• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This game makes me mad. I finally traded enough goods in one day to get a trade center, had to destroy half the roads in my city to do it and this was all so I could build a trade port to ship stuff by sea. I build the center and bam I need to trade even more in a day to actually store any goods in the port!?! Why would they make you work to unlock a building that does absolutely nothing until you unlock more stuff afterwards? I have no idea how I'm gonna trade that much in a day I have no rail and the entrance to my city is a parking lot (which is why I wanted the dock in the first damn place)

The starting trade port has a freight cargo bin, so it'll help your industrial zones grow. Other than that, yeah it's kinda worthless. You could try to unlock the specific goods storage via the HQ from that particular specialization.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The thing that I'm learning through you guys in the SimCity 4 thread is that, through modding, SimCity 4 can become a completely different game. The only thing I think it needs is an easier road tool for doing curved and bendy roads. And it seems as though the community for SimCity 4 is still going strong (as evidence with the recent release of an updated NAM).

Well we have curved roads in SC4 now, it's just that they are at fixed angles and radius. The beauty of the new Simcity's roads is that you can make any layout you want, it's completely freeform. SC4 will never be that flexible due to it's grid nature.

You can mod SC4!? *Gonna find the thread...***

Is that sarcasm? Or are you serious?

There are entire websites and communities dedicated to modding Simcity 4. For like ten years now. Gigabytes worth of mods. Heck, Simtropolis has a deal where you can buy several DVD's full of nothing but mods for Simcity 4. Of course you can just download them all for free too, but some people don't want to bother downloading 20+ GB worth of stuff, lol. I mean, the free regions alone that you can download would be several dozen gigabytes worth of data...

Sarcasm

Well we have curved roads in SC4 now, it's just that they are at fixed angles and radius. The beauty of the new Simcity's roads is that you can make any layout you want, it's completely freeform. SC4 will never be that flexible due to it's grid nature.

Is that sarcasm? Or are you serious?

There are entire websites and communities dedicated to modding Simcity 4. For like ten years now. Gigabytes worth of mods. Heck, Simtropolis has a deal where you can buy several DVD's full of nothing but mods for Simcity 4. Of course you can just download them all for free too, but some people don't want to bother downloading 20+ GB worth of stuff, lol. I mean, the free regions alone that you can download would be several dozen gigabytes worth of data...

I am not being sarcsatic..is the must have really 20gbs? Or what mods to get?

Mengy

I am not being sarcsatic..is the must have really 20gbs? Or what mods to get?

Here Sarcasm, check out the OT in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509394

Perkel has a good starter mod pack in the OT that can get your feet wet. At the bottom of his first post are two websites where you can get thousands of mods for free. Welcome to an entirely "new" ten year old Simcity 4.

You can mod SC4!? *Gonna find the thread...***

yes

you can do stuff like this in SC4 with mods

eNs29uK.jpg

dxAskuC.jpg

On the grand scale of things if anything could bother you about this game is it really this?

What bothers me is that they made the design decision to give all the sims names and make them seem like individual AI with their own likes, wants, jobs, etc. If they'd just been random sims/cars, no one would've cared.

They made the decision to name them, give their houses names, and even added the follow button so you could watch them go to the wrong house!

To me it's not as big of a problem as the service vehicles AI but they may be tied together anyway.

RkOwnage

Noob question, sorry, this is my first city, I want to build an electronics based city, and it's telling me I need 5 medium-tech industry buildings to build the processor plant. What builds specifically are they referring to?

cripterion

lololol fuck this game.
that stupid lizard monster just took out my:
-university with 3 focus studies.
-grade school
-high school
-hospital
-police station
-2 recycling center
-nuclear power plant which made a big part of my land radioactive.
and not to mention numerous buildings it has destroyed in its path.

eat shit maxis.
im out.

Same thing, random disasters are just pissing me off to no end; I had the monster, tornado, ufo (didn't care for that) and twice the zombie attack...

I'm done too. 80 euros down the drain. Didn't even get to use that DLC since you need a fortune in the game to have euro towns.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
I had about 90% residential, much of it high density and they still demanded workers. The game's fucked.

What type of workers do you have? How many of each wealth is employed? How many unfilled jobs for each commercial wealth class do you have?

RkOwnage said:
Noob question, sorry, this is my first city, I want to build an electronics based city, and it's telling me I need 5 medium-tech industry buildings to build the processor plant. What builds specifically are they referring to?
You need educated sims to have high tech industry buildings. I'm not sure if anything less than a University will get the industry to tech higher.

eznark

Banned
I haven't been able to play enough that I have seen a random disaster but is it not possible to just turn them off? Do you really have to have a fucking zombie invasion and lizard monsters in a simulation game?

I don't mind the occasional random disaster. I like to think it's a good test of your infrastructure but seeing as the AI that controls that is busted, that makes disasters suck.

You can play in sandbox mode if you don't want disasters, for now.

I tried, if you look at my post history, I really tried to like this game. I love SimCity and was really looking forward to playing this one. I was played.

Did they have testers at Maxis/EA? If it's all really about the servers and not about the game (the game itself has numerous problems, but they're not game-breaking), why didn't they stress test it? They had two closed beta stress tests?

Why did they strip whatever features alleviated the servers in the first few days if so many other servers were coming online? With these features gone (no ETA on when they come back), things are so broken.

Why don't they have a PR team to prevent lies from coming out of EA/Maxis? Offline not possible? Outside of local saving/loading, we're essentially playing that way right now. "Things will be better in a few days." Really? You're going to say that before the International release date and the first weekend after the game's launch?

I've said this earlier, but if you aren't ready, don't launch. Don't make us pay for a public beta test. This isn't a Kickstarter. SimCity may be playable by April. It may be by May. Whenever that finally is is when EA/Maxis should have released the game, cause it isn't right now.

Sorry VW3, I'm out, for good this time. SimCity and Origin are uninstalled and Amazon has given me a refund.

eznark

Banned
I just really don't understand some of the decisions. They fundamentally change the entire game by restricting the size of any one city into basically a district in the name of a stricter adherence to realism but then force you to deal with zombies and godzilla?

elty

Probably old, but perhaps the title can be changed to "It is not the size that matters, it is the GetFudgedPopulation".

Code:
simcity.GetFudgedPopulation = function (a) {
a = "undefined" !== typeof a ? a : simcity.gGlobalUIHandler.mLastPopulation;
if (500 >= a)
return a;
if (40845 < a)
return Math.floor(8.25 * a);
a = Math.pow(a - 500, 1.2) + 500;
return Math.floor(a)
};

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5133829#file-simcityui-js-L8510

JWong

Banned
I don't mind the occasional random disaster. I like to think it's a good test of your infrastructure but seeing as the AI that controls that is busted, that makes disasters suck.

I haven't had godzilla yet since I always handle my garbage, but most disasters don't even deal much damage to my cities even if they take out an important building.

Bumhead

Banned

Being a good test of infrastructure would be a pretty interesting concept for the game, I think. Plots should have certain disaster risks attached to them and you should have the option to plan and respond to those particular things as you go, maybe with wealth and infrastructure of your City dictating your limitations and disaster response/effeciency.

At the minute they're just random and pretty silly, by all accounts. Im 10 hours in without a disaster yet other than fires but I think I will rage if and when I see a fucking lizard attack.

I had a zombie attack that didn't do much damage yesterday. I think the lizard attack is actually the most damaging one right now, simply due to extra fire trucks being useless since they all report to one fire.

Mengy

Probably old, but perhaps the title can be changed to "It is not the size that matters, it is the GetFudgedPopulation".

Code:
if (500 >= a)
return a;
if (40845 < a)
return Math.floor(a)
};

Wow, so the actual function call in the game is called GetFudgedPopulation?

LOL! :D

It wouldn't be so bad if Maxis hadn't bragged on and on about how deep and realistic the simulation is, and how you can track ever single sim in the city on their daily routines. Seems like so much of that was pure hogwash, much like how they needed the servers to perform sim calculations in real time in game.

RoKKeR

I honestly don't give two shits about the whole sims going to the nearest job/house thing. Everybody is employed, everybody has a house, so I honestly couldn't care less.

My biggest complaint now is traffic management which, yes, can stem from the first available system.

Mengy

I honestly don't give two shits about the whole sims going to the nearest job/house thing. Everybody is employed, everybody has a house, so I honestly couldn't care less.

My biggest complaint now is traffic management which, yes, can stem from the first available system.

The two are completely inter-related. I hate to say it, but they need to make the traffic behave more like Simcity 4's traffic in order to fix it, I'm afraid. That's kind of ironic really.

munroe

Being a good test of infrastructure would be a pretty interesting concept for the game, I think. Plots should have certain disaster risks attached to them and you should have the option to plan and respond to those particular things as you go, maybe with wealth and infrastructure of your City dictating your limitations and disaster response/effeciency.

At the minute they're just random and pretty silly, by all accounts. Im 10 hours in without a disaster yet other than fires but I think I will rage if and when I see a fucking lizard attack.

From the looks of it, this is from my own experience and other posters, the lizzard seems to appear in a fairly central location then head straight to the garbage dump, where it starts eating trash then disappears.

So for my next city ill build the garbage dump fairly central and see what happens.

If you get zombies, they always appear at clinics and the police will help fight them

The two are completely inter-related. I hate to say it, but they need to make the traffic behave more like Simcity 4's traffic in order to fix it, I'm afraid. That's kind of ironic really.

I wouldn't even mind if traffic always tended to use avenues vs roads because in real life, more people take interstates/highways even if there is a quicker way through some back roads. Problem is, you can have a road that's backed up and slap an avenue close by but they will refuse to use it.

JWong

Banned

Yes, they are related. The fact that they go to the closest house means traffic should be less of a problem. If it was 100% true, I could easily take advantage of it, but it's not because they go to any house they want to... which is worse.

Yes, they are related. The fact that they go to the closest house means traffic should be less of a problem. If it was 100% true, I could easily take advantage of it, but it's not because they go to any house they want to... which is worse.

Maxis guy on twitter said they never inteded for them to go back to the same house. lol

So you name the house anyway, wtf? Why label the house with a name if you don't intend for that sim to reside there for more than one day?

There is some horrible logic in some of these design decisions.

Ballistik

and then you find out you don't even need to zone for commercial or industrial, which is what causes traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACdu1ho2Ic4&feature=youtu.be
(From Reddit)

Absinthe

Not defending it, but they did talk about this.

From the reddit comments:

&#8220;It&#8217;s not like each Sim has a specific job that&#8217;s his, and a specific house that&#8217;s his,&#8221; says lead designer Stone Librande, like this knowledge might mitigate the situation. Instead, each Sim that will inhabit your thriving metropolis (or crime-ridden housing project, as the case may be) will wake up each morning and start the day by looking for a new job &#8211; if they&#8217;re not sick, that is, in which case they&#8217;ll look for a hospital. And every evening, that same Sim will leave work and take a moment to look for a new place to live."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/28/first-look-simcity/

Code:
if (500 >= a)
return a;
if (40845 < a)
return Math.floor(a)
};

Must have gotten missed, but Acorn posted this a couple pages back:

"I have been trying to figure out why my percentage of pop that works/shops etc keeps dropping as my city grows and did some testing which seems to explain it.
Basically I made basic power, water and waste then built a block of houses and counted the workers, shoppers, tax, and utulity usage. I then added another block, then another etc and counted up each time.

First block : 186/124/62 total pop/workers/shopper (a 2/3 to 1/3 split of pop between workers and shoppers)
Second block : 372/248/124 - Exactly double, so far so good
Third block : 630/372/186 - Same increase in worker and shoppers but a bigger increase in total pop
Fourth block :1232/496/64 Again same increase in effective pop but displayed pop has virtually doubled
By sixth block displayed pop was over 2600 (14 times one block) but actual workers/shoppers was exactly 6 times higher.

I also checked tax income and utilities and these increase in equal steps for each block too, so the phantom pop in the display seems to have no effect on gameplay at all.
This explains why a 100k pop city seems to have only 10% workforce - its actually a 15k pop city with a huge amount of phantom pop added to the count.
So far I haven't been able to figure out if all this population creates traffic but for the key metrics of workers/shoppers/tax/utility usage the numbers displayed in the details tab seem to be correct and the total pop value irrelevent."

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9359265.page

Not defending it, but they did talk about this.

From the reddit comments:

&#8220;It&#8217;s not like each Sim has a specific job that&#8217;s his, and a specific house that&#8217;s his,&#8221; says lead designer Stone Librande, like this knowledge might mitigate the situation. Instead, each Sim that will inhabit your thriving metropolis (or crime-ridden housing project, as the case may be) will wake up each morning and start the day by looking for a new job &#8211; if they&#8217;re not sick, that is, in which case they&#8217;ll look for a hospital. And every evening, that same Sim will leave work and take a moment to look for a new place to live."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/28/first-look-simcity/

So why name a house "Smith Residence" or whatever the name of the first sim to live there was. Just leave it named low, mid, or high wealth house and move on. They opened themselves up to this criticism when they name the house after the sim.

I'd be willing to ignore this though, if they'd fix the problems with fire trucks, buses, garbage trucks, ambulances, and police.....basically any and all service vehicles.

Also the marketing leading up to release didn't help either. We were told you can follow your sim around and even grow attached to him/her if you wish. That's impossible if you can't find them with any kind of consistency.

KKRT00

Wow, so the actual function call in the game is called GetFudgedPopulation?

LOL! :D

It wouldn't be so bad if Maxis hadn't bragged on and on about how deep and realistic the simulation is, and how you can track ever single sim in the city on their daily routines. Seems like so much of that was pure hogwash, much like how they needed the servers to perform sim calculations in real time in game.

They said how everything works one year ago - http://www.andrewwillmott.com/talks/inside-glassbox/GlassBox GDC 2012 Slides.pdf

Blame games journalism that they cant read and communicate with people, because they were on GDC last year. Also i havent seen any info in Maxis showoff videos that Sims are permanent.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Code:
if (500 >= a)
return a;
if (40845 < a)
return Math.floor(a)
};

LOL

Mayyhem

If I bought the game off their website with my credit card, is there any way I can get a refund? This game is broken and should not have been launched yet.

What crap.

If I bought the game off their website with my credit card, is there any way I can get a refund? This game is broken and should not have been launched yet.

What crap.

It's looking pretty hit-and-miss from what I've read, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

The only reason I haven't done a chargeback is because I ordered from GMG and they've always been good to me. The power of good customer service...

Code:
if (500 >= a)
return a;
if (40845 < a)
return Math.floor(a)
};

Here is the graphed piecewise functions: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/zsfmsiiltr

Red line is the GetFudgePopulation; Green line is the real population; Blue line is for reference so you can see the exponential curve better.

Phreaker

This game isn't even putting a dent in my CPU (i5-3570k). This upsets me for some reason.

It's because all the calculations are being done on EA's supercomputers. That's why you must always be connected. ;)

In EU, maybe. Not in America though. You could do a chargeback form your CC, but I believe they threatened to lock your Origin account if you do.

Goldmund

Code:
if (500 >= a)
return a;
if (40845 < a)
return Math.floor(a)
};

Wait ... the game uses JavaScript? Is that common?

Not at all. Unless you're a masochist. JavaScript sucks donkey balls. This all goes to the argument that this game was intended for a Facebook release.

That explains a lot. Quadraphonic summarized the evidence for it in another thread.

That would explain a lot:

* Worse AI = different team. Not really Maxis best crew, since it's just Facebook. Just get it working
* Javascript-based UI, meant for a webbrowser engine
* Online requirement
* Resource sharing
* Lots of DLC and extras planned
* Scaling issues. Especially as they probably designed it to be played a little bit each day, not hours on end
* Why it doesn't feel like a $60 title

Edit: To be fair, the online requirement and deluge of planned DLC is just evidence that the game came out in 2013.

Top Bottom