• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Luigiv

oracrest said:
Started this last night. Then I had nightmares about seeing ghosts through cameras all night.

Good stuff!

This one is really creepy. So far, as creepy as the first one was.
Guess you need to upgrade to a Camera Obscura.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
whelp ... Gamespot put up a new preview for the PSP version ..

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/silenthillshatteredmemories/news.html?sid=6246328&mode=previews

Surprisingly, the controls seem like they've been adapted pretty well.

As for moving the flashlight around, you can't do it while Harry is walking (as you can in the Wii version). So, instead, the PSP version lets you hit the right-shoulder button, which takes you into a first-person view that gives you a closer, first-person view you can manipulate with the analog nub without moving Harry around

Naturally, other concessions had to be made to accommodate the PSP's hardware, but one aspect of the game that hasn't changed much at all is the visuals. The PSP version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks nearly identical to its Wii counterpart,

The PSP version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is scheduled for release on January 19.

344qmms.jpg

v48mro.jpg

chandoog said:
whelp ... Gamespot put up a new preview for the PSP version ..

Naturally, other concessions had to be made to accommodate the PSP's hardware, but one aspect of the game that hasn't changed much at all is the visuals. The PSP version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks nearly identical to its Wii counterpart,

344qmms.jpg

v48mro.jpg

:lol Has Gamespot played the Wii version?

GDGF

Soothsayer
gamespot said:
Naturally, other concessions had to be made to accommodate the PSP's hardware, but one aspect of the game that hasn't changed much at all is the visuals. The PSP version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks nearly identical to its Wii counterpart

What the drunk?

Sadist

Dascu said:
The newsletter I got from Nintendo Belgium today still mentions a February 2010 release date.
Yup, allready saw it.
Dutch newsletter

Hey... Span Smasher is mentioned. Well I'll be damned.

CaVaYeRo

The PSP version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks nearly identical to its Wii counterpart,

Oh shit, I don't know why we should keep fighting against this kind of hate. This is really unpleasant, and you can see it every day.

doom1 said:
Resolution does alot for helping processing power. From the screens, I get the feeling that the shadows are subdued though.

959240_20090925_790screen003.jpg

959240_20090925_790screen002.jpg

959240_20090925_790screen001.jpg

959240_20090925_790screen008.jpg

959196_20091210_790screen002.jpg

959196_20091210_790screen007.jpg

959196_20091210_790screen014.jpg

959196_20091210_790screen019.jpg

yeah i can't tell but i think the lighting, shadows, models, and textures may look a bit different. but it's so identical!!

pakkit

Banned
CaVaYeRo said:
Oh shit, I don't know why we should keep fighting against this kind of hate. This is really unpleasant, and you can see it every day.
How is the quote dissing the Wii? All its saying is that the PSP graphics remain faithful to the Wii version, which is a good thing.

kinggroin

Banned
Identical or not, considering the platform, it's close enough. Still, a lot of the fun was the freely controlled flashlight WHILE moving about. That and environment interaction (including wiimote cellphone audio).

MWCShay

I want a scary game, should I go ahead and buy this game now? Yes or no?

I haven't read this thread in a couple weeks too, so I have no idea about the game anymore.

Is it like the previous Silent Hills? If it is I want no parts of it, if it is different I will give it a chance.

Ridley327

Given the scope of the game, it looks pretty awesome for a PSP title. It doesn't hold a patch to the Wii version, but it's certainly faithful. Now, about those QTEs...

Culex

Banned
MWCShay said:
I want a scary game, should I go ahead and buy this game now? Yes or no?

I haven't read this thread in a couple weeks too, so I have no idea about the game anymore.

Is it like the previous Silent Hills? If it is I want no parts of it, if it is different I will give it a chance.

It's a very different game. Ignore everything you've known about previous silent hill games. I bought the game and love it.

MiniDitka

959240_20090925_790screen002.jpg

NDVD_001-2.jpg

959240_20090925_790screen001.jpg

uvs100113-004.jpg

NDVD_004-3.jpg

959240_20090925_790screen008.jpg

uvs091206-007.jpg

NDVD_030-1.jpg

A few subtle changes I noticed from some captures I took are the snow isn't as flat as the PSP version and there are a few more pieces of broken fence on the ground and in the store level you can notice there are more shirts on the table and they're not as flat.

Will be interesting to see how the PS2 version plays.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Ridley327 said:
Identical to the PSP version? By every account we've had up to this point, it's the same game.
The PS2 version might have some more freedom with the flashlight considering the second analog stick...

MiniDitka

Ridley327 said:
Identical to the PSP version? By every account we've had up to this point, it's the same game.

doomed1 said:
The PS2 version might have some more freedom with the flashlight considering the second analog stick...

That was my thinking as well. Guess I'll find out next week.

hellclerk

UrbanRats said:
Winners don't do drugs.
Gamespot it's a Loser then. :lol
Well, all things considered, it doesn't look all that bad. They seem to have the lighting model down at least.

After playing this game a bunch, has anyone else gotten the urge to immediately pull out their cellphones and call a number when they see it on a billboard or sign somewhere? I know I have :lol

Neo187

Neo Member
Don't know if anybody else posted it already, but here's the cover from Amazon for the PAL version coming out in March

51pWC2SrcYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

My opinion? Much better than the NTSC one

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Neo187 said:
Don't know if anybody else posted it already, but here's the cover from Amazon for the PAL version coming out in March

51pWC2SrcYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

My opinion? Much better than the NTSC one
That's the old cover (notice how the PEGI rating is still missing).
The final cover is sadly the same as the American version.

hellclerk

voodoopanda said:
After playing this game a bunch, has anyone else gotten the urge to immediately pull out their cellphones and call a number when they see it on a billboard or sign somewhere? I know I have :lol
Wait, IRL cell phones? Not really... But in game, that's the whole idea!

sphinx

the piano man
So I got this game for christmas and started it yesterday and have a few questions after half an hour of gameplay:

.- Is the whole game with no light, relying just on the flashlight to see anything? I am having headaches... I totally hate not being able to see where I exactly need to go and using the Map while walking is unpractical.

.- Should I try to find hidden, out of the way stuff with the camera? Is there anything to find that way?

.- The mementos, is just a collectathon thing or do I need them for anything good? Is anything here missable? It seems like the game follows a course and going back is not intended.

well, that's for now, thanks whoever helps me here.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This game... holy shit. I now HAVE to play at least Silent Hill 2 and 3 just to experience the series. I know they aren't made by the same people, but by most counts they are great games with good stories.

This game really needs to be commended for its story-telling. It really felt extremely cinematic to me, while still feeling like a video game. Very unique way to tell a story and show disturbing images
loved swimming through the water and looking down to see bodies... loved falling and seeing all the images
. This game had a grip on me from the beginning.

Now, the ending. I've read some posts (admittedly not many) but
the things you do, the people you help, are loose memories of Cheryl's that finally come together in the end? Harry is seen as being uninterested in Dahlia but finally giving into temptation (I take that this is finally Cheryl accepting that her dad cheated?) Sitting in the back seat of the car while the couple bickered represents her parents fighting? Or am I understanding this incorrectly? The journey was a metaphor, right? As in trying to accept the truth, with nightmare sequences trying desperately to pull them back in.

Yeah, this game should be making a lot more waves for it's mature and incredibly innovative storytelling and writing. Every Wii owner should play it.

I just loved how it never delved into monsters and magic and the occult, but the monsters in the game were symbolic of cheryl's repressed memories encroaching on her perfect, fabricated vision of her father. That and the way that the game picks your brain so subtly to create what her actual father was like and how she deals with his death. Just incredible. One of my top 5 of 2009

SonOfABeep said:
I just loved how it never delved into monsters and magic and the occult, but the monsters in the game were symbolic of cheryl's repressed memories encroaching on her perfect, fabricated vision of her father. That and the way that the game picks your brain so subtly to create what her actual father was like and how she deals with his death. Just incredible. One of my top 5 of 2009

I think it was the other way around.

The Otherworld and the monsters appeared whenever Harry got too close to learning the truth. The monsters are childlike in size, and apparently their cries are actually a little girl screaming, run through an audio filter.

They try to "cling" to Harry and "embrace" him. They're like snow, clinging to and trying to "freeze" that perfect Harry in place to keep him from getting away.

They're representatives of Cheryl herself.

Similarly, I think that the Dahlia you meet, as opposed to the Dahlia you see in the mementos and during certain ending sequences, is a different person. I think that's Cheryl's idealized self, "replacing" her mother in some creepy Electra complex based on the father she never knew. After all, she seems to know what's going on, on the bridge she deliberately avoids Harry's question, "What are you to me?", initially avoids the first time Harry asks how she knows Cheryl, and almost immediately after she tells Harry to just "let things be" (and stop questioning the fantasy), the world freezes over.

EmCeeGramr said:
I think it was the other way around.

The Otherworld and the monsters appeared whenever Harry got too close to learning the truth. The monsters are childlike in size, and apparently their cries are actually a little girl screaming, run through an audio filter.

They try to "cling" to Harry and "embrace" him. They're like snow, clinging to and trying to "freeze" that perfect Harry in place to keep him from getting away.

See, I took it as whenever harry got too close to the truth, cheryl was protecting herself from the truth of her dad's death by "freezing the world" and having james run from these creatures that symbolized the fear and dread of his death. I also saw that the other characters hinting to harry that everything wasn't right was paralleled in the therapist trying to get at the truth behind cheryl's memories.

But you could be right too. I just saw it that way when I played the game. I got the "Cheryl pretends harry is still alive" ending though, so that might have influenced me.

Medalion said:
PSP = as powerful or more than Wii confirmed

You are contributing SO MUCH to this conversation.

Thank you.

Also i can't see not playing this on the Wii. The IR controls, the remote speaker, and the few, but masterfully used motion control sequences really were part of what made the game for me. More like the cherry on top of the excellent story and writing.

Medalion said:
Relax man.

I've played the Wii version and beat it... loved it so much.

lol no problem

I guess i was just hoping for more ending discusssion. This game stuck with me for a good week. No game ever did that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Really... why is this game not getting more attention? I can't imagine it not leaving at least some kind of meaningful impression on anyone that plays it. It's extremely deep.

Also, a lot of reviews said this game wasn't scary. I guess, I would say it wasn't scary... but it's very creepy, very atmospheric, and disturbing. There were some jump scares here or there.

Because the truth that Harry gets close to discovering is what Cheryl is repressing, it seems to me the monsters represent Cheryl trying to keep Harry/herself in the dark. His escaping eventually leads to the ending, which is what Cheryl is trying to keep Harry away from. So whenever it got close to the ending being revealed, the world froze up and tried to stop Harry so he/Cheryl would stay in denial.

Also I really loved this game, and the more time that passes after I beat it and I think about it, the more it impresses me, both in terms of story and how it uses the interactive nature of games to tell it's story. In a game without much in the way of traditional game play mechanics like combat, it still manages to be something that would be impossible to tell in the same way in any medium other than a game.

Edit: I'd say the game lacked some of the jump-style scares of a lot of horror games, but the disturbing/creepy atmosphere was topnotch.

Fantastical said:
Really... why is this game not getting more attention? I can't imagine it not leaving at least some kind of meaningful impression on anyone that plays it. It's extremely deep.

Also, a lot of reviews said this game wasn't scary. I guess, I would say it wasn't scary... but it's very creepy, very atmospheric, and disturbing. There were some jump scares here or there.

The reviews can probably be blamed on that most of them probably didn't finish it. Especially during a hurried holiday season, most of the awful reviewers out there won't finish it.

Giant Bomb gave it a fair shake, because brad actually finished it and appropriately focused on the ending as the highlight of the game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

SoccerGoaliePro said:
This game is amazing the story , the gameplay, the characters... everything.
It's hands down in my top 3 of 09.
Agreed on both points.

SonOfABeep said:
Giant Bomb gave it a fair shake, because brad actually finished it and appropriately focused on the ending as the highlight of the game.
Speaking of Brad, I believe he made a comment on the Bombcast saying how this game feels like a dream. I completely agree with him. There is this weird kind of feeling to it that is very dream-like.

sphinx

the piano man
sphinx said:
So I got this game for christmas and started it yesterday and have a few questions after half an hour of gameplay:

.- Is the whole game with no light, relying just on the flashlight to see anything? I am having headaches... I totally hate not being able to see where I exactly need to go and using the Map while walking is unpractical.

.- Should I try to find hidden, out of the way stuff with the camera? Is there anything to find that way?

.- The mementos, is just a collectathon thing or do I need them for anything good? Is anything here missable? It seems like the game follows a course and going back is not intended.

well, that's for now, thanks whoever helps me here.

mmhh, hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, thanks.

hellclerk

sphinx said:
mmhh, hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, thanks.
Th mementos mean nothing, yes, it's going to remain dark, though truthfully the lighting ranges quite a bit, and just play the game like you think you should. That's kind of the whole point. You can miss quite a bit, but it's not a detriment, just play the game, and don't worry about any meta-game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
doomed1 said:
Th mementos mean nothing, yes, it's going to remain dark, though truthfully the lighting ranges quite a bit, and just play the game like you think you should. That's kind of the whole point. You can miss quite a bit, but it's not a detriment, just play the game, and don't worry about any meta-game.
I looked at all the pictures in the burlesque house for at least a minute. When do my achievements unlock?

Medalion

Banned
Flashlights are necessary 95% of the time in the game,... nightmare sequences I find I don't have to use it at all which is necessary to avoid alerting the monsters. They still chase after me a lot without it, but less so with lights off.

Kevtones

My analogy for the game to those who have finished:
The game is like falling down a snowy mountain without any way to stop and if something does stop you, it's because it killed you. However, at some point you're going to get to the bottom of the mountain, and inevitably stop, and similarly die. Silent Hill is a free-fall and you're just going to keep going until you're dead/the twist

hellclerk

I Push Fat Kids said:
My analogy for the game to those who have finished:
The game is like falling down a snowy mountain without any way to stop and if something does stop you, it's because it killed you. However, at some point you're going to get to the bottom of the mountain, and inevitably stop, and similarly die. Silent Hill is a free-fall and you're just going to keep going until you're dead/the twist
Eh, I'm not entirely sure. To borrow a bit from Gnarls Barkley a bit,
It's like wandering around in a dark corridor, seeing monsters and fearful creatures wherever you turn, so you start running, frantically searching for a light in your pitch labyrinth, and when you finally do manage to find the light switch (at the end of course) you turn on the lights and you find yourself in a house of mirrors. The whole time the monster was you. When falling from a mountain, you know generally what's going to happen and what's happening to you. not so much in a dark house of mirrors.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Fantastical said:
Really... why is this game not getting more attention?

1. It's a mature third party game for the Wii
2. Barely any marketing, so the game is pretty much sent to die
3. The Silent Hill franchise is as good as dead nowadays :(

Top Bottom