• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truant

Just caught up with S3. Really surprised to see Henry from Henry's Kitchen as the server space guy. I really recommend his show, it's on YouTube.

El Daniel

Apparently Zach Woods (Jared) was on Colbert the other night.

He doesn't watch the show because he's self-conscious of his performance! I sort of understand, but man he's so amazing on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtxeyCATxY

I hate it when actors don't watch what they're in.

Samuel L Jackson on actors who say they don't like watching themselves

"That's bullshit! Actors that say, "I can't stand to watch myself", well if you can't stand to watch yourself then why the f*** do you expect someone to pay $13.50 to watch you?"

glad Jack is fired, didn't really find him funny

still sad they decided to make Laurie Peter Gregory 2.0 but eh she's a good enough actress that she sells it

was expecting Monica to be the new CEO for some reason

and yeah Jared is the best, the last quarter of s1 is still my favorite part of the show, partially due to sleep-challenged Jared

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm lucky enough to get to see Woods and Middleditch do improv pretty frequently.

Woods is a genius. His mind is incredible. It's so fast and he knows so much (maybe only Neil Casey - who has recently been on Veep and is the villain of the new ghostbusters - knows more random crap than Woods does).

Middleditch has so much crazy range. He does the weirdest stuff and commits to it so well.

Both are insanely insanely talented.

Ecto311

Where can I see this?

Middleditch is on the comedy bang bang podcast quite a bit and is usually 100x more silly than this show. I never knew of the guy really before this show but to hear him being a silly bastard is awesome. Hope he does more of it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Where can I see this?

Comedy Bang Bang and other podcasts have him on frequently.

In person he does improv at the UCB Theatre in LA and at the Largo theatre in LA. He and Ben Schwartz moved their Middleditch and Schwartz show to Largo (2-man improv) which was great, but it's 30 bucks now.

His most regular show is Tuesday Club at UCB but he's not always there.

Zach performs a lot, on Assssscat on Sat/Sunday, and in other things like Casey and Woods.

That speech combined with the reveal that they hired all the same people back was comedy gold. This show is the best thing on TV right now.

Honestly, that was some really solid writing with a subtle set up and pay off joke.

It's scary how accurate this show is lol

Has Mike judge quietly built up an all time great comedy resume? I mean how many bad movies/tv shows has he made? Seems like everything he's done has been funny.

Honestly, Mike Judge has made a few uneven movies, but none of them have been bad, IMO. They always have strong ideas and he is generally on point with his underlying social commentary.

Considering the amount of defunct programs and R&D, I'd agree. Maybe a fusion of Microsoft and Google.

Yeah, I think Hooli is suppose to be a amalgamation of many different big tech companies. They are mostly like Google, Microsoft and even a bit of Face Book. I would even say Yahoo for a bit of un-stability.

Gavin bringing in the bulldog just to make a point was hilarious. I want to believe he went out and bought it just for the speech, and then had an intern drop it off at a shelter.

This season is on fire. The bulldog scene and Erlich's coughing were fucking hilarious. I actually had to pause it during the Erlich's coughing fit because I was laughing so hard.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I actually had to pause it during the Erlich's coughing fit because I was laughing so hard.

zEFL8e9.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know this is dumb as hell, but plot question:

- In the last episode of Season 2, Raviga buys Hanneman's stake in Pied Piper. They get his two board seats.
- The board is: Laurie, Raviga 2, Monica, Erlich, and Richard
- Laurie, Raviga 2, and Monica vote to remove Richard as CEO.

- In the first episode of Season 3, Monica is apologizing to Richard about voting to remove him.
- She says "If I didn't vote to remove you, Laurie would have postponed the meeting, removed me, and replaced my seat on the board with someone else, then voted to fire you. At least this way I'm still on the inside."

But this doesn't make mathematical sense. If Monica voted no, Laurie could have fired Monica as employee of Raviga, but couldn't have removed her from the board. There are 5 seats and Raviga only has two (Laurie and whoever sits with her as Raviga 2). The third seat is Monica's in a personal capacity (she served on the board in a personal capacity throughout S1 and S2 after she was appointed by Richard). Then Erlich and Richard.

I mean, I get that Monica agrees with the vote, Richard clearly can't manage the company. Whatever. But I think that's a pretty shitty apology. If she had stuck by Richard, he'd still be CEO.

Misha

Banned
I know this is dumb as hell, but plot question:

- In the last episode of Season 2, Raviga buys Hanneman's stake in Pied Piper. They get his two board seats.
- The board is: Laurie, Raviga 2, Monica, Erlich, and Richard
- Laurie, Raviga 2, and Monica vote to remove Richard as CEO.

- In the first episode of Season 3, Monica is apologizing to Richard about voting to remove him.
- She says "If I didn't vote to remove you, Laurie would have postponed the meeting, removed me, and replaced my seat on the board with someone else, then voted to fire you. At least this way I'm still on the inside."

But this doesn't make mathematical sense. If Monica voted no, Laurie could have fired Monica as employee of Raviga, but couldn't have removed her from the board. There are 5 seats and Raviga only has two (Laurie and whoever sits with her as Raviga 2). The third seat is Monica's in a personal capacity (she served on the board in a personal capacity throughout S1 and S2 after she was appointed by Richard). Then Erlich and Richard.

I mean, I get that Monica agrees with the vote, Richard clearly can't manage the company. Whatever. But I think that's a pretty shitty apology. If she had stuck by Richard, he'd still be CEO.

I'm pretty sure the bolded is the issue. At the beginning of season 2 they mentioned that monica was going to vote for raviga's board seat (which i'm pretty sure was previously peter gregory's)

Richard: We'll go with Raviga if you guys go 10 million at 50 million valuation not 20 at 100.
I think this is more reasonable, and it's my final offer.
Take it or leave it.
Laurie: I was not anticipating this, but I think it will be workable from our end.
Richard: And one more thing Monica votes for Raviga's board seat.
Laurie: Certainly that seems unimportant.
Laurie: I will telephone your lawyer tomorrow, - and we can speak about the relevant details.
Richard: Good.
(names might be off there since the website I took the quotes from didn't list them)

and in season 3 episode 1 monica says that Laurie could take it from her

Monica said:
Richard, if I didn't vote to remove you, then Laurie would've adjourned the meeting, replaced my seat on the board with someone else at Raviga, and then they would've voted to remove you.

and here's a couple season 1 quotes about peter Gregory being on the board. (in the negotiations and such. can't remember where else they'd mention it)
That stuff you're signing gives you the convertible note for funding and establishes you and Peter Gregory as the board members of Pied Piper, incorporated in the State of Delaware.
-Gary! Namaste! Pied Piper incorporated amended board of directors.
-Richard Hendricks, Peter Gregory Erlich Bachman? Oh, my God.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh, so then Raviga always had 1 seat, Hanneman got 2, and Richard 2 (1 of which he appointed Erlich to). So Raviga ended up with 3 when they got Hanneman's share. That makes sense. It's not super clear to me why Raviga retained their seat during season 2 when they had no relationship with the company and it was Monica swinging by, but that clears hat up.

Misha

Banned
Oh, so then Raviga always had 1 seat, Hanneman got 2, and Richard 2 (1 of which he appointed Erlich to). So Raviga ended up with 3 when they got Hanneman's share. That makes sense. It's not super clear to me why Raviga retained their seat during season 2 when they had no relationship with the company and it was Monica swinging by, but that clears hat up.

I don't think Richard had 2. I think he just gave erlich one in the original negotiations. he probably would have removed erlich when he was siding with russ in season 2 if he actually owned the seat

Chittagong

Gold Member
That design guy was *amazing*. Such an accurate portrayal of a corporate designer, booking in "concept meetings" to look legit and professional, then hostinga workshop consisting of weird cool music and totally unrelated imagery to "find a shared visual vocabulary", and when all that has convinced you that this guy has to hot shit since he gets something you don't , he comes back with the most boring, uninspired, predictable design, and you realise that you aren't that dumb after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom