• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

100 years ago we'd have them killed... But times have changed. Or have they? ... No they have and for the better.... Unless...

Back in the day people would be literally fired, but as previously discussed times have changed.... Unless...

Gavin just slays me.

This fucking show man, it's so great. Loved that guy in the bathtab, scrubbing himself at the beginning.

And Erlich's comment when he finds out Jared spent the night with a beautiful woman " Jared .... nice .... using that dick."

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I also love Jared's response to being called out on the sex with a reasonable "we're all adults, with sex lives". Totally not a big deal to the actual adult in the room.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
4 for Python, 2 for Ruby

It's the law*.

* https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#indentation
* https://github.com/styleguide/ruby#coding-style

Also syntactically Python doesn't actually give a shit what you use to indent, just that any given indented block is consistent.

1. Tabs are better than spaces, the PEP guideline is wrong. The PEP guideline is driven by their nutso 79 column code fetish which is also wrong.
2. It's true that Python is safe as long as you're consistent, but it's a nightmare to deal with code that's mixing both on a per-method basis so everyone should convert to the correct side.
3. Several other python PEP guidelines are bad (the advice against importing multiple modules on the same line is bad; you should be able to use spaces in default value declarations in method definitions and function annotations; all naming should be mixedCase [i.e. camlCaseWithLowerFirstLetter], underscores are terrible; the guidance against catching generic exceptions is poor form).
4. 2 spaces is just lunatic fringe. Absolutely awful.

liliththepale said:
any code editor worth its salt can reformat whitespace at the drop of a hat :p

It's true that it's not difficult to regex \t into " " or vice versa, but consider these several points that I feel strongly about:
1. If the tabs are soft-converted to spaces based on settings in the editor, then everyone always gets what they want in terms of visual indentation. If the tabs are hard-converted into spaces, then each subsequent person who picks it up needs to refactor the code in that way. Just set tab-width / tabstop appropriately and then embrace the tab.
2. When you start using spaces, you run the risk that you work on a file with someone else who uses a different number of spaces, so different methods/functions use different indentation. Even in whitespace-matters languages like Python this is OK, but it becomes a nuisance to work around and the simple regex is no longer possible because you have to ensure you run a separate regex for each block of code. It's true that if you're using a fancy IDE you can just run an automatic code refactor... but some of us are using nano.

*literally ducks tomatoes being thrown at his head*

It's true that if you're using a fancy IDE you can just run an automatic code refactor... but some of us are using nano.

Yeah Visual Studio makes this not even remotely a problem. You can even set it to auto refactor on opening files, and it can change the spacing within brackets and dots and which line curly braces go on and dozens of similar nuances.

My main real problem with tab is my hands are small and the spacebar is a lot closer to where I feel comfortable than the tab key is, plus it's already a much more frequently used key. I don't actually care too much how far the indentation is, although eight seems like it's excessive.

Fantastic episode! Lost it multiple times. Some of the jokes were just hilarious. Massive turnaround from a disappointing last week. The show is on fire again. Funniest and best show on TV at the moment IMO. Bring on next week!

KarmaCow

This show is so amazing with setting up nonsense and cashing it in for a single moment. The aloha joke at the very end was masterful.

Bleepey

A mate of mine said:
That chick is wifey material. As a Python developer I use spaces instead of tabs because it's PEP-8 compliant. And I also use VIM over emacs. She's winning 👌🏾

This really hit close to home to my programming friends.

sohois

Though Bighead is now cash broke, I presume from an accounting perspective he must still be quite wealthy. He still has that extremely expensive house, assets such as cars, boats and a helicopter, a now $500'000 blog and whatever value he can get from his stakes in all the various incubees.

Wonder if the show will just ignore this though, since they've never been the most accurate from the business side of things.

Hasney

Though Bighead is now cash broke, I presume from an accounting perspective he must still be quite wealthy. He still has that extremely expensive house, assets such as cars, boats and a helicopter, a now $500'000 blog and whatever value he can get from his stakes in all the various incubees.

Wonder if the show will just ignore this though, since they've never been the most accurate from the business side of things.

I wouldn't be shocked if it comes up and that his business manager managed to hide away some cash for him.

I cant believe Richard went full fedora there.

I also wish the show had something going for Dinesh. Dude just gets roasted all the time without any redemption. A better balance or having things actually work out for him would be cool.

ampere

I cant believe Richard went full fedora there.

I also wish the show had something going for Dinesh. Dude just gets roasted all the time without any redemption. A better balance or having things actually work out for him would be cool.

"You're gay for my code Dinesh" is still such a top tier scene. Then the "my girlfriend wants to fuck you" lmao

Gilfoyle messing with Dinesh is the best

"You're gay for my code Dinesh" is still such a top tier scene. Then the "my girlfriend wants to fuck you" lmao

Gilfoyle messing with Dinesh is the best

Yeah that was pretty good. Dinesh needs to grow some balls and fuck with Gilfoyle back instead of just giving him the finger or whatever. There needs to be a better back and forth instead of Dinesh always getting shit on.

That Jared "fuck your mother" chain joke a few episodes ago was brilliant. Jareds face as he said that joke made it top tier.

Ogodei

Waiting for the day when Dinesh turns the tables on Gilfoyle. Mike Judge tends to work like that, every butt monkey gets their day (although since the universe hates them, it never lasts).

El Daniel

Yeah that was pretty good. Dinesh needs to grow some balls and fuck with Gilfoyle back instead of just giving him the finger or whatever. There needs to be a better back and forth instead of Dinesh always getting shit on.

That Jared "fuck your mother" chain joke a few episodes ago was brilliant. Jareds face as he said that joke made it top tier.

And the ending: Nice Chain Dinesh, do you choke your mother with it when you put your penis in her butthole.

finalflame

Emacs vs. VIM. Tabs vs. Space. Jared fucks. This episode was fucking gold.

both are wrong, modern text editor like Sublime or Atom is the only correct answer. Also tabs.

Gavin is going to buy that blog from Bachmanity for a ridiculous amount of money out of spite thinking it a "win" isn't he? Or a lawsuit leading to Hooli gaining Erlich's board seat and 10% stake in Pied Piper which just conveniently now has a set value of at least $250 million which 10% of would cover Bighead's NDA and then some.

I just got a feeling shit (going with what's largely a tradition for this show) isn't going to end well for Erlich and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop for everyone.

Just binged watched my way to Season 3 episode 2. Oh man. Sometimes I feel like this show gets too real. How did they capture the feeling so well?

There is a part in Season 3 where hear what Richard is saying and I go "Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! That's the thing they make me do here. NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo".

The cringe does sometimes get a little too unbearable, but the show is still amazingly funny. I will continue to watch more tonight.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
uglqmy5.gif

This is pretty stupid though, as anyone who uses spaces would normally just use the tab button to create 4 (or 8 if they're so inclined) spaces. Just an IDE setting (or expandtabs on vim). Pressing the space bar four times is moronic.

Broke the suspension of disbelief for me, terrible episode 0/10.

Dereck

This is pretty stupid though, as anyone who uses spaces would normally just use the tab button to create 4 (or 8 if they're so inclined) spaces. Just an IDE setting (or expandtabs on vim). Pressing the space bar four times is moronic.

Broke the suspension of disbelief for me, terrible episode 0/10.
OK, Richard

ksdixon

I don't see the point in Bachmanity buying the tech blog. How does that in any way affect Gavin's ability to haul the blogger into court to force her to give up her source on slander/libel charges?

YoungFa

I don't see the point in Bachmanity buying the tech blog. How does that in any way affect Gavin's ability to haul the blogger into court to force her to give up her source on slander/libel charges?
It doesnt. It is supposed to buy "journalistic integrity", meaning to make her shut up and go to court over protecting her source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom