• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I picked this game up a day or 2 before the official launch I'm really enjoying but I've been splitting my time between it Dragon Age, NSMB Wii, Borderlands and whole bunch of other older games I have yet to finish.

Anyways I'm stuck in the highschool in the art room? With the figures that you move around. Someone help me out here. Thanks

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Days like these... said:
I picked this game up a day or 2 before the official launch I'm really enjoying but I've been splitting my time between it Dragon Age, NSMB Wii, Borderlands and whole bunch of other older games I have yet to finish.

Anyways I'm stuck in the highschool in the art room? With the figures that you move around. Someone help me out here. Thanks
Look carefully at the shadows

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Days like these... said:
I arranged them just like the picture however I think the swans are bit off I think the one in the back needs to come to the front?

While you're looking at the shadows, look just above where the shadows are casting. There should be a writing that will give away what you're supposed to do.

Medalion

Banned
This game makes me want to play the other Silent Hills, it's fascinating... never got into em before cuz I never owned a Playstation 1 or 2 before.

Medalion said:
This game makes me want to play the other Silent Hills, it's fascinating... never got into em before cuz I never owned a Playstation 1 or 2 before.

DO IT.

But if you get turned off because it doesn't have "sweet gameplay" that will be the worst mistake you could ever make.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
brandonh83 said:
DO IT.

But if you get turned off because it doesn't have "sweet gameplay" that will be the worst mistake you could ever make.
Or his priorities when it comes to enjoying games are different than yours. Seriously dude, not everyone can enjoy tank controls and stiff combat.

Medalion

Banned
The controls are kinda frustrating at times in this game, and yet I love it. I stopped playing after awhile cuz I get scared easily. I'm still stuck in the woods in the sewage area... I've been watching run-throughs on youtube and I have quite a ways to go.

I find Silent Hill fascinating for the story and atmosphere. I watched the Silent Hill movie before I played a single SH game.

doomed1 said:
Or his priorities when it comes to enjoying games are different than yours. Seriously dude, not everyone can enjoy tank controls and stiff combat.

I don't really think it's an excuse. The games aren't long and they're incredibly easy. Sure, the controls aren't all that, but it's not hard, either. If you're looking for a great horror experience, the controls shouldn't turn you off. It may not be Modern Warfare but they're very, very easy games.

Basically all I'm saying is that if he is going to play them for the horror/story aspects anyway, then his priorities are not centered around the gameplay to begin with.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The more I think about the ending of the game I got and other peoples', the more I really, really appreciate and am growing to love this game. Much more than my initial impressions. Story CAN be everything.

Sunflower said:
The more I think about the ending of the game I got and other peoples', the more I really, really appreciate and am growing to love this game. Much more than my initial impressions. Story CAN be everything.

Exactly. Which is why everyone should play through Silent Hill 2 at least once in their life.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
brandonh83 said:
I don't really think it's an excuse. The games aren't long and they're incredibly easy. Sure, the controls aren't all that, but it's not hard, either. If you're looking for a great horror experience, the controls shouldn't turn you off. It may not be Modern Warfare but they're very, very easy games.

Yesss, but if someone really hates tank controls and terrible combat, and for them it detracts from the gameplay, then they dont need to force themselves to play through and enjoy the games, regardless of how good the might be or what they might offer.

I had a similar debate with someone about a franchise not too long ago. I cant remember what it was. What I do remember was that the latest entry was strikingly different from previous entries, and despite plenty of people enjoying it they couldn't for whatever reason. Rather than just accept it, accept that people have different tastes, they kept going on and on about the franchise, quality, what's required, and 'forcing' themselves to like it.

I really think you need to just accept this is a Silent Hill reboot. The developers have pushed it as such from day 1. Dont try to connect it to any of the other games. Dont try to tackle it as an old Silent Hill game. By all means, be disappointed. Dislike the game. HATE the game if you need to. But dont force yourself to like a game just because it shares the franchise title with other entries that you loved.

I love the Fallout games and still think Fallout 3 is bland, and overall an average game chock full of flaws, and in no-way the "Fallout" I expect in both style and quality. But just because I feel this way doesn't mean I think everybody should, nor do I force myself to like the game because it's Fallout. I accept I dont like it, and move on.

Maybe you need to do the same with this?

Dascu

Medalion said:
1. Get Silent Hill 2 for PC or PS2 or Xbox
2. Change combat (and maybe even puzzle) settings to Easy
3. Enjoy one of the best video game stories with an amazing atmosphere and artistic design.

EatChildren

Oh shit the
UFO
ending is amazing. So, so good :lol.

EatChildren said:
Harry has been dead since Cheryl was 7. She never knew her father, at least who he truly is. Thus the Harry we play, and are profiled on, is the Harry Cheryl has created in her mind. Ever since his death she's been blaming herself, and everyone else, for it, and due to her love for her father constructed her ideal version of him.

In reality, as said, she never knew her father, at least not on an adult level. That's where the twist comes in; all those choices we make, all that 'Harry' interacts with and experiences in the game, is really just how Cheryl wants to see him. Who he really is is shown only in the videotape segments at the very start and the very end.

The whole game experience is debatable, but whether or not it 'really happens' what can be agreed on is that the events are heavily influenced and controlled by Cheryl and her time at the shrink. The events that Harry goes through are Cheryl going through her past, and the nightmare world is Cheryl holding onto whatever she can. The otherworld is Cheryl not wanting to let go.

What you do mean by 'different'? I'm on my third playthrough and Dahliah's personality has largely been exactly the same, as has her dialogue minus a couple of lines here and there, but she has visually been different all three times. She's also sent me different pictures of herself each time.
Man, this has to go down as one of the best story experiences I've ever had in a game. What awesome stuff.

EatChildren said:
Yesss, but if someone really hates tank controls and terrible combat, and for them it detracts from the gameplay, then they dont need to force themselves to play through and enjoy the games, regardless of how good the might be or what they might offer.

I had a similar debate with someone about a franchise not too long ago. I cant remember what it was. What I do remember was that the latest entry was strikingly different from previous entries, and despite plenty of people enjoying it they couldn't for whatever reason. Rather than just accept it, accept that people have different tastes, they kept going on and on about the franchise, quality, what's required, and 'forcing' themselves to like it.

I really think you need to just accept this is a Silent Hill reboot. The developers have pushed it as such from day 1. Dont try to connect it to any of the other games. Dont try to tackle it as an old Silent Hill game. By all means, be disappointed. Dislike the game. HATE the game if you need to. But dont force yourself to like a game just because it shares the franchise title with other entries that you loved.

I love the Fallout games and still think Fallout 3 is bland, and overall an average game chock full of flaws, and in no-way the "Fallout" I expect in both style and quality. But just because I feel this way doesn't mean I think everybody should, nor do I force myself to like the game because it's Fallout. I accept I dont like it, and move on.

Maybe you need to do the same with this?

Uh I think you guys are more or less turning this into something it's not, I didn't say "you should play the other games because they're a lot better than Shattered Memories," I just said that he should play them and try to get over the controls-- which aren't "fun" but are easy. It's worth it for the experience. I find it kind of annoying that people keep ganging up on every post I make, I simply recommended the other games to him and all I get are these big long-winded replies about my preferences not matching with preferences of others-- I mean christ he said that he wanted to check out the other games and I simply said "do it, the controls aren't fun but they're still easy games to get through." It was a harmless suggestion,he's the one saying he's interested in playing them and I am simply backing him 100% on that.

EatChildren

brandonh83 said:
Uh I think you guys are more or less turning this into something it's not, I didn't say "you should play the other games because they're a lot better than Shattered Memories," I just said that he should play them and try to get over the controls-- which aren't "fun" but are easy. It's worth it for the experience. I find it kind of annoying that people keep ganging up on every fucking post I make, I simply recommended the other games to him and all I get are these big long-winded replies about my preferences not matching with preferences of others-- I mean christ he said that he wanted to check out the other games and I simply said "do it, the controls aren't fun but they're still easy games to get through." It was a harmless suggestion,he's the one saying he's interested in playing them and I am simply backing him 100% on that.

What the fuck?

Chill dude, I wasn't implying anything. I was more talking about your attempts to like the game, and like it to the past Silent Hill games, something I figure if you accomplished would make you like it more by default.

I'm trying to tell you to stop bothering. It's okay not to like Shattered Memories or be gravely disappointed with it. It's okay that it's practically impossible to tie it to other entries in the franchise. It's okay for you to feel this way and for others to be a polar opposite.

Nobody is ganging up on your posts. We respond to them because they're bloody hard to decipher, something you admitted to early on. You dont like the game, then you do. You dislike the story, then love it. Etc etc. You want to like the game, but cant. You try to tie it to the other games, but cant find any reasonable way to do so.

It seems to me people just want you to find solid ground on how you feel about the game and stop reaching. Nothing anybody says at this point is going to make you like/dislike the game anymore than you do. So, I dunno, work out how you feel and just stick with it.

Plus the comments about Silent Hill franchise as a whole are simply because this being a reboot on a system not known for the franchise is guarentied to attract gamers who have never played a Silent Hill game before this. End of the day, some people hate tank controls so much that they detract a serious amount of enjoyment from the overall experience, and ultimately cant get past them.

And I'm the only one who has put out a long winded reply to your Silent Hill 2 recommendation, so dont make a big deal about it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
EatChildren said:
And I'm the only one who has put out a long winded reply to your Silent Hill 2 recommendation, so dont make a big deal about it.

Just leave him to his mercurial opinion of the game apparently he is the foremost authority on Silent Hill and his opinion on the game trumps everyone else's. This is like the Paranormal Activity thread all over again where he tried to convince everyone who thought it sucked/wasn't scary that we were wrong.

Miburou

big_z said:
gameplay, story, pacing, etc is all done better than the previous entries. the game still retains the silent hill atmosphere it just doesnt use the same horror tactic. instead the developer went for tension and there's nothing wrong with that.

i think if half of the chase sequences were dropped and slower moving stealth puzzle bits were put in(think penumbra on the pc type stuff) then the scare factor would sky rocket.

this is an excellent and much needed reboot of the series. the game is good and i hope it sells well so we get a another.

edit: going to ask again, are there different versions of dahilia in the game or is she always the same?

Dude, if you're gonna ask a question at least check when people answer it. I answered your question immediately after you asked.

And better gameplay, really? You mean the simplistic puzzles and the annoying chase sequences? Pacing? You mean where everything is saved for the last 10 minutes? I liked the story twist, but the first 3/4 of the game there were no revelations or insights. If it weren't for the ending and the discussion here, the game would've left me unsatisfied.

Everyone's free to love the game and even consider it the best SH ever, for the story, the new ideas, etc. or for never liking the combat in the previous games (although the previous games also had 3D controls in addition to the "tank" controls), but this game does have clear shortcomings, and just listing the most important aspects of any game and saying this game does them better just isn't convincing.

Days like these... said:
Just leave him to his mercurial opinion of the game apparently he is the foremost authority on Silent Hill and his opinion on the game trumps everyone else's. This is like the Paranormal Activity thread all over again where he tried to convince everyone who thought it sucked/wasn't scary that we were wrong.

:lol Never have I said anything like that, good job at warping the facts. I've stated many times that I don't find this game scary, but I've also stated that I have warmed up to it and I actually quite like it a lot. All I said was that he shouldn't ignore the past titles just simply because of the controls. And one thing led to another.

Think what you will about my posts. I'm not some authority over anything. I just happen to love the series and I believe that I personally know what makes the games so great, but again that's my personal experience. All the guy said was that he's thinking about playing the other ones because of this one and I told him to go for it. How people can spin that around over on my head is beyond me.

Also, sorry EC. I just kind of felt like people were jumping onto me for recommending the other games and saying that he shouldn't let the gameplay get in the way of enjoyment because they're not about the gameplay. I just kind of thought the reaction to that extremely simple post was incredibly over the top.

Miburou

Anyway, some random stuff I've been thinking about:

SH3 happens 17 years after SH1, when Heather is 17 (or 24 depending on how you count).
SHSM happens 18 years after the accident, so 1 year after when SH3 would've happened. If you're like brandon and like to stretch it to connect the game, one could think that the events of SH3 were just another delusion of Cheryl's, and a year later she started seeing the shrink. Of course it doesn't explain why she'd imagine her dad being murdered by Claudia (maybe she represents her mom?)

Also,
when Harry has sex with Dhalia, did anyone think that it's Cheryl shows her love for her dad a bit too much? Dhalia is very young in that scene (around Cheryl's age) and dresses like her

Miburou

brandon: it's clear why you don't like the game; it doesn't have the tension or mystery of the other games. That's understandable, and that's why I also put it behind the first 3 SH games.

But there are other aspects of the game that others seem to really like, and that for you do not make up for the shortcomings. Your opinion is clear, but when you keep repeating it you just put yourself in a position where people will "jump on you" and you can't really blame them.

I didn't like Homecoming that much because half of it was more like an action game and the other half like a "best of SH moments" tribute, and I also did get some flak in the official thread for that (from you, too, no less).

It's possible that most hardcore SH fans don't think this game can touch SH1-3, but still see it as a good SH game, and that most of the people praising this game never played or liked the previous ones. But if this means more SH fans and a better prospect for future SH games, then I'm all for that. Better a talented developer taking the series into a new direction, than Konami abandoning it or letting devs who have no love for the series chrun out sequels that feel like mere imitations of the previous ones.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Medalion said:

Do it. SH1-3 are all great, and SH: 0rigins is a fine game too. SH4 is.. not bad, really, but a decent, if flawed, game. Homecoming is a bit on the VERY mediocre side, but the PC version was surprisingly more fluid in terms of combat than the PS3 version
not that it matters much anyway, I'm using a trainer to rock with godmode so I won't have to worry about the fuckshit boring combat, half the goddamn game so far has been slash slash repeat, dammit

doomed1 said:

As long as he doesn't play the PC version of SH2 (which doesn't even support mouse control, making it a major pain in the ass to play with keyboard only), he should be just fine.

DevelopmentArrested said:
How many long winded posts do you have in this thread exactly? You're regurgitated your point so many times: it's getting incredibly rote, no offense.

I made long winded posts about this game. You know, it being a discussion thread and all. I'm a fan of it. I like talking about it. Luckily it's easy, if you don't like what I have to say, to avert your eyes elsewhere.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I love this game as well, but I am definitely disappointed by the fact that it isn't scary at all (for me).

You keep pushing this agenda, but you seem to forget that only Silent Hill 1 forces tank controls. The sequels all offer more direct controls as an option (though they default to tank controls).

Also, the combat isn't really THAT bad. It improved with each installment and isn't stupidly frequent or necessary.

dark10x said:
Also, the combat isn't really THAT bad. It improved with each installment and isn't stupidly frequent or necessary.

This is what I think too. The gameplay and combat in the earlier games is so simple, easy, and inconsequential that it really doesn't matter at all. The games were clearly made as interactive horror experiences.

pakkit

Banned
brandonh83 said:
The games were clearly made as interactive horror experiences.

This is your interpretation of what the games are. Some of us play games to have fun playing them, which is why the tank controls in the old REs and Silent Hill games don't gell for me. There's a lot more to survival horror games than story or scariness, and not everyone's priorities fall in line with yours.

pakkit said:
This is your interpretation of what the games are. Some of us play games to have fun playing them, which is why the tank controls in the old REs and Silent Hill games don't gell for me. There's a lot more to survival horror games than story or scariness, and not everyone's priorities fall in line with yours.

If Team Silent thought they were more than interactive horror experiences I'm sure they would have made the gameplay more involving. But the focus was clearly on the story, characters, art direction, music, hell pretty much everything except gameplay. So I don't know man, I'm just going by what I've played of them. They're not gameplay heavy and they weren't designed as such. Either you like it or you don't. I'm not making any prophetic claims here nor am I trying to make up anyone's mind, NOR am I trying to be some kind of hive-mind authority on what Silent Hill is. But I can tell you, it's not meant to be gameplay-centric. That, I will lay down plainly.

beef3483

brandonh83 said:
I made long winded posts about this game. You know, it being a discussion thread and all. I'm a fan of it. I like talking about it. Luckily it's easy, if you don't like what I have to say, to avert your eyes elsewhere.

Technically, it isn't, if we want to read this thread.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
pakkit said:
Silent Hill 1 is the ONLY Silent Hill with forced tank controls. THE ONLY ONE. That excuse doesn't fly!!

Amir0x

Banned
beef3483 said:
Technically, it isn't, if we want to read this thread.

I don't think you know what "technically" means.

One, note user whose opinion is offending you (oh nos, negativity!)
Two, skip over post and posts responding to it (oh nos, negative discussions run away!)
Three, respond to posts which do conform to your rainbows, fairies and unicorn world or start a new fairytale post of love and magic.

Success

I know I was probably being annoying to the masses who loved the game earlier in the thread but I was just trying to give a man some good advice :lol

Haunted

Holy shit at the ending.

040723_MNightShyamalan_bcol_2p.widec.jpg

Medalion

Banned
I've finally made it to the third nightmare sequence in the Toluca mall... I am so lost... those creatures are working packs and in more places... it is also doesn't help I haven't gotten the hang of throwing those guys off me easily so I "die" a lot. I've watched a run through that is past this part, but I keep running like a bitch from those creatures... they sound like high pitched Velociraptors sometimes.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
EatChildren said:
Then it must be a pretty shitty series since 99% of my play time with all the Silent Hill's has not scared me.

Fear is subjective. What I love about Silent Hill is the art, lore, and atmosphere. It's not very scary for me. Tense? Sure, at times, but overall not that scary. When I play Silent Hill I mostly play to experience the world of Silent Hill and whatever story they've wrapped up in it.

Yes fear is subjective. And I don't mean scary in the sense that I'm terrified. I mean tense just like you said. I like feeling like I'm a bit worried about turning the next corner or opening the next door. One way that most survival horror games do this is by providing you with some inventory management aspect to the game. Without anything to do in the world, I really can't be scared or feel tense because I have nothing to worry about. There is nothing I can fail at. Nothing at all. The world provides no reason to get into it.
And part of what I feel has always made the Silent Hill stories so good is how the main character is usually showing some visual examples of fear themselves. Harry doesn't and really doesn't need to. He is pretty relaxed through the majority of his adventures. The phone messages didn't do much to pull in that sense of fear at all.
And the music never hits hard enough to give tension either. Pretty lackluster soundtrack compared to past games.

EatChildren said:
So for me Shattered Memories did a lot of what I want to see in the franchise. It got a lot wrong too, but I think it nailed the whole 'idea' of what I want the Silent Hill world to be, and has a fantastic plot wrapped up in it.

The world was pretty nice. But you didn't get to see any of it. No open exploration allowed in the game. Super linear path through everything.
One of the great parts of the Silent Hill games was the simple addition of locked doors that would never be opened. I can remember thinking about how stupid this was because Resident Evil let you open every door. And then I realized that it was intentional to have those locked to maybe cause frustration or a sense of being lost. Not sure what sense others would feel from it, but I wound up really liking it. In Shattered Memories there is no way to go off the beaten path. You are blocked in from every side and forced down the path they have chosen for you. I find that to be extremely weak game design.

EatChildren said:
This is coming from someone who generally hates the whole cult aspect of Silent Hill though. I can see exactly why some Silent Hill fans will walk away from Shattered Memories very disappointed, but it does what I like right.

I like my fantasy horror games to be more mystical, hence why I hate the whole cult aspect of Silent Hill as to me it ruins the mystery of the world itself. In that regard Shattered Memories is good. It doesnt try to explain Silent Hill beyond the actual plot itself, concerning all characters.

Well if if doesn't do anything to bring in the cult aspect of the town it doesn't need to be a Silent Hill game at all. I guess if they feel they want to reboot the series they can figure out a way to explain the town later. But there really wasn't any reason to call this Silent Hill at all. It's like Star Wars without Jedis. Kind of a key element.

EatChildren said:
EDIT: And yes I have played through most of the Silent Hills (have not played Origins, and hated Homecoming too much to finish), and yes I play games outside of the Wii (primarily a PC gamer, and have access to a PS3/Xbox36).

kinggroin said:
For the record, I played 1, 3, and 4 to completion. So far, for me, shattered memories ranks just behind 1 and 3. Definitely a great game, and a worthy entry into the series.

Obviously no; I don't play games only on the Wii :p

Kind of a silly question to ask, no?

I only asked the question regarding what other systems people game on because one of the best ways I can describe this game is "it's a very simplified version of Silent Hill". And there are quite a few games on the Wii that are simplified versions of other games. And if a gamer only played games on Wii they might not have a point of reference of what games in this generation offer.

I'm glad people have enjoyed the game. I'm glad I played it, but only because I am a Silent Hill fan. It is one of my favorite games series. I really did like how the story played out. I thought it was pretty cool.

But the game design itself is near horrible in my opinion.
- No interaction with the world. Like nothing in the world responds to your touch as far as physics is concerned.
- No exploration in the town at all. Nothing to see, nothing to do.
- No challenge in the puzzles. Puzzles have been one of the elements that Silent Hill is most known for. Heck you could even select a riddle difficulty in games past. I still remember the zodiac puzzle in the first game giving me fits for days (no internet back then for me). And when I finally solved it I didn't even know how I did it.

Where is the game? How is walking around a linear path, finding a locked door, finding a key beside the door, opening the door and continuing on your linear path a game?

Story was great though. Loved the story. :)

stuminus3

What the fuck. What the fucking fuck.

Endgame
psych eval described me to an exact tee. I sat and watched a video game describe exactly who and what I am like.

Not scary? I have never been so creeped out in my life. Holy crap!

Seriously though, I'll post more detailed thoughts tomorrow, once I've had time to let the game sink in. I think I've got a lot more to think about than I initially thought I would. :lol

i agree with most: game would be better without the nightmare sequences. how many are there in the game?

LOVING everything outside of the chase scenes though. awesome atmosphere, cool controls, nice graphics, awesome music and sound.

Nemesis_

How on earth can people be finding this creepy. >_>

I just finished Lisa's Apartment and completed the guilt psych test.

Top Bottom