bad thing is I want to buy this, I had it in my hand for like 8 minutes in the shop today before I put it back on the shelf, why couldnt they have just done this collection properly?

:(

pa22word

So in lieu of the HD collection being as well...stunning as it is, I decided to take it upon myself and just play the PS2 version instead. I decided to play it through PCSX2 @ 6x native res though, and oh my the results are simply gorgeous:

pcsx2-r46002012-04-08joki3.png

pcsx2-r46002012-04-0839jwz.png

pcsx2-r46002012-04-084hk9q.png

Door-handle jiggling sim ftw:

pcsx2-r46002012-04-08txkfh.png

(all of these are at full speed fyi)

Sorry for the noise effect...I know it makes the IQ look a lot worse than it actually does while the game is actually moving, but if anyone can actually remember that far back the original PS2 version only unlocks the option to turn it off once you complete the game for the first time. Needless to say, if anyone wants more I'll be sure to upload them!

Top Bottom