• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

I don't know that Hanneman is as completely incompetent as some of you are making him out to be. That little twist over the "show check" and his reveal that Pied Piper would not receive lump financing and would, instead, only receive checks every two weeks once they figured out their burn rate demonstrated a level of shrewdness that his brash personality normally keeps completely covered up. He made a really hard deal with Richard because he knew Richard had no leverage to negotiate. As part of that deal he received two seats on the board, the "loan" will convert to an equity stake in the company if Pied Piper fails to meet certain milestones, and he's limited his financial outlay by distributing the check over time rather than in one lump sum. That's a great deal for Hanneman.

That's true. I've just gotten the idea that he's planning to suck Pied Piper dry with his penny ante schemes ("Synergy!"), or that he is sincere about it and doesn't see how it will hurt the company. That's the kind of vision I'd expect from a man who went from 1.2B to 1.4B in mere decades (also assuming that this wasn't a lie).

The one thing I'm looking forward to with Henneman is his interactions with Gavin. If Erlich can get under Gavin's skin so easily think what this guy can do. We've already seen it start with the billboards, which I think will end up playing out well for Pied Piper in the end.

They also put up a real billboard off of highway 101 near Palo Alto:

LcyOj9r.jpg

lollo

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That's true. I've just gotten the idea that he's planning to suck Pied Piper dry with his penny ante schemes ("Synergy!"), or that he is sincere about it and doesn't see how it will hurt the company. That's the kind of vision I'd expect from a man who went from 1.2B to 1.4B in mere decades (also assuming that this wasn't a lie).
I agree. I haven't quite decided if he has bad intentions for Pied Piper or if his competence really does extend just far enough to negotiate a great contract.

nel e nel

I don't know that Hanneman is as completely incompetent as some of you are making him out to be. That little twist over the "show check" and his reveal that Pied Piper would not receive lump financing and would, instead, only receive checks every two weeks once they figured out their burn rate demonstrated a level of shrewdness that his brash personality normally keeps completely covered up. He made a really hard deal with Richard because he knew Richard had no leverage to negotiate. As part of that deal he received two seats on the board, the "loan" will convert to an equity stake in the company if Pied Piper fails to meet certain milestones, and he's limited his financial outlay by distributing the check over time rather than in one lump sum. That's a great deal for Hanneman.

I agree. I haven't quite decided if he has bad intentions for Pied Piper or if his competence really does extend just far enough to negotiate a great contract.

Yes to all of this, as well as the whole "don't show a profit!" spiel towards the end of the episode.

http://i.imgur.com/Ug4bP6r.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the location in the background of the last episode (Season 2, Episode 3) but that's Playa Vista. This is especially interesting because Playa Vista (located minutes away from LAX) is currently heralded as "Silicon Beach" and rumored to be one of Google's new hq.[/QUOTE]

I actually work at an ad agency in Playa Vista. That building in the background holds offices for EA and SpaceX, and youtube is just down the street, so it makes sense that Google would buy a large swath of land just down the street. There's been a ton of development over the last year alone. They've built a monster row of apartments/condos and a center with a whole foods, Cinemark, Cvs, and a bunch of shopping and restaurants for the upcoming wave of residents.

The bio section on the Pied Piper website is hilarious!

Here is Gilfoyle's :
BERTRAM GILFOYLE
Systems Architect, Co-CTO
McGill. MIT. EFF. 666Chan.

I put the “security” in network security. Who watches the watchmen? That would be me, mother**cker.

In 2011 Gilfoyle replaced the homepage of the Federal Reserve with the cover of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere (paperback edition). It took them a week to get it down. You’re welcome. He has played drums in various Toronto-area first-wave-DC-influenced hardcore, thrashcore, hatecore, corecore and corehard outfits under the name Strychnine McTwat. In fact, he has been asked to leave some of the most influential bands in the Toronto scene, including Piss Nazis, the Scumtones and Das Abortions.

Non serviam.

glaw52

This season has been pretty enjoyable so far. Gilfoyle absolutely kills me, best character by far.

By the way, did anyway figure out the credit music from this episode?

The bio section on the Pied Piper website is hilarious!

Here is Gilfoyle's :
BERTRAM GILFOYLE
Systems Architect, Co-CTO
McGill. MIT. EFF. 666Chan.

I put the “security” in network security. Who watches the watchmen? That would be me, mother**cker.

In 2011 Gilfoyle replaced the homepage of the Federal Reserve with the cover of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere (paperback edition). It took them a week to get it down. You’re welcome. He has played drums in various Toronto-area first-wave-DC-influenced hardcore, thrashcore, hatecore, corecore and corehard outfits under the name Strychnine McTwat. In fact, he has been asked to leave some of the most influential bands in the Toronto scene, including Piss Nazis, the Scumtones and Das Abortions.

Non serviam.

Haha, the disclaimer at the bottom of the page is great too:

The old Pied Piper “flute player” logo was referencing the fairy-tale character and in no way was meant to suggest a sexual act involving either the mouth or ear of the figure depicted. Apologies to any who were offended, and the logo has been changed to our current green “PP”!

Alpende

From the website

Born in Islamabad, Dinesh became a naturalized citizen in 2010, unlike Gilfoyle, who was an illegal Canadian alien until quite recently and is a piece of garbage

lol

Joe

i havent really followed the thread but are we all in agreement that jared is the best character?

New episode tonight:
The Lady

Richard butts heads with Erlich over a prospective hire; Dinesh and Gilfoyle grow suspicious that a new employee is receiving a higher salary; Big Head gets a promotion; Monica and Richard are outvoted at a board meeting.

Epcott

New episode tonight:

Oh yes, I love Sundays. So much good:
GOT, The Last Man on Earth, Bobs Burgers, and SV.

I like Russ Hanneman, he is absolutely crazy, like Wolf of Wallstreet crazy. I just hope they don't keep him around for the entire season, I could see myself getting tired of the guy.

Also, I had no idea Christopher Evan Welch, who played Peter Gregory, actually passed away :(

Tripon

Yeah, Hannenan just fucked over Pied Piper.

ryan299

When did you learn to speak German? lol

Also this is the release on piedpiper.com for the new girl.

Hello readers!

This is probably our biggest announcement to date: We have a new employee, who is also a woman: Carla Walton!

Carla was hired because she was the best female candidate for the job, not because she was a woman—although being a woman made her uniquely qualified and will allow her to bring her unique female experiences and perspective to building Pied Piper’s streaming capabilities with vp9 and p2p, as a female programmer who happens to be a woman.

So far no “haters” have come forward and done any “hating” about this hire, which should in no way be controversial, but if any are thinking about it, I’ll just say this: Carla will be performing her duties just as well as a man could…maybe even better, who knows???

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Episode was funny, but I did feel like it didn't fully advance the plot.

The new coder fucking with Denesh and Gilfoyle was amazing though.

Another great episode! New employee seems like she's gonna have great chemistry with Dinesh and Gilfoyle. Next week's preview already looking like another winner.

mre

Episode was funny, but I did feel like it didn't fully advance the plot.

The new coder fucking with Denesh and Gilfoyle was amazing though.
Weren't people bitching after last week that the previous episodes were too focused on advancing the plot?

royalan

Great episode, this season's been pretty on point.

But I actually hated the new programmer. Thought she was pretty fucking obnoxious.

Haha! Prolly my fave episode since the first one. That programmer chick is awesome. Felt kinda sorry for
Original Jared
though, awww

1. I really love Hannerman. Like, love love. He's so much more on point with all the douchebag VCs and startup founders out there.
2. The new coder is awesome. She plays a great straight woman, which may or may not be better than a straight man.
3. I really wish Richard and Monica would hook up already. Or does Mike Judge just want there to be unresolved sexual tension between those two until the series ends.
4. Do people find the Jian Yang character kind of racist? Because it seems kind of racist.
5. I started reading Mike Judge's Wikipedia and found out he worked as a programmer on the F/A-18 fighter jet. That dude has amazing career arc.

D.Lo

Holy shit, amazing episode.

Absolutely knockout bit about gender equality policies actually being sexist.

mre

2. The new coder is awesome. She plays a great straight woman, which may or may not be better than a straight man.
Whoa, now. She plays a great straight actor. Mike Judge only wanted the greatest straight actor for the job, period. The actor who played that role had to be the most qualified person who auditioned. Of course, the fact that she is a woman actor is better, even though the fact that she is a woman is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom