• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzone

That seems weird and counter productive. I remember we could choose our own style as long as it was something reasonable, and it was only important to stay consistent with the style you were using.

No, often you can't choose. You must follow some specific code style guidelines for keeping the entire project on the same style. It's an important thing to learn.

For example, currently I'm working on a project that uses spaces (2), max 80 character per line and some other limitations about arguments, variable's names and this kind of things. The entire project follows this style, so I've to follow it.

Slo

Still having a hard time with Richard's transition from "lowest of the low" at Hooli to Alpha Programmer. I mean I understand the rags-to-riches angle, but there's a component of skill and experience that goes along with that. This is sort of like a guy from warming the bench at the YMCA to NBA superstar.

Still really enjoying the show, that's my only gripe.

I never got the impression that he was a lowest of the low, but more that he was an awkward classic nerd type in a world of alpha brogrammers and thus got sidelined and forgotten about.

spootime

Still having a hard time with Richard's transition from "lowest of the low" at Hooli to Alpha Programmer. I mean I understand the rags-to-riches angle, but there's a component of skill and experience that goes along with that. This is sort of like a guy from warming the bench at the YMCA to NBA superstar.

Still really enjoying the show, that's my only gripe.

I got the sense that he was basically a genius at hooli that was incredibly mismanaged and poorly utilized.

I should rematch it to see if I missed those cues. I got the sense that he was another Big Head.
Well yeah, the top programmers were stumped when they saw Richard's compression.

Still you're half right. He has the skills, but his company is in a clusterfuck due to his lack of experience in all cases.

Slo

Well yeah, the top programmers were stumped when they saw Richard's compression.

Still you're half right. He has the skills, but his company is in a clusterfuck due to his lack of experience in all cases.

Yeah, that's true. In my head I rationalized that he sort of bumblefucked his way backwards into the amazing compression algorithm and didn't really know what he had. From that point on it became a story of a guy who's perpetually in over his head.

That could have just been me projecting my own assumptions onto the show because I'd already made up my mind about Richard. Like I said I should rematch it.

finalflame

I should rematch it to see if I missed those cues. I got the sense that he was another Big Head.

There aren't really any hard "cues", other than the kitchen scene with the brogramemrs that shows Richard is a poor culture fit. That scene, and the rest of the show, makes it pretty clear that Hooli is the kind of company that rewards/notices douchey holier than thou brogrammer types, as to where Richard is technically apt but has very little vision/ego at that point (remember, he wanted Pied Piper to be a music searching app for copyright infringement/glorified Shazam type deal).

Hooli is basically a fictitious amalgamation of the large Silicon Valley tech giants, where ego runs rampant and lots of very skilled coders (which, to be very skilled and work at one of these companies is commonplace, due to the rigorous interview processes, high standards, and high salaries) just put their head down and do their work. Richard really had no outlet for his aptitude, other than his personal projects. This is pretty common.

Anyways, the whole arc in season 1 is how Richard is sitting on this very impressive tech from a technical standpoint, but has no idea what he has until someone else sees it for him (brogrammers trying out the app after he shares it with them, and subsequent interest by Peter Gregory/Gavin).

norinrad

There aren't really any hard "cues", other than the kitchen scene with the brogramemrs that shows Richard is a poor culture fit. That scene, and the rest of the show, makes it pretty clear that Hooli is the kind of company that rewards/notices douchey holier than thou brogrammer types, as to where Richard is technically apt but has very little vision/ego at that point (remember, he wanted Pied Piper to be a music searching app for copyright infringement/glorified Shazam type deal).

Hooli is basically a fictitious amalgamation of the large Silicon Valley tech giants, where ego runs rampant and lots of very skilled coders (which, to be very skilled and work at one of these companies is commonplace, due to the rigorous interview processes, high standards, and high salaries) just put their head down and do their work. Richard really had no outlet for his aptitude, other than his personal projects. This is pretty common.

Anyways, the whole arc in season 1 is how Richard is sitting on this very impressive tech from a technical standpoint, but has no idea what he has until someone else sees it for him (brogrammers trying out the app after he shares it with them, and subsequent interest by Peter Gregory/Gavin).

Jeez, this description sounds like being at Google.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I just subscribed to HBO Now. I'm midway through Season 2, and my god this show has so many laugh-out-loud moments. Maybe I'm just easily amused, but I suspect it's the show. In Mike Judge I trust...

Oh, and any show that sticks it to Mark Cuban is okay with me. The whole 'how does he show both upper and lower teeth when he smiles?' thing is aimed SQUARELY at him - as is the whole 'it's RADIO on the INTERNET'.

norinrad

Why was Richard's date sharing a place when she works at FB and makes more than all of them combined? Couldn't she afford a place by herself?

Jared's girl was much more hotter and had the girl next door thing going for her than say the girl Richard was dating.

gdt

Russ was right, this guy fucks.

I couldn't stop laughing for like a minute straight. What an amazing line.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Why was Richard's date sharing a place when she works at FB and makes more than all of them combined? Couldn't she afford a place by herself?

Jared's girl was much more hotter and had the girl next door thing going for her than say the girl Richard was dating.

San Francisco rent

hermit7

Also initially his program was a music search and the compression was only to further his music application.

The entire compression algorithm was tied up in music, he never thought about compression alone until he showed the hooli people and got offered huge amounts of money.

finalflame

Have you lived in the Bay Area?

If you want to live in a luxury apartment, you still probably need roommates to pay a sane price (< $3k). Especially if you want to be saving money to put $300k+ down on a $1.5 million condo. But you'll still get outbid by someone who offers to pay cash.

San Francisco rent

Or Silicon Valley. Rent in Palo Alto/Mountain View is just as bad.

New episode tonight:
To Build a Better Beta

The guys receive an unexpected response to the beta version of Pied Piper; Dinesh worries about his lack of friends; Monica considers how to deliver criticism; Erlich ponders a big decision; Gavin challenges the Nucleus team.

Lautaro

Wonder who Erlich sold his shares to...the bartenders got paid somehow.

To Raviga obviously, why would he talk to Laurie if that wasn't the case. I could be wrong though, I predicted that Erlich was gonna sell but I certainly didn't predicted that he was just gonna lose the money without Hooli suing them.

I wonder if he sold all his shares or just a part and his seat at the board.

Another great episode. Feel bad for Bachman.

Im assuming them buying that website is going to pay off eventually though. I think the show is going to have Big Head almost always being rich though no will of his own. At least I hope. It's one of the best parts of the show.

Friggz

ive marathoned all of the episodes of this show over the last week. between how easily i can relate to the characters and the humor behind it all. I feel comfortable in saying thats its on my list of top 3 shows all time. is that crazy for a show thats only 2.5 seasons?

ive marathoned all of the episodes of this show over the last week. between how easily i can relate to the characters and the humor behind it all. I feel comfortable in saying thats its on my list of top 3 shows all time. is that crazy for a show thats only 2.5 seasons?
it's definitely one of my fave comedies ever already. Not surprising though, Mike Judge is the man.

Trouble

Banned
i also love that the site is actually live..lol

http://www.piedpiper.com/

Holy shit! Monica was right about it feeling 'engineered'.

interface_large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom