• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Where will Jian Yang stand if Erlich moves in with Bighead?

Edit: also isn't it inconsistent that Jack, the smart CEO, somehow agreed to a bad deal with the corporate customer?

Well the idea behind Jack is that he's a great short term CEO. He makes numbers happen. A mercenary for hire type CEO like him isn't going to be known for developing good long term business models.

CD'S BAR

Season 1 didn't really take off until the last few episodes. I would say this has been the most consistent and confident season of the show so far.

Interesting. I feel the first few with Peter Gregory were the best. The rest of 1 was good too, but damn did I miss him. Then season 2 just felt like filler/running in place. It seems this season they have a very clear story they want to tell, and there's never a dull moment as a result.

Kyuur

I find it amazing how the guru character has managed to stick around as long as he has. Dude can practically run Hooli.

Hjod

Banned
This show just keep getting better, Jareds lion story was so funny, combine that with Erlichs coughing fit and I almost died.

Ogodei

Busted out laughing at several points in this episode.

Bummed out that the skunk works being discovered wasn't "part of the plan" but the plot development in this episode was fantastic.

In the end Jack Barker dug his own grave, though I think he'll be back in some part to try and fuck up Pied Piper's plans.

He'll get hired at Endframe and make them build a box.

Edit, lol, didn't read the post ahead of me.

Meier

Jared is by far my favorite character (followed by Erlich). His tenant throwing his stuff out and using his place as an AirBNB destroyed me.

Jared is by far my favorite character (followed by Erlich). His tenant throwing his stuff out and using his place as an AirBNB destroyed me.

I wonder if Jared is going to AirBnB his own apartment back from his tenant and then squat in it just like what happened to him.

Meier

I googled the bulldog thing to try and find a video I could share since I loved that scene so much.. no luck yet, but these quotes at the end of the AV Club recap are all such high points that I'm laughing again just thinking about them.

“It’s funny: we’re named Pied Piper but we’re beset with rats!” -- I died. His good nature at all times is just the best
“Yes, it would be polite for you to invite me in and offer me a Push Pop!” -- I died again, the Push Pop part was fantastic
“The fact that it probably won’t make any difference makes it all the more meaningful.” -- Incredible, Jared's stories are amazing
“Also, I encourage you to click yes if the ad was helpful to you.” -- Exactly what someone like him would say

diaspora

Erlich coughing for like 10 minutes was almost as amazing as him cottoning on to the fact that Hooli put a value to the consumer platform.

Also, a playlists of the songs at the end of each episode is on Spotify.

Kelsdesu

Erlich coughing for like 10 minutes was almost as amazing as him cottoning on to the fact that Hooli put a value to the consumer platform.

Also, a playlists of the songs at the end of each episode is on Spotify.

Whomever is selecting the music at the end is a genius.

kiguel182

Man, Richard is such an asshole. Is hard to root for them when he is part of the team. Every episode I want the guy to succeed less and less.

Big Head's arc continues to be great.

sixghost

They capture the flailing declining big tech company very well in this show.

Also, I like how the crack Pied Piper sales staff had little to do with getting the deal for the box, outside of probably putting int he language that would have made themselves redundant by guaranteeing exclusive rights to the customer.

Have the show creators ever said if Hooli is based on a real company? They seemed like Google at first, but I think Google has been mentioned a few times in the show, and Hooli is too much of a mess anyway. Is it supposed to be Yahoo?

icespide

Banned
Have the show creators ever said if Hooli is based on a real company? They seemed like Google at first, but I think Google has been mentioned a few times in the show, and Hooli is too much of a mess anyway. Is it supposed to be Yahoo?

Hooli seems like a hilarious mix of Google, Apple, and Facebook

diaspora

Something different entirely, exists with existing tech companies while using elements of them.

Laurie saying "I did a goddamn thing about it" was incredible.

It feels like a mix of Google and Oracle.

Kyuur

Man, Richard is such an asshole. Is hard to root for them when he is part of the team. Every episode I want the guy to succeed less and less.

Big Head's arc continues to be great.

He was a pretty big asshole to the design guy, felt bad. But as a whole? No way. He's perfectly reasonable in most cases.

kiguel182

He was a pretty big asshole to the design guy, felt bad. But as a whole? No way. He's perfectly reasonable in most cases.

He is an asshole every time he doesn't get his way. If anyone says "no" to him he just starts behaving like a dick. He behaves like a spoiled brat. The way he talked to the design guy was just the cherry on top of it all. I can't root for someone who goes off on a dude that's just doing his work because he is mad at his boss.

I really just can't stand Richard.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The design guy's original presentation was the height of cringe, and that in a show already presenting a masterclass in cringe. He deserved all the shit Richard gave him.

Odds that Action Jack ends up running Nucleus and switching them from a platform to a box?

Nah, what's going to happen is, Action Jack gets Gavin's position. That's one of the ways I see things going, with Gavin becoming more insecure and him getting manipulated by Denpok.

This was a great episode as per usual. Richard really is getting more and more badass, and I'm glad they aren't pushing the romance angle between Monica and him as much as they were in Season 1. Guilfoyle continues having the best zingers, Erlich with the coughing fit slayed me, and the threads are starting to converge a bit. Now, with Endframe fully under Hooli, it looks we could be headed for a redux of the Techcrunch conference. Jack though is the only wildcard. The way I see it, he's either going to get Gavin's position, or he's going to get those 5 engineers from Endframe and build his own version of Pied Piper. That latter seems likeliest to me because I don't think the show would mention those 5 engineers and then just leave them disgruntled at Gavin not remembering them. I think Jack is going to poach them, and build a Pied Piper built to crush Pied Piper.

diaspora

Nah, what's going to happen is, Action Jack gets Gavin's position. That's one of the ways I see things going, with Gavin becoming more insecure and him getting manipulated by Denpok.

This was a great episode as per usual. Richard really is getting more and more badass, and I'm glad they aren't pushing the romance angle between Monica and him as much as they were in Season 1. Guilfoyle continues having the best zingers, Erlich with the coughing fit slayed me, and the threads are starting to converge a bit. Now, with Endframe fully under Hooli, it looks we could be headed for a redux of the Techcrunch conference. Jack though is the only wildcard. The way I see it, he's either going to get Gavin's position, or he's going to get those 5 engineers from Endframe and build his own version of Pied Piper. That latter seems likeliest to me because I don't think the show would mention those 5 engineers and then just leave them disgruntled at Gavin not remembering them. I think Jack is going to poach them, and build a Pied Piper built to crush Pied Piper.
The problem is, his interest primarily lies in a different space entirely being the box. If he ends up poaching them IMO that's what they're going to end up building.

edit: lol the site got updated. Under new management. New site coming soon. The tech guys and... Dang are at the top again with Erlich hilariously still at the bottom.

Grifter

The design guy's original presentation was the height of cringe, and that in a show already presenting a masterclass in cringe. He deserved all the shit Richard gave him.

This. Loved how those scenes quickly skewed the development vs design relationship as the flip side to dev vs sales from last week.

iammeiam

The problem is, his interest primarily lies in a different space entirely being the box. If he ends up poaching them IMO that's what they're going to end up building.

I dunno, I don't think Jack's interest was in the box specifically so much as something he could sell for short-term gains. Jack doesn't care about anything but valuation; he went business-facing first because you can sell businesses stuff that doesn't even remotely exist yet. He went with the box because it was incredibly easy to sell to people who wouldn't understand the larger concept of the platform. He was willing to stop the box project entirely when the sure thing contract was in jeopardy. The little sidenote of Jack signing away the algorithm alongside the box sort of highlighted that; he'll sell anything to pump short-term company valuation, even if it's terrible long-term.

I was surprised by where Gavin's call to Richard went. I 100% expected to find of Hooli was either purchasing Malleant or outbidding them for the rights to the algorithm. Much happier with them acquiring Endframe.

also isn't it inconsistent that Jack, the smart CEO, somehow agreed to a bad deal with the corporate customer?

Accepting that clause would give them huge short term profits as well as fucking over Richard, both of which is in line with his interests and character.

diaspora

I dunno, I don't think Jack's interest was in the box specifically so much as something he could sell for short-term gains. Jack doesn't care about anything but valuation; he went business-facing first because you can sell businesses stuff that doesn't even remotely exist yet. He went with the box because it was incredibly easy to sell to people who wouldn't understand the larger concept of the platform. He was willing to stop the box project entirely when the sure thing contract was in jeopardy. The little sidenote of Jack signing away the algorithm alongside the box sort of highlighted that; he'll sell anything to pump short-term company valuation, even if it's terrible long-term.

I was surprised by where Gavin's call to Richard went. I 100% expected to find of Hooli was either purchasing Malleant or outbidding them for the rights to the algorithm. Much happier with them acquiring Endframe.

Part of Jack's interest in the box was that it was an immediate route to selling an actual product, Hooli lets Richard demonstrate the monetary value of the consumer platform but it doesn't solve the problem of the box being a quicker route to immediate profit since the consumer platform still requires development.

Part of Jack's interest in the box was that it was an immediate route to selling an actual product, Hooli lets Richard demonstrate the monetary value of the consumer platform but it doesn't solve the problem of the box being a quicker route to immediate profit since the consumer platform still requires development.

Jack represents a lot of the short term thinking that plagues the industry.

Javaman

Where will Jian Yang stand if Erlich moves in with Bighead?

Edit: also isn't it inconsistent that Jack, the smart CEO, somehow agreed to a bad deal with the corporate customer?

Pretty typical of short term stock boosting. Ignorant of the future.

Nozem

Wait, if Erilich and Big Head share assets, does that mean Big Head now has 5% of Pied Piper and half a board seat?

Big Head for CEO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom