• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good episode. I cracked up at that entire interviewing sequence particularly when the Cyborg showed up. There was just something about original Jared's expressions that kept killing me. Honestly I think he's my favourite character. His mannerisms never fail to crack me up. Glad the show has returned. I don't think I realised how much I missed it all this time and just how exceptionally good it was last time. Season 2 is starting out much stronger than season 1 IMO. It is following the same pattern as before (season 1 leading up to Tech Crunch and season 2 leading up to CES) but I think that's a good thing as that structure worked wonders last time.

So roll on next week. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes.

Good episode. Already love the new engineer.

LOL at baghead.

Would be fucking hilarious if they kept calling Jared, O.J., even though they didn't get the other Jared on board.

Oh man Jared Patackin aka JP from Grandma's Boy!

hah didn't notice that but it definitely seems like an homage now.

That was another solid episode I do wonder, when it eventually happens, who will be the one(s) who get fucked over if Pied Piper makes it big. Erich seems like he would be if anyone does though I don't want him to be... Mostly. But someone has to be the Ronald Wayne of the group, right?

EDIT: Oh yeah... "Cuntie" was a nickname my grand father gave my grand mother.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Good episode and the woman engineer is a solid addition and has good chemistry with the rest of them. This season is off to a better start than the first season was and I'm much more optimistic about the show's longevity now.

big ander

I really thought that was a wheel-spinner. One of those odd breather episodes of a tv comedy where there aren't too many jokes, and there are no big plot progressions, and most of the characters hang around in the background. Stage-setting for the second half of the season, which is fine, but this was so peculiarly not funny for Silicon Valley.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's three strikes in a row for me. This season just hasn't been doing it for me (outside of the premiere).

I actually hated the new programmer. Thought she was pretty fucking obnoxious.

Me too. I thought she was obnoxious, but without the benefit of being funny like the rest of the cast.

4. Do people find the Jian Yang character kind of racist? Because it seems kind of racist.

I'm surprised to see a character like him in an HBO series in 2015.

Garryk

Jared killed it this episode.

"Permission granted." *ecstatic smile*

"In my mind, OJ stands for Original Jared so I actually take it as a compliment."

chris121580

I really hope they don't continue going down this route with Big Head with the typical plot that he turns on his friends...if anything it'd be much better if it completely backfires on Hooli

Timbuktu

4. Do people find the Jian Yang character kind of racist? Because it seems kind of racist.

Not the character particularly, I had taken him as just one guy rather than a stereotype. I was offended by that line in the episode when they introduced the idiot billionaire guy, when he said "I spoke to someone on the phone, he's either Asian or retarded."

I know we aren't supposed to like him, but that seemed be there just trying to be funny by being a bit racist and knowing it's ok when it's against Asians. I guess in the same episode you also get a holocaust mention, so it's not a big deal relatively. It's an ok comedy, but not that progressive in race or gender, maybe that's just reflective of the setting.

Santiako

I really hope they don't continue going down this route with Big Head with the typical plot that he turns on his friends...if anything it'd be much better if it completely backfires on Hooli

There's no chance it doesn't backfire. He's just too incompentent.

Oh thats you pronounce that yogurt
...it's on the container:

689544081463.jpg

Not

Banned
Not the character particularly, I had taken him as just one guy rather than a stereotype. I was offended by that line in the episode when they introduced the idiot billionaire guy, when he said "I spoke to someone on the phone, he's either Asian or retarded."

I know we aren't supposed to like him, but that seemed be there just trying to be funny by being a bit racist and knowing it's ok when it's against Asians. I guess in the same episode you also get a holocaust mention, so it's not a big deal relatively. It's an ok comedy, but not that progressive in race or gender, maybe that's just reflective of the setting.

Yeah, what was that? Comparing accented English to cognitive deficit? Pretty lame.

New episode tonight:
Server Space

Gavin's interference causes Pied Piper to struggle with securing their expansion; Gilfoyle is tasked with building servers; Richard takes in Jared as a roommate; Big Head's management skills are questioned.

aku:jiki

Oh, yay, it's on today! I look forward to more good times with OJ and Erlich. Hopefully new programmer is less obnoxious going forward too.

Yeah, what was that? Comparing accented English to cognitive deficit? Pretty lame.
It was an established asshole/idiot character being an asshole/idiot. You guys are reaching.

EBCubs03

Banned

Satirizing reality is progressive. If it was just a genuine representation of reality then I would understand taking offense. But it's not

Timbuktu

Yepp. The fact that they're offended by it proves that the line was successful in building an impression of the character.

I do get that we aren't supposed to like this guy, but it just felt a bit of cheap shot when it's within twenty seconds of introducing the character.

Slacker

Another great episode and again Jared gets the best line, when he mentioned Bill Gates preventing people from recording his wedding was a positive because now you can picture it however you want. His constant reminding Richard of the bed wetting issue was hilarious too.

Deception

Another great episode and again Jared gets the best line, when he mentioned Bill Gates preventing people from recording his wedding was a positive because now you can picture it however you want. His constant reminding Richard of the bed wetting issue was hilarious too.
I lost it at this part lol too good.

Also the whole German sleep talking gag was hilarious. I love when Richard tells him I didn't know you spoke German and Jared is like "I don't" but with that slight nervous grin lol I hope there's a story behind that in the next few episodes.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So wait, Jared's been sleeping in the garage the whole time and no one ever noticed?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Russ Hanneman really reminds me of Razz Prince from Phoneshop. This is a good thing.

Arkeband

Banned
I also agree that this episode was probably one of the strongest of the entire series.

Dinesh fucking with the GPU's cracked me up. Any reason they went with AMD? Are they sponsors or is there a technical reason those would be good as server architecture?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I also agree that this episode was probably one of the strongest of the entire series.

Dinesh fucking with the GPU's cracked me up. Any reason they went with AMD? Are they sponsors or is there a technical reason those would be good as server architecture?

It's technical as I assume they based it off of Gilfoyle's bit minning rig which all the minners use AMD.

You can Google why this is so as it gets a bit technical.

Ke0

Gilfoyde was just sticking to what he knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom