• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

norinrad

Lol@those ex hooli employees. They got f**ked over again. That spiritual advisor sure is a crook though, got his premium parking space back. Hahaha

Effnine

The design guy's original presentation was the height of cringe, and that in a show already presenting a masterclass in cringe. He deserved all the shit Richard gave him.

Agreed. He was/is so full of himself that he had to be taken down a notch. I'm glad they kind of made up though when the team got into making the box.

That speech combined with the reveal that they hired all the same people back was comedy gold. This show is the best thing on TV right now.

"does he really not recognize us?"

"How long did you work here?"

"Seven Years, I invited him to my wedding"

This last episode was amazing. Erlich coughing was amazing too.

Santiako

Dang's bio in the site is a thing of beauty

eZdtxhD.png

ampere

Loving the new season so far. Jared had been the star of the season if you ask me.

He's a completely amazing character. I still can't get over how his name is not even Jared lol

And that "I pretend I'm my skeleton and my body is my home, so I'm always home!" sums him up so well.

deefol

Have the show creators ever said if Hooli is based on a real company? They seemed like Google at first, but I think Google has been mentioned a few times in the show, and Hooli is too much of a mess anyway. Is it supposed to be Yahoo?

I always thought hooli was Microsoft

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Have the show creators ever said if Hooli is based on a real company? They seemed like Google at first, but I think Google has been mentioned a few times in the show, and Hooli is too much of a mess anyway. Is it supposed to be Yahoo?
I'd say it's Google, or a more disfunctional version of it for the purposes of comedy. All the jokes are aimed squarely at it. Their search results. Their voice search. Their plucking from new age concepts (like how Google employees go to burning man). And it's in the Bay Area (Microsoft is Redmond)

Google has its own "messes" too. Buying companies then shutting them down 2 years later. Google Plus, etc.

^ and yeah, could be a fusion. It's just a stand in for "big tech company" anyway. There are even hints of Apple.

deefol

Considering the amount of defunct programs and R&D, I'd agree. Maybe a fusion of Microsoft and Google.

It's also find it endearing how Big Head keeps failing up.

Especially with the statement Belson made when he said Hooli was too focused on the inward. Its such a Microsoft thing to do

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
It's scary how accurate this show is lol

Has Mike judge quietly built up an all time great comedy resume? I mean how many bad movies/tv shows has he made? Seems like everything he's done has been funny.

It feels like a mix of Google and Oracle.

or Yahoo, before they stopped trying and failing. (now they don't try at all).

What I most love is those moments that stick it up the current tech shitscape we all live in. Like in this episode the full screen advert obscuring the page. "Gavin: you'll be able to skip it in 5 seconds" .. "Richard: uh, no this is one of those unskippable ones". and earlier the hologram chat with bighead that was buggy.

Robot Pants

Ok I'm back on board now. Not sure why I felt the way I did about the last episode, I even went back and watched it and was totally fine with it. Must have been my mood or something. Anyway, this episode was awesome especially erlich coughing

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Would be hilarious if Endframe gets corrupted by Hooli's business culture. They have the framework but Hooli just cant get out of its own way.

Is there an obscure reference buried in there?

Read the part as to why he uses his first name only, and read the names.

And yeah, when I think of Hooli, I think of Google. While it has had plenty of plunders, past and present, Microsoft doesn't really fit the image since it's definitely the most conventionally and openly corporate of the big tech companies, from how it presents itself to its internal culture, and, as said before, it's based out of the Seattle area.

They're a fictional/more evil Google. There's no one else they could be. (Saying that as a Google employee working in Silicon Valley.)

They are a search engine company located in Silicon Valley.

Microsoft is up in Washington State. Yahoo is not nearly as dominant. It's Google. Name makes it pretty clear.

danm999

It's scary how accurate this show is lol

Has Mike judge quietly built up an all time great comedy resume? I mean how many bad movies/tv shows has he made? Seems like everything he's done has been funny.

There was that series he did a while back skewering hippies that was pretty underwhelming but other than that I think his batting average is amazing.

Shaneus

I wonder if Jared is going to AirBnB his own apartment back from his tenant and then squat in it just like what happened to him.
Oh god yes, this has to happen. Jared taking back his apartment and Jack getting hired by and inadvertently destroying Hooli from the inside would be two great things to see in this show.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I always thought of Hooli as Microsoft because no one uses their search engine.

Clearly, they just borrow from tech culture in general.

jabuseika

Just started watching this.

As an engineer, I know all of these people... I might be a few of them... :\

Great writing.

So many little subtle jokes.

Polyphony

Everytime I see the Hooli and Nucleus logos, they remind me of Internet Explorer. Hooli Xyz also appears to be inspired by Google X.

Corpekata

Banned
Big Head's story seems made to give TJ Miller stuff to do, so I don't expect to see him involved with Pied Piper anytime soon, as at that point they'd need to invent another B plot for Erlich to go mess around in all episode because they clearly aren't going to fold him into the main plot very much.

Timbuktu

Big Head is gonna be the new CEO, isn't he?

I can see it going to Monica, but that would be a bit boring.

I don't always enjoy asians names being butt of jokes, feels a bit lazy but Dang isn't quite as bad as Dong in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

I can see it going to Monica, but that would be a bit boring.

I don't always enjoy asians names being butt of jokes, feels a bit lazy but Dang isn't quite as bad as Dong in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Even when they started calling Dong, Richard.

And the short form/nickname for Richard is Dick.

and Dick means Penis.

and Dong means Penis.

Alpende

I loved seeing Laurie finally standing up and firing Action Jack. Great to see how Big Head just turned his house into an incubator without knowing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom