• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Pyrogeek

I will not exit the game... I will not exit the game...

I found as long as I stay in. I don't ever have to stop playing. Just going to sit here and let me profits from selling ore build up (around 300k/day).

I just made the mistake of logging out without noticing that I wasn't connected... after building up my GAF city to be a self sustaining tv, computer, and processor exporter to the tune of 2.5million a day :(

Bah! I hope I didn't lose too much progress.

RoKKeR

I will not exit the game... I will not exit the game...

I found as long as I stay in. I don't ever have to stop playing. Just going to sit here and let me profits from selling ore build up (around 300k/day).
Jesus, how? My biggest hurdle right now is not being able to sell enough plastic/alloy to get a TradeHQ upgrade. How do I increase it?

I understand how you can't update streets to avenues because the sizing is different, but why on earth can we not update them separately? This is a huge problem when you start your city with small roads to save money (as you should).

Mr Swine

Banned
So this is much much worse than the Diablo III server problems? I'm so damn sad that EA has killed Sim City with all these problems :(

Phreaker

I take it there is no real server status page? Mine said NA East 1 AVAILABLE, but I have yet to be able to log in. I did eventually see RESUME Gaugin Valley as a button, but clicking anything does nothing for a long time then eventually says SimCity servers are down and to try again?

Oh and I keep seeing that toast message in the upper left saying it's down, then it's restored. smh

So this is much much worse than the Diablo III server problems? I'm so damn sad that EA has killed Sim City with all these problems :(

Atleast I could play Diablo 3 launch week 90% of the time I wanted too. I can't even connect to my city because the servers erased it and every time I log in I can't start a new one because the server always crashes. It's day 3 and the game just launched in UK, so I'm giving up any luck on play it anytime soon.

Ghost23

What kind of roads does everyone start with? I feel like I have all high density streets, so my city never looks like a big city with avenues. Do I have to bulldoze it all?

In all honesty, if the next SimCity is like this and we're restricted with a small city size so it doesn't overload EA's servers, we can all consider this series dead and buried. It will be the most acclaimed series EA has killed completely. We better pray a lesson was learned with this game.

Phreaker

What kind of roads does everyone start with? I feel like I have all high density streets, so my city never looks like a big city with avenues. Do I have to bulldoze it all?

Eventually you'll probably need some avenues. I didn't have enough money to build the ones I wanted at the start. I have two fairly large ones now though.

Spl1nter

I understand how you can't update streets to avenues because the sizing is different, but why on earth can we not update them separately? This is a huge problem when you start your city with small roads to save money (as you should).

You can there is a button for upgrading close to where you select type of way to put down road (straight, curve)

Start with dirt roads and medium density avenues. Dirt roads are great for experimenting with road placement because they are so cheap.

I take it there is no real server status page? Mine said NA East 1 AVAILABLE, but I have yet to be able to log in. I did eventually see RESUME Gaugin Valley as a button, but clicking anything does nothing for a long time then eventually says SimCity servers are down and to try again?

Someone on Simtropolis made this.

In all honesty, if the next SimCity is like this and we're restricted with a small city size so it doesn't overload EA's servers, we can all consider this series dead and buried. It will be the most acclaimed series EA has killed completely. We better pray a lesson was learned with this game.

Allow more reviewers to release early reviews.

Guys

n9v0kAp.jpg

I can play a 13 year old game... But I can't play one that came out 3 days ago.

Phreaker

I have SimCity 4, which I played last weekend, installed. It has some weird aspect ratio issue on my 1920x1200 monitor. I should see if I can resolve it and just go play that.

hittman

Banned
since when, in the history of road construction, was demolishing a building required for upgrading a road?

road to avenue is width and pavement thickness etc, which is all done inside the road reserve.

terrible.

RoKKeR

That looks great, really like the road layout
Thanks! I planned the whole thing out with dirt roads at the beginning and fleshed them out from there. I'm really happy with it, and so are my citizens. My income fluctuates from 8k-10k/hr and my citizens are smart, rich, and happy! Unfortunately I don't think it will last long as I'm completely self-sufficient, but hopefully it stays solid.

Biggest issue is by far traffic, and I'm too scared to upgrade to avenues for how much I'd have to destroy.

Phreaker

Doesn't mean anything. just because the server says available does not mean you can connect. I keep getting unable to load city even though Europe west 1 is available.

Yeah, NA East 1 is AVAILABLE on both that page and in game right now and I still can't load my city. I see the RESUME button, but even that was missing for a while. Oh, now that popout in the upper left telling me the servers are down and it's attempting to reconnect.

UPDATE: HOLY MOTHER OF my city is loading

UPDATE 2: Oh, never mind - while loading I got ALERT Unable to load city at this time. Please try again. ;_;

UPDATE 3: Hmmm, I wonder if it's really loading my city this time. It says Now Entering Gaugin Valley. Previously it only said Now Entering: ____________. So hopeful!! :D Awww @(*&@#$@( ALERT!

RS4-

Wait, explain this again? Are you talking about upgrading to avenues?

Just in general if I wanted to rezone an area.

street street street street
house house house house
street street street street
house house house house

If I wanted to get rid of the bottom row of streets, I cannot keep the houses that run along both sides of it.

Mik2121

What's a region filter?

Something that isn't even a feature, but a way to fuck with your users. If it's what I think it is, anyway.... (ie, people from certain regions can only enter their own servers, so you potentially wouldn't be able to play with people from other regions).

I hope I'm wrong though.

Something that isn't even a feature, but a way to fuck with your users. If it's what I think it is, anyway.... (ie, people from certain regions can only enter their own servers, so you potentially wouldn't be able to play with people from other regions).

I hope I'm wrong though.

You are :p

Top Bottom