• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Remmy2112

One thing I don't understand is why the large 16 plot regions do not have road and/or highway connections linking every city to every other one. Right now you have four groups of 4, with maybe a rail connection linking one group to another via one city in each subset. Some of the smaller regions have every city connected. I wish there was a type of project separate from great works that would allow you to link those regions. Expensive highway expansions, more rail connections, whatever.

How in God's name do I get shoppers and workers and the like from other cities?

How do I get the train to work? I hooked it to the tracks that were already in my plot, but I kept getting an error about it being unconnected.

How in God's name do I get shoppers and workers and the like from other cities?

How do I get the train to work? I hooked it to the tracks that were already in my plot, but I kept getting an error about it being unconnected.

Have you connected a street to the parking lot of the train station?

Phinor

I take it people are actually playing the game now? I haven't been able to load my city since Thursday, it's on Europe West 1 and thanks to the server structure, I have to play on that server because, well, my city is there.

A free copy of an old game (that I probably own already) doesn't quite cover this, I'd prefer playing the game I bought at this point.

DEO3

community college is for mid tech, uni for high tech

so if you want high tech only, you can delete the com college

Interesting, so what's the point of grade/high schools then? Do you have to have those so people can then graduate to a community college/university? Or do they serve some other purpose?

Game finally seems to be working for me. Are there any GAF European regions up at the moment with some free slots? If so I'd love to get an invite as it seems like my region search is borked and just presents regions with no slots without any filtering available. My Origin ID is BananaFlavoured.

Covfan

Not a gafregion persay but on Europe West 4 I am playing with my region "Animal Heights". Animal themed city names please people!

Now that everything seems to be working fine I'm gonna be checking all the GAF regions on their status and update them on the website.

I'll be PMing owners of cities that seem to be abandoned/unclaimed to see who has given up or just hasn't logged in yet. There will probably be some new slots open after this for people to join.

Also, is it just me or anyone in the region can invite other people and not just the creator?

Not a gafregion persay but on Europe West 4 I am playing with my region "Animal Heights". Animal themed city names please people!

Cougar Town

Now that everything seems to be working fine I'm gonna be checking all the GAF regions on their status and update them on the website.

I'll be PMing owners of cities that seem to be abandoned/unclaimed to see who has given up or just hasn't logged in yet. There will probably be some new slots open after this for people to join.

Also, is it just me or anyone in the region can invite other people and not just the creator?
correct. i invited cjdamon the other night.

Nero3000

Game finally seems to be working for me. Are there any GAF European regions up at the moment with some free slots? If so I'd love to get an invite as it seems like my region search is borked and just presents regions with no slots without any filtering available. My Origin ID is BananaFlavoured.

I have a small one with just me at the moment....

So I noticed that my city of 200k citizens is all low and medium wealth. But, high wealth commercial buildings keep getting built. How do I attract high wealth citizens? I've got schools, parks, fire, police, and no industrial at all.

I'll be PMing owners of cities that seem to be abandoned/unclaimed to see who has given up or just hasn't logged in yet. There will probably be some new slots open after this for people to join

FYI, I'm currently out of town. Might be able to log on at the hotel tonight. This is for anyone going to be part of Titan Gorge 2.

So I noticed that my city of 200k citizens is all low and medium wealth. But, high wealth commercial buildings keep getting built. How do I attract high wealth citizens? I've got schools, parks, fire, police, and no industrial at all.

Do you have plazas and other high value parks near your residential?

Jedi2016

Have they fixed the regional interactions? I'm in a spot in a few of my cities where I really need to be spreading out across multiple areas, industrial/residential, power, etc, but as of last night it still wasn't recognizing that my other cities existed.

Juice

I switched servers because mine is full and the new server threw me straight into the tutorial again. Seriously?

This might sound dumb but how do I search regions based on names? Literally none of the options seem to do anything for me (filtering by maps or by regions with abandoned lots) and their are no text fields.

Amneisac

I'm noticing the more time I can spend playing this game the more I realize the simulation is really poor. How did so many reviewers get this so wrong? The AI pathing to the shortest route no matter what, the terrible firetruck deployment (sending them all to any fire while the rest of your city burns).

The only people who are being really successful as building incredibly unrealistic city models (one road cities, dirt roads for U-turns in the middle of a avenue, etc.).

Yeah, the server problems are huge, but the game underneath is not nearly as good as it seemed at first blush. They have some serious work to do.

Also, if you disconnect from the internet after you start playing you can play (with no issues) until the next ALWAYS ONLINE DRM check. Wouldn't this indicate the whole glassbox thing is a bunch of horse shit?

I'm noticing the more time I can spend playing this game the more I realize the simulation is really poor. How did so many reviewers get this so wrong? The AI pathing to the shortest route no matter what, the terrible firetruck deployment (sending them all to any fire while the rest of your city burns).

The only people who are being really successful as building incredibly unrealistic city models (one road cities, dirt roads for U-turns in the middle of a avenue, etc.).

Yeah, the server problems are huge, but the game underneath is not nearly as good as it seemed at first blush. They have some serious work to do.

Also, if you disconnect from the internet after you start playing you can play (with no issues) until the next ALWAYS ONLINE DRM check. Wouldn't this indicate the whole glassbox thing is a bunch of horse shit?

That right there is the ticket. It hints to the strong possibility that there is a switch that can be turned on/off, either wise you'd get an instant dc and be forced exit back to the main menu if it were completely server side.

Just like what happens in Diablo 3, the moment your internet hiccups your character'd be non responsive.

At least when the game works, it's quite a joy to play.

qwerty2k

That right there is the ticket. It hints to the strong possibility that there is a switch that can be turned on/off, either wise you'd get an instant dc and be forced exit back to the main menu if it were completely server side.

Just like what happens in Diablo 3, the moment your internet hiccups your character'd be non responsive.

At least when the game works, it's quite a joy to play.

hasn't it been talked about/confirmed that regional effects/trading/stuff is all done on the server and local city stuff is done locally on the client?

Have they fixed the regional interactions? I'm in a spot in a few of my cities where I really need to be spreading out across multiple areas, industrial/residential, power, etc, but as of last night it still wasn't recognizing that my other cities existed.

I've seen surprisingly few people complaining about this. It's been happening to me in my friend's region. Nobody can import and export anything to each other, we don't benefit from each other's department upgrades on the city hall, and I'm not sure that we could all contribute to a great work either.

Covfan

This might sound dumb but how do I search regions based on names? Literally none of the options seem to do anything for me (filtering by maps or by regions with abandoned lots) and their are no text fields.
Don't actually know, if anyone wants to join add me as an Origin friend: Covfan and ill invite you to my region.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Cougar Town

correct. i invited cjdamon the other night.

Thanks for doing that. He came to me on the same night and i was really tied up in like 3 things at once including some personal stuff. I'm glad he got in so sorry for not inviting. A combination of me being busy and lousy server issues prevented that process from going smoothly.

Jedi2016

I've seen surprisingly few people complaining about this. It's been happening to me in my friend's region. Nobody can import and export anything to each other, we don't benefit from each other's department upgrades on the city hall, and I'm not sure that we could all contribute to a great work either.
Yeah, it's definitely happening in my regions. I've got three cities in the starting area (Cape Trinity or whatever it's called), and when I started the third one, I'm all "Hey, I'll just buy power from this other city that has all the excess". I got it set up in the region view, and it said it was sending power over, but the number stayed at 0, and none of my buildings ever got a lick of power. It ended up really hurting me starting off, because the residents were out of power for so damned long until I finally built a local power plant way later than I should have.

The way traffic works (or doesn't) seems to be the biggest gameplay problem with the game.

Yeah, just went down the tourism specialization path and the traffic in my city has become an absolute nightmare. The events I run at arenas are still super profitable, but not as profitable as they could be because not all tourists are able to make it to the arena before the event ends. Have like 8 buses, streetcars, and a ferry station.

RoKKeR

Yeah, just went down the tourism specialization path and the traffic in my city has become an absolute nightmare. The events I run at arenas are still super profitable, but not as profitable as they could be because not all tourists are able to make it to the arena before the event ends. Have like 8 buses, streetcars, and a ferry station.
You've got avenues? My first city was almost all avenues and I had now traffic issues. Now, it's all high density streets and I'm too scared to upgrade to avenues. I'd have to destroy a shit ton if stuff.

StUnNeR H2K

So are the recycling center's bugged? My city was depending on recycling Alloy's & Plastic to manufacture processors. All the sudden my recycling center is full of materials, but not producing anything... everything is turned on.

This has basically made me have to run my city into the ground since I was depending on the processor sales to cover the hourly loss.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
PNTl0PF.jpg

As an avid player of both SC5 and Diablo III, I lol'd

You've got avenues? My first city was almost all avenues and I had now traffic issues. Now, it's all high density streets and I'm too scared to upgrade to avenues. I'd have to destroy a shit ton if stuff.

I have several high density and streetcar avenues running through the city and high density streets in between them. Like you, I don't want to start bulldozing streets to upgrade to avenues because I don't want to lose my plopped buildings.

StUnNeR H2K

So are the recycling center's bugged? My city was depending on recycling Alloy's & Plastic to manufacture processors. All the sudden my recycling center is full of materials, but not producing anything... everything is turned on.

This has basically made me have to run my city into the ground since I was depending on the processor sales to cover the hourly loss.

Answering my own question, but....

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9337653.page

It appears I'm not the only one seeing this. It's a game breaking bug if you depend on recycled materials to supply your city. Seems destroying a rebuilding fixes it... temporarily?

Top Bottom