• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

MYE

Heres my copy. Posted this on the pick-up thread

2a69yfo.jpg

Goddam this game is sweet :D

The nightmare sequences really freak me the fuck out out.
I really hate that feeling of being stalked and did i find myself saying "oh shit not now, NOT NOW" out loud whenever the world switches :lol

...and tapping down on the D-Pad....jesus lol

I'm still at the
High-school after hacking the computer with that sexy singing chick...and the world just turned all icy arghhh

I really want a follow up :(

Sadist

So I forgot I bought a copy of SH III (for PC) several years ago and I can finally play it. (Thanks to my new computer, yay!) Enjoying this one as well.

Mr_Zombie

SlipperySlope said:
She mentioned "Is he dead?" about half way through the game. I countered by saying how is he then talking to other people

That's the thing I still don't really understand about the game.
If Harry is only Cheryl's delusion, what about other characters that he is interacting with? The sexy Dalhia, of course, is based on Harry's wife and also exists only in Cheryl's mind. But Cybil - a cop who is trying to help Harry and in the end tells him that he's dead? Micheal that has her own problems with her boyfriend? The couple that lives in Harry's old house? And Lisa, poor Lisa, that dies because of overdose or taking the wrong pill?
Why would Cheryl think about all those people?

And it's great that you made your mom play the game, and she liked it. Unfortunately, my parents still think that "games are waste of time" and "are for kids only" :(

kizmah

WOW! Just finished the game and I am completely blown away. So engaging, creepy and creative. And the ending was absolutely amazing. Craving a mature title on Wii? You owe yourself to play this. It's that simple. But if you are easily scared do yourself a favour and don't press down on the d-pad during nightmares.

Loonz

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is an absolutely fantastic game, really well done, not only from a technical point of view (which is great, the Wii version at least) but from the emotional one. The story and its final resolution are top notch.

I would even say that this game's gameplay it's perfectly crafted to convey the story, the loneliness
and the feeling of guilt
that's been tried to be portrayed along the whole playthrough. At first I felt terribly disoriented and annoyed during the chase sequences, but if you come to think about it, that's how you're supposed to feel in those: distressed due to the lack of defense, and your only option being to run away from the monsters.

There are a lot of wonderful subtleties and nuances related to the characters and the situations they're in I know I will enjoy interpreting in subsequent playthroughs, and that's something (sadly) rare to say about any game nowadays. That's the reason why for me SH: SM it's up there with SH2 as the 2 best games the SH saga has offered us to date. I know I won't forget this experience easily: it's THAT GOOD.

Sadist

Mr_Zombie said:
That's the thing I still don't really understand about the game.
If Harry is only Cheryl's delusion, what about other characters that he is interacting with? The sexy Dalhia, of course, is based on Harry's wife and also exists only in Cheryl's mind. But Cybil - a cop who is trying to help Harry and in the end tells him that he's dead? Micheal that has her own problems with her boyfriend? The couple that lives in Harry's old house? And Lisa, poor Lisa, that dies because of overdose or taking the wrong pill?
Why would Cheryl think about all those people?

And it's great that you made your mom play the game, and she liked it. Unfortunately, my parents still think that "games are waste of time" and "are for kids only" :(
Cheryl had her fair share of problems before consulting a shrink, couldn't Cybill be a manifestation of her run-inns with the law? (Looking at those text messages) Michelle could be a friend from highschool. Still don't know about Lisa though.

Sadist said:
Cheryl had her fair share of problems before consulting a shrink, couldn't Cybill be a manifestation of her run-inns with the law? (Looking at those text messages) Michelle could be a friend from highschool. Still don't know about Lisa though.

I think the same thing. I think some of them are people she used to know, warped to fit her delusion. Not a single one of those people actually act like a real person would in that situation. The town is totally uninhabitable.

So while some of them may be loosely based on real people (and one definitely on a real person), functionally they're all manifestations of Cheryl's delusion. The things they do. The things they say. All of that is what's going through Cheryl's head. Like when you first meet Michelle. She's singing "You're always on my mind" to you. To Cheryl, Harry is always on her mind.

There's also two separate instances with two separate characters where they say they always fall for somebody who looks like their father. Again, that's because Cheryl herself fell for somebody who looks like her father (her teacher looks like Harry. I originally thought it actually was Harry).

So basically, they're all there because Cheryl wants to tell you something. And that's the best route that she can get her thoughts to you, she believes. At least that's my thoughts. Could be wrong :D

pakkit

Banned
Lisa is one of the characters in Cheryl's childhood, probably a friend of Harry's wife or just Harry. In one of the endings, Harry cheats on his wife with Lisa. I think the sexual tension between Lisa and Harry is a reflection of real life sexual tensions Cheryl could sense between them, and the ending expands on whether or not Harry took advantage.

mantidor

SlipperySlope said:
So basically, they're all there because Cheryl wants to tell you something. And that's the best route that she can get her thoughts to you, she believes. At least that's my thoughts. Could be wrong :D

the great thing about the game is that I don't think you can be wrong no matter how you interpret things.

I have two theories, one, absolutely everything is in Cheryl's head, including Cybil, and the bits that put you out like the school, the messages, what Cybil says about Harry being dead, etc, are the therapy working into breaking Cheryl's delusions.

Second, only Harry and Dahlia are not real, and Cheryl's mental issues are so big (plus the town itself has it's weird energies) that both of them manifest in the real world, interacting with all these people. Actually, it would be only Harry, because Dahlia doesn't interact with anyone.

For both scenarios, the nightmares and creatures are Cheryl's psyche trying to stop breaking the illusion that her father is alive and looking for her, because they happen exactly when some kind of undeniable evidence or event will show the truth, and Cheryl can't have this fantasy destroyed.

pakkit said:
Lisa is one of the characters in Cheryl's childhood, probably a friend of Harry's wife or just Harry. In one of the endings, Harry cheats on his wife with Lisa. I think the sexual tension between Lisa and Harry is a reflection of real life sexual tensions Cheryl could sense between them, and the ending expands on whether or not Harry took advantage.

On that thought, Michelle is also one of the women in that ending.

mantidor said:
the great thing about the game is that I don't think you can be wrong no matter how you interpret things.

I have two theories, one, absolutely everything is in Cheryl's head, including Cybil, and the bits that put you out like the school, the messages, what Cybil says about Harry being dead, etc, are the therapy working into breaking Cheryl's delusions.

Second, only Harry and Dahlia are not real, and Cheryl's mental issues are so big (plus the town itself has it's weird energies) that both of them manifest in the real world, interacting with all these people. Actually, it would be only Harry, because Dahlia doesn't interact with anyone.

For both scenarios, the nightmares and creatures are Cheryl's psyche trying to stop breaking the illusion that her father is alive and looking for her, because they happen exactly when some kind of undeniable evidence or event will show the truth, and Cheryl can't have this fantasy destroyed.

Regarding the nightmares hiding the truth, the one nightmare I can't figure out that fits that hypothesis is the forest one. Harry wasn't about to learn the truth when that one started. If anything it leads him to the truth (leads him to the high school).

Come to think of it, same goes for the first nightmare. That leads him to his house, where he learns he doesn't live there anymore and the old couple have been there for years.

The girlfriend and I just finished this thang. We both agree that it was fucking awesome, definitely the best Silent Hill since number 2.

The twist with Cheryl being the patient was awesome, simple as that. We got the "good" ending on the first run and now we are going through again role playing as Cheryl during the therapy sessions, there is a lot of "What would Cheryl say?" involved :lol

NinajHeartless said:
I am a pussy....
When we first booted it up, I was all "This means something horrible will happen to her", Now that we've beaten it, that shit just makes me sad. I usually walk out of the room to avoid maaaad depression. Poor Harry! Poor Cheryl! Poor everyone involved!

Yeah, it's sad. It's the last time she can remember in which she was happy.

It's interesting that even the question of "why does this video keep repeating...?!?!??!?!?!" at the begging of the game ends up getting answered.

Come to think of it, I can remember the last time I was happy. It was in January, 2004. Didn't last very long however. No, I'm not kidding.

mantidor

SlipperySlope said:
Regarding the nightmares hiding the truth, the one nightmare I can't figure out that fits that hypothesis is the forest one. Harry wasn't about to learn the truth when that one started. If anything it leads him to the truth (leads him to the high school).

Come to think of it, same goes for the first nightmare. That leads him to his house, where he learns he doesn't live there anymore and the old couple have been there for years.

I read that different, that Harry was going to a house that was no longer his or his family, so the nightmare was set to prevent him to get there. I can't recall how the forest one starts, but I guess is associated to what happened to Cheryl in the forest.

I need to replay it again, the forest part has a lot of subtext but in the first run I didn't pay much attention.

mantidor said:
I read that different, that Harry was going to a house that was no longer his or his family, so the nightmare was set to prevent him to get there. I can't recall how the forest one starts, but I guess is associated to what happened to Cheryl in the forest.

I need to replay it again, the forest part has a lot of subtext but in the first run I didn't pay much attention.

The forest one starts when you enter a building and a shadow girl gets up, screams, and runs out the door. The area then ices over.

mantidor said:

Yeah same here, second playthroughs of the game seem pretty necessary, there is so much crazy stuff to find!

BARKSTAR

Banned
Just finished this for the third time tonight. What a great experience. Will play it once more then call it a day i think. It's great how after it all fits together you really pay attention to the subtle parts scattered throughout the game.

I really hope this does well enough so that Climax get another shot at surprising us again.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Now that I'm up to the car-under-water part of Heavy Rain... it makes me appreciate the work Climax did even more. Kudos to Climax for Heavy Raining before Heavy Rain Heavy Rain-ed.

Hopefully the success of that game will get more people interested in Shattered Memories, since they are pretty much the same type of game just maximized for each system. Bril-liant-work.

John Harker said:
Now that I'm up to the car-under-water part of Heavy Rain... it makes me appreciate the work Climax did even more. Kudos to Climax for Heavy Raining before Heavy Rain Heavy Rain-ed.

Hopefully the success of that game will get more people interested in Shattered Memories, since they are pretty much the same type of game just maximized for each system. Bril-liant-work.

The gal and I are going to write a letter to the Climax and crew, congratulating them on making an awesome game. We're gonna make sure to send them a flashlight too, just in case they ever get into car crashes in Silent Hill :lol
This game deserves so much more recognition then it received upon release. A damn damn shame.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Roger Ebert said:
I am prepared to believe that video games can be elegant, subtle, sophisticated, challenging and visually wonderful. But I believe the nature of the medium prevents it from moving beyond craftsmanship to the stature of art. To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers. That a game can aspire to artistic importance as a visual experience, I accept. But for most gamers, video games represent a loss of those precious hours we have available to make ourselves more cultured, civilized and empathetic.

Roger Ebert said:
What I should have said is that games could not be high art, as I understand it.

Roger Ebert said:
How do I know this? How many games have I played? I know it by the definition of the vast majority of games. They tend to involve (1) point and shoot in many variations and plotlines, (2) treasure or scavenger hunts, as in "Myst," and (3) player control of the outcome. I don't think these attributes have much to do with art; they have more in common with sports.

Roger Ebert said:
the real question is, do we as their consumers become more or less complex, thoughtful, insightful, witty, empathetic, intelligent, philosophical (and so on) by experiencing them?

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the one game I would show Ebert to try and open his view of video games. It to me signifies gaming as an art-form more then any other. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories uses the formula of gaming to further convey it's message, instead of letting the nature of gaming hindering the message, and in no way could that message have been conveyed so strongly in any other "art-form". The way it is done is quite brilliant I have to say.

Your controlling a memory of Cheryls. A memory that is fighting to still exist within Cheryl's head. A memory that can and will change by your mood, knowledge, view-point, understanding of events, etc (perfectly portrayed by the way you interact with the environment in Silent Hill and and the doctor) . But, what you do choose to do does not change the overall message the developer attended to send, instead it just makes the memory your fighting with even more authentic as in memories will and do change on the fly.

It uses the formula of gaming as a tool to make the experience and message even more real, thought-provoking, and connected to the gamer. Other games have tried this, but none have been as successful at it as SH:SM. And every thing from the exploration, wiimote, flashlight control, logs within the game, etc. is all used to even better portray that message the developer was trying to get out there.

And at the end your sitting there, finally figuring out that you have been Cheryl the whole time, trying to erase this memory out of your head (with the help of the doctor) that you can't (and kinda don't want to) get rid of. So this fake memory is running through your head, trying to connect itself to other memories to signify it is indeed real. But, your constantly attempting to get it out (with the nightmare zones) and keep it away from what is really real. You realize the whole time you have been fighting yourself within your head, partly trying to keep this memory, while at the same time trying to get rid of it.

It's as abstract and sad (but strangely beautiful) as you can get.

I feel Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the first game that covers all doubts Ebert has about gaming. Just my opinion anyways. :D

Mael

Well I gotta say...
first....Who the hell did what with the layout here?
second,
Something lead me to think the game may not bomb as hard as anyone might come to expect,
I mean the game is coming for ps2 and Wii (let's ignore psp here), meaning that the budget for both projects actually shares some assets,
third the game is budget priced here, or close to, meaning they don't expect people to fork 70 quids for it so I guess someone did some kind of market research here...

I would laugh so hard if the budget of that game was lower than stuff like Alone in the dark (especially since they botched everything in that game).

Now just discovering Uncharted 2 and I'm stunned to say that I'm actually recalling having more fun in the action sequences in this game than in gorgeous Uncharted (seriously even if your screen is the size of a post stamp it's still fucking gorgeous).
I guess the streamlining of the battle mechanic actually worked in SM :D

mantidor

Mael said:
(seriously even if your screen is the size of a post stamp it's still fucking gorgeous).

err... I didn't understand the post at all, but with this part I think is the other way around, the larger the screen the uglier it gets, thats why small gifs of any game look so beautiful.

And about Ebert, games for him and many other people are intimidating and frustrating, simply unaccessible, and usually with art you just have to take minimal effort to get into it, even if it requires some effort and knowledge to truly understand it or enjoy it, so back then I understood his position. With a console like the wii these barriers can break down more easily though.

Mael

mantidor said:
err... I didn't understand the post at all, but with this part I think is the other way around, the larger the screen the uglier it gets, thats why small gifs of any game look so beautiful.

Me said:
gorgeous Uncharted (seriously even if your screen is the size of a post stamp it's still fucking gorgeous)

In that part I was referring to Uncharted 2, that game is the most beautiful game I've played seen yet, it's really THAT beautiful.
The gunplay however...>.>
I really hate the whole dual analog stuff....

My posts are totally understandable without anything between theses marks '('')'
and generally I put stuff in parantheses that directly referes to the stuff just before.

So no SM is not prettier than Uncharted2, not by a shot as wide as the Atlantic ocean, that doesn't mean it's crap though.

To appreciate Silent Hill: SM fully, you have to complete the game. Frankly, I have doubts Ebert would be able to complete the game. For people not used to it, analog/pointer to control movement, similar to keyboard/mouse, still takes people time to get used to. Not nearly as long as dual analog, but there is still a learning curve.

That, combined with the nightmares, and I think he'd give up. He'd have to do something similar to what I did most likely. He'd do the exploration parts, somebody else would do the nightmares while he watched.

Another potential issue is attention span. He is geared for a 3-hour max attention span. He may have an issue with an experience that lasts 6-7 hours.

MYE

SlipperySlope said:
To appreciate Silent Hill: SM fully, you have to complete the game. Frankly, I have doubts Ebert would be able to complete the game. For people not used to it, analog/pointer to control movement, similar to keyboard/mouse, still takes people time to get used to. Not nearly as long as dual analog, but there is still a learning curve.

That, combined with the nightmares, and I think he'd give up. He'd have to do something similar to what I did most likely. He'd do the exploration parts, somebody else would do the nightmares while he watched.

Another potential issue is attention span. He is geared for a 3-hour max attention span. He may have an issue with an experience that lasts 6-7 hours.

He could watch it on youtube.

Oh, another problem with Ebert.

To fully appreciate a game, you have to do a replay. So extend that 6-7 hours to 12-14 hours.

And how often does he do a movie review after he's already seen it more than once? The only cases I can think of are LTTP cases.

Regardless, I'd like him to give his thoughts on the game after a full play through.
I expect a lot of confusion out of him though. We have the benefit of visiting gaming forums to put pieces of the game together. Think back to play through #1. Just after completing it, before reading up on message boards. There were a lot of things you simply didn't get. At least that's what happened to me.

"What about the characters Harry was talking to?" "Was any of it real?" "If so, what?" IMO there hasn't been anything like this game in ANY medium since The 6th Sense. And there's lots more to the storyline to this game than the 6th Sense. You learn a lot more about the main character (remember, in 6th sense, the main character was the kid). I knew a lot more about Cheryl than the kid in the 6th Sense. And frankly, Cheryl is a lot more relatable. We've all experience loss. The guilt surrounding it. And many of us have been in complete denial about that loss. Some to the point of having dreams where the lost one is still alive. I'm one of them.

While not as severe, all of us have been at least partially in her shoes.

MYE said:
He could watch it on youtube.

And get bored out of his mind. It's better to experience it yourself. Figuring out the puzzles. The running shadows. Reading the messages (which the youtube videos tend to skip). Exploring the world.

Mael

SlipperySlope said:
And get bored out of his mind. It's better to experience it yourself. Figuring out the puzzles. The running shadows. Reading the messages (which the youtube videos tend to skip). Exploring the world.

That cannot be quoted enough, looking and playing is really totally different with this game,
something as simple as the way to open a door is really something
AND that is despite the fact that the innovative way of opening the doors is USELESS when you have any threat AT ALL.
If you're in a nightmare you'll just run through the doors and run as fast as you can (at least I did).
It's a very weird experience when you dread opening a door in a place you KNOW you risk absolutely nothing, and the safer you think you are the more you dread opening it.
This game is the second where I'd go against the consensus :
the scary parts are not the nightmares by a long fucking shot, actually I was always kinda releaved when I reached any part of the icy world, because I knew that I wouldn't be subject to the creepyness seeping through the town.
Seriously it's like you're in a ghost town after a mass murder and I'm pretty sure there was one that we never see (well at least before I got the ending that showed that I was actually a memory). I mean it's like visiting hell when everyone that should be there is actually taking a day off at the beach, you see all the evil machinery and stuff you've got no idea why it's there and you imagine what kind of horror it could be (when it's actually the butler's stapler and by that I mean just a regular old fucking stapler with nothing evil in it).
That game really unsettled me way more than it should have.

I don't know if there's any spoiler so I blank it out

Mr_Zombie

Mael said:
That cannot be quoted enough, looking and playing is really totally different with this game,

I was watching the game on YouTube (don't have Wii and none of my friends have one, so that was my only way to experience the game) and I must say that the first couple of hours,
until Harry met Michelle
, were boring as hell;
also, back then I did not understand what all those memos a ghosts meant and thought those were just random "scary" shit. However, after the meeting with Michelle, and especially after Dahlia's first appearance, the game was a constant roller coaster and I just couldn't stopped watching it :lol

But yeah, I bet that playing the game, when it is you (me) who decide what to do, what to look at, and it is your (mine) psyche profile that is created, is much more compelling.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
SlipperySlope said:
Oh, another problem with Ebert.

To fully appreciate a game, you have to do a replay. So extend that 6-7 hours to 12-14 hours.

And how often does he do a movie review after he's already seen it more than once? The only cases I can think of are LTTP cases.

Regardless, I'd like him to give his thoughts on the game after a full play through.
I expect a lot of confusion out of him though. We have the benefit of visiting gaming forums to put pieces of the game together. Think back to play through #1. Just after completing it, before reading up on message boards. There were a lot of things you simply didn't get. At least that's what happened to me.

"What about the characters Harry was talking to?" "Was any of it real?" "If so, what?" IMO there hasn't been anything like this game in ANY medium since The 6th Sense. And there's lots more to the storyline to this game than the 6th Sense. You learn a lot more about the main character (remember, in 6th sense, the main character was the kid). I knew a lot more about Cheryl than the kid in the 6th Sense. And frankly, Cheryl is a lot more relatable. We've all experience loss. The guilt surrounding it. And many of us have been in complete denial about that loss. Some to the point of having dreams where the lost one is still alive. I'm one of them.

While not as severe, all of us have been at least partially in her shoes.

Needing a replay for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is only a matter of an opinion. I think it stands pretty well on it's self with one, but of course another could help (or worsen) your understanding of the gamer. It just matters on who the game is.

And Ebert is a smart guy and does what he thinks is necessary to get the full effect of what he is reviewing. For example, many think you need two viewings of Memento to fully understand what happened. I agree, but Ebert sees it in a different light:

Roger Ebert on Memento said:
Nolan's device of telling his story backward, or sort of backward, is simply that--a device. It does not reflect the way Leonard thinks. He still operates in chronological time, and does not know he is in a time-reversed movie. The film's deep backward and abysm of time is for our entertainment and has nothing to do with his condition. It may actually make the movie too clever for its own good. I've seen it twice. The first time, I thought I'd need a second viewing to understand everything. The second time, I found that greater understanding helped on the plot level, but didn't enrich the viewing experience. Once is right for this movie. Confusion is the state we are intended to be in.

Which makes perfect sense, so I understand both view points. At least he did go out of his way to watch it twice before he published his review.

And I think Ebert could hold his own with Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. He has played video games before, just not many. And Silent Hill: Shattered Memories isn't too complicated or heavy on needing to control the game well. It's just mostly about exploring the world and unraveling the story. The only parts he might have trouble with is (like you said) the nightmare zones, and somebody could help him with that, maybe point him in the right direction or something.

cvxfreak

I just began playing the game on the Wii. The controls do take a bit of getting used to, and I hate the door-opening sequences. The visuals do look very nice, actually, although I don't like the noise filter they've applied. I wonder if it can be disabled post-game.

Kevtones

cvxfreak said:
I just began playing the game on the Wii. The controls do take a bit of getting used to, and I hate the door-opening sequences. The visuals do look very nice, actually, although I don't like the noise filter they've applied. I wonder if it can be disabled post-game.

The chase scenes? I think the door opening mechanic in this game is absolutely awesome outside of the ice world. It's somewhat pointless but it's a pretty ingenius little deal.

Jucksalbe

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
I've been avoiding this thread to avoid being spoilered so forgive me if this has been asked before: does anyone know if the German version is censored in any way?

It's not. There's no gore in this game.

MYE

Gonna try and find time to finish it this weekend. Its been awesome so far :D

SlipperySlope said:

I was joking :p

Rafaelcsa

Yep, one of the best games of the generation, no doubt. It's a shame it won't get the attention it deserves just because it's on the Wii, when mediocre games on other systems are hyped to death.

About Ebert's quotes, a game like Mario Galaxy gives me a sense of euphoria and pure joy that I can not understand not considering it "art". But then again, my definition of art includes anything man created with the intention of getting an emotional response from people. And games do that to me, very much. I'm sure Ebert defines art more on the intellectual grounds, so I doubt he'll understand it. I'd also consider the game system/design of puzzle or shmup games as art themselves.

Something like SH:SM should be much easier for someone outside of the gaming world to comprehend, though. I'd really like to see his reaction on it, though I also don't see him being able to pass the nightmare sequences.

ivysaur12

Banned
Rafaelcsa said:
Yep, one of the best games of the generation, no doubt. It's a shame it won't get the attention it deserves just because it's on the Wii, when mediocre games on other systems are hyped to death.

Do we have any info on how it's doing sales wise?

ivysaur12 said:
Do we have any info on how it's doing sales wise?
Tapped out at 50k in America, last I heard.

Don't imagine it did better anywhere else.

The PS2 and PSP versions may have brought the whole thing up to 65k at best.

Mael

ShockingAlberto said:
Tapped out at 50k in America, last I heard.

Don't imagine it did better anywhere else.

The PS2 and PSP versions may have brought the whole thing up to 65k at best.

At what price is it selling on Wii?

Top Bottom