• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

I also agree that this episode was probably one of the strongest of the entire series.

Dinesh fucking with the GPU's cracked me up. Any reason they went with AMD? Are they sponsors or is there a technical reason those would be good as server architecture?

As we're dealing with compression, it'll be based on its compute performance so they made a good choice with the AMDs. Usually better for that type of thing.

B33

Banned
My favorite line:

“I think we should dig our own well, build our own generator. I also think we should store years worth of food and ammunition in a blast cellar. But we don’t. So good luck when the shit hits the fan.”

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
From a comment in the AV Club's review:

bwrt • 22 minutes ago
Jared's German mumbling:

At 15:10: (1)"Nein, das ist was sie wollen. Aber wie können sie alle tot sein? Ich werde mich an ihn heranschleichen und ihm die Kehle aufschlitzen."

At 22:11 he shouts (2)"Nicht wiederstehen!" and then quietly says: (3)"Ich werde mich an ihn heranschleichen und ihm die Kehle aufschlitzen. Er würde mich nie kommen sehen." Next, he shouts: (4)"Stirb Mutti(not sure if I heard that one right), stirb! Geh in den Käfig, Schlampe!"

This translates to:

(1) "No, this is what they want. But how can they all be dead? *laughs* I will sneak up to him and slit his throat."

(2) "Do not resist!"

(3) "I will sneak up to him and slit his throat. He would never see me coming."

(4) "Die mommy, die! Get in the cage, b**ch!"
Pretty dark stuff.

jett

D-Member
I think they need to cool it with Jared's overall weirdness. He didn't use to be this strange before. Before he was stuck in a tanker anyway.

Leunam

Well there is some balance I think. He's always aware of the companies financial situation and what can and can't be reasonably done. He plays the role of responsible employee well and his weirdness is mostly contained to his time not on the clock, so to speak.

KevinG

Best episode so far this season. Laughed so hard during the old neighbor guy going all the way around the carport area and then followed immediately with Jerrod's German stuff for a second time.

Love it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Why AMD Radeon 7850s though?

Dogecoins.

Have to assume that could translate well to doing compression calculations, though I wonder if they could scale up like this to beat CPUs in latency.

I'm guessing they just have an advantage in smaller scale builds like this.

Denali

I watched this entire episode thinking that Noah was Will Wright making some brief acting appearance for who knows what reason.

Now that I look at pictures... I'm not sure what I was thinking.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I can't remember.....were people generally saying they didn't like the Elrich character when the show started? He's easily become one of the best parts of the show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think the implication is that he also sleeps in the nude, with no covers, facing up.

I guess, but when Richard knocked on his door late at night to tell him about the ferret, he pretty quickly opened the door and was wearing shorts, a tanktop, and his kimono.

KarmaCow

I can't remember.....were people generally saying they didn't like the Elrich character when the show started? He's easily become one of the best parts of the show.

He was pretty meh until he defended Richard and slapped the shit out of that kid. Then his role in the show made sense to me.

Stoze

I was one of those people...

...and I still don't like him very much, but he's not ruining the show for me or anything. Angry, over-confident Napoleon Dynamite dosen't do it for me, neither do his back and forth hissy fits with Richard which have taken up most of his screen time.

I liked the scenes when he negged all those companies though.

big ander

The only character I'm not too fond of is Dinesh. He gets a little bit more annoying for every episode.

plus he's given less and less that's funny each episode, which is a damn shame because Kumail is hysterical. But every episode just has him being boringly insecure or something, never very clever.

Shaneus

I loved the server rack with Sun Microsystems crossed out in tape. They have some incredible attention to detail.
I noticed that yesterday when re-watching it with my girlfriend. Didn't it also say "No more" or something?

Had to look it up, but noticed Sun were shuttered/bought out in 2010. So the racks they're using are 5+ years old! Bahahahaha.

plus he's given less and less that's funny each episode, which is a damn shame because Kumail is hysterical. But every episode just has him being boringly insecure or something, never very clever.
Yeah, this has been the biggest disappointment during this season. And also Jared getting a little more scapegoaty too, like when in doubt, he's the fall guy for a punchline. Still love his character though.

lunchtoast

I guess, but when Richard knocked on his door late at night to tell him about the ferret, he pretty quickly opened the door and was wearing shorts, a tanktop, and his kimono.

I understood it as since he sleeps dick up, if Jared shares the bed with him, there's a chance his dick will be in Jared.

SYX3klU.gif

billeh

I noticed that yesterday when re-watching it with my girlfriend. Didn't it also say "No more" or something?

Had to look it up, but noticed Sun were shuttered/bought out in 2010. So the racks they're using are 5+ years old! Bahahahaha.

Yeah, this has been the biggest disappointment during this season. And also Jared getting a little more scapegoaty too, like when in doubt, he's the fall guy for a punchline. Still love his character though.
Hell, they had what, $70000 to build a datacenter on? Gotta scrape the bottom of the bargain bin.

norinrad

I guess am the only one happy to see the doc back? I have a feeling Noah and Jared are going to have a great time living together.

I crack up every time Erlich slips Aviato into a conversation. Something about the pronunciation and the fact that he never misses a chance to bring it up.

- EW: Silicon Valley producers on THAT monkey scene
Speaking of that guest performer, she’s no run-of-the-mill simian. Kiko is played by Katie, a 25-year-old female white-faced capuchin and is a Hollywood vet whose previous credits include Outbreak and… wait for it… okay, just wait a little longer because it’s really good…. FRIENDS. Yes, she was one of the two monkeys that played Marcel, friend of Ross! (“This is the second time I’ve worked with a Friends cast member,” says Judge who directed Office Space.) Wondering what kind of skill sets landed Katie the gig? “Katie was chosen because she can scratch her belly on command,” says Judge, “and from behind it looks like something else.”

To pull off the scene, Katie was fitted with green-screen gloves that went up to her shoulders so her arms could be removed in post-production and a motorized arm could be CGI’d in. In case you’re wondering, Katie—who was closely assisted by her trainer, who pretended to be a lab technician in the scene—handled the shoot with class and poise. “I just had this feeling Katie was going to flip out from all the meetings, but she did everything on command—nothing shocked her,” says Judge, quipping: “Katie was more of a pro than some of our cast.”

When she was brought back for a second day of filming to obtain another shot, “the trainer told me it was that time of the month for Katie and that she was a little cranky,” chuckles Judge. “That actually worked out well because we got some of the more animated stuff out of her.” The producers did have a little trouble getting her to do the throwing motion—you know, to simulate the hurling of feces—but, as Judge notes, it plays better off-screen with viewers only seeing a shot of her crap hitting the window. “The final version is a very restrained version of the scene,” says Berg. “We kept having these conversations during the edit where it’s like, ‘I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but less is more here.’”

Can't say I was a fan of the monkey scene tbh, felt really out of place.
I laughed and thought it was pretty funny. It wasn't on the level of a few other bits that they've done, but I like that vein of humor:
Opportunity finally struck in episode 5 with a visit to the Hooli XYZ labs, where the writers could mine humor from next-level blunder, similar to the Telehuman scene from season 1, in which Gavin tried to communicate in hologram form with Big Head but was thwarted by faulty technology. “Nothing is funnier than somebody who is super proud of something that’s unbelievably expensive and it doesn’t work,” notes Berg. Agrees Judge: “I loved the scene in the original Robocop where they’re demo-ing it and it just ends up killing people.” Of course, in this episode, “nobody really gets hurt,” says Judge. “In fact, the monkey feels much better.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom