• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

I built a recycling center along with the max amount of trucks and reclamation centers but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. What gives?

Great works are so fucking janky. Come to think of it, the whole trading system is. I'm producing like 10000 TVs a day and yet I can't get the last 2000 TVs into my Arcology. Why? I don't fucking know. So frustrating. I stop exporting it, set it all to use locally, and nothing happens. How did I get to 58k, but I can't get to 60k? What's going on in this game?

It's impossible to get into the NA West 2 server. I wish I could just pick it and put myself in a queue instead of playing my "alt" city.

Darklord

Banned
I built a recycling center along with the max amount of trucks and reclamation centers but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. What gives?

Same with me and health. Everyone's sick, complaining about germs and no amount of clinics will fix it. And with Sewerage.

Great works are so fucking janky. Come to think of it, the whole trading system is. I'm producing like 10000 TVs a day and yet I can't get the last 2000 TVs into my Arcology. Why? I don't fucking know. So frustrating. I stop exporting it, set it all to use locally, and nothing happens. How did I get to 58k, but I can't get to 60k? What's going on in this game?
How do you get companies to make TV's, anyway?

And now, not 10 minutes ago, I had all the metal I needed at the Arcology. But some of it spontaneously disappeared once I finally got all the TVs there I needed. Maybe it's just the game telling me to fuck off for completing a great work solo.

JWong

Banned
How do I get more profit out of my oil pumping?

I have two pumps that pretty much cover the entire oilfield, but I can never make enough to meet the Petroleum HQ upgrade requirement. I don't even meet half of it and my area is suppose to be oil rich.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm glad you got into GAFtopia without me having to invite you Murphy, because I haven't been able to play in days lol

No room to increase density
*bulldozes some road to make more room*
*building that wants to expand gets demolished too*
*new building doesn't want to expand*
*BigJonsson facepalms*

Anyone have a solution?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Everything is working great. Set up a Recycling Center so I could turn my Alloy and shit into Processors and stuff. It says No Recyclables... what can I do? I am trying to keep education high, so far nearly to 4 levels. Just missing college and University. What can I do?

4 levels of education should be high enough. Just wait for a bit. It takes a moment for the game to register. citizens don't start putting out recycle bins until you plop a center.

Smiley90

No room to increase density
*bulldozes some road to make more room*
*building that wants to expand gets demolished too*
*new building doesn't want to expand*
*BigJonsson facepalms*

Anyone have a solution?

Don't build the roads so close to begin with?

Soi-Fong

My current city on GAFtopia

spark_2013-03-09_18-3lajgb.png

Dat aliasing... Please turn on AA! My eyes!

Although its not what I wanted or expected I am digging the idea that this is an organic simulation of a city over time.
Is there a way to see what server your friends have cities in before having to login to that server and play the tutorial? This is going to be worse for new players now that they keep adding so many new servers.

personally, I do nothing but high density avenues until I can afford streetcars

I don't think this approach is good for a number of reasons. They're too expensive early on, they don't do anything better than high density streets, they take up WAY more total space once you have them all gridded out, and traffic problems can be pretty much solved by building a few bus stations and maxing them out on buses and park and rides.

munroe

Absolutely loving this game!

Seems the region sharing is working, well at least between my own cities in a private region. Been playing on Euro west 3 fine, no problems at all.

Maybe having the last date for launch (UK) worked out quite well.

A tip to those that are having issues with queuing

-If you attempt to join a server which has a queue, don't bother waiting for the countdown, it's pointless, just keep hopping back and forth between servers and you'll eventually get in.
i.e. Queue on Euro West 3,(Fri08) queue, switched to Euro West 4, another queue, switched back to West 3, got in.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dumb question, but is there a way to reset my city? I've been on a practice run of sorts so far and things are kinda messy. Honestly 90% of my problem is all the crooked roads, it drives my ocd side crazy.

munroe

Dumb question, but is there a way to reset my city? I've been on a practice run of sorts so far and things are kinda messy. Honestly 90% of my problem is all the crooked roads, it drives my ocd side crazy.

Yeah, my first city is like that, soldiering on though, urm if you go bankrupt you can reset the city, not sure of another way yet.

Seeing an odd glitch (potentially) where 2 buildings try and occupy the same space (mega density?)

i.e. a new high density building builds on top another building., will try and upload a picture when I can

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, my first city is like that, soldiering on though, urm if you go bankrupt you can reset the city, not sure of another way yet.

Ah, I see. There are a few open plots in my GAF region (VW2) but it would be a dick move to waste a space on my abandoned city. Guess I'll have to deal with it.

boltz

Alright my first post on gaf and it might as well be for a series that I've really enjoyed each iteration of.

So after watching those traffic videos, I wanted to test for myself how the traffic worked because the shortest distance thing would've really bugged me. It turns out that the traffic isn't routed just based on the shortest distance, but I can't say exactly how traffic routes are prioritzed.

Here's a pic of three routes of varying lengths - you can see that the middle one is the shortest, yet all three routes are utilized. However, initially only the middle one was being used, and only after I demolished it and rebuilt it did the other routes start being used, so maybe the sims learn different routes? Or maybe just a bug? This was pre patch 1.3.

Spark_2013-03-09_07-39-05.png

Here's another one of traffic not just using the shortest route:

Spark_2013-03-09_11-37-00.png

So I'm happy that the sims know to use alternate routes. However, there are some other areas of traffic that could be improved. Larger, more heavily used roads should have traffic light priority over smaller, intersecting roads. It's dumb to see an avenue backed up where a small, barely used road crosses it.

Also, traffic should be able to turn right on red if there's no cross traffic. If you look at the bottom left corner of the second pic, you can see traffic backed up waiting to turn right onto the avenue with no opposing traffic because the light is red.

Besides for these things and some weird muncipal vehicle logic which I hope will be fixed in future patches, I would say that the traffic is modeled pretty well considering that every sim is simulated. I like to just watch the traffic do its thing and drivers in the game mess up like drivers do in real life, like blocking intersections, not letting in drivers trying to enter a road from a building, and cutting in in lines of traffic.

One thing that boggles me are all the U-turns that are made in the game. I see vehicles making U-turns all the time, but I can't tell if that's just how they need to get where they are going or that they are being dumb. I hope it's not the latter.

I'm also another vote for bigger city sizes. At first I thought that it would be fine, but it's pretty annoying, especially if you are not playing on a flat map with no water features. I'm hoping that all the space that was left in between different cities is just a way for Maxis to easily expand the borders of the current cities so that you can keep playing them and make them bigger.

Smiley90

I've recently been thinking about not letting the Highway-Entrance go right into the middle of the city, but actually go to the CORNER, so that all the within-city traffic doesn't have to cut through the lanes that regional traffic would take and block the highway lights. Thoughts?

frontieruk

I really need to stay away from this thread, all the cities so far look amazing , I'm really liking the look of the game, but I know it'll become a time sink and I'm not keen on the nickle and dime approach EA has taken :-/

Really finding it difficult to actually design a layout for cities that I like. I keep starting new ones because of it lol. Just need to stick to one and get on with it I guess.

I had a convoy of moving trucks stuck going in a circle around a low density residential block......I blew up one road and they figured out how to get out of the area lol

Hasney

I give up. The region isn't recognising the city hall additions in other cities now. Needs a major, major patch as well as the server crap.

munroe

it seems that the whole being able to plant parks in other people's cities also extends to transportation, basically if it has a sub menu, you can view the buildable structures.

Anson225

i have a question on trading. right now i have a processor factory producing tons of processors, and I have also set up a processor lot at my trade depot. I have set the depot to export processors and I saw trucks of processors delivering to the depot. BUT the lot never shows any inventory and i never earn anything. am i doing something wrong or its just bugged out?

another question is, all my residential buildings are high density and high wealth but i'm still hovering 90k people - what should I do? thanks

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
God, my city is such a hellhole. It's probably that one place in the region where everyone is scared to drive through. To profit on the situation I've decided to focus on sewage treatment. I'll take as much of it as I can for my neighbors. It's filthy but we're the right people for the job. Aside from building sewage treatment plans, what can I do to specialize in this?

How the hell do you get educated workers?

I have 2 grade schools, a high school a community college and an university and all my factories still close because they don't have educated workers.

Smiley90

How the hell do you get educated workers?

I have 2 grade schools, a high school a community college and an university and all my factories still close because they don't have educated workers.

It takes a while to educate people, give it some time! Also make sure you have school bus stops around

boltz

Good research. They just patched and said they improved routing in complex traffic so the old videos are probably obsolete now.

:p Yeah I also noticed that if you destroy the ends of a road section with vehicles on it, they will keep going up and down that stretch over and over again since they are trapped. I wonder if those sims will eventually die or something?

Does anyone notice their trees keep disappearing? I'm thinking that they get consumed by pollution since it tends to happen around polluted areas. Either way it's annoying to have to keep replacing them.

Random pic from my city:
Spark_2013-03-08_21-43-23.png

sunnz

What are the chances of them increasing the city plot/ area in which you can make your city?

It looks way too small and limited. If it was larger I would buy it instantly, even with the DRM crap :p

I will get it eventually though.

I would have liked it more though if it was maybe more in depth, like winter was added (make it a lot better imo) and other things, but i can get over this.

If only this game allowed modding :(

Smiley90

What are the chances of them increasing the city plot/ area in which you can make your city?

It looks way too small and limited. If it was larger I would buy it instantly, even with the DRM crap :p

I would have liked it more though if it was maybe more in depth, like winter was added (make it a lot better imo) and other things, but i can get over this.

Larger Cities are most likely going to come through expansions/DLC.

Game WILL allow modding eventually, has been confirmed.

It is SOOOOO constricting, but I believe they have said somewhere that they will increase the city size. Hold off until then.

Raven77

They said they are planning to, but who knows.

As it stands now, yes it is most definitely too small. What it does is forces you to just constantly start new cities as you quickly max out your current city (yes, quickly, it really doesn't take that long if you plan properly).

Good to hear Lucy mention that tourism is being looked into. Most of the problems from specializing in tourism stem from traffic, but even then it's hard to get tourists to actually visit your attractions that aren't arenas. Few more shots of my Great GAF region city:

Smiley90

How much do server transfers and city renames cost anyways?

There's no such thing as server transfers, you can play on whatever server you want? or do you mean transfering a region to another server? Because that's not possible. But you can play on whatever server you want.

And I'm pretty sure you can rename your city anytime, as much as you want to.

Top Bottom