• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

shidoshi said:
The world really has gone nuts.
cry.jpg

Nekofrog

Banned
shidoshi said:
I'm way behind on reading this thread, but from the bits and pieces that I've read, I'm really shocked at how many people are loving this game. I mean, I just don't get it. Even putting aside the argument about if this game is "Silent Hill" or not, is it really that great of a game? Obnoxious chase sequences, and when outside of those dumbed-down exploration and not really a lot going on beyond that. I'm also very, very surprised by how many people are loving the story.

Shattered Memories was, to me, like the Home of Tomorrow at Disneyland. Interesting to walk through and see all of the different things put in place for you to look at, but not really much of an amusement ride beyond that. Comparisons now to Silent Hill 2, or even say it's better? The world really has gone nuts.

As a hardcore Silent Hill fan, I guess I'm of the opinion that we hardcore fans have just lost our way in holding so tight to the fact that "it-has-to-be-this-or-it's-not-silent-hill" mentality, when no 2 fans can even agree on what makes SH a SH game.

It's just time to change.

scitek

shidoshi said:
I'm way behind on reading this thread, but from the bits and pieces that I've read, I'm really shocked at how many people are loving this game. I mean, I just don't get it. Even putting aside the argument about if this game is "Silent Hill" or not, is it really that great of a game? Obnoxious chase sequences, and when outside of those dumbed-down exploration and not really a lot going on beyond that. I'm also very, very surprised by how many people are loving the story.

Shattered Memories was, to me, like the Home of Tomorrow at Disneyland. Interesting to walk through and see all of the different things put in place for you to look at, but not really much of an amusement ride beyond that. Comparisons now to Silent Hill 2, or even say it's better? The world really has gone nuts.

Everyone's wrong. You're right. The End.

Miburou

shidoshi said:

What cracks me up is that despite this thread being very positive (especially compared to the average review scores) we still got a couple of guys whining about this thread. Just unbelievable.

shidoshi said:

Game quality aside, this is one of the more surprisingly arrogant things I've read here.

From sixteen year olds with chips on their shoulders, I'd expect this. But it's pretty alarming coming from shidoshi.

shidoshi said:

You can't be *that* surprised. The game has nine 80+ reviews on Metacritic including a 9 from Eurogamer and a 9.5 from Destructoid. Clearly there's a fair few people who are feeling the love.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
shidoshi said:

Because despite it's flaws Shattered Memories remains a highly interesting, absorbing, and emotive game, regardless of how you feel about it.

Sure, it's loaded with flaws. Chases are so luck dependant that they're either horrendous or boring, rarely good. The game does very little to relate itself to past entries in the franchise. Hell, it's possible to even call it an 'interactive story' and not a game at all, considering 99% of the game is extremely streamlined, linear, and pretty basic. And, of course, it's really not scary for most people.

But even as a fan of the franchise I loved it, because I dont write a list that I expect a game to accomplish or to adhere to. I might have expectations, and I might be let down in some regard, but I still look at the final product as a whole and quickly adapt to whatever mechanic the game is trying to revolve around.

With Shattered Memories its that of an interactive story. Was it what I expected? No, but I loved what I got. Were the chases crap? Yes, but they were few and far between and, for me, not so bad that I walked away pissed off (especially the latter chases which were more tripped out). Was it perfect? Far from it.

But ultimately it was a game that was very interesting, full of twists, engaging in interaction, and kept me playing until the end (and 3 times more). Many of the things you disliked I loved. I LOVED that the game used interactive pointer controls to solve 'puzzles'. Puzzles that for most part are not puzzles at all, but I still feel more involved and interested when extra depth is added.

It's all opinion related, of course, but the more I can fiddle and tweak a game the more involved I feel. Pressing buttons to accomplish the same thing, or worst yet swivvle the control stick or some bullshit just reminds me I'm playing a game. Pulling the chain key out of a slide lock might seem silly to you, but I enjoy it because I'm not just pressing A, even if with the extra depth nothing puzzle wise is accomplished.

And the story was good because it does everything I want to see in Silent Hill; a game that is huge on mystery until the end, and then asks you question everything you've accomplished. A story and game loaded with symbolism and abstract representations of motives and character. And, overall, it's told really quite well.

That's not to say you're opinions are wrong. People are entitled to hate the game for all I care. I can even see why they might, especially the chase scenes and the streamlined nature of the game. But as a fresh, engaging, and story focused experience it's really rather good.

Ultimately, people are loving it because there's a lot to love, even if you cant find anything. For some of us the interaction is the kind of stuff we've wanted on the Wii since Day 1.

pakkit

Banned
I dunno guys, the chases were fun for me.

I'll agree with the interactive story element. Some of the main complaints, such as the puzzles being to easy or the gameplay and exploration elements being relatively shallow, make sense within the adventure game genre. Grim Fandango, another game with a story I adored, would sometimes halt its own amazing narrative by throwing in a really out there or convoluted puzzle. So, while some might see this as a step backwards in gameplay, I see it as a step forward in story-telling and immersion, especially with its profiling elements. The motion controls are excellent in this game, I never had a problem throwing some monsters as others did. And the
wheelchair and swimming sequences
also added to the immersion. This game almost requires headphones, the audio is excellent. Heck, sometimes I was nervous to even walk because each footstep sounded so loud. Also, during the chases, you're able to "hear" the enemies before you see them, as the distortion grows when they're nearer or when you've turned your flashlight towards them. Even though it's purpose is just for drama, the look behind option is pretty terrifying and I used it pretty regularly during the chase sequences. I only "died" once in the game, and the sense of being lost and chased by this scary screaming ragdolls was pretty rattling.

I see this game standing toe-to-toe with other ambitious projects like Heavy Rain. This generation hasn't brought much thrills to the horror genre, but games like SH:SM, Condemned, Dead Space, and even the flawed Alone in the Dark have made a big push to drive the genre trends into unique and interesting directions.

It's weird how much I'm enjoying the normal-world parts where there's no action and no danger. I just love the feeling of walking through the town and looking around (effortlessly with the great Wiimote controls). I love the feeling of isolation, places with forgotten stories. Then again, I'm big on urban exploration... I think if someone made a game where all you do is walk around an abandoned town or asylum or university or whatever, like Afrika with dilapidated buildings instead of nature, it would be my GOTY. :lol

The chases have become less painful... once I realized during the frustrating second nightmare that you can't go from A to B, you always have to take the long way around, I kind of settled down and the chases flowed better, spent less time fretting about where I'm going and more time running my ass off and kind of feeling my way around. I also didn't figure out how to throw down obstacles until nightmare 3, that helps immensely.

Ridley327

Well, to be fair, you haven't made a single post in here that's even half as astonishing as that one. Give yourself a pat on the back. :lol :lol :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Just got this for Christmas.

The normal world parts are great. I really love exploring the town and the world. I haven't played a Silent Hill game before, but I definitely am into the story. It's all very unsettling (but not scary). Finding little touches about the story through the memories and taking pictures with the phone is all great and besides some small turning control issues that I have, it all works extremely well. Even though I know no monsters will pop-out, I'm still more spooked in these parts than in the otherworld scenes.

Chases? Not so much. From reading some things from people in this thread, I agree with them that they are much more frustrating than remotely scary. The waggle mechanic is terrible to throw enemies off and I never know if I'm doing the motions correctly. So much potential is there and I feel it wasted.

And the psych stuff is interesting, but I'm not sure if it serves a purpose. So far, I've only seen aesthetic changes, such as the police officer's uniform, the colors of the house, and how much I drink. Nothing else really.

I'm taking a break now because I'm about to start another chase scene
in the hospital
. How much longer do I have left?

Going to pick this one up as I just got a wii and am a huge silent hill fan. I do have one question though, for those that have played both Homecoming and Shattered Memories, which do you prefer and why? I was a big fan of homecoming, so I'm hoping for another decent silent hill romp.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I got a Wii for Christmas and plan on picking this up.

Is this game worth full price, in terms of replay value? Is there reasons to play through the game over after beating it once, which I would assume would be < 10 hours playthrough?

Or am I best just renting this GameFly and enjoying it for the experience then returning?

My initial thoughts on the story overall at first were that it was the best in the silent hill series...but after more thought and another playthrough, its pretty much cemented. This has been the most engaging story by far for me in silent hill, with silent hill 1 and 3 coming in close second. Its an incredibly designed piece for me right down to the twisting end, and on both surface and subsurface levels.

ivysaur12

Banned
I take back what I said before about the waggle. I didn't know you needed to throw the guys off in the direction that they grab onto you. Chase scenes have become a lot better knowing that.

mollipen

ShockingAlberto said:
Game quality aside, this is one of the more surprisingly arrogant things I've read here.

From sixteen year olds with chips on their shoulders, I'd expect this. But it's pretty alarming coming from shidoshi.

It's arrogant to say that I'm surprised at how many people are enjoying this game? (Not in an "OMG you morons" kind of a way but an "I'm honestly surprised" kind of way.) I'm afraid I don't at all understand what in the world you're talking about.

The only real part that you can really call "arrogant" is where I find it kind of crazy that people are in any way saying that this game is on the same level as Silent Hill 2, which... you know, I do find kind of crazy.

Although it was a really good game, I've never understood the extreme love for SH2. I personally enjoyed the first Silent Hill more than the second, and SH3 completely crushes SH2 from a gameplay standpoint imo, and the re playability is unmatched in the series due to its additions(as it should, being a sequel). I also enjoyed the narrative much more in SH3 compared to the second as well, along with the locations. Are you saying the story in SH2 is better(which I could understand), or the whole game is the best is the series, gameplay and all?

Also, I'm not really sure how you are being arrogant. Perhaps it was just a poor wording choice.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
shidoshi said:
It's arrogant to say that I'm surprised at how many people are enjoying this game? (Not in an "OMG you morons" kind of a way but an "I'm honestly surprised" kind of way.) I'm afraid I don't at all understand what in the world you're talking about.

The only real part that you can really call "arrogant" is where I find it kind of crazy that people are in any way saying that this game is on the same level as Silent Hill 2, which... you know, I do find kind of crazy.

I agree with you 100% shidoshi. I came into this thread when I was playing the game expecting to see a bunch more people as disappointed as I was and we would share our negative feelings about it and console each other. What I found were a entire thread of posts talking about how this is the best game they have played in the series and even had the best story.
I am still shocked that so many people like what this game offers. Very shocked.

But I don't control what other people like.

My thoughts on the game are that it's a boring game regardless of the theme. The only thing I enjoyed was the ending. But that's just me.

Teknoman

shidoshi said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure?

Miburou

Truelize said:
I agree with you 100% shidoshi. I came into this thread when I was playing the game expecting to see a bunch more people as disappointed as I was and we would share our negative feelings about it and console each other. What I found were a entire thread of posts talking about how this is the best game they have played in the series and even had the best story.
I am still shocked that so many people like what this game offers. Very shocked.

But I don't control what other people like.

My thoughts on the game are that it's a boring game regardless of the theme. The only thing I enjoyed was the ending. But that's just me.

After I finished the game, I came into this thread and I did find people saying it was disappointing and "not a SH game", etc. and in fact I was defending it, saying it's better than expected and a good, if a bit barebones, game. I even game brandon some grief (although more for repeating his opinion over and over, and not over the opinions themselves).

But then the tides turned and suddenly every post here was a praise, some guy seemed to find everything in the game enjoyable and OMGish (including the limited exploration and the clunky puzzle controls), tolerance for negative comments diminished, discussing aspect of the game was deemed "bad", and to top it all off some guy called for the thread to be locked and a new one made because this one was not 100% positive. :lol

Crazy thread, with a twist at the end worthy of the game it's discussing. :p

kinggroin

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I take back what I said before about the waggle. I didn't know you needed to throw the guys off in the direction that they grab onto you. Chase scenes have become a lot better knowing that.

I can't begin to say how many times this happens with gamers and wii games :lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So I'm only somewhere in the school and I sadly dislike the chase sequences. I do however love the feeling of being back in the regular world, but not because I was afraid of the monsters. I think the map being located to the phone, and not being able to reliably check it and get out fast during the chase is the most idiotic thing about the game so far.

Another issue I have with the game is that only sometimes does he make a comment on items. I have a file that I play with my gf and a File that I play alone, and I'll be sitting there for a good minute trying to get him to say things he's said in my file to her. I'm sure there is a trick to it, but it shouldn't be so inaccurate.

The scary parts haven't really been spooky, and I am hoping things pick up from here. I don't want to agree with brandomh83 by the end of the game climax, cmon do something special :(

ivysaur12

Banned
ASDFALJSDFLAJSDFLJASDFLJADSF

Right before I was about to finish, I decided to check out the Silent Hill Wiki to see what the story of the original Silent Hill was like, just for kicks. I then clicked on Dr. Kaufmann's page to see if he was in the first game. Before any spoiler warnings, here is the description that was given at the very top:

Dr. Michael Kaufmann is a character from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. A psychoanalyst, he engages Cheryl Heather Mason in a psychiatric evaluation in an attempt to help her overcome the death of her father 18 years prior.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU PUT THAT AT THE VERY TOP OF THE PAGE. Completely ruined the big twist at the end for me. I'm so pissed off right now. Sure, probably shouldn't have been looking that stuff up, but usually they give a spoiler warning.

scitek

ivysaur12 said:

Right before I was about to finish, I decided to check out the Silent Hill Wiki to see what the story of the original Silent Hill was like, just for kicks. I then clicked on Dr. Kaufmann's page to see if he was in the first game. Before any spoiler warnings, here is the description that was given at the very top:

Dr. Michael Kaufmann is a character from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. A psychoanalyst, he engages Cheryl Heather Mason in a psychiatric evaluation in an attempt to help her overcome the death of her father 18 years prior.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU PUT THAT AT THE VERY TOP OF THE PAGE. Completely ruined the big twist at the end for me. I'm so pissed off right now. Sure, probably shouldn't have been looking that stuff up, but usually they give a spoiler warning.

Wow dude, that's some serious bullshit.

You pretending that you were looking up the history of the 1st game, I mean. We all know you were really looking for fanporn of those two together.

Got a Best Buy gift card, I'm buying this when I can.

As far as the game goes, all you guys have to decide is wether the game is entertaining or not. It doesn't matter if the gameplay aspects are this or that, but if the game is entertaining, then that's all we have to care for. I think this should be the concept of videogames.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ivysaur12 said:

Oh wow, that sucks bigtime. Sorry to hear that. Guess that's what happens when you go looking for a wiki though. You probably should have waited in hindsight...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... So is this game a good value for $50? Do you unlock bullshit for further play throughs once you've beaten the game like previous SH games?

G.O.O.

Okay, so I'm playing the game and I decided not to read this thread to be as little influenced as possible.

So at first I was "well, OK, it's not as scary as SH2 (the only other SH I played, and only began), for sure. I'll keep going."

I keep going. The psychological profile is sometimes laughable (oh look the house is coloured like you coloured it) sometimes more clever. I'm starting to dig the story, but I hate the nightmare sequences.

But now... well, the game starts to rape my brain and take too much pleasure with it. I just finished
the nightmare after you meet your wife, with the fucked up rooms, the fallings etc
and now I'm confused. I'm trying to spot what is created by my choices but I constantly fail at it, and I'm wondering if the game outsmarted me or if he's just changing this and this without any major impact on my playthrough.

Also loneliness is far more heavy now than at the beginning of the game. I feel more often threatened in the normal world now than before, even if I know I shouldn't.

I could appreciate an experience I could relate to, like, right now.

(or maybe I should have waited a while after watching In the mouth of madness to take the wiimote back...)

Miburou

Adam Prime said:
... So is this game a good value for $50? Do you unlock bullshit for further play throughs once you've beaten the game like previous SH games?

Nope, nothing gets unlocked at all, as far as I can tell. Pretty disappointing that you can't even turn the grain filter off. In fact, I don't understand why the game asks you to save after finishing it.

As for the game being a good value, well it's short and there are no extras or unlockables, but on the other hand you can replay it for slightly different experiences (different dialog in places, different clothes for characters, and attitudes in some cases, different or different versions of puzzles and of course different endings).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
meh I think I'm going to wait for a price hit on this game then. I consider myself a pretty big SH fan (played Origins through Homecoming) but I have enough games on my plate to go through that I can wait until this comes down to $30 or so..

ivysaur12 said:

Damn

Also(spoilers)
WTF at the ufo ending? And whats up with the triforce in the background? Jesus...that was one of the oddest things in history
:lol

kinggroin

Banned
abstract alien said:
I hope it is indeed a sign of good things

Probably not. In fact, I expect this to have bombed even harder than homecoming and origins (ps2). Maybe even the end of the series for some time.

Shame too. This was the best SH I experienced since the third one.

kinggroin said:
Probably not. In fact, I expect this to have bombed even harder than homecoming and origins (ps2). Maybe even the end of the series for some time.

Shame too. This was the best SH I experienced since the third one.
I hate to be negative, but you are probably right. Hopefully we are wrong though. On a side note, this game has made me want to press through Homecoming for some reason, so I looked up the prices on amazon. There is a ps3 version of the game that is $76 :lol

kinggroin

Banned
abstract alien said:
I hate to be negative, but you are probably right. Hopefully we are wrong through. On a side note, this game has made me want to press though Homecoming for some reason, so I looked up the prices on amazon. There is a ps3 version of the game that is $76 :lol

Heh. I actually got homecoming for ps3 this Christmas. Soon as I get back home, I'll plow through that one next. Was only like $36.

Miburou

Every SH game has had a UFO ending. It's a tradition. Homecoming fucked it up by having the UFO ending accessible on your first play through.

I've done my part. I bought SM despite not owning a Wii (just like I bought Homecoming despite finishing it on a friend's copy).

Miburou said:
Every SH game has had a UFO ending. It's a tradition. Homecoming fucked it up by having the UFO ending accessible on your first play through.

I've done my part. I bought SM despite not owning a Wii (just like I bought Homecoming despite finishing it on a friend's copy).
Yeah, they have all had one, but this one is by far the most odd
and funny
one to date.

Ok, kind of off topic but I figured one of you guys would know. I'm playing Silent Hill 2 and I'm currently in
the labyrinth in the prison, I just saved the crazy lady from the square-looking dude
. About how far into the game am I?

Metiphis

Someone had better get a broom and sweep up those shattered memories before someone with bare feet steps on them!

... I don't have a wii.

*backs out of the thread slowly*

RedAssedApe

Banned
PolarBearsClub said:
Ok, kind of off topic but I figured one of you guys would know. I'm playing Silent Hill 2 and I'm currently in
the labyrinth in the prison, I just saved the crazy lady from the square-looking dude
. About how far into the game am I?

IIRC you've probably about 2/3 -3/4 of the way through the game.

henhowc said:
IIRC you've probably about 2/3 -3/4 of the way through the game.

Cool, thanks. At first I could only play for an hour at a time before getting creeped out, but I've been playing all day today and it's really getting awesome.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Metiphis said:
Someone had better get a broom and sweep up those shattered memories before someone with bare feet steps on them!

... I don't have a wii.

*backs out of the thread slowly*
9gfqqd.jpg

kinosama

Neo Member
Started playing this today, and against all odds I must say I'm really enjoying Shattered Memories.

Does anyone else find the text messages hard to read on the phone's display? It's too tiny, with no way to zoom in for some reason. Playing on a Samsung CRT SDTV.

frogg609

So my game locked up when I went to the gallery section on my phone. I went to the Wii menu, went back in, and now my game save is gone.

I was almost to the end of the game.

Anyone, is there a way to get it back? I am about to flip out right now.

Top Bottom