• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Just destroyed my first city. Population upto 137k, 88% approval rating, great education, great traffic, safe nuclear power plant. Great everything really. My downfall? Not enough income. I could not support the city financially. I relied too much on taxes. Taxes too high, sims leave, not enough people paying taxes, have raise taxes even more until I was bleeding to death. Trading recycables was not enough. Had fun and going in I knew it was a practice city. I was surprised how well it did and I was proud of it.

B-Dex

All I'm getting this morning is Network Error. Servers are down. Over and over and over. Finally got to the main menu and can't do anything because the server is down.

Guess I'm playing something else today. Seems I can only get on at 2am to play.

NEW PATCH ONLINE!

Update: 03/10/2013

SimCity Update 1.3

This update to SimCity contains the following updates and fixes:

General

• Update to the “select a server” dialog in the game launcher. This will now indicate which servers you have active cities on

Note: At the moment, it is going to be showing the icon for any server you’ve been to as a player. We’ll be updating this soon to show how many regions you have (X/10) per server. We know this is a little confusing for now, but we will improve.

• Fix issue where selection shard did not display when previously selected server is down
• We've fixed a problem where some players were getting stuck when switching shards in the server select menu

Servers

• Opened 1 new server, Antarctica

-

And the very first review from Italy by Eurogamer.it
http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/2013-03-10-videogiochi-simcity-2013-review-recensione

Jhriad

Just destroyed my first city. Population upto 137k, 88% approval rating, great education, great traffic, safe nuclear power plant. Great everything really. My downfall? Not enough income. I could not support the city financially. I relied too much on taxes. Taxes too high, sims leave, not enough people paying taxes, have raise taxes even more until I was bleeding to death. Trading recycables was not enough. Had fun and going in I knew it was a practice city. I was surprised how well it did and I was proud of it.

This is pretty much what happens to my roommates cities everytime.

Zeekaas

I'm having a city with 320K people. But I'm almost on the brink of being broke. University is a huge money sink just like a hospital and police prenict. I do have a processor factory but was foolish to just build one.

Also having trouble to get water as most places are dryed up and people in the region don't have enough. Anytips?

My first city so far...

Spark_2013-03-11_05-39-31.jpg

Spark_2013-03-11_05-37-00.jpg

It's a bit of an ad hoc mess, but at least I'm in the black, everyone's happy and I have an expo centre that basically prints money.

It's weird how the city size was my biggest reservation before buying it, but now that I'm playing it, it doesn't seem that big a deal.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's weird how the city size was my biggest reservation before buying it, but now that I'm playing it, it doesn't seem that big a deal.

It's becuase it really isn't. I have all the same problems I had in earlier sim city games: I want to expand, but I don't have enough space, so I just restart from scratch with that in mind and properly plan my city and I can get it to work on the space I have.

Rinse and repeat.

Koomaster

Same here. I just spent a ton of Simoleons on the recycling center and 2 extra upgrades (well, a lot of cash for my 10000pop town), and it's doing jack shit.
You need a trade depot to take your recyclables and then sell them on the market. Otherwise the recycling center only sends them to businesses/factories who need them in your town. If you don't have any who need them, they sit in the recycling center backing it up.

Basically it goes..
Recycling Center: Recycling containers -> sort -> plastic/metal/alloy/etc containers -> Send to factories/businesses in your city or the Trade Depot

Trade Depot: Holding containers for plastic/metal/alloy/etc. -> Set to Export on the Global Market and they leave your city and you get money.

You have to make sure your Trade Depot has modules set up for whatever you are recycling. The Recycling Center starts with just a plastic collection module so you will need a plastic storage module for your Trade Depot. If you add metal collection module for your Recycling Center you will have to add a metal storage module to your Trade Depot.

The Trade Depot btw stars off with a freight collection module which is good for factories who keep screaming about we need places to ship our freight.

Anyway, just be sure once you have all this set up that you select global market on the Trade Depot and select each category and tell it to export. You definitely don't want it to import unless your city specializes in electronics and those buildings need shipments that your recycling center can't provide.

Raide

Had my first bit "FU EA" moment. Playing a region with my fried, spent a few hours building a city and it was going really well. Game kicks my out and said I had to Roll Back or Abandon. Now it won't let me back in regardless.

Orbis

All I'm getting this morning is Network Error. Servers are down. Over and over and over. Finally got to the main menu and can't do anything because the server is down.

Guess I'm playing something else today. Seems I can only get on at 2am to play.
Yeah it has periods like this. Usually evenings when I actually want to play. Currently I'm just trying to get invited to my Gaf region but the server has been full for hours and you need to be on the server to get an invite. Why is this shit still happening?

Fuck man it is hard to find a empty city spot to claim in Eu west1..
If gaf wants to play originname:blackwaterEl1te

Its kinda boring playing alone when you all that extra wasteland.

antonz

is the trade depot and trade port redundant?

The trade port is fantastic to have but you need to really go all out to unlock it being able to store everything. Each storage bin at the trade port is 10,000 units of item so you can mass store a lot of stuff and when the cargo ship comes in you can suddenly sell half the port in 1 second.

My city failed at 282.000 people. Its impossible to balance an even budget at this point. maybe you need some neigbourhood deals to make enough money to deal with the crap your sims want. I was raging so i destroyed half the city.

You need a trade depot to take your recyclables and then sell them on the market. Otherwise the recycling center only sends them to businesses/factories who need them in your town. If you don't have any who need them, they sit in the recycling center backing it up.

Basically it goes..
Recycling Center: Recycling containers -> sort -> plastic/metal/alloy/etc containers -> Send to factories/businesses in your city or the Trade Depot

Trade Depot: Holding containers for plastic/metal/alloy/etc. -> Set to Export on the Global Market and they leave your city and you get money.

You have to make sure your Trade Depot has modules set up for whatever you are recycling. The Recycling Center starts with just a plastic collection module so you will need a plastic storage module for your Trade Depot. If you add metal collection module for your Recycling Center you will have to add a metal storage module to your Trade Depot.

The Trade Depot btw stars off with a freight collection module which is good for factories who keep screaming about we need places to ship our freight.

Anyway, just be sure once you have all this set up that you select global market on the Trade Depot and select each category and tell it to export. You definitely don't want it to import unless your city specializes in electronics and those buildings need shipments that your recycling center can't provide.

So is your recycling center actually working after this last patch? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but mine stopped generating new materials. Nothing changed with my city, and it's been generating thousands of processors a day, until now.

There is some delay, both server related and intentional. That said, they will only ever buy enough to cover the shortfall, so you should be at 0 excess
It's like this for over 30minutes now. Switching back and forth does not work. It's funny cause when in the region overview I can see the one city is only buying 28MW and is 10MW short as well as the other city does have 150 to spare.

Train and ship don't seem to work as well. Perhaps the server has some hickups :(

Besides:

What happens, when I'm not playing but my friends are? The game isn't running like in a F2P browser game, right?

How does that work? Let's say I make a industrial city. I collect some money, throw it at some expensive buildings, take the 3 credits @ 100k and gift them away. After this I never touch it again, it's just for serving as a industrial/companion city to work at. Would this work?

And finally: Is there a way to control busstops and trash trucks (to some degree this counts against police and fire trucks as well)? They always seem to use the smae routes one after another. Shouldn't they devide the city and its workload? stupid AI :D

Ghost23

My first (technically second) city! It is an education/electronics city. Still trying to work on that $1,500,000 processor challenge.

yHVmnq0.jpg

tYaMu4E.jpg

sangreal

It's like this for over 30minutes now. Switching back and forth does not work. It's funny cause when in the region overview I can see the one city is only buying 28MW and is 10MW short as well as the other city does have 150 to spare.

Train and ship don't seem to work as well. Perhaps the server has some hickups :(

Besides:

What happens, when I'm not playing but my friends are? The game isn't running like in a F2P browser game, right?

How does that work? Let's say I make a industrial city. I collect some money, throw it at some expensive buildings, take the 3 credits @ 100k and gift them away. After this I never touch it again, it's just for serving as a industrial/companion city to work at. Would this work?

And finally: Is there a way to control busstops and trash trucks (to some degree this counts against police and fire trucks as well)? They always seem to use the smae routes one after another. Shouldn't they devide the city and its workload? stupid AI :D

Yes, that works. it doesnt run at all when you're not in the city so it cant run out of money or anything. Not much you can do about the terrible driving AI.

Definity

Anyone having trouble finishing a great work? I keep trying to send alloy to an arcology but it's stalled out at 950/1000. Tried stopping it and starting it again but nothing. Anyone?

King_Moc

Banned
i6e7WJmSvfCzh.png

My city failed at 282.000 people. Its impossible to balance an even budget at this point. maybe you need some neigbourhood deals to make enough money to deal with the crap your sims want. I was raging so i destroyed half the city.

You need to mine/drill for resources, then trade. See the screenshot above and the disconnect between the hourly loss and the total bank balance. I'm raking it in!

Schools! I have a University in my town but it isn't connected by road to yours.

You need to educate your sims. Build a working school system with elementary, highschool and university. Dont know if your university needs the addons.

It may be too late. You need educated people, so you need a full education system. And workers, so make sure you don't only have rich people in your town.

fack.
i need money! :*(

Top Bottom