• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

J-Rock said:
Thanks for the impressions slasher_thrasher21!

How does the story feel to you so far?

Honestly, I know the first Silent Hill story. Granted when I first played it, I had no idea WTf was going on. Well SM gives me that exact feeling. I played 5 hours. Some odd stuff has happened that has me shaking my head and I can't seem to figure out how its all going to tie in. Where I'm at, something was just about to be revealed when suddenly the whole world went to nightmare mode. God that was a awesome moment for me. I thought I was going to get just one more peice of the puzzle and then BAM! Love the ice stuff they have in this game. When I hear that crackling of ice, I'm like.. shit just got real.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I do feel like this Silent Hill is more like a classic point and click adventure game since its all about the mystery, the puzzles, characters, and the setting.
You just made my year. That's what Silent Hill has always been to me from a gameplay sense with a tacked on (and generally unnecessary) combat element. If I end up feeling the same, I'm going to be one REALLLY happy camper!

I can't even tell you how many times I've said in these Silent Hill threads how much like a point and click adventure games these are. That's just great, great news. Thanks for the impressions Slasher!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Might pick this up, have never played a Silent hill game I am intrigued how the no weapons thing works so will give it a whirl in the new year

Terrell

Oh, I can't wait to watch Zero Punctuation when Yahtzee "I wank to Silent Hill" Croshaw gives it a play. I'm sure he'll find reasons to rip it to pieces, no matter how good a game it actually might be.

Sadist

A lot of first timer's here. Same goes for me, well for the most part.

There is a copy of the PC version of Silent Hill 3 lying somewhere in my closet.

Ridley327

Terrell said:
Oh, I can't wait to watch Zero Punctuation when Yahtzee "I wank to Silent Hill" Croshaw gives it a play. I'm sure he'll find reasons to rip it to pieces, no matter how good a game it actually might be.

He does that with every game, though; he had nothing but nice things to say about Assassin's Creed 2 and he still managed to nitpick it for our amusement.

Bah! I'm stuck and there's no FAQs out to help me...

Stuck in the Ice Hell Mall. Got to a safe point, but need to solve a bubblegum related puzzle to continue. Can't figure it out for the life of me. D:

Threi

notag
Square Triangle said:
I don't if I should get this for the PSP or PS2. The Wii version is not an option- I have the system and it's a dust collector.
that is amazing, amazing logic.

Days like these... said:
Just scored my copy too at another gamestop. I'm ashamed to admit it but I've never actually played silent hill game apart from the psp game.

oh god, do yourself a favor and track down a copy of SHII.

For some reason no one has sufficiently been able to explain yet, II and III are graphically superior to nearly every other entry in the series that followed them, including Shattered Memories, despite the fact they're 9 and 7 years old, respectively. They're also very well designed games- pinnacle of the survivor horror genre in fact.

neither one is difficult to find used either- I doubt you'd pay more than 30 dollars for both at this point. If you don't have a ps2 handy (which would be...curious...for a poster on this site) they were released for PC also.

Erebus

Square Triangle said:
I don't if I should get this for the PSP or PS2. The Wii version is not an option- I have the system and it's a dust collector.
Well, no one can tell you for sure because the game is not out on these platforms yet.

mollipen

El Pescado said:
Bah! I'm stuck and there's no FAQs out to help me...

Stuck in the Ice Hell Mall. Got to a safe point, but need to solve a bubblegum related puzzle to continue. Can't figure it out for the life of me. D:

The phone call you get at that point tells you the clue.
It's the colors of the mall mascot's beak.

Manmademan said:
For some reason no one has sufficiently been able to explain yet, II and III are graphically superior to nearly every other entry in the series that followed them, including Shattered Memories, despite the fact they're 9 and 7 years old, respectively. They're also very well designed games- pinnacle of the survivor horror genre in fact.

While I agree about SH3, I don't think SH2's graphics really stand the test of time THAT well...

shidoshi said:
The phone call you get at that point tells you the clue.
It's the colors of the mall mascot's beak.

Oh! Thanks!

donny2112

Square Triangle said:

Pros:
  • Save $20.
  • Ability to keep saying that your Wii is a "dust collector."

Cons:
  • Have to wait an extra ~2 months.
  • Possibly lesser controls/graphics.

sfried

Square Triangle said:
All the better to get it for Wii, I suppose?

donny2112 said:
Pros:
  • Save $20.
  • Ability to keep saying that your Wii is a "dust collector."

Cons:
  • Have to wait an extra ~2 months.
  • Possibly lesser controls/graphics.

To be fair, he's lost the ability to say pretty much anything at all right now..:lol :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wait is the PSP version not coming out next week? I was under the impression that the Wii and PSP version are coming out on the same day, and the PS2 version was delayed.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
You know, I don't think he should have been banned for that statement. Yeah, it was unnecessarily incendiary and implied a rather large level of stupid, but it would have been nice if we could at least have learned that first hand from a follow-up post. Now we'll never know if he saw the error of this ways and how stupid his comments were.

JDSN

Banned
doomed1 said:
You know, I don't think he should have been banned for that statement. Yeah, it was unnecessarily incendiary and implied a rather large level of stupid, but it would have been nice if we could at least have learned that first hand from a follow-up post. Now we'll never know if he saw the error of this ways and how stupid his comments were.
Im pretty sure thats what they usual "YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCKED OUT" messages that the mods sent after the ban is enough.

NintendosBooger said:
This is the Booger you're talking to. When I want it, I get it!

Me too. I had to drive a long way but I'm back with my copy.

As a huge SH fan, I'm ready to be very open minded about it, and if it succeeds at what it tries to do, well, I'm usually not one to complain about good horror games. We'll see here in a minute.

brandonh83 said:
Me too. I had to drive a long way but I'm back with my copy.

As a huge SH fan, I'm ready to be very open minded about it, and if it succeeds at what it tries to do, well, I'm usually not one to complain about good horror games. We'll see here in a minute.
I think I've got more expectations for your thoughts on the game than 30+ website reviews at this point.:lol

I love the good reception the game has gotten so far at this point too.

Brandon, did you get to sink your teeth into this yet? I am waiting for my gfs son and his friends (they are having a sleep over) to fall asleep and then me and the gf are going to try and complete it tonight! Should only be a few more hours.

Does anyone that has completed the game tell me if I'm indeed only about half way through the game? Just did the
SUV water crash scene and in the ice nightmare after the wheelchair moment.

I'm eager to hear some more impressions from people.

Futurevoid said:
You just made my year. That's what Silent Hill has always been to me from a gameplay sense with a tacked on (and generally unnecessary) combat element. If I end up feeling the same, I'm going to be one REALLLY happy camper!

I can't even tell you how many times I've said in these Silent Hill threads how much like a point and click adventure games these are. That's just great, great news. Thanks for the impressions Slasher!

NP. Yeah tell me if you feel the same. Especially since they took out combat for this game, its just really feels like that imo. Will see if others feels the same.

Fuck GameStop. I called them up and asked if they had the game in stock. They said yes. So I drive down there to buy it and they fucking tell me that I can't?

I said "I called here and you said it was in stock. That's your fucking problem."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Terrell said:

I actually expect it to be less scathing than Shidoshi's review, and less parodistic too.

aryies

Neo Member
Terrell said:

if you take his reviews seriously, then im sorry, but you lose.

Takao

Banned
donny2112 said:
GameFAQs lists the PS2 and PSP version as mid-January, and Amazon has them both at the end of January.

PSP version was delayed because they're settling the rights to get it on the PSN, right?

I'm not holding my breath...

MiniDitka

Had one of the most terrifying and panic inducing moments in my gaming experiences earlier today. When those little bastards come after you in packs they don't mess around :lol

Ridley327

brandonh83 said:
Everyone. Whoever. Get the crow going. I'm starving.

214xt1l.jpg

MiniDitka

NintendosBooger said:
What the hell, stuck already. Someone tell me where the second key to the second locked door is located (the one in the playground)
Not sure if this is the one you're talking about
It's in one of the cans in the back of the truck

Top Bottom