• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Nose Master

How long is the game? Giant Bomb gave it wii goty (I think?), but, it's well, bad. Is it short enough that it's worth trudging through the clumsy gameplay for the plot?

Nose Master said:
How long is the game? Giant Bomb gave it wii goty (I think?), but, it's well, bad. Is it short enough that it's worth trudging through the clumsy gameplay for the plot?
Pretty short: 5 to 6 hours tops unless you get stumped on the 1 or 2 puzzles that can be extremely tricky

scitek

Nose Master said:

yes, they gave it Wii game of the year. I think the primary reason to play it is for the story. The gameplay is totally hit or miss, but the story is very well-told.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
red shoe paul said:
It was the 12th, pushed to the 19th for some dumb reason probably.

Huh. Checked the Konami site after my last post, and it seemed to imply that the game wouldn't be out until February, but that could possibly be the European release date.

Combichristoffersen said:
Huh. Checked the Konami site after my last post, and it seemed to imply that the game wouldn't be out until February, but that could possibly be the European release date.

In Europe the original date was January 19th, though I'm not sure if that's pushed back either. It must be since USA gets games before EUR. I guess we can only wait until the 12th and 19th and see..

Valkyr Junkie said:
Pretty short: 5 to 6 hours tops unless you get stumped on the 1 or 2 puzzles that can be extremely tricky

I checked my time with the Wii message board, and it said I took a little over 8 hours for my first time. I exited to the home menu for about a half-hour, so it might actually be 7½ hours. Never been quite sure whether it counts time spent in the home menu in those numbers.

Then my second playthrough I blazed through (I did a pretty even mix of the same story stuff while doing different rooms and paths) in about 4-5 hours.

But I'm pretty methodical in games like this, always checking every corner to find every reaction I can get. Even in games where it totally doesn't matter and the game doesn't give a crap, it feels wrong if I leave an area without talking to everyone and clicking on everything. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
But I'm pretty methodical in games like this, always checking every corner to find every reaction I can get. Even in games where it totally doesn't matter and the game doesn't give a crap, it feels wrong if I leave an area without talking to everyone and clicking on everything. :lol

I'm the same. Took me 30 hours to beat RE4 the first time because of that. :lol

Kevtones

EatChildren said:
End game spoiler, but does anybody else think it's ironic that
the thread title is exactly how the game ends? :lol

Pretty much the greatest thing ever now that I've finished the game :lol

I played through from the end of the mall areas/pawn shop through the finale and the game takes a true surrealist turn that makes you completely doubt everything. I had a number of theories although the twist at the end got me, it wasn't shocking, it was just really, really smart. It's rewarding, poignant, and makes me want to start up the game a second time, immediately.

Great job Climax, especially if the impending playthroughs reveal the strength of the craft and shows how the elements come together. Also:

Aside from one thing, the game really described me in the ending profile and that is sort of eerie. Also the memento box shot was pitch perfect with the mood

The game is short, but it seems like there's a lot of incentive to do multiple playthroughs, though.

I wish more games were like that =X

EazyB

Banned
I was thinking about picking this game up for my gf. Just wanted to know if there are difficulty settings for the game or if it's fairly easy so she can get through the whole thing.

iosef

Started game early PM today; loving it.
Played for about four hours. Everything's good.
Then I get to
the second part of the school nightmare where you have to take pictures,
and I realize the camera's full. "Oh, that's no problem," I think, "I'll just delete a few photos."

And then when I go to
the first red checkpoint
and break out the camera, it tells me something like "picture file data has been corrupted" and gives me an option to delete it. Sure, I'll delete my picture file data, methinks, just let me get on with the game.

Then it hangs with the camera out (can't put it back, can't run), and when I reset THE ENTIRE SAVE FILE IS GONE!!!!

I can't believe Konami put out a product with this kind of game-breaking bug in it; it appears that numerous others have encountered the same thing.

Anybody got a save file halfway through
the school nightmare
or thereabouts that they'd care to share?

EazyB said:
I was thinking about picking this game up for my gf. Just wanted to know if there are difficulty settings for the game or if it's fairly easy so she can get through the whole thing.
Not many puzzles really, but the motion control will be annoying if you don't actually do it correctly.

frogg609

Well, after a week away from my save game being deleted (see earlier posts in this thread), I went through it again tonight. Took about 6 hours this time around.

I loved it.

The fact that there was no talk of the occult or anything in this game was a welcome change in the series. The ending was a huge surprise until Harry entered "The Lighthouse" and then I was shocked. Great ending. Curious though, who were Lisa and Michelle to Cheryl if anyone? That confused me.

Curious, how many endings are there in this game?

Also, are there any overall secrets from one playthrough to another?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
frogg609 said:
Well, after a week away from my save game being deleted (see earlier posts in this thread), I went through it again tonight. Took about 6 hours this time around.

I loved it.

The fact that there was no talk of the occult or anything in this game was a welcome change in the series. The ending was a huge surprise until Harry entered "The Lighthouse" and then I was shocked. Great ending. Curious though, who were Lisa and Michelle to Cheryl if anyone? That confused me.

Curious, how many endings are there in this game?

Also, are there any overall secrets from one playthrough to another?

Four endings, one good, three bad. There's also an awesome UFO ending, look it up on YouTube.

I also think that
they didn't mean anyone to Cheryl, they were real people living in Silent Hill who got caught up in the game's events.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UrbanRats said:
Ok, how do i know wich ending i got? there are no statistics recap, like the old SHs, or did i miss something?

The endings all involve (dont read if you haven't finished)
Cheryl learning that her father is dead. But Harry's comment before freezing the afterwards video recording are different. The list of video recordings are;

1: Cheryl tapes Harry as he is leaving, he tells Cheryl that him and her mother still love her despite not loving each other. This is the good ending.
2: Harry coming home drunk, dancing for Cheryl, aggressively demanding she gets him another beer, then calling the family 'lousy'.
3: Harry starting a threesome video with Michelle and Lisa. They ask if he can dedicate his new book to them, and he says he always dedicates his book to his family, then laughs.
4: Harry being verbally abused by his wife, calling him hopeless and such.

5: Then there is the UFO ending.

UrbanRats

EatChildren said:
The endings all involve (dont read if you haven't finished)
Cheryl learning that her father is dead. But Harry's comment before freezing the afterwards video recording are different. The list of video recordings are;

1: Cheryl tapes Harry as he is leaving, he tells Cheryl that him and her mother still love her despite not loving each other. This is the good ending.
2: Harry coming home drunk, dancing for Cheryl, aggressively demanding she gets him another beer, then calling the family 'lousy'.
3: Harry starting a threesome video with Michelle and Lisa. They ask if he can dedicate his new book to them, and he says he always dedicates his book to his family, then laughs.
4: Harry being verbally abused by his wife, calling him hopeless and such.

5: Then there is the UFO ending.
Thanks!
Ok, so apparently i got
the good ending.
^^

Time to restart a new game.
--
I'm a huge SH fan(brought BOLM & Lost Memories DVD, from Japan and stuff) and i have to say, i really liked this one.
The story is great and the gameplay work really well with the remote.
The only three things i think need a consistant upgrade, are:
• Puzzles-- really, open a zip is NOT a puzzle XD

• fuck'd up things-- all the rooms when you explore the buildings, are simply.. empty; the poltergeist things are pretty lame, this game need some fucked up ideas, as the one in the end, but through out the whole game.

• Yamaoka: the OST was really weak.. really really weak.. coming from a Yamaoka die hard fan.

Ridley327

SH:SM is a rare game where I don't think the concept of "good/bad endings" really applies, which speaks very highly of its own storytelling abilities.

UrbanRats

Ridley327 said:
SH:SM is a rare game where I don't think the concept of "good/bad endings" really applies, which speaks very highly of its own storytelling abilities.
Well, that is true for SH2, also. :lol
I like the fact that in this series, the ending you get is not spoiled out from some some far too obvious choises, Bioware style(with all respect for them :lol ):
"will you kill the saint virgin lady that keeps peace and harmony going, throwing humanity in a doom fire of hellish pain"
or "will you burn your self alive saving th planet, the nature, all that is good and holy, like butterflies, childrens and nuns , while spreading good thoughts all over the place"?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So my girlfriend sat me down this evening, forcing me complete Shattered Memories in a single playthrough. I hate horror games, and was really reluctant, but luckily my whining led to her playing all the "nightmare" scenarios for me. That eased my nerves a little.

Now, I really don't know much about the series, and I know this one stands out on it's own in terms of game direction, but man, I wouldn't mind playing more of SH if they were all like this. The story, the psychological analysis, the game being altered and fitted to your psyche. Heck, even the controls were great, shoving off enemies worked better than I thought it would, and the flashlight was just a really organic way to control your camera and character. It's perfect. I thoroughly enjoy it, and it was definitely a great way to start my gaming year.

I didn't see the ending coming, at all. The run towards
the Lighthouse, and the frozen statues underwater were both very touching. And Cheryl's final meeting with her father's memory got me a little choked up.
Simply superb. Everything crashed together, and wrapped up everything for me perfectly.

UrbanRats

Lyphen said:
So my girlfriend sat me down this evening, forcing me complete Shattered Memories in a single playthrough. I hate horror games, and was really reluctant, but luckily my whining led to her playing all the "nightmare" scenarios for me. That eased my nerves a little.

Now, I really don't know much about the series, and I know this one stands out on it's own in terms of game direction, but man, I wouldn't mind playing more of SH if they were all like this. The story, the psychological analysis, the game being altered and fitted to your psyche. Heck, even the controls were great, shoving off enemies worked better than I thought it would, and the flashlight was just a really organic way to control your camera and character. It's perfect. I thoroughly enjoy it, and it was definitely a great way to start my gaming year.

I didn't see the ending coming, at all. The run towards
the Lighthouse, and the frozen statues underwater were both very touching. And Cheryl's final meeting with her father's memory got me a little choked up.
Simply superb. Everything crashed together, and wrapped up everything for me perfectly.
Well, you should at least try Silent Hill 2 then..

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If Climax read this thread I'd be they'd feel awfully proud! I hope someone there has. At least if it doesn't sell super well, they can still feel good knowing they hit all the right notes with a lot of people who've completed it.

Plus, the engine is amazing. Give us more.

After listening to Giant Bomb's epic 4-hour podcast and hearing the love for this, and what seems to be an awesome twist at the end, I really want to play this...

Sorta off topic, I have posted in the buy/sell/trade thread but so far no luck, are any of you thinking about selling your copy after finishing it? If so pm me, please! Thanks!:D

I got and played through this game recently and loved it. I only played Silent Hill 1 on PSX out of the Silent Hill series before, and liked it a lot. Still probably the scariest game I've ever played. I do remember even back then thinking I'd really like something similar but without the combat. Shattered Memories is a game I've been wanting to play for years.

I really dig how it got rid of a lot of the "video gamey" elements that plagues some games, and is usually related to combat. Stuff like health drinks and inventory systems. At the same time, it's a game that could only be done as a video game, due to all the choices you can make that actively changes the game and storyline, so it doesn't suffer from "could've been a movie" syndrome either. For example, ending spoiler-ish
The ending twist worked so well and could only work in a video game, you couldn't easily pull something like that off in a movie without being obvious.

I've heard a lot of great things about Silent Hill 2 but man is it going for big bucks now, like 70$ on Amazon for the PS2 version, 120$ for the Xbox one. Doesn't look like I'll be playing that any time soon.

Just finished the game for the first time, played it over the course of two nights... it's short, but I'm glad it is because I want to replay it a few times.

I'd say it's probably my 3rd favorite Silent Hill...

1. SH2
2. SH1
3. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Really loved it. My only complaint is I wish that there were hard puzzles in the game. My favorite way to play through Silent Hill games was to set the combat on Easy and the riddles on the most difficult setting. So the lack of combat didn't bother me at all in this game. I guess I would like it to be scarier but overall, this is a great game and I'm glad I got it.

I'll preface with this: I'm the world's biggest, dorkiest silent hill fan. ok, done.

This game is horrible.

It's.. so unbearably boring, it's not scary in any way, or creepy, it doesn't have any atmosphere whatsoever which is for a silent hill game, just, just anathema, the puzzles are insipid and the only time that I'm not completely bored (the chase sequences) I get extremely frustrated by the clumsy controls and annoying, repetitive hallways. It's crap, it sucks, even Yamaoka, godly Yamaoka, sounds tired and over it. The little tidbits of texts, calls, and all that other stuff are so off point and trite that I'm just waiting for them to be over, not skipping them in case I need the info for a puzzle or something. It doesn't even feel like a Silent Hill game. It really made me appreciate all the work that must've went into making Silent Hill Homecoming feel like a real Silent Hill game because apparently it's not easy.

With that said, the game does do one, and only one, thing right: The story is very interesting, and I'll slog through the rest of the game to see how it ends. As a.. I don't know, crazy person simulator, the game shines. The reimagined Harry Mason is one of my least favorite protagonists ever, and I'd much rather see him get dismembered than merely tackled and humped by an asexual demon thing, but he's interesting and complicated and you really want to see how he's going to react to the next given crazy circumstance. For that matter, some of the events seem to have some real talent in their direction and execution, mainly so far the
car in the river
scene.

So in short, the story has me hooked, I've got to see how it ends, and I may even replay it a little to see how other choices might have played out. However, while I'm doing so, I'm going to be bored as hell.

Oh. I forgot. One thing does creep me out.
the way when you die, if there are multiple enemies around, one of them will come over and start stroking you. that freaks me right the fuck out.

theinfinityissue said:
I'll preface with this: I'm the world's biggest, dorkiest silent hill fan. ok, done.

This game is horrible.

It's.. so unbearably boring, it's not scary in any way, or creepy, it doesn't have any atmosphere whatsoever which is for a silent hill game, just, just anathema, the puzzles are insipid and the only time that I'm not completely bored (the chase sequences) I get extremely frustrated by the clumsy controls and annoying, repetitive hallways. It's crap, it sucks, even Yamaoka, godly Yamaoka, sounds tired and over it. The little tidbits of texts, calls, and all that other stuff are so off point and trite that I'm just waiting for them to be over, not skipping them in case I need the info for a puzzle or something. It doesn't even feel like a Silent Hill game. It really made me appreciate all the work that must've went into making Silent Hill Homecoming feel like a real Silent Hill game because apparently it's not easy.

With that said, the game does do one, and only one, thing right: The story is very interesting, and I'll slog through the rest of the game to see how it ends. As a.. I don't know, crazy person simulator, the game shines. The reimagined Harry Mason is one of my least favorite protagonists ever, and I'd much rather see him get dismembered than merely tackled and humped by an asexual demon thing, but he's interesting and complicated and you really want to see how he's going to react to the next given crazy circumstance. For that matter, some of the events seem to have some real talent in their direction and execution, mainly so far the
car in the river
scene.

So in short, the story has me hooked, I've got to see how it ends, and I may even replay it a little to see how other choices might have played out. However, while I'm doing so, I'm going to be bored as hell.

the way when you die, if there are multipe enemies around, one of them will come over and start stroking you. that freaks me right the fuck out.

Man, I am a huge Silent Hill fan (and one that had pretty much considered the series dead after the last few games) and I really enjoyed this game. Considering the budget for this game, they tried a lot of new things and delivered on what the main thrust of it was -- making a game that got into the player's head a bit.

I thought they made a lot of smart decisions -- the combat has always been the worst part of Silent Hill, so they removed it. The thing most fans seem to love about 2 and why they put it on a pedestal -- the story and character stuff -- was emphasized. The character interactions in this game are probably the best they've been in a Silent Hill game, because the previous ones all pretty much took place in cutscenes, or involved the crappy combat systems somehow.

I miss the puzzles probably most of all, and I would definitely like a "scarier" game, as this one wasn't scary at all. But the game was really enjoyable to me. The controls worked well, except for the occasional throw-off that didn't work. The running sequences were good and could be improved a lot in a sequel. The character interactions were actually more interesting in this game, I felt. I liked that they brought to the forefront the idea of how you play the game and what it means to the character's development.

I sincerely hope that this game is successful and that they build off of these things in the next game, which I think could be truly great now that they have laid such a promising framework.

theinfinityissue said:

This game is horrible.

car in the river
scene.

the way when you die, if there are multiple enemies around, one of them will come over and start stroking you. that freaks me right the fuck out.

this post is funny for several reasons

Haunted

theinfinityissue said:

This game is horrible.

car in the river
scene.

Please post again immediately after finishing the game. Interested in reading your impressions then. :)

Haunted said:
Please post again immediately after finishing the game. Interested in reading your impressions then. :)

Don't be mean, dude, I actually agree with him.
Harry's clearly a lunatic, and you wish the game would just kill him instead of him getting knocked down.

Mar

Any word on the PS2 version? Like, is it worth getting that instead of the Wii version?

I don't have a Wii :(

Luigiv

Mar_ said:
Any word on the PS2 version? Like, is it worth getting that instead of the Wii version?

Nope, until it hits sometime within the next couple of weeks, we know absolutely nothing about it.

Mar_ said:

Man, I really can't imagine the game playing anywhere near as well as it does on Wii. The pointer controls and speaker are used well, as well as the motion stuff (for about 90% of it).

There are a lot of games I could see getting on other platforms, but I wouldn't recommend it for this game.

Ridley327

FWIW, the PSP version is seemingly on track for release for next week, though that could change in a heartbeat. The PS2 version appears to be MIA, for right now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Didn't somebody say screens of the chase scenes on the PS2/PSP looked like QTE? Because I'd almost argue they'd work better that way, being speed based QTE + a little interaction on path finding.

Otherwise I wouldnt like to play it without the Wii remote. It's pretty simple in usage but for me it adds to the whole thing. Flashlight control is a no brainer and works better than a flashlight has in any game ever (in my opinion), but also the 'puzzles' throughout the game are more enjoyable thanks to pointer interaction.

They're already so easy that they're not really worth calling puzzles, but it's still fun to point, click, and move stuff. Feels like an old-school Myst style adventure in that regard; you look at a scene and need to work out what to point at and how to move it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
John Harker said:
Plus, the engine is amazing. Give us more.

One of the good parts that I have yet to see mentioned is the lack of loading between rooms, because loading times can really kill the atmosphere for me in games like this.
The inconsistent framerate wasn't as appreciated though; opening a door leading to the outside seemed to strangle the engine completely. But then, I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to framerate. :p
All in all though, impressive engine.

UrbanRats

EatChildren said:
Didn't somebody say screens of the chase scenes on the PS2/PSP looked like QTE? Because I'd almost argue they'd work better that way, being speed based QTE + a little interaction on path finding.

Otherwise I wouldnt like to play it without the Wii remote. It's pretty simple in usage but for me it adds to the whole thing. Flashlight control is a no brainer and works better than a flashlight has in any game ever (in my opinion), but also the 'puzzles' throughout the game are more enjoyable thanks to pointer interaction.

They're already so easy that they're not really worth calling puzzles, but it's still fun to point, click, and move stuff. Feels like an old-school Myst style adventure in that regard; you look at a scene and need to work out what to point at and how to move it.
Yeah, maybe they'd work better but the thing that frustrates me, is not the difficulty itself(i died like 5 times in the whole game)as much as the fact that you can't look at the awesome fuck'd up environment, because you have to run like hell, costantly.

I agree on everything else you said and, as eretic as it may sound, i think they should look more into classic adventure games for ideas(leaving the character full control, ofcourse, i'm not saying to transofrm it completely in a point 'n' click adv.)like puzzles and stuff.

EatChildren

UrbanRats said:
Yeah, maybe they'd work better but the thing that frustrates me, is not the difficulty itself(i died like 5 times in the whole game)as much as the fact that you can't look at the awesome fuck'd up environment, because you have to run like hell, costantly.

Yeah, I agree. I'd like to see trips to the otherword remain combatless, but longer and less restrictive. Maybe some puzzles, some more depth and gameplay mechanics to the running (perhaps trapping and luring monsters?), and some exploration.

UrbanRats

Yeah, concerning "trapping and luring", looking into SIREN BloodCurse(where you can hide properly and use traps) could be useful too.
(afterall, Toyama did invented Silent Hill :lol).
Or Haunting Ground also.

Top Bottom