• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

The problem is that I choose export, and they don't leave! Eventually it does about 500 processors at a time, but not fast enough to complete the challenge. Is this a bug?

I dunno, I don't have a problem quickly exporting stuff. My problem is my recycling center stopped working for some unknown reason. I guess yours is still working??

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
How can you get 200K+? I am only around 110K+ and I can't see how to grow much more without taking off some industry for example.

Rubixcuba

Banned
i6e7WJmSvfCzh.png

You need to mine/drill for resources, then trade. See the screenshot above and the disconnect between the hourly loss and the total bank balance. I'm raking it in!

Visited your city before in our GAF region, it is amazing !! Your point about the trading/hourly loss is true, have no idea how any city will be able to have a balanced budget once they start breaking through the 100,000 population barrier.

Visited your city before in our GAF region, it is amazing !! Your point about the trading/hourly loss is true, have no idea how any city will be able to have a balanced budget once they start breaking through the 100,000 population barrier.

I managed to do that until 210.000.

King_Moc

Banned
Well your city still is plateauing at 281.000.

I've got lots of problems with space usage at the moment that i'm gradually improving. I think i can probably get to 320,000.

Thanks! Is the visiting working now? I was worried it would kick me out like it was before.

Vitor711

how did you manage to buy it? since at billing, it asks for country, and you can't pick anything besides indian countries

EDIT: Reposted from a few pages back

I can confirm that this still works - £18 for me from the UK, downloading now.

For anyone having issues or worried that it's complicated, just log into the Indian Origin page using your normal Origin e-mail address and password and enter your details as per normal (actual address and credit card details), you only have to change the country you live in to 'India' for it to work. That's it. Other than that, it's identical to using the normal origin store.

Jhriad

Buying water from my neighbors is broken so that it buys the water but it never reaches my town. These bugs are almost as bad as the server issues.

Ghost23

I dunno, I don't have a problem quickly exporting stuff. My problem is my recycling center stopped working for some unknown reason. I guess yours is still working??

Mine goes on and off. It never has too much recyclable material at a time. It's very weird because my city is almost all recycle now.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Buying water from my neighbors is broken so that it buys the water but it never reaches my town. These bugs are almost as bad as the server issues.

Nobody needs to be buying water from the neighbors: put a Advanced Facilities thing on your Mayor House or whatever the fuck is the name of that building (or somebody in your region), start a Sewage Treatment plant and watch the clean pure water pile underneath it.

Harvest it for infinite water.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think the game now gives priority to players that have cities on the server.

Which is both Intelligent and Stupid at the same time.

Intelligent because it allows people with games going on to join the server
Stupid because it prevents people from playing with their friends.

f0rk

Is there a cap on the amount of power you can buy from another city? My industrial city has like 200Mw excess but the main city isn't taking any more of it since I upgraded so now they are all complaining.
City Hall upgrades aren't going across either so I'm guessing it's just broke.

Nobody needs to be buying water from the neighbors: put a Advanced Facilities thing on your Mayor House or whatever the fuck is the name of that building (or somebody in your region), start a Sewage Treatment plant and watch the clean pure water pile underneath it.

Harvest it for infinite water.
That kind of stuff takes up quite a bit of space and costs a lot in daily fees, why should a city that isn't utility-oriented use that space for a sewage treatment plant they don't need just to get water when they can buy water from their neighbors while sending their sewage to their neighbors?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
no way man.
no way it can sustain my 160,000 population.
solar only outputs 8MW. versus 200 on nuclear

My solar power plant is generating 360MW, 3 solar grids are turned off and I still can install another 2.

Sure, it's the advanced "Concentrated Solar Array", but you know... :D

Hey, this is weird. Somehow I ended up with 3 street car parking spots side by side on a street (I must placed them by accident), but each one has 4600+ users?

Does that mean if there was only one street car point, i'd have 13k+? Or each street car point is actually just giving me the total for that street?

zou

Glad to see servers are still crapping out for the most parts, thought I'd miss the party.

Also, I had no idea they were actually using AWS for hosting. Unless they are completely incompetent, there is literally no reason why they would be having server issues. They could spin up 1000 instances in a couple of hours, they just choose not to.

Koomaster

So is your recycling center actually working after this last patch? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but mine stopped generating new materials. Nothing changed with my city, and it's been generating thousands of processors a day, until now.
Nothing has changed about my recycling center. It's been operating the same since I opened it.

What has changed though is now my city seems dead. I got an error that my city wasn't processing correctly and it shot me back to the main menu. Then it asked me to either roll back my city or abandon it. So I chose to roll back. Now it refuses to load my city. So how long am I supposed to wait for this roll back to happen? Is this common?

We wanted to let you all know about the new test server that we put up on 3/10/2013. It’s going to be called “Test”, so you'll know exactly which one it is.

1. What is it for?
This server is used by the SimCity developers and players to test changes and new features before they are released across all the other servers. This Test Server will improve our ability to deploy these updates as quickly and accurately as possible.

2. Can I play on that server?
You can and we would be very grateful if you did, as we need people to help test. But by it’s very nature it will not be as stable as our other live server environments.

3. What does that mean for players?
You’ll have the sincere appreciation of the SimCity development team for helping us test the game, but your experience might be unstable. We also may take this Test Server down at any time, and you could lose progress in your saved cities. You should not lose your cities on this test server, but it is always a possibility.

https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-test-server

Masochists unite!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Welp. Decided to raises taxes from 10% to 15%. Saw my population boom from 105k to 148k and eventually to over 200k. But at this point I was struggling to balance the budget. Tried to lower taxes while hoping exports would sustain me, but no luck - city has depleted to 14k now and I have no idea how to get people in, even with taxes now at 7%. All my buildings are vacant. :/

Gnub

We wanted to let you all know about the new test server that we put up on 3/10/2013. It’s going to be called “Test”, so you'll know exactly which one it is.

1. What is it for?
This server is used by the SimCity developers and players to test changes and new features before they are released across all the other servers. This Test Server will improve our ability to deploy these updates as quickly and accurately as possible.

2. Can I play on that server?
You can and we would be very grateful if you did, as we need people to help test. But by it’s very nature it will not be as stable as our other live server environments.

3. What does that mean for players?
You’ll have the sincere appreciation of the SimCity development team for helping us test the game, but your experience might be unstable. We also may take this Test Server down at any time, and you could lose progress in your saved cities. You should not lose your cities on this test server, but it is always a possibility.
https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-test-server

Masochists unite!

How is this even possible?

Nero3000

Bah...after successfully "stimulating" residential density growth, my roads were full of new residents waiting to move in.

At that point a meteor shower hit the centre of residential district, and with the roads clogged my fire trucks couldn't get anywhere, half of it burned down (leaving my tax income low). Also the meteor took a nice radioactive shit in the middle of my high wealth area.

Now half my buildings are being rebuilt and I have this massive hole where the radioactive area is.

But the server went down, maybe it'll roll back before the meteor...

King_Moc

Banned
I just got the town hall upgrade at 292,000 people, thinking it would be the last one. There's another at 600,000! How the hell are you supposed to get that many?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if it's possible to have one zone be all residential, one commercial, and one industrial? Them make sure each zone has power, water, bus/train, to allow the people to just commute between the 3 zones for each thing.

Prologue

EDIT: Reposted from a few pages back

I can confirm that this still works - £18 for me from the UK, downloading now.

For anyone having issues or worried that it's complicated, just log into the Indian Origin page using your normal Origin e-mail address and password and enter your details as per normal (actual address and credit card details), you only have to change the country you live in to 'India' for it to work. That's it. Other than that, it's identical to using the normal origin store.

Did this last night and still have nothing. The charge went through on my CC. Just no email yet.

Edit: Got it working. No email, just downloaded and loaded up orgin.

King_Moc

Banned
Thinking of 292k is crazy to me. Is your layout a strict grid/high density?

Pretty much, it's not a perfect grid but its pretty close. If you were 100% residential everywhere you could maybe get 600,000, but you'd need to buy every service you need from other cities and tax would be your only income.

Arksy

Are all the maps flat with close to zero elevation? I'd love for something like a tiered city or CBD on a hill away from some residential areas...

frontieruk

Been playing on EU West 5 all evening not a hitch... Lonely though as I made my own region as I'm learning to play, never really got into 4, though I've got a feeling I'll be going back, just to see how big cities got.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Are all the maps flat with close to zero elevation? I'd love for something like a tiered city or CBD on a hill away from some residential areas...
Nope, there's plenty that are hilly and/or have valleys. My current city has that and it's kind of screwed me. I can't zone the steep areas and I've lost a ton of real estate. Though I did manage to get the city to 212K people, but then bulldozed everything and started over once I saved up 1.24 million simoleans.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just spammed Street Cars on my city - put two where I had one, for instance) and now 120k people are using the goddamn streetcars.

I had 30k doing that before doing it.

Sure, the wait jumped to 55 minutes, but it's worth it: No longer I have traffic jams.

I have 160k people on the city.

I'm thikning about putting another street car depot. I wonder if that would make the wait go down?

I'm getting the Unskilled Worker problem again - but I think that's just because I don't have enough people for my industries

Lingitiz

Hmm.

That £18 deal is interesting.

General consensus on the game so far? Server issues aside? Yay or nay?

City size is a bummer, but overall its alot of fun. Its really interesting to play with a friend in a region and talk discuss how we can help each other.

sangreal

The problem is that I choose export, and they don't leave! Eventually it does about 500 processors at a time, but not fast enough to complete the challenge. Is this a bug?

trade depots only export once or twice a day. you need a trade port. ships come every 180 minutes and trains come every 360 minutes

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh god, my community college, which has a capacity of 2500, is teaching 3.5k people.

I'm already 6k on the hole, but I make so much money out of recyclables that I have 600k+

I can't build another college.

RoKKeR

Hmm.

That £18 deal is interesting.

General consensus on the game so far? Server issues aside? Yay or nay?
Loads of fun when it is all working. Many have issues with city size, but personally I don't mind it. I impulse-bought the game on Monday and despite the abysmal launch, have not once regretted it.

The game is fun as hell.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
So my latest city in Neogaf Backup plan got the forever "Rollback" error.... that city was bangin too. 200k residents, 150k daily income....

3 days wasted.

Any gaffers on NA East 2, want to invite me to a new game. OriginID is Brawndoh.

Apparently I just enjoy getting raped by EA too much to stop....

Top Bottom