• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

iammeiam

brandonh83 said:
Just trying to like the game more. If anyone has any suggestions, let 'em fly.

There are probably a million reasons this wouldn't work, and there are some details I can't remember, but:

This sort of falls apart if the date of Harry's death is set far in the past by anything that cannot be explained away, or if we're given Cheryl's official age at any point. I think you can link them if you make SM Cheryl post-SH3 Cheryl.

Post-SH3, Cheryl's got to be pretty messed up by the experience. Harry relayed some form of the SH1 events to her, so it's also highly likely that she blames herself for his death. His death was set in motion by the car crash in SH1, and the subsequent search for his first daughter. If we go with "bad end" Cheryl, the game ends with her insane and at the amusement park, which is pretty close to where SM ends.

So then SH's nature kicks in, and the half-formed pieces of people Cheryl heard about from Harry begin taking physical shape. She's trying to process everything that happened, and winds up at Lighthouse dealing with a slightly off-kilter Dr. K who's possibly not even real. The events of SM all take place as a result of Cheryl's conversation; she envisions Harry as he was in SH1, possibly trying to rewrite things so that his death years later doesn't happen. Harry's looking for seven-year-old Cheryl because she wants to come up with a version where he finds her instead of getting the Heather infant.

In this scenario, Harry winds up being like SH2 Maria. He's there for one person and one person only, but he thinks he's real. He runs into people who are either twisted interpretations of the story he told Heather (Lisa, a nurse, is eventually killed by drugs; Dahlia's her mother and responsible for most of the pain in her life, etc.) Her conversations with Dr. K forge the path Harry winds up taking; at the end, she's processed things to a point where she can let Harry go.

So Cheryl takes the half-story she got from Harry, combines it with some possible actual trauma from her childhood (maybe Harry remarried, even if briefly?), and maybe a few residual Alessa memories, and constructs the alternate course of SH1 events. Maybe the real Harry did become an epic drunk in the aftermath of SH1; maybe there was a nasty divorce in her childhood; she's trying to purge the 'bad' memories by retelling the part of Harry's story that comes before all that. In the process of trying to tell her second-hand story, she's inadvertantly creating large pieces of the story (ie Harry) out in Silent Hill. In the end, either Cheryl is talked back to reality, no longer feeling guilty for Harry's demise, or Dr. K succeeds in tearing Harry's memory away from her, and she winds up staying in SH to live out the alternate life she'd tried to create for herself.

I don't know how well it all hangs together, but more than anything I think this game is an excellent framework for a sequel, so
I'd really like to see something in which this wasn't 100% delusion; Silent Hill: Shattered Memories 2 would kind of suck if SH is just a normal town with a deluded resident.

Hiltz

I need some help with the game.

I'm currently lost trying to get to the
school gym but I can't seem to find a way to get to it.I've been to some abandoned buildings like that fast food joint and stripper club.

Anyone know the right way to go ?

Hiltz said:
I need some help with the game.

I'm currently lost trying to get to the
school gym but I can't seem to find a way to get to it. I found two ghost images outside of the school near some abandoned buildings like that fast food joint and stripper club.

Anyone know the right way to go ?

Go into the fast food place, look for a door with a exit sign in there, go out there and it will take you further to the school. I have a feeling your always using the stairs and that just leads you in a loop.

Hiltz

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Go into the fast food place, look for a door with a exit sign in there, go out there and it will take you further to the school. I have a feeling your always using the stairs and that just leads you in a loop.

I tried that exit before but I must have missed the path or something. I just ended up goin around in circles before. Thanks for the tip.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hiltz said:
I tried that exit before but I must have missed the path or something. I just ended up goin around in circles before. Thanks for the tip.
Check the window to the left of the play poster and freakout moment with the car. You should be able to interact.

iammeiam said:
This sort of falls apart if the date of Harry's death is set far in the past by anything that cannot be explained away, or if we're given Cheryl's official age at any point.
Cheryl is 25 years old at the time of these events, 18 years from the age of 7, when her father died in a car accident leaving the house for the divorce. This accident 18 years ago from the time of the game was either due to a freak storm (as alluded to by the snowfall in one of the endings), or DUI (sloppy drunk ending). So no, your theory falls right apart.

brandonh83 said:
I'm trying to figure out ways in which
I can relate this game, somehow, to the canon in the original at least to a point where I can consider it a "companion piece" as in, okay SH1 is told from Harry's POV and Shattered Memories is told from Cheryl's. I know it's not that clear-cut and many things get in the way.
I'll just repeat my advice: don't even try. Read into it all you like, but keep in mind the game intends to separate itself completely save for some superficial details. don't forget,
Dahlia is a different character with a completely different roll. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to put Dr. K in the same boat.
Judge the game for what it is. You can certainly make mechanical comparisons to other SH games, but to try and tie in the story is foolish at best, and reaching at worst. Just keep telling yourself: all the references are superficial, they each have their own, separate meaning in the context of this game in comparison of other SH games.

Miburou

Didn't the developer themselves say that SM is in an alternate universe compared to SH1? But if you still want to tie them together
you could think of the bad ending in SH1 (where Harry is dead in the crash, and all the events in the game were in his head during his dying moments) and that SHSM continues from there, with Cheryl not accepting his death. Of course this would clash with Origins and SH3.

You could even explain the different appearance of some characters as depending on how differently Harry and Cheryl viewed them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Miburou said:
Didn't the developer themselves say that SM is in an alternate universe compared to SH1? But if you still want to tie them together
you could think of the bad ending in SH1 (where Harry is dead in the crash, and all the events in the game were in his head during his dying moments) and that SHSM continues from there, with Cheryl not accepting his death. Of course this would clash with Origins and SH3.

You could even explain the different appearance of some characters as depending on how differently Harry and Cheryl viewed them.

That's essentially what I was about to post :lol I guess you could consider SH3 as the 'canon' sequel to SH1, and SH:SM as a 'what if' sequel, where the two games (SH3 and SH:SM) follow the two branching paths set forth by the good and the bad SH1 endings respectively.

Just finished it. Aside from the at times infuriating chase sequences, this is my favorite SH since 2. Such an amazingly tight experience, with a genuinely interesting story, a great take on the established characters, and one of the best twist endings I've seen in a while. THIS is how you evolve the Silent Hill franchise (for the most part -- like I said, those chase sequences need work).

Bravo, Climax.

Edit: Some really interesting theories in this thread, but trying to connect SM to the rest of the series? That's like trying to establish a definitive Zelda timeline -- the pieces can't and won't add up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Prince of Space said:
Edit: Some really interesting theories in this thread, but trying to connect SM to the rest of the series? That's like trying to establish a definitive Zelda timeline -- the pieces can't and won't add up.

Yeah, I dont get why people are trying. From the very start it's been labled as a re-imagining of the first game. The first game, ie the game that started the whole thing. It even takes many of the characters, some only in name, and locals from the first Silent Hill.

The game is built on Silent Hill lore in a very lose way, acting as if it is the only Silent Hill game to exist. Trying to tie it with other games just makes it seem worse, in my opinion, because it doesn't 'work'.

faridmon

I am surprised at the positive impressions about this game, thought its going to be avarage but man, well done Climax.

maybe i can get this, but i am really sissy when it comes to Horror games.

i hate dilemmas :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm still enjoying it quite a bit.

I did, however, pop in Silent Hill 3 last night just for kicks and it was immediately clear that the Western developed games are missing something. It's difficult to place my finger on it, but there is definitely a very strange feeling to world presented in the older games. Something about the lighting and art direction just really leaves you feeling a bit... weird. There is definitely something present that was never captured by any of the other games past the third title.

Not sure if I'm just sleepy or what, but I just walked out of the art studio and into the high school courtyard with the statue of the school founder...and I can not find my way to the gym. I feel sad right now, but Im blaming it on the lack of sleep, as Im running in circles :lol

kinggroin

Banned
I think i know what you mean (@dark). its like even when we're not in otherworld silent hill, you dont feel safe. no matter what, no matter where, the older games (maybe even especially the 4th) make you feel uneasy.

That said, this game has definitely been a welcome change to the series. probably the most atmospheric and involving entry, thanks to the new direction. first time i ever felt like i truly was visiting silent hill and not simply some outsider looking in.

EatChildren said:
Yeah, I dont get why people are trying. From the very start it's been labled as a re-imagining of the first game. The first game, ie the game that started the whole thing. It even takes many of the characters, some only in name, and locals from the first Silent Hill.

The game is built on Silent Hill lore in a very lose way, acting as if it is the only Silent Hill game to exist. Trying to tie it with other games just makes it seem worse, in my opinion, because it doesn't 'work'.

I honestly don't think you can really say, either way. Silent Hill is such an ambiguous series and that didn't change with this game. No offense, I just don't think anyone is really qualified to say, for sure, that this game cannot at least in some ways connect because nothing is clear-cut about anything. Nobody really knows the distinction between fact or fiction here. Did Climax make this game possible to connect to the original? I don't know. Probably not. But they also didn't make anything too clear either. If you take some of the "facts" presented in this game, then it's impossible to connect it. But again, how much truth is there to these facts? I think it's entirely 100% questionable, as it should be.

MiniDitka

abstract alien said:
Not sure if I'm just sleepy or what, but I just walked out of the art studio and into the high school courtyard with the statue of the school founder...and I can not find my way to the gym. I feel sad right now, but Im blaming it on the lack of sleep, as Im running in circles :lol
Did you solve the puzzle in the art studio?

Hiltz

I just got to the safe zone after
being chased by the monsters in the school. Now it says I have to take 3 photographs of 3 locations in the school.

Does anyone else have an issue with the cell phone to access the photo gallery option ? The game's crashing on me whenever I click on it. It's a good thing I constantly save my game file. In the very beginning of the game, it wasn't a problem until I got to
the cabin where the frozen family is at.

I can't save any new photos I take because the cell phone's photo limit says "Full" and I hope it doesn't screw me if the game requires to save the 3 photos I need to take to solve this next puzzle (I don't know how to get rid of it) .

Hiltz

Ridley327 said:
You only need to snap the photos. You'll hear a music cue that lets you know that the photo has been recognized.

Good, that's what I wanted to hear. That's what I've been doing with the ghost images too. Although, I've also just walk right into them and you can still obtain the message from them.

It always seems like I manage to die once during the chase sequences. I'm just happy that the game doesn't really penalize you for it. Wish Henry ran a bit faster though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
By trying to connect this game with anything else in Silent Hill mythology you are going into Shattered Memories already with an opinion against it and you'd be totally diminishing your value of it by even trying to make any sense of cohesion. It must be experienced for what it is as opposed to what it is not. Otherwise you just wont appreciate what it is trying to be.

Meanwhile, there certainly a variety of different paths one can take throughout the game... I never entered that area in any clothing shop that I've seen in a hundred pictures where you have to zip down woman's jackets, and I've never found any Art Studio either :lol

Hiltz

It still amazes me how many people think Shattered Memories is a remake.

I've started to notice some of the areas that I've seen in trailers are not the places I have been to during my first play through of the game. I'm appreciating the benefits that the psych profile is offering and it will certainly give this game some good replay value too.

Combichristoffersen

John Harker said:
Meanwhile, there certainly a variety of different paths one can take throughout the game... I never entered that area in any clothing shop that I've seen in a hundred pictures where you have to zip down woman's jackets, or I never found any Art Studio either :lol

I briefly played SH:SM, and got to that part, and the 'puzzle' of figuring out which jacket to unzip has to be one of the sorriest excuses for a puzzle in any SH game ever :lol Are the rest of the puzzles in the game the same, or do they get better/more challenging?

Hiltz

Combichristoffersen said:
I briefly played SH:SM, and got to that part, and the 'puzzle' of figuring out which jacket to unzip has to be one of the sorriest excuses for a puzzle in any SH game ever :lol Are the rest of the puzzles in the game the same, or do they get better/more challenging?

So far, the only puzzle that I've been frustrated by has been the one in the school art room where you have to pick up objects and place them in a certain way.

They get tougher, of course.

That was the obligatory "getting-gamers-accustomed-to-the-control-scheme" puzzle.

Speaking of puzzles, I never did figure out the combination to the safe inside the mall toy store. Spent hours trying to figure it out, but when I discovered that it wasn't necessary to solve it in order to advance, I disregarded it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

There arent any real "puzzles" in this game... it's more about being "real world" adventure type games. Like, the key to a place 90% of the time is in the room the locked door is in, usually in a purse. Or you have to remove barriers for a door before you can open it, or look around someones sock draw for something, maybe play a music box combo once or twice. It's more about "uniquely interacting with your world via the Wii motion" then "arbitrarily solving some demonic-locked gate."

So in short, yea, most are pretty easy like the above example... though remember, the game is "playing" you too. So if you zip the jacket with the large breasts and bra visible first, the game notes that, as well as how long you linger on each jacket, noting what kind of, uh, anatomy you're interested in etc

There's really only one awful puzzle , but that's largely due to it being more of a patience tester than an actual puzzle.

oh c'mon now... there's an X ( "waypoint added" ) marked on your map that shows you exactly where the solution is ;)

Ridley327

There's really only one awful puzzle
(the gumball puzzle in the nightmare mall)
, but that's largely due to it being more of a patience tester than an actual puzzle.

Combichristoffersen

John Harker said:
There arent any real "puzzles" in this game... it's more about being "real world" adventure type games. Like, the key to a place 90% of the time is in the room the locked door is in, usually in a purse. Or you have to remove barriers for a door before you can open it, or look around someones sock draw for something, maybe play a music box combo once or twice. It's more about "uniquely interacting with your world via the Wii motion" then "arbitrarily solving some demonic-locked gate."

So in short, yea, most are pretty easy like the above example... though remember, the game is "playing" you too. So if you zip the jacket with the large breasts and bra visible first, the game notes that, as well as how long you linger on each jacket, noting what kind of, uh, anatomy you're interested in etc

The game reacts to which jacket you stare the longest at etc.? Now that's actualy quite cool.

Would be so so so so awesome if the made Harry do the 'dat ass' face if you spent enough time staring at pictures of female butts :lol

Ridley327 said:
, but that's largely due to it being more of a patience tester than an actual puzzle.

Not really a puzzle,
but the school snapshots was the worst mission in the game. It was frustrating enough finding the "safe spot" in the nightmare world, but forcing me to traverse through and around that maze of a school again?

Ridley327

John Harker said:
oh c'mon now... there's an X ( "waypoint added" ) marked on your map that shows you exactly where the solution is ;)

No; it has more to do with the fact that you don't even need to go to where the waypoint is; you can literally just turn the dial until you get the solution. It's not "puzzling" in the slightest.

NintendosBooger said:
Not really a puzzle,
but the school snapshots was the worst mission in the game. It was frustrating enough finding the "safe spot" in the nightmare world, but forcing me to traverse through and around that maze of a school again?

That really wasn't that bad.
The map saves your "progress" through the level with the blue route paths on the map, so it's really easy to double back should the need present itself.

Ridley327 said:
No; it has more to do with the fact that you don't even need to go to where the waypoint is; you can literally just turn the dial until you get the solution. It's not "puzzling" in the slightest.

That really wasn't that bad.
The map saves your "progress" through the level with the blue route paths on the map, so it's really easy to double back should the need present itself.

Shiieeeet, fuck stopping and looking at the map. The moment I hear a ghoulish scream, my ass is running like a madman on coke.

NintendosBooger said:
Not really a puzzle,
Their seemed to be less enemies around when I had to do that one so It wasn't a problem for me. That is one part where the game could have benefited by a stealth system though.

hellclerk

Ridley327 said:
I hope you know you could have just shaken the gumball machine candy holding sphere... thing to change the color of the next gumball.

wrowa

NintendosBooger said:
Not really a puzzle,
That was the only chasing scene I enjoyed, actually. Had the feeling there were less enemies around at that time and therefore it wasn't so much annoying as thrilling.

MiniDitka said:
Did you solve the puzzle in the art studio?
Well, when I did it all I got
was (what seemed to be imo) some numbers on the paper caused by shadows. I assumed that they were the combination to some puzzle later, so I left with nothing at that point and went to bed. I wasnt sure if I was actually seeing numbers, or if my mind was playing with me due to sleep deprivation
:^/

Im gonna turn it back on in a sec and see whats up now that I have a fresh brain.

Edit: Just did it. That was pretty clever.

Hiltz

Just wondering, how far am I in the game if I'm near the end of the school ?

Am I close to the halfway point?

hellclerk

Ridley327 said:
You could? Huh, you learn something new everyday.
yeah, I was trying to figure out how to get the right combination when my hand slipped. Was kind of a fluke really, but it taught me to mouse over everything I could.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
After a couple of hours, I can't help but feel disappointed. It's like the game is split into two parts. They quickly establish that the real world is completely safe and nothing can hurt you (like a huge Res Evil save room). Which makes it incredibly predictable and in turn drains that part of any horror it might have had otherwise.
No puzzles either, and everything you can interact with is clearly marked in the world with an arrow. and a locked door almost always means the key is around the corner. Just below the arrow.
The 'horror' part appears instead to be packed into these running sequences, which often leaves me very confused because I have no idea where to go (and the map doesn't really help much, the few times I manage to actually look at it before being attacked - and why can't I look at the map when I'm hiding in a locker?). It manages to make me frustrated, which I assume isn't the point.

I was so excited for this game, it's actually the only game I've picked up for full price during 2009. And I'll admit I'm a huge Silent Hill and horror fan, but this isn't about it not being enough Silent Hill. This is about it not being enough horror, or enough game really. It's so predictable and empty.

BUT as I said, just a couple of hours in, perhaps things will change for the better later on, and my problems will go away? At least it looks great, the music is ok and the story has me interested.

Kiriku said:
The 'horror' part appears instead to be packed into these running sequences, which often leaves me very confused because I have no idea where to go (and the map doesn't really help much, the few times I manage to actually look at it before being attacked - and why can't I look at the map when I'm hiding in a locker?). It manages to make me frustrated, which I assume isn't the point.
Thats the whole point. You're supposed to feel lost and confused. Don't look at your map. Just run. As long as you keep moving you'll find your way eventually.

atomsk

Party Pooper
the second part of the mall chase sequence is driving me nuts. i died about 3 times before finally rage quitting

will try again tomorrow

kinggroin

Banned
Kiriku said:
After a couple of hours, I can't help but feel disappointed. It's like the game is split into two parts. They quickly establish that the real world is completely safe and nothing can hurt you (like a huge Res Evil save room). Which makes it incredibly predictable and in turn drains that part of any horror it might have had otherwise.
No puzzles either, and everything you can interact with is clearly marked in the world with an arrow. and a locked door almost always means the key is around the corner. Just below the arrow.

I was so excited for this game, it's actually the only game I've picked up for full price during 2009. And I'll admit I'm a huge Silent Hill and horror fan, but this isn't about it not being enough Silent Hill. This is about it not being enough horror, or enough game really. It's so predictable and empty.

BUT as I said, just a couple of hours in, perhaps things will change for the better later on, and my problems will go away? At least it looks great, the music is ok and the story has me interested.

While those are all valid points (none of which has affected my enjoyment personally), the original team's games weren't exactly gameplay heavy either. Puzzles were only mildly more complex (and usually pretty stupid as well) and combat was actually a pain in the ass. You take those two things away and what you have left is well, I'll quote you:

At least it looks great, the music is ok and the story has me interested

In my opinion, those three elements are what make silent hill games what they are. When I think back on the first four titles, its the atmosphere (visuals/presentation), music, and story that stands out most.

For folks complaining about a lack of horror, well, like someone else mentioned in this thread; it's very much a subjective/personal thing. Some feel the presence of danger at all times creates a horrifying game. Others feel the same about the cheap loud-noise scares (remember the cat in the locker in the first game?). While others like me, feel the convincing construction of our favorite ghost town - the intricate details that make it the star character in each story, are the key aspects to providing a horrifying experience. The fact that you can't die in the "normal" silent hill, only compounds the horror (for some) when the chase sequences finally arrive. You're like, "SHIT....not again". That helplessness then, can be the horror for yet another type of person.

Something for everyone basically.

I love that you really can't find folks agreeing universally on which silent hill is scarier, or more horrifying. I love how whatever everyone brings into each game, they take from it. I love this series.

scitek

That's not a puzzle, the key is under whichever jacket you pick first every time, it's just looking at which jacket you pick to help profile you. Picking the conservative jacket gets you the butch Cybil, picking the one with the bra underneath gets you Cybil's cleavage. There were even arrows above the jackets, so they clearly weren't trying to fool anyone.

J-Rock

Banned
Wow, right now I'm trying to get to the lighthouse...I love this game. Really enjoying the story. To me the gameplay kind of feels like it has some classic point & click adventure elements mixed with crazy moments from a David Lynch film. I actually like the chase sequences. They aren't perfect but I like the overall concept. They start off a little bland in the begining but the last couple of chase moments I've experienced were pretty interesting and intense. I could see the base elements of this game being fine tuned and polished if Climax gets to do a sequel. I hope they get that chance.

hellclerk

atomsk said:
the second part of the mall chase sequence is driving me nuts. i died about 3 times before finally rage quitting

will try again tomorrow
The second part just shows you where you can find the solution to the bubblegum puzzle. Just move fast, look where you need and get back.

Miburou

doomed1 said:
I hope you know you could have just shaken the gumball machine candy holding sphere... thing to change the color of the next gumball.

I didn't realize that the first time I played the game, and after listening to the voice message I went back to see the solution and just kept trying until I worked. I thought it was one of those puzzles that solves itself when you figure out the solution. It wasn't until my second playthrough that I learned that you could do that.

Miburou

scitek said:
That's not a puzzle, the key is under whichever jacket you pick first every time, it's just looking at which jacket you pick to help profile you. Picking the conservative jacket gets you the butch Cybil, picking the one with the bra underneath gets you Cybil's cleavage. There were even arrows above the jackets, so they clearly weren't trying to fool anyone.

Are you sure about that? Because I don't remember encountering this 'puzzle' on my first playthrough, or is there another test that does the same job?

Miburou said:
Are you sure about that? Because I don't remember encountering this 'puzzle' on my first playthrough, or is there another test that does the same job?
You can skip it entirely by going through the AV store. I'm not sure if that's a choice or the game decides which one you're going to take.

I went to the dress shop and it was pretty obviously a profile thing and not a puzzle.

scitek

Miburou said:

Yeah, it's not a puzzle. I've played through the game three times and still have yet to encounter anything but the dress shop, BTW. Got to the bar once, though.

hellclerk

scitek said:
Yeah, it's not a puzzle. I've played through the game three times and still have yet to encounter anything but the dress shop, BTW. Got to the bar once, though.
I'm pretty sure that it's the door you open first, just like the planetary and the art room.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
doomed1 said:
I'm pretty sure that it's the door you open first, just like the planetary and the art room.

Yep. There are a couple of areas in the game which go by the 'first door' rule.

Top Bottom