• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Spirit3

If the game isn't working by tonight (Australia) I might have to consider requesting a Refund. I work full-time and can't be "patient" to wait to get into a product I paid money for just because EA are to short sighted to have a working game. I didn't pay for the Loading Server Simulator and this game isn't that big of a deal to me if I never get to play it.

Jhriad

For those of you that have gotten refunds on Origin purchases, did it remove the game from your account? How'd that work exactly? I might suggest to five of my friends that I was planning on playing with, that they get a refund as well if it was fairly painless.

Nibiru

Banned
Well didn't even try to log in yesterday or today but I just tried it now and what a disaster. Last time I was on I tried to create a region and it said i couldn't tonight I log in and I have 3 regions created I guess from me trying multiple times. NOW of course I can't abandon these regions or even join them. So I have used up 3 of 10 slots. I gave a glowing review of the game many pages back but I need to go back on all of it and say that this game in it's current form should not have been released. This is at best an Alpha test imo.

cripterion

Have a 90K city called Colchis on a region named Cadia on the North America West Server 2. There's still a spot left (3 city region) if anyone wants to join. I'm lacking space and running out of power to run the city (currently researching the solar upgrades).

Game is fun when it works but running out of space sucks. I still have high demand for top notch industry and more people want to live in my city. Even running out of power buildings keep growing.

Huge list of issues I've encountered and some suggestions.

Technical
-The Big Issue: Game Servers works 5% of the time
-Stupid "Queue" timer that isn't really a queue and it only attempts to join server when it reaches zero; game needs an auto-join feature instead of us waiting around for the triangle to turn green
-Servers show status as available and green, but it is actually not
-Servers are not linked, so you have to go through a specific server to get to the city you've spent 3 hours on. Please link them.
-In-game "Origin" chat does not sync with actual Origin chat client so you have to readd friends
-Readding Origin friends in the game does not work most of the time
-Game invite notifications do not work most of the time
-Sometimes you get booted out and you lose hours of progress. Game needs a client-side save feature to resync upon reconnecting
-Region chat has a 30 minute delay before chat messages show up, essentially rendering the coop aspect of the game non-existent
-Roads glitch out someimes when merged or when building up a hill

Gameplay
-Let us upgrade streets to avenues without losing ploppable buildings
-Road building options are not OCD friendly. Need ability to put down perfectly straight or round roads that are parallel to the city grid
-One-move rewind feature PLEASE
-Give us the ability to preview plopped buildings WITHOUT an an existing road. Add an imaginary road to the plop preview overlay

If it weren't for these issues, the game would be fantastic

hittman

Banned
tried several times last night to get on

it tried to load the tutorial unsuccessfully, then i couldn't get past the menu screen.

horrible.

RoKKeR

Huge list of issues I've encountered and some suggestions.

Technical
-The Big Issue: Game Servers works 5% of the time
-Stupid "Queue" timer that isn't really a queue and it only attempts to join server when it reaches zero; game needs an auto-join feature instead of us waiting around for the triangle to turn green
-Servers show status as available and green, but it is actually not
-Servers are not linked, so you have to go through a specific server to get to the city you've spent 3 hours on. Please link them.
-In-game "Origin" chat does not sync with actual Origin chat client so you have to readd friends
-Readding Origin friends in the game does not work most of the time
-Game invite notifications do not work most of the time
-Sometimes you get booted out and you lose hours of progress. Game needs a client-side save feature to resync upon reconnecting
-Region chat has a 30 minute delay before chat messages show up, essentially rendering the coop aspect of the game non-existent
-Roads glitch out someimes when merged or when building up a hill

Gameplay
-Let us upgrade streets to avenues without losing ploppable buildings
-Road building options are not OCD friendly. Need ability to put down perfectly straight or round roads that are parallel to the city grid
-One-move rewind feature PLEASE
-Give us the ability to preview plopped buildings WITHOUT an an existing road. Add an imaginary road to the plop preview overlay

If it weren't for these issues, the game would be fantastic
Good list, and I agree mostly about the avenues. It sucks watching your city get clogged up with tragic and unable to upgrade roads without tearing up half of the city. It's really aggravating. And people say "But you have to plan!" It's pretty damn hard to plan at the start when they cost so damn much to build.

Went through some of my old stuff and found this. Wonder if it will run on a Win7 system?

0s5Q3F3.jpg

RS4-

There is no reason why I'd have to lose something like city hall or some other expensive lot (that is already surrounded by roads) when I'm removing the one that is behind the buildings.

^ < road > ^
R building R
v < doze > v

Orlandu84

Although I was able to play yesterday, I have not been able to play at all today :( I had a friend stop by and wanted to show him the game. What did he get to see? A loading screen, a game queue, and my inability to claim cities! As my friend said, "They are loosing business from this." I will never preorder another game from EA after this debacle. I guess I will play some minecraft now.

Good list, and I agree mostly about the avenues. It sucks watching your city get clogged up with tragic and unable to upgrade roads without tearing up half of the city. It's really aggravating. And people say "But you have to plan!" It's pretty damn hard to plan at the start when they cost so damn much to build.

You had to tear up a lot of stuff in sim city 4 as well, but yeah I think they could have made upgrading from narrow to wide roads a bit more automatic, even if it would still demolish the adjoining buildings.

RoKKeR

There is no reason why I'd have to lose something like city hall or some other expensive lot (that is already surrounded by roads) when I'm removing the one that is behind the buildings.

^ < road > ^
R building R
v < doze > v
Wait, explain this again? Are you talking about upgrading to avenues?

SRTtoZ

Just fuck you EA, fuck you.

I click to play SimCity through Origin. It updates, then I get a network error, so it asks me to 'try again'. I click try again and after a few minutes it connects me! It says ready to play, and I can click PLAY but instead I wanted to see if they added new servers, so click server list, saw they added a few more servers, ok cool, but wait...There is no X button, so I cant close the server list without picking a new server, so I click NA EAST 1, which is the server I am currently on and always have been on, and its been saying "Authenticating with server" for about 10 minutes now.

This is a total fuckfest. And not the good kind.

Omiee

seriously ea go fuck yourself.

i finally get the option to start the game and it switches of my pc.

i tried it the second time, the screen goes black and my pc restarts.

what could be the problem?

Hm I don't get it with the servers. When I join Europe West 1, all my Cities and regions are tied to this server? I thought they all are global and accessable from all servers?

The game will work on Win7 but there's a bug with the controls which makes it pretty much unplayable.
Yeah I think I see that. Can't scroll for one thing. God this game had a great soundtrack though.

Hm I don't get it with the servers. When I join Europe West 1, all my Cities and regions are tied to this server? I thought they all are global and accessable from all servers?
Nope. If you make a city on one server it's only on that one server.

^ < road > ^
R building R
v < doze > v

Yeah, I hate that shit. Go to bulldoze a road and it also needs to bulldoze the building for some reason (even though its connected to another road.

StUnNeR H2K

I will not exit the game... I will not exit the game...

I found as long as I stay in. I don't ever have to stop playing. Just going to sit here and let me profits from selling ore build up (around 300k/day).

SRTtoZ

Just fuck you EA, fuck you.

I click to play SimCity through Origin. It updates, then I get a network error, so it asks me to 'try again'. I click try again and after a few minutes it connects me! It says ready to play, and I can click PLAY but instead I wanted to see if they added new servers, so click server list, saw they added a few more servers, ok cool, but wait...There is no X button, so I cant close the server list without picking a new server, so I click NA EAST 1, which is the server I am currently on and always have been on, and its been saying "Authenticating with server" for about 10 minutes now.

This is a total fuckfest. And not the good kind.

Oh I finally got in after 10 minutes just to be welcomed to a new SimCity welcome screen saying "Alert: Unable to connect to SimCity servers".

This is awesome.

Orbis

Went through some of my old stuff and found this. Wonder if it will run on a Win7 system?
I have mine here too. Although it's in a DVD-size case; I don't think PC games came in those kind of boxes after around 1999 or so here. I might try it out on Windows 8 sometime soon.

Megasoum

Banned
I will not exit the game... I will not exit the game...

I found as long as I stay in. I don't ever have to stop playing. Just going to sit here and let me profits from selling ore build up (around 300k/day).

Yeah but you better hope that the servers come back because if you exit (or crash) before the game could reconnect you will rollback all the way back to when you originaly lost the connection.

Top Bottom