• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

doodle

Am I doing something wrong here? I have four firetrucks in a city with only 20,000 people, yet I have never had a fire put out and I have never actually seen one of the trucks in the town.

hittman

Banned
i hope the loss in sales from this shitstorm is greater than any sales they would ever have lost due to piracy, which we all know is the sole reason for this DRM bull anyway.

So on the rare occasions when I get to play this, I find I play it more or less like I played Simcity 4. That is make a couple of cities in a region, specialize them into mostly industry/mostly residential (typically I would also have a farming city in SC4), and then let them support each other.

I feel this works reasonably well, but I'm not sure I'm missing out aspects of the game. I'm absolutely not interested in playing with strangers.

I do like the improvements to the game. Some of the stuff is really great. Smaller city size have not bothered me too much yet, I'm more annoyed with the regions being pregenerated and the lack of terraforming, but no biggies.

Jedi2016

I have SimCity 4, which I played last weekend, installed. It has some weird aspect ratio issue on my 1920x1200 monitor. I should see if I can resolve it and just go play that.
Turns out the game supports custom resolutions, so getting it to run at whatever is pretty easy. http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/SimCity_4

Question about regions: I know you can share resources and commute workers and students and such between cities using rail and road... but what about the big 16-city regions that are split up into 4-city clumps? Each set of four isn't linked to the others, so is there any way to share across to cities that aren't linked by rail/road? Would airports or ferries, or any other way work?

stufte

So glad cutting out a gameplay feature I use all the time helped me get into the server. Oh wait, it didn't...

Jintor

If the Gaf regions thing is still happening I forfeit my Titan Gorge 1 reason. In between the server issues and general problems I don't really see much of a point in it right now.

You mean IF I get in? I'll see to get to it once I'm home (30mins ish). If servers are down (... Right) I won't be able to though. Make sure you're on NA East 1!

I was, i found the region, tried to claim it, then servers went down. I'm not sure if it was going to work or not.

Also my friendslist was already populated, so I guess it uses Origin playlist after all?

NA EAST 1 is impossible to get in to.
NA WEST 1 is pretty easy to login to.
i've made a temp region called "gaf west" on WEST 1 if anyone wants to practice.
its public btw.

Mik2121

Ah sweet. So... what are the region filters then?

Also, is there any lag while playing if you connect to a server where you have high ping? Or there's no realtime interaction with the servers?

I haven't checked much about this game because I wanted to go into it without knowing anything, but after seeing how much of a mess it has become and the fact that I have to use Origin, it's making me kinda worried :/

Duke Togo

I hope they get this working in time for the weekend. I'd like to spend more than 10 minutes in game without it shitting out. I thought there might be a few bumps at launch, but this is nuts.

Ah sweet. So... what are the region filters then?

Also, is there any lag while playing if you connect to a server where you have high ping? Or there's no realtime interaction with the servers?

I haven't checked much about this game because I wanted to go into it without knowing anything, but after seeing how much of a mess it has become and the fact that I have to use Origin, it's making me kinda worried :/

No lag, the city just syncs with the servers from time to time.

Gnub

I hope they get this working in time for the weekend. I'd like to spend more than 10 minutes in game without it shitting out. I thought there might be a few bumps at launch, but this is nuts.

The first weekend after release? I would guess that their servers are going to get hammered harder over the weekend then have have been during the week. Doesn't look like the can handle that.

This game is UNPLAYABLE without cheetah. Starting off is very difficult . I built a couple of zones , mayors house , water, power and bam now awefully slow to get money. now takes AGES to get money.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Call me inconsiderate, but id like this to continue on past the weekend, hopefully getting pulled from steam for a while. At this point i just want the disaster to be as big as possible, hopefully with some real media coverage just to increase EA's discomfort, so they'll get second guessed every time in the future when they try to justify things like these.

Gotcha. So if you play on one server and then you go to another server, it means you have different towns there or what? Uhm... I guess I should read some reviews or something about this game :p

Yes. Which is a good and bad thing. You can only play that city on that server but each server gives you 10 more slots.

Remmy2112

So I have a bugged city in my region. It was crashing, being unresponsive, and generally being a pain in the ass for my friend who set it up. He abandoned it, but now he nor I can claim it. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it?

What does it all matter if it ends up going back up after everything starts running smoothly? It just seems like temporary demerits.

Especially from EA's perspective where all they care about is the Metacritic, Polygon's review is firmly in as a 95 there.

Still, its kind of nice to see them updating their review, although what are they going to do? Just update it every day?

Spirit3

Holy mother of hell I just got in and played for an hour. I can't believe it, the most exciting thing about this game is actually being able to be allowed to play it. Thanks multi-million dollar corporations for this gift of gifts.

Also I'm sure my city is rubbish but that's okay because I'm not playing with any Gaffers yet. The road/terrain bug is annoying as hell. Please fix Maxis... after you fix the servers.

so when does Maxis and all of it's employees, gets shut down?

This will all blow over in a matter of weeks, the servers will be stable, and people will be comparing the next clusterfuck to Simcity rather than Diablo 3.

Maxis will poop out DLC pack after DLC pack for months and probably years for this game.

KaYotiX

Banned
This will all blow over in a matter of weeks, the servers will be stable, and people will be comparing the next clusterfuck to Simcity rather than Diablo 3.

Maxis will poop out DLC pack after DLC pack for months and probably years for this game.

Yup. I didn't care about D3's launch 2 days after.

Pandemic

Is anyone else having issues talking to other members in the region? When I submit a comment in the chat, nothing happens, like lag. Then when I quit and return to the game, my comment shows. Is it my lag or the servers?

Uthred

Call me inconsiderate, but id like this to continue on past the weekend, hopefully getting pulled from steam for a while. At this point i just want the disaster to be as big as possible, hopefully with some real media coverage just to increase EA's discomfort, so they'll get second guessed every time in the future when they try to justify things like these.

"I would like all the people who legitimately bought the game not to be able to play it so it can get taken off a service its not even on in the first place" Spiteful and stupid, bravo

Fixed1979

"I would like all the people who legitimately bought the game not to be able to play it so it can get taken off a service its not even on in the first place" Spiteful and stupid, bravo

I really don't understand how a lot of that shit isn't considered trolling and bannable. There's been a lot of hit and runs in here today.

Jintor

You can't even be accurate in your trolling

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hope you have a ton of time then. with no cheetah it could take a while to do that.

Oh sure, the game is unplayable. You can never join a server, when you can you get disconnected, when you don't you can't load your city.

If you somehow miraculously manage to go through all that, Cheetah speed is disabled, rendering the game unplayable.

I think i'll just wait a week to play it again.

Top Bottom