• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

frogg609 said:
So my game locked up when I went to the gallery section on my phone. I went to the Wii menu, went back in, and now my game save is gone.

I was almost to the end of the game.

Anyone, is there a way to get it back? I am about to flip out right now.
Someone help :^(

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So I started playing Shattered Memories again. Working my way through school, story's getting more interesting, atmosphere is better in the "normal" world. Oh good, maybe the game will turn out better than I thought after all.
But then...nightmare world strikes again! I'm lost and even with a map showing me where to go I can barely navigate myself towards the exit. It's just a confusing mess of doors, monsters and darkness. So fucking annoying, and as I sit there flapping my arms trying to get rid of all the monsters jumping at me and killing me for the fifth time it's almost like I just want to give up on this game.
Is there something I'm missing, like the game showing me where to go in a subtle way, a good way to avoid enemies, anything!? I tried to turn off my flashlight to avoid monsters, but that makes it impossible to navigate, and I never have enough time to stop and actually make sense of the GPS.
Or just give me a "skip nightmare sequence" cheat or something, I don't think I can take much more of this. :/

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
There is no "true way" through the Nightmare, that's the point... you aren't suppose to be exploring. There are tons of ways to go. If you just randomly run you get out. These sequences don't last even 5 minutes, really... you just start and you constantly run forward till you get to the "story sequence" that triggers the end. The only time you need the map, perhaps, if you're trying to escape the school or figure out the colored ball puzzle in the mall. Otherwise, theres' no way to go lost: you just run straight. eventually, you're out. Automatic, bam zoom. It's really not that bad....

Kevtones

I've really enjoyed all the chase sequences, particularly the one near the
wrecked train
due to the awesome, awesome sound.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
John Harker said:
There is no "true way" through the Nightmare, that's the point... you aren't suppose to be exploring. There are tons of ways to go. If you just randomly run you get out. These sequences don't last even 5 minutes, really... you just start and you constantly run forward till you get to the "story sequence" that triggers the end. The only time you need the map, perhaps, if you're trying to escape the school or figure out the colored ball puzzle in the mall. Otherwise, theres' no way to go lost: you just run straight. eventually, you're out. Automatic, bam zoom. It's really not that bad....

You make it sound so easy, I must be playing a different game! :p
I've been running randomly A LOT, and it gets me nowhere (especially since I have no idea where to go in the first place). But finally, I searched the net for a map showing me the exact way, and even with the map it took me like 2-3 tries until I managed to reach the exit without being killed first. I can't even imagine how long it would've taken me had I not used it. Hopefully the school is the worst nightmare sequence. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EatChildren's tips for annoying nightmare sequences;

- Note the direction you're running at all times. Really. Just note whether you're going north, east, south, or west. Turn a corner? Think about how far you've run relative to where you started. In pretty much every single nightmare scene the goal will be the furthest point from where you started. If you find yourself running back towards the start point too long then you're going the wrong way.

- The map is useless. Its hard to read and it poorly displays areas where you can/cannot go. Dont bother.

- Flip over anything and everything. Monsters are faster than you and will catch up, but the more hurdles you create for them the better. Remember to shake the nunchuck whenever climbing or crawling as it will speed up the animation.

- You have to shake the nunchuck and remote in the direction of the monster that is grabbing you. If it is latched on to your right side, shake to the right. The controls are a bit iffy but hardly all that bad. If its consistently not working there's something wrong with your controller or, more likely, you.

- There is only one chase scene with a 'puzzle' so dont bother exploring. Your goal is to get to the finish. Just run. As for the one with the puzzle, it's really very easy. The monster count seems to be cut back to stop it from being too tedious, and the locations you must go to are all essentially in one direction.

- If you feel you're lost you might as well let the monsters get you. It will return you to the start of the chase scene with zero penalty.

EatChildren said:
The map is useless. Its hard to read and it poorly displays areas where you can/cannot go. Dont bother.
I totally disagree. It marks the doors pretty clearly and I used it in each and every sequence to get past them with very little if any fuss. (I think I died a total of three times through the whole game) If anything it's extremely useful to get a bearing on the right direction you should be going.

Kiriku said:
I've been running randomly A LOT, and it gets me nowhere
So I'm going to tell you the opposite of what you were just told a few posts ago. Try not to run around randomly.

Use your map. That's what it's there for. Your exit point is marked by a big old blue X. When you get a point where the chase lulls a bit, open your cell, click on the map and hit the zoom option to make the map go full screen. That essentially pauses the chase sequence and allows you to get your bearings and in which direction you should be heading. Sometimes there won't be much of a lull but you need to take a chance and open up the cell and zoom the map out quickly to make sure you're going the right way. You should be able to get through the sequence pretty easily doing that.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just finished the game and it got better as it went on. overall a great game, with some bad implementation of scare tactics. Had a great story and some strong characters. 8.5/10 if I had to rate it, and I would suggest anyone with a wii to play it.

Oh and...

shidoshi said:
I'm way behind on reading this thread, but from the bits and pieces that I've read, I'm really shocked at how many people are loving this game. I mean, I just don't get it.
Do you have to "get it"? It's clicking with people where as it didn't click with you. I think Nekofrog said it best:

Nekofrog said:
It's just time to change.
Some, like yourself may not like the changes or the direction but you can't satisfy everyone as the old saying goes.

Kiriku said:
So I started playing Shattered Memories again. Working my way through school, story's getting more interesting, atmosphere is better in the "normal" world. Oh good, maybe the game will turn out better than I thought after all.
But then...nightmare world strikes again! I'm lost and even with a map showing me where to go I can barely navigate myself towards the exit. It's just a confusing mess of doors, monsters and darkness. So fucking annoying, and as I sit there flapping my arms trying to get rid of all the monsters jumping at me and killing me for the fifth time it's almost like I just want to give up on this game.
Is there something I'm missing, like the game showing me where to go in a subtle way, a good way to avoid enemies, anything!? I tried to turn off my flashlight to avoid monsters, but that makes it impossible to navigate, and I never have enough time to stop and actually make sense of the GPS.
Or just give me a "skip nightmare sequence" cheat or something, I don't think I can take much more of this. :/

I've been in the exact same position :lol Haven't touched the game since I've died for the 4th times.

But thanks for the tips above, I'll continue my playthrough later on tonight.

scitek

The Main Event said:
I've been in the exact same position :lol Haven't touched the game since I've died for the 4th times.

But thanks for the tips above, I'll continue my playthrough later on tonight.
ALPHAMALE_GAF.jpg

Miburou

Yeah, don't listen to the people telling you not to use the map. You leave a faint blue trail on the map, so even if you just run around randomly, looking at the map will tell you where you've been (and thus, what door warps where). Just running around randomly WILL NOT get you out; that it worked for one person doesn't mean it will work for you. You'll just end up running in circles.

The way I did it is I tried to memorize what doors I've gone through (and the presence of a lot of enemies behind a door means you've been there already), and then I'd take a quick glance at the map (didn't know zoomed out stopped the game; probably for the better since the game needed every ounce of tension it could get), and see what doors I've gone through and which I haven't (via the trail you leave on the map). The iffy controls mean you'll still probably die a couple of times even if it's your 3rd playthrough, but looking at your trail on the map and avoiding doors with many enemies behind (plus memorizing what route you've taken) should see you finish them fairly quickly.

EatChildren said:
- The map is useless. Its hard to read and it poorly displays areas where you can/cannot go. Dont bother.

I didn't find the map useful for plotting courses, but I did bring it up whenever I got confused and disoriented. I used it to make sure I wasn't heading back along the blue path.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'll often just bring up the map to reorient myself if I get a moment of down-time. It won't give me an exact path, but it will give me a general idea of the direction I should be heading. That, coupled with the line that traces your footsteps, is very useful.

Teknoman

Just finished playing for awhile...and running around randomly is just what I did :lol Got out just fine, and the motion shoving worked ok for me. Though I never really paid attention to what direction it said to shove, just either the nunchuck or remote icon. Just went with instinct on which way to shove the controler.

The graphics are really sharp though, and it feels strange playing a Silent Hill game that mostly moves at close to 60fps. Like the atmosphere, and the nightmare chases make me feel like im actually being chased.

Dont randomly flail around when trying to shake the monsters, just act like you're trying to elbow them off you (either with one arm or both depend on how you were grabbed). Basically just do the chases as you would in real life if you had no real way to defend yourself and you should be fine.

Got the game yesterday. 8 hours later...
omg i predicted the "it's cheryl in the therapist's seat" like back at e3 or when the game was announced, i am super cool own dude.

Very cool game, though there are some annoyances.

I got the "Weak and Wicked" ending, so I was really sad to see Harry getting abused by Dahlia. Cheryl accepted her father's death and let him go. Glad I didn't get the other endings, which make it sound like Harry was a real jackass. The notes from Kaufman (who really needs to lose his license, by the way), actually hit really close to home, noting my OCD tendencies to check every little detail in a game*, how I kept closing cabinets or doors after I had found the item, and I think it noted how I tried to "game" some of the psyche profile things by acting like they were trick questions: I said that all the people were sleeping, that 2 of the couples were same-sex, and that none of the ink-blots were sexual in nature.

*Speaking of which, that was one minor thing, how looking at one poster or opening a certain door in a room would close off the others. Made me very conscientious of what I was doing. Though posters with phone numbers on them didn't trigger a response.

Chase sequences were actually pretty cool, though the motion control oddities kinda held them back. I got weird disjointed creatures with sliced up bodies and heads made out of crosses and blocks.

Now for a replay to see things go differently, and maybe get the UFO ending from Kinuko <3

Played through this game in one sitting the other day...knew it was supposed to be on the short side, so I just rented it and plowed through.

I liked the general atmosphere and lack of combat, but really didn't care too much for the chase sequences. I really don't feel the game would have been any worse had they been left out completely.

The one thing I really appreciated was how much more linear it was than other Silent Hill games. I always hated how the older games inevitably degenerated into a doorknob-jiggle fest, constantly checking the map and trying random doors to see which one can be opened.

Story didn't really pay off for me like it did for some people, perhaps I didn't do myself any favors rushing through it like I did.

Still, I liked a lot of things this game did regarding the flashlight and using the motion controls to interact with puzzles. I hope other developers rip off certian aspects of this game to create unique Wii 'adventure' games. I can see detective stories or weird psychological thrillers working well in this format.

Haunted

Another tip for the chase sequences is to look back with D-Pad down - when there's one of those things close behind Harry, he'll freak out and run a bit faster for the next couple seconds. Works even if his health is down and he's limping. It's a real life-saver in some situations.

Couple that with the very useful knocking shit over mechanic and the map pausing whenever you go fullscreen (which takes about half a second)... yeah, the chase sequences aren't that hard from a gameplay perspective.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, I found that the
psych profile at the end was pretty accurate about me. They picked up on some very interesting stuff. I was just disappointed that they didn't do more with it.

Another thing I found that helps is turning off your flashlight as soon as the creatures aren't right on your ass. On some stages it might hurt, but a lot of the important stuff glows so you don't need it that much, and it makes it harder for you to be spotted.

Motion stuff was weird at first. At times it worked flawlessly, with me just going "lol no" and elbowing them off as soon as they touched me. Other times I couldn't get them off no matter what. I think I'm getting the hang of it now, once you start to realize exactly how they want you to push and pull.

Also, this line was awesome:
"...What is this place!?"
"It's a boat. It's like a car, but goes on water."

G.O.O.

EmCeeGramr said:
Going through a second playthrough... a lot is different so far, even though I only did a few things differently.
Can you tell more, please ? I'm wondering if I should have a second playthrough, regarding the conclusion of
the report you have during the credits
, and if I should keep the same answers or not.

wrowa

Haunted said:
Another tip for the chase sequences is to look back with D-Pad down - when there's one of those things close behind Harry, he'll freak out and run a bit faster for the next couple seconds. Works even if his health is down and he's limping. It's a real life-saver in some situations..

You can look back? wtf. I never noticed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
Another tip for the chase sequences is to look back with D-Pad down - when there's one of those things close behind Harry, he'll freak out and run a bit faster for the next couple seconds. Works even if his health is down and he's limping. It's a real life-saver in some situations.

Couple that with the very useful knocking shit over mechanic and the map pausing whenever you go fullscreen (which takes about half a second)... yeah, the chase sequences aren't that hard from a gameplay perspective.
oh, neat. never realised that.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Haunted said:

Nice

Haunted said:
Pro Tip #6: Always try out every button at the start of the game. :p

I knew about looking backwards because I am the only person in the world that still reads manuals

I didn't realize it could make Harry run faster though -_-

G.O.O.

revolverjgw said:
I knew about looking backwards because I am the only person in the world that still reads manuals
It's told in the game anyway. But not the running faster thing, of course...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Interesting you guys found the map useful. I really hated it, and to be frank didnt need it anyway. As I said, the objective of pretty much each chase scene was to get to a goal that was always the furthest point from the starting position. As I ran I made a constant mental note of which direction I was going and for how long, so I always knew where I was relative to the starting position.

Mapped it out in my head and made it a breeze to navigate. Once you have it down its funny how easy most of the chases are, particuarly the first one. The only chase sequence I really dont like at all is
the forest sequence, largely because the framerate drops and the longer view distance makes your torch less useful as there's fewer props to cast light on and guide you. It's also a bit ugly for most part and not particuarly tight in design. I like the interior chases more.

EatChildren said:
Interesting you guys found the map useful. I really hated it, and to be frank didnt need it anyway.
I found I would run in circles often if I didn't use it. If it wasn't necessary for you that's cool. I don't quite get how "hate" comes into the equation though. The map was actually quite decent. Something else worth mentioning about it is that you can quite literally draw yourself a line to the exit as well. You can draw small arrows on that line to make sure you know what direction to go in also. If you bring up the map right at the outset of the chase and zoom it in - you can plot your course to the exit and just quickly view the map on the phone without zooming out quickly.

If anything, the discussion really does illuminate how varying the impressions of the chase sequences can be if folks aren't aware of the tools available. For you, you didn't need them as you preferred to go by eye and memory. For me, I liked getting my bearings every so often. For others, they can map out their exit strategy and adjust from there. Either way, the frustrations some are having with the sequences can be reduced quite easily.

wrowa

Haunted said:
Well that's Pro Tip #5.

I haven't really read a manual for years.
I used to read them before they turned to be soulless pieces of shit. Things aren't what they used to be.
Or maybe I am just not 10 years old anymore

Fuck. This. Game.

I'm just speechless as to how badly people can fuck up a great concept. The exploration/adventure areas are phenomenal, but the nightmare sequences exemplify bad game design and throw in some of the worst implementation of waggle I have ever come across on the Wii; the shit just doesn't work. Try and pull a bookshelf down performing the exact motion onscreen? If I'm lucky, maybe it'll work 1 out of every 8 attempts or so. When the fuckers start piling on me? I perform the exact motions the game tells you to perform at the beginning of the game, and my luck is slightly better here; maybe 1 out of every 7 attempts actually results in a damn thing happening. The last time a bunch of them piled on me I threw the damn controller down because I knew I wasn't going to get them off me, and apparently the controller and nunchuk hitting the ground was better interpreted as the correct motion because my character miraculously threw two of the monsters off him when that happened. Don't even get me started on not being able to check your GPS on the run, or at all while holding a flare.

But the worst part of this game, the part that has me most upset is the beyond antiquated save system. The first time it bit me on the ass was when I had to leave the house during one of the in-game cinematics. I can't go to my phone to save, but I notice that the '1' button brings up a pause menu. There's a "quit to main menu" option and I test the water by just clicking it once to see what the confirmation prompt is. "Are you sure you want to quit to the main menu?" I figure that since it didn't mention anything about "progress since last save will be lost," surely this game has up to the minute autosaves. The first time that bit me on the ass I lost almost 2 hours of gameplay. Hell, the game even placed me 10 minutes before the actual save point just for spite. The next time the save system bit me on the ass was just now when while in the mall Harry just decided to stop moving his right arm. I couldn't open any doors, go to my phone, or do anything. I had to quit and reload only to find out my last save was apparently back at the nightclub. I'm pretty sure that I had saved since then, but it's not like there's any way for me to know one way or another.

I really don't know what to do with this game. If the game was just the psychology and regular adventure moments this game would be an A, but with the nightmare scenes and with a save system from the last millennium, this game is a fuck minus.

EatChildren

Valkyr Junkie said:
I'm just speechless as to how badly people can fuck up a great concept. The exploration/adventure areas are phenomenal, but the nightmare sequences exemplify bad game design and throw in some of the worst implementation of waggle I have ever come across on the Wii; the shit just doesn't work. Try and pull a bookshelf down performing the exact motion onscreen? If I'm lucky, maybe it'll work 1 out of every 8 attempts or so. When the fuckers start piling on me? I perform the exact motions the game tells you to perform at the beginning of the game, and my luck is slightly better here; maybe 1 out of every 7 attempts actually results in a damn thing happening. The last time a bunch of them piled on me I threw the damn controller down because I knew I wasn't going to get them off me, and apparently the controller and nunchuk hitting the ground was better interpreted as the correct motion because my character miraculously threw two of the monsters off him when that happened.

You're still doing it wrong or your controller is broken. I fail to see how I can successfully and very easily pull off every single motion control in the game 99% of the time while you fail without it being either error on your part or a technical error in the device itself.

What you're calling bad waggle is working near flawless for me. So what's the go?

But the worst part of this game, the part that has me most upset is the beyond antiquated save system. The first time it bit me on the ass was when I had to leave the house during one of the in-game cinematics. I can't go to my phone to save, but I notice that the '1' button brings up a pause menu. There's a "quit to main menu" option and I test the water by just clicking it once to see what the confirmation prompt is. "Are you sure you want to quit to the main menu?" I figure that since it didn't mention anything about "progress since last save will be lost," surely this game has up to the minute autosaves. The first time that bit me on the ass I lost almost 2 hours of gameplay.

Clearly not the worst point of the game and you're really making a mountain out of a mole hill. The saving is mostly fine. It would have been nice to save mid cinematic but like a vast majority of games on the market it doesn't allow you to. Any other moment of the game allows you to save.

Bug is a fair complaint as I've had the same one myself.

Teknoman

EatChildren said:
You're still doing it wrong or your controller is broken. I fail to see how I can successfully and very easily pull off every single motion control in the game 99% of the time while you fail without it being either error on your part or a technical error in the device itself.

What you're calling bad waggle is working near flawless for me. So what's the go?

Pretty much. On a side note I dont think i've ever accidently done the spin jump in New Mario Bros Wii either. Every motion worked 100% for me.

Miburou

Yeah, the waggle controls can be iffy, but I consider trying to shake off more than 2 enemies who are latched on to me a lost cause anyway. There's also the issue with the pointer being sometimes off-screen after getting rid of an enemy, which can be disorienting. It certainly is something that you can eventually deal with, but if a lot of people are having issues with something, then it's pretty silly to blame all of them.

Object manipulation in the puzzles could also be a pain from my experience. In fact, one object that you had to move around (a duck) fell on its side and nothing I did could bring it back upright. Thankfully I had saved just before that point. I read that some people had similar problems with the beer cans.

Regarding the save system, I don't understand why you can only have one save file (is that a Wii thing?), and why the game saves after completing it (which means now I can't check how many mementos I had in my last playthrough).

EatChildren

I've had three enemies latched on to me before and still managed to get them off relatively easily.

Motion controls are so iffy to bring up as a flaw as its hard to tell what room for error the developer has made, and its impossible to tell if we're all doing the same motion and getting it 'right'.

All I know is that while I've had a couple of instances of unresponsive controls, every other motion control in Shattered Memories has worked well. Shaking off monsters always works and I actually like that the game recognises the direction I'm moving in, and I've pretty much never failed to knock over a shelf/obsticle.

As for saving, why would you want more than one save? Its essentially impossible to lose, and the game is very linear. Multiple save spots are usually used when people are unsure of what is up ahead and want to make an extra save incase they screw it up. Nothing like that ever presents itself in SM.

Even then, you still get three different 'profile' slots so three seperate people can play the game without intruding on another's game.

I still haven't played it.

I've been a SH fan since Day 1 and I still haven't played it.

:(

I appreciate the impressions. It's made my decision to NOT reward Konami with their tragic indifference to this once brilliant series easy.
Hastings has a single copy to rent. I'll eyeball that one. Probably no one here knows how sad typing that makes me.

Miburou

I already said why I would want the ability to have more than save file. I really don't see what repeating myself would accomplish. (not to mention the game glitch that erases your save file like what happened to one guy in this thread). Seriously, you don't have to make an excuse for everything; you can admit to somethings sometimes.

I'm not sure if the rest of your post is directed at me. Both of us have said that the controls when shaking off enemies can be iffy, and I said they're still manageable, so I don't see any disagreement.

gabe90

TheJollyCorner said:
I still haven't played it.

I've been a SH fan since Day 1 and I still haven't played it.

:(

I appreciate the impressions. It's made my decision to NOT reward Konami with their tragic indifference to this once brilliant series easy.
Hastings has a single copy to rent. I'll eyeball that one. Probably no one here knows how sad typing that makes me.
I don't get this logic. Konami invested in this game, and if it succeeds they will review the criticism and make a stronger sequel. Not buying it is just asking them to stop investing in this already endangered series.

I haven't bought it yet either, btw, but not because I don't want to reward the publisher for making a non-perfect game.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Fuck. This. Game.

I'm just speechless as to how badly people can fuck up a great concept. The exploration/adventure areas are phenomenal, but the nightmare sequences exemplify bad game design and throw in some of the worst implementation of waggle I have ever come across on the Wii; the shit just doesn't work. Try and pull a bookshelf down performing the exact motion onscreen? If I'm lucky, maybe it'll work 1 out of every 8 attempts or so. When the fuckers start piling on me? I perform the exact motions the game tells you to perform at the beginning of the game, and my luck is slightly better here; maybe 1 out of every 7 attempts actually results in a damn thing happening. The last time a bunch of them piled on me I threw the damn controller down because I knew I wasn't going to get them off me, and apparently the controller and nunchuk hitting the ground was better interpreted as the correct motion because my character miraculously threw two of the monsters off him when that happened. Don't even get me started on not being able to check your GPS on the run, or at all while holding a flare.

But the worst part of this game, the part that has me most upset is the beyond antiquated save system. The first time it bit me on the ass was when I had to leave the house during one of the in-game cinematics. I can't go to my phone to save, but I notice that the '1' button brings up a pause menu. There's a "quit to main menu" option and I test the water by just clicking it once to see what the confirmation prompt is. "Are you sure you want to quit to the main menu?" I figure that since it didn't mention anything about "progress since last save will be lost," surely this game has up to the minute autosaves. The first time that bit me on the ass I lost almost 2 hours of gameplay. Hell, the game even placed me 10 minutes before the actual save point just for spite. The next time the save system bit me on the ass was just now when while in the mall Harry just decided to stop moving his right arm. I couldn't open any doors, go to my phone, or do anything. I had to quit and reload only to find out my last save was apparently back at the nightclub. I'm pretty sure that I had saved since then, but it's not like there's any way for me to know one way or another.

I really don't know what to do with this game. If the game was just the psychology and regular adventure moments this game would be an A, but with the nightmare scenes and with a save system from the last millennium, this game is a fuck minus.

289ycp.jpg

Teknoman

I really dont think not buying or playing the game is going to make Konami do any different. If anything, they'll still realize they have a decent series on their hands.

On a side note, Climax needs to use this engine to make more Wii original third person action/ adventure/ or shooting games.

Top Bottom