• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

beanman25

Called my sister last night to order india before it went down. She came through!! Didn't hear from her until now, but I got the game!

Bumhead

Banned
Hmm.

So the lad on another forum who is sorting out our shared region has said he has set it up on Euro Server 6, but as this is currently full, nobody can access it.

That's a problem before I've even booted the game up myself yet. Not a great start.

It was probably my alloy gift since you needed some and I'm mr moneybags sitting on 12million and producing tons of tvs and computers haha.

yup, i can't accept your gift.
im this close to abandoning my city.
a third of the land is nuclear waste.
and my sims are dying because of the radiation. :(

9kiRO.jpg

Well after not playing a sim city since 2000, the plot sizes seem tiny. On the plus side I still have a pretty good idea what I'm doing which was a shock.

Dekadez

Neo Member
I'm done defending this game. My city suddenly wasn't functioning properly and I had to rollback or abandon. It rolled me back to where I was about 4 hours ago.

Omiee

LOL.

You can't

Best bet is to tax the hell out of it and let it die then bulldoze it all.

fuuuuuck i buldozed everything :( have no money to rebuild it.

i can donate money from another city but for something kind of reason the money never arrives.

Pandemic

Anyone else find it annoying when cars try to do U-turns in the stupidest places, then blocks traffic.. And when traffic merge into one lane, and need to turn right/left into a street but can't cause of the continuous amount of oncoming traffic..

Ghost23

To be completely honest, after finishing my first big city and almost completing our great work, I feel as though there isn't too much to see. Every city starts out exactly the same, and because the plots are so tiny, there isn't much room for variety. I mean I have enjoyed what I have played so far, but I'm not sure how long it is going to keep my interest. Anyone feel the same way?

Zemm

To be completely honest, after finishing my first big city and almost completing our great work, I feel as though there isn't too much to see. Every city starts out exactly the same, and because the plots are so tiny, there isn't much room for variety. I mean I have enjoyed what I have played so far, but I'm not sure how long it is going to keep my interest. Anyone feel the same way?
Definitely, the replayability is going to be quite poor, because like you said, the small cities kill variety, especially in a region where all the other cities are taken by friends so you can only control the one.

Xane

fuuuuuck i buldozed everything :( have no money to rebuild it.

i can donate money from another city but for something kind of reason the money never arrives.

You'd still lose all the resources already mined / gathered.. especially water.
Or you build a Sewage Treatment Plant right away.

Speaking of which... I have a city with a fully capped Sewage Treatment Plant and apparently that one isn't enough so I plopped another one. Now all the sewage runs to the newly built plant which rendered the old, fully upgraded one completely useless as it gets nothing!
And because the new one isn't at full capacity, it runs full quickly and spills... can a city really only have one active Sewage Treatment Plant!?
Buying sewage treatment from other cities in the region is way too slow for my city..
It feels glitched.

Omiee

I build 2 clinics and fully upgraded them but i still had people getting sick.

than i saw in the map that my processor factories are the biggest reason people are getting sick.

that and the wind going the wrong direction for me =(

what can i do without destroying these fully upgraded factories?

RoKKeR

Ah man, I feel like my city is on the brink! I'm about to break the 150k population mark and things are getting tricky. My biggest issue is definitely traffic, and my city is so established that I'm scared to upgrade to avenues.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

So lets say the first road of my city is a vertical road to a fixed stand point.
Every parallel road to that first road should be a high density road, while every intersecting (let's call it "horizontal") road should be a density lower?

That way, the high density (vertical) roads won't ever have stop lights in them, only people trying to get into the vertical high density roads (from the horizontal low density roads) would have to stop?

And I guess I should only plot (and create the grid accordingly) the high density road part, so I can get max building density while having medium density roads all over the place?

But then wouldn't the low density roads get overflown with traffic from the area plots trying to get to the main, high density road?

I build 2 clinics and fully upgraded them but i still had people getting sick.

than i saw in the map that my processor factories are the biggest reason people are getting sick.

that and the wind going the wrong direction for me =(

what can i do without destroying these fully upgraded factories?

plant trees.
and make sure your sewage isn't backed up.

munroe

Had a bit of a queue to get into the region I'm sharing with some friends, but once got in, everything worked fine. My city has started to really develop, it's a trade city, so I'm making a killing in exporting t.v's.

It had some hairy moments, zombies broke out from the clinic and reduced my population by half, a meteor struck, luckily in open space, however the resulting radiation caused some problems then shortly later a lizard emerged and destroyed one of my processor factories, luckily though, by that point, I had around 6mil so easy to replace.

Possibly a game bug, but people kept complaining about germs and it would seem no amount of clinics or hospitals seemed to reduce that, or my city is more polluted than I thought...

Why does the price of a road say 8 simoleons for example, but the road itself runs into the thousands?

For larger population cities really do think that need a wider exit/entrance to the city or the ability to place another one.

Would say a few improvements needed but overall I'm really happy with this game, time just flies by, I suddenly realise it's 3 hours later...

Wes

venison crêpe
So lets say the first road of my city is a vertical road to a fixed stand point.
Every parallel road to that first road should be a high density road, while every intersecting (let's call it "horizontal") road should be a density lower?

That way, the high density (vertical) roads won't ever have stop lights in them, only people trying to get into the vertical high density roads (from the horizontal low density roads) would have to stop?

And I guess I should only plot (and create the grid accordingly) the high density road part, so I can get max building density while having medium density roads all over the place?

But then wouldn't the low density roads get overflown with traffic from the area plots trying to get to the main, high density road?

Having not tried it in practice I can't say precisely but I think you're on the right lines.

By the way in my 200k city I never had 4 road intersections. T junctions are the future.

Pandemic

Having not tried it in practice I can't say precisely but I think you're on the right lines.

By the way in my 200k city I never had 4 road intersections. T junctions are the future.

Is that even possible..? o.o

With my 100k city, I have a 4 way intersection everywhere, and causes havoc with my traffic..

sangreal

That was my experience in the beta, at least. I vowed never to use the lower roads after that

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is that even possible..? o.o

With my 100k city, I have a 4 way intersection everywhere, and causes havoc with my traffic..

Id you don't do a perfectly squared grid, you can make everything be a T intersection.

make 4x8 grids instead of 4x4, but alternate them. It could work.

I'm also getting to the conclusion that 4x8 grids are the best course of action for service buildings that need upgrades. It's not perfect, but it's much better than 4x4 grids. (I'm using 4x4 as the minimal space that one large density residential or commercial building requires. High Density Factories require twice the space, because they expand to the side as opposed to up, so I call them 4x8).

Edit: By doing 4x8 blocks, you actually lose half the potential buildings on the back street. 8x8 plots would be better, but would also require better traffic (as one round that would before only service a set of buildings now services two.

Nibiru

Banned
Ohhh okay, got it.

Also, didn't EA/Maxis say modding will be available for this game? What happened to that?

If this happens the best you will get will be the ability to design regions. There will be no creating objects or anything that would take away the urge to make dlc purchases.

Skins are a big part of modding and considering that foreign skins for buildings are already available in the store for $10 a pop there is no way they will enable modders to provide such things for free.

My first guess is that we never see modding but if they do allow it, it will just be designing regions unless they plan to sell regions too lol.

RoKKeR

Quick question,

I've got a crap load of Residential, but keep getting told to "Zone Residential to get more workers"

Any suggestions?

That phrase has become a running joke between my brother and I. That asshole always wants more residential. But to shut him up you can get rid of Industry/Commercial (whichever demand is lower) and re-zone for residential.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That phrase has become a running joke between my brother and I. That asshole always wants more residential. But to shut him up you can get rid of Industry/Commercial (whichever demand is lower) and re-zone for residential.

Everything you plop down in a city service-wise (schools, parks, factories, sewage plant) require workers.

Workers come from Residential areas.

The bigger your city is, less industrial you need. The bigger your residential area is, more commercial area you need (the sims have to waste that money).

Commercial area is nice because it both provides jobs for the Sims and a place for them to waste their money. Only bad thing is that Factories provide more jobs.

So, technically, you'll need a small factory region, usually away from the main block of the city (because of pollution), a medium commercial region (which shouldn't be too far away from residential, because Sims will complain when there's no shops nearby) and a big residential area, to fuel all those city/commercial/industrial jobs.

That scenario is not that good if you want to focus on trade. Then you need more industrial, and that's when other cities come into play.

m3mphis

Neo Member
Am I the only one getting: Failed to authenticate with SimCity servers? You have not activated SimCity on your account... :|

I have a mixture of both in my 200k city. 4 way works fine for me though.

Pyrogeek

Pardon me if someone already posted this, though this video helped me understand how the roads and intersections work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8lhpINmXE

I noticed a big improvement in a new city where I connected the highway offramp to a longer avenue which was intersected largely by medium density and lower streets. All in all, I only had 3 intersections with street lights off of that avenue, one being a second avenue that cut across. This showed a remarkable improvement compared to my earlier cities that had high density intersections with street lights all over the place, forcing frequent bottlenecks and stopping tourists and delivery trucks from coming in.

Row

Banned
I really am annoyed by how small the coverage area of police/fire/hospitals is...it's beyond unrealistic. In my city I'm about (on foot) 30mins away from a hospital, 10 from a fire station, and about 20 from a police station. Sounds fine, but in simcity I'm at a serious risk of being murdered in my burning home while also dying of cancer

Spookie

Well this is fitting.

I really am annoyed by how small the coverage area of police/fire/hospitals is...it's beyond unrealistic. In my city I'm about (on foot) 30mins away from a hospital, 10 from a fire station, and about 20 from a police station. Sounds fine, but in simcity I'm at a serious risk of being murdered in my burning home while also dying of cancer

:| :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I'm pretty sure there's a Sim in your city that's that exact amount away from all the three services you listed.

I have a 180k city with one big police station, big hospital and big fire fighter and the entire city gets coverage. I've plopped them down on the middle of the city and only the very very adjacent area doesn't get coverage, but the moment a car of any of those services goes nearby, the coverage expands and covers those areas.

Posting again for all the people who just got back on after the servers comming back up.

Just started a new region on NA East 4. If you would like to join just look for the region Aqueous Adventure, or send me a friend request on Origin.

ID is Banderk

beanman25

Installed everything (Deluxe Edition), won't play until later. Just made an Origin account so Add me if you'd like to play!

beanman25 is my origin name!

Possibly a game bug, but people kept complaining about germs and it would seem no amount of clinics or hospitals seemed to reduce that, or my city is more polluted than I thought...

Check the radiation map. I'm guessing people are getting sick because of the meteor. Lame, but you better get used to it, because it isn't going away.

Top Bottom