• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Ridley327

I'm not sure that entrusting the series with a group of guys who set out to completely revamp everything in the series and (mostly) did it counts as "indifference". Things would have been far worse for the future of the series if they churned out another paint-by-numbers title like Homecoming that would have ended up being quickly forgotten. The fact that there still isn't a clear consensus on Shattered Memories means that someone has done something right to earn this kind of debate.

Miburou

I agree. Konami has shown that it has little interest in developing a new SH game internally, and Climax has shown with Origins and SM that it's a talented developer that understands what SH is. A new SH game from them on the PS3/360/PC would be something I'd certainly look forward to.

Darkky

4 hours into the game, I have been through 2 chase sequences and 3 day explorations.

Thus far, my impressions are still positive. I believe that Konami wanted to produce a horror/thriller game that really injects psychologically and mentally intense emotions - and Shattered Memories did just that. The nightmares are annoying on some parts due to the incessant screaming, but the chases are tight and especially exciting to some extent. It may not have stayed through to the horror genre as much (there really aren't anything scary thus far), but I think it has served its purpose sufficiently well as a thriller and pseudo-adventure/mystery game.

These impressions may change with more time into the game, but before that, I enjoy the game much more than any typical boom-at-your-face horror game out there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheJollyCorner said:
I appreciate the impressions. It's made my decision to NOT reward Konami with their tragic indifference to this once brilliant series easy.
Hastings has a single copy to rent. I'll eyeball that one. Probably no one here knows how sad typing that makes me.

Protip to old Silent Hill fans; The franchise, as it were known, is dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Team Silent is dead. Get over it.

What Konami and Climax have done here is exactly the right attitude and far from indifference. I'm not necessarily talking about the actual game, but instead the attitude behind it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Speaking of controls, how are the controls supposed to work in the PSP/PS2 versions of the game? I can see a button mashing type of deal when shaking off monsters for example, or maybe some kind of QTE.

Ridley327

Kiriku said:
Speaking of controls, how are the controls supposed to work in the PSP/PS2 versions of the game? I can see a button mashing type of deal when shaking off monsters for example, or maybe some kind of QTE.

It seems like the chase scenes are going to be almost entirely QTEs in the PSP/PS2 version. There's a couple of shots where you can see Harry running from the Raw Shocks and the QTE prompt is still up on the screen.

UrbanRats said:
Harsh. True, but harsh.
Better to see it put to rest than have its zombie trotted out in yet another paint by numbers Silent Hill "me to" release that barely captures any of the brilliance of the early games in the series.

I like the direction Shattered Memories takes the series in. I wouldn't put at the level of the early titles but I like it. I like the fresh outlook on the series and with some nips and tucks, Climax could create an extremely good "original" game in this series using the mechanics established in this game. Either on the Wii or the PS3/360.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Futurevoid said:
I like the direction Shattered Memories takes the series in. I wouldn't put at the level of the early titles but I like it. I like the fresh outlook on the series and with some nips and tucks, Climax could create an extremely good "original" game in this series using the mechanics established in this game. Either on the Wii or the PS3/360.

And this is exactly what needs to be done.

Gamers have this tendency to forget that people are required to make games, and the greatest games are of such high quality because the people working on it are talented. If a dev team disappears all that's left are ideas and trademarks.

People constantly wishing for a Silent Hill similar to the old ones fail to realise the people making these games have nothing to do with Team Silent. They're new developers trying to emulate the style, creativity, and skill of old developers. It never works. Rare are another case example. People expect their franchises to be the same as they were. They wont be no matter how hard they try because so much of the dev force that is Rare now is completely different to Rare that was (see: N64 era).

It doesn't mean the new games in the franchise will be bad, but it means the best choice of development is to shake things up and make it different. What Konami and Climax have done with Shattered Memories is the exact frame of mind developers in similar positions need to have.

The more new developers on older franchises try to emulate the style and success of original entries the more obvious it is they cant. They're not the original developers. Even if they're just as skilled, they're not the same on a fundamental artistic and design level. The smallest of changes will be there and noticable to the old time fans.

Thus Silent Hill fans needs to shut up and realise Team Silent are long dead and Silent Hill as they know it is never coming back. Its over. The more modern Silent Hill games try to emulate the style of the originals the more obvious it is how shit they are. Change is good when style cant be met.

EatChildren said:
Protip to old Silent Hill fans; The franchise, as it were known, is dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Team Silent is dead. Get over it.

Which... is very disappointing and while I think the game is good overall, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being dismayed by the direction it took.

It's one thing to like the game and defend it, that's fine because it has several good qualities, but let's not start this again. We were fans of the series because of many things that Shattered Memories simply does not do, and there's not a thing wrong with being upset over the title. Just because some of you weren't there from the beginning doesn't mean it's okay to play the "well that's over with, gotta ACCEPT" card, because it's bullshit. If fans want to be upset with the game, that's just as valid as those of you who don't really care about what the series used to be.

I'm sorry, that's a fact, and you can't expect all the long-time fans of the series blindly accepting everything because Silent Hill is an extremely specific sort of series to a lot of people and it's foolhardy to just leave it at "well the old team is dead and the franchise is dead." That's exactly the problem that some of us have. If that's dumb or something to you, that's cool but keep it to yourself because veteran Silent Hill fans absolutely have every right to voice their opinions. I can't stand when people play the fan card. We're "fans" for good reason, and that's because the franchise has been noted for being artistically genius, deep, horrifying, creepy as hell, and having tons of interesting lore and pathos. Shattered Memories, in the eyes of some of us, simply does not deliver on those aspects. That's just how it is. Enjoy the game all you want, but as far as I'm concerned, as both a long-time Silent Hill player and someone who actually does like this game for what it is, it's perfectly reasonable for people who have been following the series from the beginning to be upset with this title.

So please, enough with the "your franchise is dead" stuff. We know. That's why we're upset. We don't need to be reminded.

Nekofrog

Banned
As stated, fan of Silent Hill since the first game. I'm ready to move on. It was a great ride while it lasted, but that ship sailed six or seven years ago.

You say you don't need to be "reminded" of it, but it seems like in every modern SH review the reviewer has to go on and on about how they were there from day 1, and that modern SH will never compare to SH of past (when there really shouldn't be ANY comparison to begin with, past games are past games. This is the now).

We (collectively, us old fans) need to stop harping on it first before others will.

EatChildren

I was in the middle of writing a huge reply but im not going to bother anymore. You completely missed my point again brandonh83 like you've already done numerous times in this thread, and got over defensive and offended by something that wasn't even aimed at you.

The fact you go on to defend criticisms of Shattered Memories when I didnt even bring that topic up shows you're on a completely different planet to me.

Whatever.

We also don't need you posting the same thing over and over again on every page. Just sayin'.

...which is exactly what all the non-detractors are doing, as well, every single time someone has an opposing opinion.

I was in the middle of writing a huge reply but im not going to bother anymore.

I'm done too. Enjoy your criticism-free circle-jerk.

scitek

brandonh83 said:
Which... is very disappointing and while I think the game is good overall, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being dismayed by the direction it took.

It's one thing to like the game and defend it, that's fine because it has several good qualities, but let's not start this again. We were fans of the series because of many things that Shattered Memories simply does not do, and there's not a thing wrong with being upset over the title. Just because some of you weren't there from the beginning doesn't mean it's okay to play the "well that's over with, gotta ACCEPT" card, because it's bullshit. If fans want to be upset with the game, that's just as valid as those of you who don't really care about what the series used to be.

I think you can complain for now, but there is a time that it will become pointless. It's like people that still whine about Resident Evil 4 and 5's direction. When 4 was brand new, it made sense to be upset about it because, had it not sold well, and had the fans been vocal enough, Capcom MAY have considered taking the franchise back to its roots citing the new direction as a failure, but when RE4, and especially 5, sold MILLIONS of copies, that all but cemented the fact that the old games will probably never return.

Now, with Shattered Memories, the new direction is still fresh, and it's not a runaway critical success like RE4 was, so there's still a chance that Konami will demand the old style to come back, especially if this game fails commercially compared to the old formula. I say do what you can while you can to get things back the way they were otherwise you might regret not doing so down the road.

Just don't annoy the fuck out of forum dwellers with that shit because we can't change anything. Take it to Climax. E-mail them and tell them how you feel. You think they get thousands of e-mails a day from people that play their games? I'm sure they'd love to read what a diehard SH fan thinks.

One more thing, just in my defense: all I was really trying to do was defend those who came here with negative impressions. I wasn't exactly trying to directly criticize the game, what I was doing was explaining why some of us consider it to be a letdown and that required, once again, breaking down why some of us were disappointed-- and they're all extremely valid points. Again, I thought it was a good game. I'm just sort of dismayed about how people come in here with a negative opinion and they get lectured as if they don't know what they're talking about, when we do, in fact, know exactly what we're talking about. Does anyone have to agree? No. We're not trying to change anyone's mind about the game. It's a pretty good game, in the end. Some of us just think it's a failure as a Silent Hill title; we won't be the first to complain about it and we won't be the last. All I'm asking is that people not trounce someone for not liking the game because it doesn't carry the same qualities as the older games did. It's a reasonable and justified opinion. I'm not in here to bash on the game because I liked it. I did, however, have a plethora of issues with it and people should be able to express said issues without the defense force who doesn't exactly see eye-to-eye with the "fans" making attempts to dismantle everything they have to say about the title simply because they've been playing them from the get-go, and the new game simply doesn't measure up with their typical expectations.

I apologize for beating the dead horse. I liked the game, I just had a ton of problems with it and that's okay. It's equally okay to not like the game because as a long-time player there are certain aspects that each SH game must meet in order for it to be a quality installment. Just don't pretend like people who have been following the series since inception aren't allowed to be upset about certain things.

brandonh83 said:
I'm sorry, that's a fact, and you can't expect all the long-time fans of the series blindly accepting everything because Silent Hill is an extremely specific sort of series to a lot of people and it's foolhardy to just leave it at "well the old team is dead and the franchise is dead."
I don't think that's whats being said though and you've misunderstood the intentions of what some have commented on. My personal intent was to say that as a long time and absolutely diehard fan of this series since the original - I've let go of the need to put Silent Hill into a "box of ideas" that each game needs to stringently fit into or else its just not Silent Hill. That's all. I'm open to new ideas and new directions for the series to go in that don't involve fog, rusty industrial otherworlds and the Order. That's all really. I'm ok with fundamental changes to the core of what the series is because - and it pains me to say this - the core Silent Hill experience has become predictable and somewhat boring in its own right. I can speak for no one else but myself on that front.

brandonh83 said:
you can't expect all the long-time fans of the series blindly accepting everything
What's amusing about that statement is that Silent Hill fans have been doing just that for years. At least the diehard fans. Guys like you and I that went out and got Origins and Homecoming which truly aren't bad games but they are, in every way, a paint by numbers Silent Hill experience. I say that as someone that likes Homecoming but I'm not deluding myself into thinking it can stand up to the core games that started this series.

You want to know the reason I came away liking Shattered Memories despite some of its flaws? Primarily because Climax didn't grovel at the feet of the diehard fans. They basically made the game *THEY* wanted to make. I'm sure they were aware of how much some of these changes would bother long time fans but they made every effort to tell gamers that this is not your fathers Silent Hill and I came away really appreciating the work they put into making a game that represented their idea of what a quality Silent Hill experience should be. It wasn't a 100% success but good for them regardless.

If you don't like this game (which frankly after pages and pages of conversation, I still don't know your clear stance on it) there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just to clarify, I'm not saying you should or have to.

Please read my last post. I believe I explained myself well enough. I'm not even talking about the game anymore so much as I'm talking about people jumping onto others for not liking it. There are reasons.

What's amusing about that statement is that Silent Hill fans have been doing just that for years.

Maybe some of them. Not I. I think the first three are ridiculously amazing. SH4 annoys the shit out of me but I still liked the story a lot. Origins doesn't do much for me and though there are a lot of things Homecoming does great IMO it still stumbles on a few levels which disappointed me but not enough for me to consider it some sort of failure or anything.

p.s. clear stance on Shattered Memories:

I like it. It's incredibly disappointing on some levels, but an okay game on its own. That should be clear enough.

I'm just sort of dismayed about how people come in here with a negative opinion and they get lectured as if they don't know what they're talking about, when we do, in fact, know exactly what we're talking about.
No different than folks being lectured about what Silent Hill should be, no? Welcome to a discussion forum. You take the good with the bad and vice versa...

brandonh83 said:
It's equally okay to not like the game because as a long-time player there are certain aspects that each SH game must meet in order for it to be a quality installment.
*pulls out his Silent Hill fan membership card*

*turns it around and looks on the back*

*notes checklist of aspects that *MUST* be met to be considered a quality Silent Hill game*

*puts card away in coat pocket and realizes what must be done*

*Burns down Climax UK Studios*

:lol

Come on, we needed a little levity in here.

:lol no that was good. And accurate.

No different than folks being lectured about what Silent Hill should be, no? Welcome to a discussion forum

It's not so much lecturing people what it should be, I just do it to explain my stance on the game. I'm not here to change minds or tell people they're wrong. It's just something a bit more difficult to explain; it's not black and white by any stretch. I sincerely apologize if I came off like that. It's just necessary in order to express the "why" of the matter. When I make a post I'm speaking for myself. When I list reasons why I love Silent Hill, that's why I love Silent Hill. I deeply enjoy talking about these games. So please don't think I'm pretending to be some kind of authority. I'm not. And on the same token, I would like to see other people like TheJollyCorner make a post without the usual "team silent is dead silent hill is dead just accept it and take what they give" because that's not helping matters nor is it paving the way for any sort of debate.

I wasn't so much specifically saying that you're lecturing. I get your stance but I can see how others would misconstrue it as such. No harm no foul.

Futurevoid said:
I wasn't so much specifically saying that you're lecturing. I get your stance but I can see how others would misconstrue it as such. No harm no foul.

Sure. I just assume that when people read my posts they're taking it as just another guy's opinion, which it is. I just have very strong beliefs about the franchise and I can't help but be upset when these things aren't brought to fruition in a new installment. Surely to god that's understandable.

But I'm not shidoshi, either. :lol

One more thing..

Futurevoid said:
And on the same token, I would like to see other people like TheJollyCorner make a post without the usual "team silent is dead silent hill is dead just accept it and take what they give"
Though it's more direct than some folks would like I think there is a salient point being made by what he's saying though. I think we do, as fans need to accept that Team Silent is no more. With Yamaoka leaving Konami, the last member of what was defined the original four Silent Hill games (and even those that followed) has departed. Thank about that - no more Akira Yamaoka. I can tell you that as a fan, nothing has defined Silent Hill for me more than Yamaoka's music! What we get from this series from here on out is going to be markedly different that we're accustomed to. That may not work for everyone and I think the point that people have been trying to make for for pages now is simply this:

So maybe Shattered Memories isn't a Silent Hill game by way of the the standards that we held the series to in the past - but why can't it be a new standard for the series moving forward? Something to build and grow on?

Ridley327

I wonder if Konami would be interested in contacting Masafumi Takada of Grasshopper Manufacture to work on future SH soundtracks; the Killer7 soundtrack is reminscent of Yamaoka's more ambient work in the series and I think it'd be a great fit. Not to mention it would give the world an excuse to release another top-shelf Takada soundtrack. :D

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Futurevoid said:
So maybe Shattered Memories isn't a Silent Hill game by way of the the standards that we held the series to in the past - but why can't it be a new standard for the series moving forward? Something to build and grow on?

But in that case, why not let the series rest in peace? Why keep the series going as something different? Trying to keep the SH series alive at this point and convince people it's still SH seems like more work than actually trying to create something new. And how much did Konami even care to market Shattered Memories? And if Konami don't care about making the series even moderately big again, why not just leave it alone and make something new from scratch? That way everyone would be happy.

Ridley327

Probably because that even a faded IP is worth more than a new one at this point in the generation. Konami certainly hasn't been one to take giant risks this gen, particularly because of how much they've invested in Kojima to carry them. Assuming you're of the "this shouldn't have been called SH!" crowd, you still need to understand that having the Silent Hill name on there means it's going to sell better than any Cursed Mountain could ever hope to.

Kiriku said:
But in that case, why not let the series rest in peace?
Why not build on the established name and keep it fresh? This is a sequel driven market where its easier to sell games that are of a known quality than gambling on a new IP. You make the mistake of assuming games are simply a creative endeavor where I'm sure you understand there is a business aspect to a game release as well.

Should Capcom have renamed Resident Evil 4 because it was a demonstrably different experience to previous RE titles? I'm sure there are plenty of gamers that say they should but considering the financial success of the title I don't see that happening anytime soon.;)

A couple of other questions you posed:

Kiriku said:
And how much did Konami even care to market Shattered Memories
How much did EA market Dead Space Extraction yet it bombed? The Wii is a difficult market and third parties are still trying to figure out the best way to crack that particular nut. Especially with a "hardcore" gamers title like Silent Hill. I've seen plenty of ads for the game in various gaming magazines. There are ads for the game right at the bottom of this forum in fact targeting the very gamers who would by it. I would imagine you mean television ads which are costly and I absolutely understand why Konami would forego them.

Kiriku said:
Trying to keep the SH series alive at this point and convince people it's still SH seems like more work than actually trying to create something new.
Really? I mean really? You think its easier in this market to create a new series, develop it and make that series viable to the game consuming public than building a game around an already established name like Silent Hill? If you honestly believe that, I don't know what to say.

Konami didn't need to convince anyone of anything with this game. They had the development team out there showing the game and telling people that it was a complete re-imagining of the first Silent Hill title. Done. No more explanation needed. You release the game and let folks decide if its a good experience or not. The sales will be what they are. Considering the failure of so many third party Wii games of this ilk, I'd question the platform chosen for the game over the decision to use the existing Silent Hill name over a new IP.

No seriously, despite my issues with Shattered Memories I think they got a lot right. I don't want the series to die, and I don't want it to stale at all. That's why I was excited for the game in the first place, because IMO with Origins they proved they could mimic, at least well enough, the traditional Silent Hill sense of morbid, unsettling atmospherics. I think the story they had was great. I think the characters were well done enough, though I thought Michelle's purpose in the story left more to be desired, as well as Lisa. I think they did a great job with the Wii functionality and the flashlight. And a lot of the game was very creative.

What I want to see happen is all of this aesthetic change, but would it be too much to ask that the next installment offer more of the dark and twisted horror? That's all I'm really saying here. I just wasn't satisfied in that area. I'm completely faithful that they can continue to enhance the series when it comes to the technical and gameplay side of things. That stuff was fine in Shattered Memories. But I do want to see a return to the more deliciously fucked up and cruel atmosphere with these new things and changes implemented all the same. I think they can do that. They did it with Origins, for the most part.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Futurevoid said:
Really? I mean really? You think its easier in this market to create a new series, develop it and make that series viable to the game consuming public than building a game around an already established name like Silent Hill? If you honestly believe that, I don't know what to say.

I'm just saying, there has to be a point where a series is selling so bad there's just too much work trying to reach a market that lost faith in the brand years ago. But maybe that point has yet to be reached and I'm underestimating the selling power of the SH brand. And I'm well aware of the risks when creating something new (and granted, this may not be the best times for such risks), but a new series would be like starting from scratch, without fans or a market making assumptions about what a game is or should be based on previous experiences. I'm just not sure the SH series would ever be able to reach decent numbers again, no matter how much they try to change it up. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic though.
In any case, I hope the sales numbers for the game becomes available (for all formats), would be interesting to see.

Ridley327

Even after SH3's retail disappointment in all territories, Konami still told the team to rename Room 302 (which, in turn, did worse than SH3, despite being on three platforms). They're either gluttons for punishment or they think the brand is worth enough to soldier on with it. I guess they figure since the film was an overall success for them, it's worth carrying on.

Miburou

SH3 wasn't a retail disappointment; it sold 1M on PS2 and PC (it was in Konami annual report). Might've been a bit lower than SH1 (which did well in the US) and SH2 (which did 1M copies, 350K of which were retailer preorders in Europe) but probably not by much.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's not the discussion that's irritating, it's the fact hat it's the same one. over and over again (across multiple threads).

Ridley327

Miburou said:
SH3 wasn't a retail disappointment; it sold 1M on PS2 and PC (it was in Konami annual report). Might've been a bit lower than SH1 (which did well in the US) and SH2 (which did 1M copies, 350K of which were retailer preorders in Europe) but probably not by much.

Weird; Konami has always made it sound like they weren't happy with the sales, which makes me wonder what they had expected for it.

Rez said:
it's not the discussion that's irritating, it's the fact hat it's the same one. over and over again (across multiple threads).
Us Silent Hill fans have a hard time letting go:lol . It speaks to the quality of the original games that hooked us all. Though trust me, it does get exhausting trying to explain the reasons why I think the changes made in Shattered Memories will be a good thing for the series in the long run.

Ridley327 said:
Weird; Konami has always made it sound like they weren't happy with the sales, which makes me wonder what they had expected for it.
Konami would have been smarter to give the series some breathing room after the release of Silent Hill 2 which was more successful than I think even Konami expected. There was a division internally at Team Silent during development of the third game and the direction they should go in with that game and "Room 302" from what I remember reading. I think if Konami wouldn't have been so bullish on getting a new game out there as quickly as possible, the series name wouldn't be as "faded" in gamers eyes. From a business perspective I understand the "strike while it's hot" mentality though.

Miburou

I think SH3 sold best in Europe. It came out there first, and Konami included something like a dozen unlockable shirts in the game with the logos of different Euro gaming magazines on each one.

I think SH4 is was what killed the series. It didn't start out as an SH game, which might indicate the team's desire to make something different, but then management ordered the game to be made part of the SH series (although that was relatively early in development; the game has several references to the other SH games).

Miburou

Futurevoid said:
U
Konami would have been smarter to give the series some breathing room after the release of Silent Hill 2 which was more successful than I think even Konami expected. There was a division internally at Team Silent during development of the third game and the direction they should go in with that game and "Room 302" from what I remember reading. I think if Konami wouldn't have been so bullish on getting a new game out there as quickly as possible, the series name wouldn't be as "faded" in gamers eyes. From a business perspective I understand the "strike while it's hot" mentality though.

Well, there were more or less 2 years between 2 and 3, which I think was adequate, but SH4 coming out about a year after 3, not feeling like an SH game, and having some serious issues (such as having to revisit every area and having a limited inventory system this requiring frequents trips back to the apartment) is what did the most damage to the series.

Haunted

All I can say is that from the last three officially released non-portable Silent Hills (4, Homecoming and this one), Shattered Memories blows the other two out of the water. Really, it's not even close.

Miburou said:
It didn't start out as an SH game
It started out as side project with a mixture of new ideas and old staples from the series proper a. Almost like an offshoot that Team Silent had been working on specifically because they wanted to explore a new direction. It began development shortly after Silent Hill 2 and alongside Silent Hill 3. The team was, from what I remember reading at the time quite split on how to move ahead because there were a good number of people on the team that did not want to revisit the original storyline.

Miburou said:
Well, there were more or less 2 years between 2 and 3, which I think was adequate, but SH4 coming out about a year after 3, not feeling like an SH game, and having some serious issues (such as having to revisit every area and having a limited inventory system this requiring frequents trips back to the apartment) is what did the most damage to the series.
I think the quality of the game had an effect on the overall legs it had sales wise but you and I know that this business is all about initial sales and Silent Hill 4 struggled in that regard before folks even had a chance to play it. I think the first point you made about the short turnaround time between 3 and 4 contributed to a feeling of exhaustion folks had with the series. The fact the The Room was so different was the icing on the proverbial cake.

Hence my original statement that Konami really should have paced the release schedule for the series (and specifically the fourth game) farther out and possibly allowed the team to release "The Room" as the offshoot they wanted to do from the start (going back to your point). Give the team time to work on something that doesn't say "Silent Hill" on it.

rataplein

Miburou said:

I don't see those as "issues". I see them as gameplay mechanics.

At first, visiting your apartment is cool. You know that JUST IN THAT PLACE, you can't be hurt. You wander around there... scared about what awaits you after the hole.
Suddenly, you are attacked in your room, so you DON'T wanna go there. Even if you need some item, or save the game... the room is no longer a safe place. wich changes everything the game makes you assume. (and a lot other games do, the safe "save place").

I think is brilliant.

EatChildren

Ridley327 said:
I wonder if Konami would be interested in contacting Masafumi Takada of Grasshopper Manufacture to work on future SH soundtracks; the Killer7 soundtrack is reminscent of Yamaoka's more ambient work in the series and I think it'd be a great fit. Not to mention it would give the world an excuse to release another top-shelf Takada soundtrack. :D

This this this. Grasshopper/Suda are pretty much the A team of who I'd put behind any franchise that needs a kick in the pants, from gameplay and art to sound and story.

Miburou

EatChildren said:
This this this. Grasshopper/Suda are pretty much the A team of who I'd put behind any franchise that needs a kick in the pants, from gameplay and art to sound and story.

I think I'm beginning to understand brandon, shidoshi and jolly corner's dismay now. :(

EatChildren

Miburou said:
I think I'm beginning to understand brandon, shidoshi and jolly corner's dismay now. :(

Old men still fighting wars long over. The future is now!

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Ridley327 said:
Even after SH3's retail disappointment in all territories, Konami still told the team to rename Room 302 (which, in turn, did worse than SH3, despite being on three platforms). They're either gluttons for punishment or they think the brand is worth enough to soldier on with it. I guess they figure since the film was an overall success for them, it's worth carrying on.
it was only on 2 platforms the x box and PS2.
I have not seen anything on the PS2 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories only on the wii one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just beat the game.

What an interesting game. I like it. A lot.

It has flaws, but... It's a solid game.

EatChildren

brandonh83 said:
If that is your idea of the future, EC, I will have no part of it!

Ironically, I like a lot of the ideas in Shattered Memories but still think Climax need to do much more to revive "Silent Hill", and still need to draw more from the original games. Even I...dare say...*gulp*...Shattered Memories is not Silent Hill enough.

There's a Shyamalan plot twist for you. I think I need a cold shower.

Top Bottom