• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

hittman

Banned
ugh, game itself is broken.
i've literally had one city 90% commercial, and the neighbours 90% residential, and the res city complains about no shopping.

GO NEXT DOOR YOU FUCKING CUNTS.

the sim is broken. plain and simple.

oh, both cities are medium to high wealth.

also, why just why do emergency services wait for traffic lights?
why are there no slip lanes for left/right turns?
why can't i change imperial to metric (not a game changer i know, but seriously, there's like 3 countries who still use imperial)

lingiii

Banned
can someone give me a quick run-down on density? how do I increase it?

I'm in a constant state of "YOU NEED WORKERS HEAVY RESISDENTIAL DEMAND" but I've zoned the entire map and more than 80% of it is zoned residential :/

zou

So all servers are actually hosted at AWS Ireland. Would have thought they would take advantage of the various data centers available (US East/West, Oregon, California, Brazil, Tokyo & Australia) rather than stick everything into one zone. Not only are you going to deal with higher latency, but if something were to take down EU-West-1 (as happened to US-East a few times) there goes the game. Though I guess on the plus side, this means regardless of how Maxis is storing game data (EBS, RDS, S3 etc) it's not only technically possible but actually damn easy to copy/move data across servers. Would have been a bigger challenge across different data centers. So again, the only reason this wouldn't be possible is because they choose to not do it.

Which actually brings up an interesting question: Why the hell did they setup different "servers"? They are all hosted in the same location so obviously it's not because of that. And these aren't actually physical boxes where it also would make sense. Instead, they've set up some 30 load balancers and called it a day. And it seems rather than actually take advantage of the infrastructure that AWS offers, they just set up new LBs. The idea behind Amazon's ELB is that you can scale on demand. You set some threshold (say 50% CPU or 10s latency or 1000 requests per minute or whatever), set a min/max number of instances and watch as AWS spins up new instances to handle your load. Oh and you pay only by the hour, so spinning up 100 decently specced boxes (say 16 GiB, 8 Cores) would cost them a whopping $50/h on demand (or $27 otherwise).

Which brings me back to the game saves: They keep acting as if they are dealing with localized systems (maintenance, can't access save data on other "servers"). However, there is really only two ways of where they are storing data. They've either completely bastardized the ELBs and are pretending they are servers (just set min/max scale to 1/1/). Including storing data "locally". Or they are storing the data somewhere else. In which case it shouldn't matter where you connect and you should be able to access your cities regardless of the "server".

Edit: They are actually running a few servers behind each ELB, so that's something.

hittman

Banned
can someone give me a quick run-down on density? how do I increase it?

I'm in a constant state of "YOU NEED WORKERS HEAVY RESISDENTIAL DEMAND" but I've zoned the entire map and more than 80% of it is zoned residential :/
parks and public utilities, education etc.

what i want to know is, how do i get shoppers.
my sims in the residential town always complain about no shopping, because i set it up with the express intention of them going next door to shop at the mostly-commercial town.
yet they still complain. so i bulldoze them.

makes me feel better.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I just wanted to say its finally good to have a relaxing game to play while having anime on the 2nd monitor

Remmy2112

ugh, game itself is broken.
i've literally had one city 90% commercial, and the neighbours 90% residential, and the res city complains about no shopping.

GO NEXT DOOR YOU FUCKING CUNTS.

the sim is broken. plain and simple.

oh, both cities are medium to high wealth.

also, why just why do emergency services wait for traffic lights?
why are there no slip lanes for left/right turns?
why can't i change imperial to metric (not a game changer i know, but seriously, there's like 3 countries who still use imperial)

The amount of workers and shoppers compared to actual population is actually.. incredibly low. So it may actually be that not enough shoppers are in fact being provided. When you are in each city click on the population button, then details, and watch to see how many are commuting out and in. You may also have to flip between cities multiple times if you are playing alone and wait a bit for it to begin to take effect.

sangreal

The amount of workers and shoppers compared to actual population is actually.. incredibly low. So it may actually be that not enough shoppers are in fact being provided. When you are in each city click on the population button, then details, and watch to see how many are commuting out and in. You may also have to flip between cities multiple times if you are playing alone and wait a bit for it to begin to take effect.

He is having the opposite problem... they're complaining about not enough shops. The answer is probably that the shops you have are the wrong wealth level

Does sending alloy to the Arcology just take forever like money gifts? Ive got a recycling plant, and my Trade Depots arent selling my alloy, but the 0/1000 isnt going up!

Sadly this game will be a ghost town in a month. Cities are way too small to hold the playerbase together for long.

Yep. Also, I think even if they increase the city size, it won't draw many long term players back, because the gameplay doesn't feel very deep to me. Its too simple and too restricted.

Myomoto

If anybody's got any opens spots in a region, feel free to invite me (I should be Frydendahl on Origin). I've been tinkering around a fair bit on my own now, but managing an entire region of cities on your own ends up making you not care too much about each individual city.

If anybody's got any opens spots in a region, feel free to invite me (I should be Frydendahl on Origin). I've been tinkering around a fair bit on my own now, but managing an entire region of cities on your own ends up making you not care too much about each individual city.

Sent u a FR

Raven77

Sadly this game will be a ghost town in a month. Cities are way too small to hold the playerbase together for long.

Couldn't agree more.

The small city size will kill it for most people. I agree and like the idea of having to use my land better, but they took it way too far.

sangreal

I think it will also be hurt by how easy/simple it is. I was never good at SimCity but I have no issue building a successful city and unlocking everything

Mik2121

They definitely need to make the game a little bit more challenging. As sangreal said, I was horrible at making good towns in SC4 and every time I was able to gain profit it felt great.. now it's kinda hard to mess it up. Only my first town was a mess, but after the second one I've been able to be on the black all the time.

Also they need to make larger terrains. Sure, making specialized towns is fun too, but I wanna spend a couple months working on just one massive town... :(

hittman

Banned
He is having the opposite problem... they're complaining about not enough shops. The answer is probably that the shops you have are the wrong wealth level

he's right, i don't have enough shoppers

does anyone have a ballpark on the ratio of res to commercial, given both are the same wealth levels?

Pardon me if someone already posted this, though this video helped me understand how the roads and intersections work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8lhpINmXE

I noticed a big improvement in a new city where I connected the highway offramp to a longer avenue which was intersected largely by medium density and lower streets. All in all, I only had 3 intersections with street lights off of that avenue, one being a second avenue that cut across. This showed a remarkable improvement compared to my earlier cities that had high density intersections with street lights all over the place, forcing frequent bottlenecks and stopping tourists and delivery trucks from coming in.

Thanks, this was a big help.

RkOwnage

Any gaffers have a city free in their region? I am looking for some people to play it with, none of my friends have bothered buying the game due to all the issues, but I really want to give it a shot!

Thanks in advance.

Origin ID: Rkownage

Zafir

Finally got a city to 250k and then the server decided to spazz out. Getting incorrect information from the server. For example the great works airport was completed ages ago for every other region apart from this city, and it's still asking me to send alloy and metal. >.>

hittman

Banned
oh, alright. Not what you said though:

it's in the specialization menu

my bad. i mean from the perspective of the commercial city, they are complaining about no shoppers, while the residential city complains about no shops... when they are right next door in the region

Jrmint

Apparently departments still don't work within your own region?

I have 2 cities in that island region and have like 5 departments in the one, but yet it's not recognizing them.

Is this a known issue?

Ballistik

They screwed up with you guys who are having log in issues into the original servers. Since a lot of people started their regions on those, they're the busiest.

I've been connecting to Antartica just fine haha

foladar

I have 2 cities in that island region and have like 5 departments in the one, but yet it's not recognizing them.

Is this a known issue?

It was working for my region last night on NA East 3, though I can't seem to claim another city. Me and a friend were sharing utilities and stuff like that.

Zafir

Is this a known issue?

It's a known issue it can take a while for it to update and give you access. I waited for about half an hour to an hour earlier for it to update that my friend had placed a department of utilities in another city.

Mik2121

Any gaffers have a city free in their region? I am looking for some people to play it with, none of my friends have bothered buying the game due to all the issues, but I really want to give it a shot!

Thanks in advance.

Origin ID: Rkownage

Add me (Mik2121x) and search for the game I'm at on Europe West 4. We are 5 people now and I believe there's still a couple slots available in the region :D

Top Bottom