• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

f0rk

Answering my own question, but....

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9337653.page

It appears I'm not the only one seeing this. It's a game breaking bug if you depend on recycled materials to supply your city. Seems destroying a rebuilding fixes it... temporarily?

This seems like the kind of stuff they would patch out relatively quickly if they didn't have to use so much manpower on just having the game playable. Or maybe it's not the same people I don't know.

Amneisac

Hmm, this is true. Sadly, they'll be no community patch/mod for the fix either >.<

Yeah, this game's a hot mess I don't know how much I can expect it to improve with time. I feel bad asking Amazon for a refund, I guess I should have known better. Oh well, I bought Tropico 4 off steam for $9.99 with all the DLC. Hopefully that's a better game and will scratch my itch!

Xane

PNMS5Uw.png

I have a city missing.. where is my city? :<
Who ate it?

Update: 03/09/2013

SimCity Update 1.3

This update to SimCity contains the following updates and fixes:

General
• Fix for a crash related to the highway interchanges and vehicles.
• Traffic was optimized for complex road sections.
• Fix for a specific case of city processing that forced players to rollback their cities to a previous state.
• Fix for a crash some players saw when exiting their city.
• Rapidly clicking or accidently double clicking the Claim city button will no longer create multiple regions.
• We temporarily removed filtering by friends and maps on the Join Game screen to better support database performance. Players can still find friends' regions by going to their friends' profile pages.

Servers
• Various database optimization to address issues with connecting to our servers
• We've added 8 new servers (Oceanic 2, NA East 3, NA West 4, EU West 5, NA West 3, EU East 4, NA East 4 and EU West 6).

Well I was just playing for a little while and have decided to post some pictures of my fledgling city!

New Pillville

Pillville was my most successful city in SimCity 3000 Unlimited. A large portion of it burned to the ground and it was never able to recover. New Pillville hopes to never suffer this fate.

Currently has 34,000 citizens, and I'm netting about $8,000 an hour. Crime remains a huge problem despite an ever increasing police force and I'm not sure what else I can do about it.

georgc

At least until the major simulation problems start to surface, shortest route pathing, firefighter pathing, etc. Those are fundamental problems that ruin the game.

THIS!!! so much it annoys the crap out of me when I watch buses, recycling trucks, and traffic act retarded. "Hey i'm a empty bus and i'm one block over from 30 passengers waiting at a stop let me drive in a circle for 10 min doing nothing." or traffic clogging up a road parallel to and avenue, why not use the avenue Path finding in this game is so annoying.

Hip Hop

They got me on a loading loop as soon as they deployed the update.

Better not have lost my progress for this...

RoKKeR

"Traffic optimized for complex road layouts."

YES. Just what I needed to hear for my circle/diagonal layout city. I'm too scared to upgrade to avenues.

RoKKeR

Well I was just playing for a little while and have decided to post some pictures of my fledgling city!

New Pillville

Pillville was my most successful city in SimCity 3000 Unlimited. A large portion of it burned to the ground and it was never able to recover. New Pillville hopes to never suffer this fate.

Currently has 34,000 citizens, and I'm netting about $8,000 an hour. Crime remains a huge problem despite an ever increasing police force and I'm not sure what else I can do about it.
Education. I have a city of roughly 80k and my city is able to function with one small fire station, police station, and health clinic. All of my citizens are educated and they hardly ever start fires, commit crimes, or get sick.

And your city is looking nice!

Row

Banned
Education. I have a city of roughly 80k and my city is able to function with one small fire station, police station, and health clinic. All of my citizens are educated and they hardly ever start fires, commit crimes, or get sick.

I'm doing something wrong I think because I'm having trouble with crime/fire/health in my city of 100K despite having a large firestation + several small ones, a few clinics, and 2 police stations. This is in a city that's relatively educated and without any gambling

Raide

Not sure if got a reply from earlier or not but is there any reason to keep the lower-end schools once you get to College and Uni?

Not sure if got a reply from earlier or not but is there any reason to keep the lower-end schools once you get to Collect and Uni?

Good question. I'm not sure. And on the topic of education, what is it with high tech industry constantly bitching about not having enough high skilled workers with a university and community college near the industrial zones?

Thanks :) Dropped another public school and a high school. I also realized that most of my city didn't have access to school bus stops so I dropped down a lot of those. Hopefully I'll see an improvement soon and I'll be able to downsize my police force. Currently have 3 stations and a precinct.

RoKKeR

I'm doing something wrong I think because I'm having trouble with crime/fire/health in my city of 100K despite having a large firestation + several small ones, a few clinics, and 2 police stations. This is in a city that's relatively educated and without any gambling
Well, there are a few things you can check. If you open the Education page/data layer, you can see the percentage of students enrolled, the "level" of education, (which goes up from upgraded schools, universities, etc.) and what areas of your cities are receiving the most education.

All of these things factor into how educated your city is. I emphasized education right from the start and it's returns have been fantastic so far, and has saved me a lot on fire/police/health.

ecnal

is the region stuff back up and working yet?

still can't get commuters between cities since they did the first server hotfix that disabled cheetah speed.

Raide

Good question. I'm not sure. And on the topic of education, what is it with high tech industry constantly bitching about not having enough high skilled workers with a university and community college near the industrial zones?

I don't know if low wealth workers + education = smarter workers or if you need High wealth + education. It might be nothing but I kinda thought high wealth means they don't have to work. :D

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's maddening how the tiny fucking zones pretty much restrict any gameplay beyond "grid city".
There's absolutely no space to waste on pretty suburbs or awesomely laid out neighborhoods since the zone is too damn cramped on all sides and you need every fucking square meter.

I really hope they at least give us 8 or 10 times the zone sizes in sandbox mode soon. Anything. Filling up a zone in an hour or two and having to constantly demolish and rearrange your city just so it can keep growing is already getting tedious as fuck.

I sorely miss the spirit of the older Simcities and how I played them. The possibilities to expand in the previous games were endless.

f0rk

I can't tell if my cities are linking up probably or not. I have 1000 unfilled jobs in my small industrial/oil city where I'm trying to avoid zoning residential and 1000 unemployed low wealth people in my first city that I just built a university in. It says some are commuting but not as many as there is room to.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So people are loving the game when they are playing it?

Haven't had a single disconnect since I got the game, actually.

But to me it's currently a big disappointment. It's fun building a new city, but after an hour of play you have expanded to the zone limit in all directions and you're back to managing a grid if you want your city to be successful.

It's just not suited to how I personally play these games, so other people might feel very different.

Acorn

So another session for about 4 hours there, made an oilmining town ran out of space after about two hours.I finally said fuck it after rearranging my city to continue to grow for what seemed like the 50th time.

Haven't had a single disconnect since I got the game, actually.

But to me it's currently a big disappointment. It's fun building a new city, but after an hour of play you have expanded to the zone limit in all directions and you're back to managing a grid if you want your city to be successful.

It's just not suited to how I personally play these games, so other people might feel very different.

Your fast expanded city easily bites the dust soon or later because you have to micromange every little details. Try a more organic evolution, and when you finally reach a limit try to expand into the surrounding areas (in this regard is not very different from SimCity4, where you can easily fill up an area and then move to the others).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Everything is working great. Set up a Recycling Center so I could turn my Alloy and shit into Processors and stuff. It says No Recyclables... what can I do? I am trying to keep education high, so far nearly to 4 levels. Just missing college and University. What can I do?

Spookie

build a dormitory town near your first city!

This basically. Stop trying to fit everything in to one city and specialize. You need to build modular if you don't you're going to keep hitting caps. Even with my pure tech city I've still got a 65k pop which was enough to upgrade my city hall to get what I needed from the region.

Spookie

Everything is working great. Set up a Recycling Center so I could turn my Alloy and shit into Processors and stuff. It says No Recyclables... what can I do? I am trying to keep education high, so far nearly to 4 levels. Just missing college and University. What can I do?

They do the recycling in the morning but you also need more educated sims. You can get them from college or uni, you don't need both, also put down some libraries. You'll know your sims are educated from the solar panels on their roofs! It'll then be a case of getting your city in sync to keep cranking them out but you should be able to put down two processor production lines before hitting a recycling cap. Make sure you have your factory and recycling plant if you can on the same road it'll keep the supply flowing steadily instead of getting stuck in traffic.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Your fast expanded city easily bites the dust soon or later because you have to micromange every little details. Try a more organic evolution, and when you finally reach a limit try to expand into the surrounding areas.

I have 3 or 4 cities that are running into the millions with huge profits. They are not going to bite the dust. And I do start small, never send money and always keep a profit going while all the needs of my sims are met.

That's exactly my issue with the current state of the game though, at some point, all that's left of playing your city is micromanagement until you decide to build another. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm not saying the building isn't fun as hell. It is. But I want to expand my currently successful cities. Not start new ones over and over.

Top Bottom