• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

snap0212

Ridley327 said:
FWIW, the PSP version is seemingly on track for release for next week, though that could change in a heartbeat. The PS2 version appears to be MIA, for right now.
Awesome. Will get the PSP version! :)

jrricky

Banned
So...I gotta say guys, I rented this from Gamefly and...... ITS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! Too bad the chase sequences scare the shit out of me so I had to stop when I new the second one was coming up,
after the freaky spirit girl ran at me when I was trying to get a picture of her and changed the whole goddamn cabin into ice
. ;_;

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ridley327 said:
FWIW, the PSP version is seemingly on track for release for next week, though that could change in a heartbeat. The PS2 version appears to be MIA, for right now.

Goddamn, I want the PS2 version :(

i read the wiki plot summary and saw a couple of let's play youtube videos(i can't play horror games, or i get nighmares). and dare i say, it's a plot twist worthy of m night shyamalan!

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Twilight Princess said:
i read the wiki plot summary and saw a couple of let's play youtube videos(i can't play horror games, or i get nighmares). and dare i say, it's a plot twist worthy of m night shyamalan!

I had to do this as well. I love a good freaky twist, and after hearing about it (especially during the GiantBomb GoTY discussion where they have to take a break during to spoil it for each other), I was seriously contemplating buying a Wii just to experience this one moment.

I'm glad I didn't go all crazy and do that, but that's some seriously good storytelling just seeing it from a distance.

Teknoman

Wow...against my better judgement, I went back to see if
Lisa was ok...then bam Cybil shows up and thinks I murdered her
. I dunno if this would've happened if I would have just kept going to
Simmons Street, or just went through the Mall Warehouse after getting a text from Michelle instead of doubling back to check out the standard entrance

Nightmare scenes are getting more and more unpredictable by the minute.

Also if you can, play the Wii version, its really well done.

Just finished. The way this story is crafted is amazing. The first half of the game had me intrigued, but the second half is where I was glued to the screen.

More people need to experience this game. It's easily the best third party Wii game I've played.

EDIT: Oh and I got the "Good Ending". I probably would have been disappointed with the others.

Teknoman said:
Simmons Street, or just went through the Mall Warehouse after getting a text from Michelle instead of doubling back to check out the standard entrance
That was my favorite part of the game right there.

Teknoman said:

Nightmare scenes are getting more and more unpredictable by the minute.

Also if you can, play the Wii version, its really well done.

You need to go through the mall to get to Simmons Street, and the mall is locked until after Lisa dies and the Otherworld appears.

Volcynika said:
Not that one! The one where Dahlia abuses Harry and insults him.
:p
Wuss.

I got that one the first time, too. Some FAQ I read later said that that might have been heavily influenced when I tried to screw with Dr. Kaufmann by saying that none of the inkblots were sexual.

Kevtones

Okay. The second playthrough is great. I only just got to the
woods
but things have been super different. 4/5 Phone messages have been completely different, ALL of the stores have changed and the puzzles have been ALL NEW (zippers!). Add to that the game has a great repeat-viewing/playing mechanic that really changes the tone of the scenes and yeah. I'm just about to call this game MASTERFUL. Seriously.

Also, it looks fantastic on Wii.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So when you start a new second game on the same profile as you did when you first beat the game - does the game deliberately change the game for you so to make sure that you won't have the same things happen as your first game?

Also I was kinda disappointed with the phone calls and picture taking. I never had anything creepy or disturbing with the phone calls or pictures. Maybe that was just in my playthrough - but has anyone had any weird/disturbing/scary phone calls or photos?

Also, it looks fantastic on the Wii

Yeah - it looks and plays fantastic when it's running at a solid 30 FPS. But there are way too many times in the game where it stutters bad and it makes me wish that the Wii was powerful enough to lock this game into 60 FPS or something - because I think that if this game just played "smoother" it could've been even better. I think the "atmosphere" of the game was just ruined for me too many times by the stuttering frame rate, ugh. Overall the game looks too ambitious for the Wii, I thought. Like my Wii was trying soooo hard to keep the game smooth and make it look nice, but just couldn't. :(

Amalthea

Banned
Does anyone know when this is going to be released in Europe?
Some retailers say it's going to be released on 2/3/2010 others are writing 3/2/2010.
I can't wait for this game and it's pissing me off if we won't get it until march!

Combichristoffersen

Tyrant_Onion said:
Does anyone know when this is going to be released in Europe?
Some retailers say it's going to be released on 2/3/2010 others are writing 3/2/2010.
I can't wait for this game and it's pissing me off if we won't get it until march!

2/3/2010 and 3/2/2010 are the same date, just using the different date sequences (US vs Europe respectively). The date should be february 3rd.

Adam Prime said:
Yeah - it looks and plays fantastic when it's running at a solid 30 FPS. But there are way too many times in the game where it stutters bad and it makes me wish that the Wii was powerful enough to lock this game into 60 FPS or something - because I think that if this game just played "smoother" it could've been even better. I think the "atmosphere" of the game was just ruined for me too many times by the stuttering frame rate, ugh. Overall the game looks too ambitious for the Wii, I thought. Like my Wii was trying soooo hard to keep the game smooth and make it look nice, but just couldn't. :(
To be honest, I think this was mainly due to the developers(not that they did a bad job or the game isn't nice looking).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Honestly, I did notice some FPS problems during my playthrough, but it wasn't anything serious. It's a slow-paced game, for the most part, so nothing ever looked like it was jittering to complete scenes.

Then again, maybe 2 years for playing Crysis at 30FPS has ruined my eyes. I can no longer notice the beauty of fluidity!

Amalthea

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
2/3/2010 and 3/2/2010 are the same date, just using the different date sequences (US vs Europe respectively). The date should be february 3rd.

Why should European retailers use the US date system?

Teknoman

I've only seen one FPS drop so far, and that was at the
part where you have to lower the bridge
. At that section it seemed to go down to around 30 but for the most part the game seemed to run at near 60.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We definitely noticed the frame rate dipping in places, but it's never really screwed us up. In fact, after the first couple of 'Otherworld/Nightmare' scenes, you lost all sense of fear.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
yeah during chase scenes , door opening (during chase scenes), really a lot of the outdoor snow environments, and the
bridge lowering
the game really sputtered.

I think the low framerate during the chase scenes made them a lot less fun for me. Espeically when you had more than a couple of monsters on the screen at a time chasing, that really made it bog down. Yeah - that kind of killed the suspense for me.

.... also overall everyone else not feel like this game was "scary". There were no jump moments for me at all. I know its different for everyone, but I think the lack of combat made this game less scary for me because I was never really afraid of dying. Something that I think made the other SH scary was the management of "OMG I could die and I don't have any health drinks left and I haven't saved in a while!" style of gameplay.

Overally I definitely prefer Shattered Memories gameplay over the previous SH games, but this was just more of a mouse click exploration type of a game - and a result a lot less stressful. But still suspenseful and cool. It's tough for me to rank this game in comparsion to the others. So much I like more about it - but it definitely wasn't as scary because of it, I thought.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Played the first hour of this game today, and it was fantastic. I only quit because some friends came over and wanted to play Resort. Can't wait to get back in. They really nailed the presentation aspect of the game.

snap0212

I hope the PSP version will be good. Are there any review out yet? Seems to be a bad sign that GameSpot, IGN, 1up, etc. don't have any reviews up... :(

Combichristoffersen

Tyrant_Onion said:
Why should European retailers use the US date system?

Because some retailers are dumbfucks? :p Seriously though, I have no idea, but I've seen European retailers occasionally using the
ridiculous
US date system on their websites.

Volcynika

I also hit one annoying bug that made me reload a bit of travel (nothing super major, but still annoying).

I was in
the mall
and hit a memory / message flash zone. I listened to the message then exited. I noticed my flashlight wasn't following my Wii-mote pointer and I even reconnected the thing to see what was wrong. Then I saw a faint sillhouette of myself holding the phone up still, even though I could see the full model of myself walking around, flashlight pointed forward. And because it got stuck like that, I couldn't get into a menu, exit the room, examine any objects. Nothing worked. So I had to restart from my last save. D:

I found Shattered Memories to be a lot less scary than past Silent Hill games and other horror games. However, the unsettling and somewhat disturbing feeling the game created along with the great ending and overall story ended up being a whole lot more impressive to me than any of the usual scares found in horror games.

Dizzy-4U

So, I finished the game a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. The game had a greater impact on me than I originally thought.

About the ending:

So let me see if i get it. Everything is a part of Cheryl's mind. Her dad died when she was a kid and she goes to a psychiatrist to see if she can move on with her life.

The nightmares are the part of Cheryl not wanting to let go her made up memory of her father (that's why Harry never "dies").

The ghosts you take pictures are actually all real memories of her when she was alone after Harry's death (all the ghosts that I found were all girls, but not sure if this is what it implies). The swing, school, etc...

I'm still thinking if the frozen child at the hospital and the one at the bubblegum machine are also Cheryl's past. "Happy" memories of her. Despite being in the hospital, her father gave her chocolates and the same with the bubblegum in the shopping. She seemed happy and those memories were "frozen" in her memory.

But I don't know. That's my initial thought and it'll probably change in my second playthrough.

Volcynika said:
I also hit one annoying bug that made me reload a bit of travel (nothing super major, but still annoying).

I was in
the mall
and hit a memory / message flash zone. I listened to the message then exited. I noticed my flashlight wasn't following my Wii-mote pointer and I even reconnected the thing to see what was wrong. Then I saw a faint sillhouette of myself holding the phone up still, even though I could see the full model of myself walking around, flashlight pointed forward. And because it got stuck like that, I couldn't get into a menu, exit the room, examine any objects. Nothing worked. So I had to restart from my last save. D:
Something similar happened to me when I was in the
Car underwater. The water didn't fill all the way up, even though I did everything right.
I reloaded my save which was unfortunately all the way back in the football field. : \

It wasn't too bad though. I breezed through, and even made a different decision which is more like me.

I think I'll start my second playthrough today.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
WOW! Enjoying this game even more than I thought I would. Can't stop playing once I pick it up.

Who knew this game would be one that makes the family gather around the Wii? :lol My mom loves to watch and my dad watched for a while, and we figured out the
puzzle in the art room where you have to form a phone number
together, with my mom taking most of the credit. And they loved to just watch the game. :lol Didn't think they would.

Really interested in the story. Once this game won best ending at Giant Bomb for their GotY awards, I knew I had to get it. And this game actually scares me sometimes even though I heard over and over that it wasn't scary. I'm usually not even scared by video games, but this is doing it for me for some reason.

Nos_G

I just got this game on Wii and got up to the
'Happy Family coloring segment. Wii mote fails at coloring in between the lines.

Good game so far, although I may not progress too far because I was already getting anxious playing it. Silent Hills and its ilk get me really freaked out for some reason. I had to stop playing Homecoming when I reached the Hotel.

Hiltz

Climax deserves another shot at the franchise in my opinion. I really enjoyed SM's refreshing gameplay despite its flaws. The ending was also very good too.

Hopefully, Konami will do a much better job of marketing the next game if there is ever another Silent Hill title on the Wii.

CaVaYeRo

I have to leave my thoughts here yet, but I completely loved this innovative, classy game and its breath-taking ending. Konami should give Climax a spin-off series for the Wii.

by the way, it's been delayed until March 4th in Spain (I guess it's an Euro delay): http://www.revogamers.net/noticias-4586-Un-mes-más-para-la-pesadilla-de-Silent-Hill-en-Wii.html

Not bad, considering Crystal Bearers and Endless Ocean 2 were hitting the shelves the same day (feb 5), and Tatsunoko some days before.

Any horror fan MUST play this gem.

EDIT: FYI, PSP and PS2 versions share that new date in Europe.

snap0212

Combichristoffersen said:
That's the date I've seen for the PS2 version. Seems like no one knows when the PSP/PS2 versions are supposed to be out :lol
No way I'm going to pick this up day 1. Whenever that will be.

There still is not one single review out for the psp version, which is a pretty bad sign. I really hope I'm wrong... :(

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
snap0212 said:
No way I'm going to pick this up day 1. Whenever that will be.

There still is not one single review out for the psp version, which is a pretty bad sign. I really hope I'm wrong... :(
Eh, Sky Crawlers didn't get a review before Destructoid's late last week, unless you count Nintendo Power, but most of them have come in in the past couple of days. Don't worry, they'll get here...

snap0212

doomed1 said:
Eh, Sky Crawlers didn't get a review before Destructoid's late last week, unless you count Nintendo Power, but most of them have come in in the past couple of days. Don't worry, they'll get here...
But they haven't even shown the game to anyone. I can't find a single preview or something like that. Why would you keep a Silent Hill game completely behind the curtain? I guess I'll start Origins again tonight. :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
snap0212 said:
But they haven't even shown the game to anyone. I can't find a single preview or something like that. Why would you keep a Silent Hill game completely behind the curtain? I guess I'll start Origins again tonight. :D
because you put your best foot forward with games like these? It won't look any worse than origins, that's for certain, and it really is a fantastic game, Wii or not. It's just the Wii version has a few more positive quirks (and better graphics) due to the nature of the system. I don't imagine the game would play much differently.

oracrest

Started this last night. Then I had nightmares about seeing ghosts through cameras all night.

Good stuff!

This one is really creepy. So far, as creepy as the first one was.

snap0212

doomed1 said:
because you put your best foot forward with games like these? It won't look any worse than origins, that's for certain, and it really is a fantastic game, Wii or not. It's just the Wii version has a few more positive quirks (and better graphics) due to the nature of the system. I don't imagine the game would play much differently.
I hope you're right. :) Can't wait for the first impressions...

Top Bottom