• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Mayors have spent more than 33 centuries worth of time playing the game and enough road has been laid to circumnavigate the earth over 5000 times.

For some reason, this line really really annoys me. They've used it before in previous messages to the player, too.

Is it just me?

spirity

For some reason, this line really really annoys me. They've used it before in previous messages to the player, too.

Is it just me?

Nope, not just you. Announcements like that always seem to come with a PR frame, and because of the issues SimCity has, reading something that comes off like a sales pitch to me is a bit insulting.

Or were you specifically taking about that one line?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
dean-what-gif.gif

I'm sort of wondering how many patches isn't going to 'fix' this game. They seem to facing one issue per patch, which I think I can understand, but there's so many issues.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nope, not just you. Announcements like that always seem to come with a PR frame, and because of the issues SimCity has, reading something that comes off like a sales pitch to me is a bit insulting.

Or were you specifically taking about that one line?

Yeah I was, and it annoys me for the reasons you stated.

Ploid 3.0

I like this game a lot. I got the hang of it now and on my own private area. Two cities so far, my third will be the tourist attraction city. Well worth the less than $20 I paid for it (factoring in the 2 free recent release games), especially if they make it better down the road.

I'm sort of wondering how many patches isn't going to 'fix' this game. They seem to facing one issue per patch, which I think I can understand, but there's so many issues.

The big patch is the 2.0 update he is referring to. They are able to kick out small fixes as they can since it is a PC game.

jkanownik

There are Google ads running here claiming that Sim City is back and better than ever. Is Cheetah speed back on yet or are they just running the launch ads they pulled before?

RotBot

They rebalanced the prices so that TVs aren't overwhelmingly the most obvious choice to go with.

They're manually adjusting prices now? Just another sign that it'll be a long time before the look-at-all-the-cool-stuff-being-always-online-gives-you Global Market launches.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They're manually adjusting prices now? Just another sign that it'll be a long time before the look-at-all-the-cool-stuff-being-always-online-gives-you Global Market launches.

I feel like they didn't really think their cunning plan through with the whole global market thing. I mean...really...at the end of the day...what's the point of it all?

They should have got the core RCI balancing, service providing, and budget management metagame down solid first, then work on specializations later.

Is there anything special you have to do to get a high freight rail station at the trade port? I can't seem to plop it down even with a train line running to it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there anything special you have to do to get a high freight rail station at the trade port? I can't seem to plop it down even with a train line running to it.

It shouldn't be that hard to plop. All you need is enough space for it to fit, and it doesn't even have to be that close to your trade port.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You know, one of the most disheartening aspects of this whole snafu is that I can't really hold that challenge competition that I wanted to do, because not many want to (or are even able to) play this game.

*sad face*

I enjoy the game and the underlying mechanics but I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of some staple features of terraforming, subways, and larger land plots. I hit my land plot limit really quickly and feel like I'm making too many tradeoffs just to keep basic services running as the pop. grows. Still, there's that itch Simcity scratches that I haven't been able to get from games like anno and tropico.

Violet_0

Banned
say, how is the multiplayer part of the game? Are there many ways to meaningfully interact with other cities or do you mostly just play side-by-side?

elektrixx

Banned
I got some sort of update a bit over an hour ago. It's certainly not the important patch.

I have a glitched city that somehow receives a 350k gift every month so I'm leaving it on whenever I can. I'll use it to fund everything once the real patch hits.

I got some sort of update a bit over an hour ago. It's certainly not the important patch.

I have a glitched city that somehow receives a 350k gift every month so I'm leaving it on whenever I can. I'll use it to fund everything once the real patch hits.

Maybe not the big update but this is the second longest to install since release.

Btw, I encounter the most boring bug since the first day: Godzillalike monster stucked under my highway. :\

Finalow

mh not sure what's wrong with origin/this game(sc5).
I launch the game and it should install origin first (right?) so yeah, I go for "INSTALL" and nothing happens.

FordGTGuy

Banned
mh not sure what's wrong with origin/this game(sc5).
I launch the game and it should install origin first (right?) so yeah, I go for "INSTALL" and nothing happens.

Are you installing from a disc?

Just download Origin from the website and install it and try again.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Did they adjust the frequency of disasters or something? I'm having 2-3 disasters per in-game month now compared to 1-2 a year previously..

Finalow

Are you installing from a disc?

Just download Origin from the website and install it and try again.
oh, now it works. thanks.

going to play it soon, if someone wants to add me I'm still Finalow.
edit- nvm, can't even start it, this Origin is garbage. I launch it and then it doesn't start, there is a SimCity.exe running in task manager but the game ain't on.

royalan

On sale at Amazon right now and was thinking of jumping in, but I've got a few concerns.

I was never bothered by all the server drama. Sure, I wasn't going to get the game until that was addressed, but I figured it would be something they'd get to eventually, and it seems like they have.

But the Glassbox engine issues trouble me. Having the sims function like units that just go to the nearest "job" and use the shortest road despite how you plan out the city seemed like a real game-breaking issue that would ultimately affect how your design your city. I didn't want to jump in on a game that has such visible limitations. I don't want to feel like designing my city the way I want to will be punished by the fact that the Sims are just going to go to whatever's closest to them.

Those who've gotten far in the game, is it still fun despite these issues?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Those who've gotten far in the game, is it still fun despite these issues?

I think so. But I have a high tolerance for bullshit in games that I have a natural affinity for.

The pretty steep falloff in posts this thread has experienced over the past 2 weeks should give you a more general idea of what everyone else thinks.

r1chard

The stupid thing of course is that this is supposed to be a game enhanced by playing with friends but none of mine own it yet because of the many issues they know it has, so I'm just playing it solo.

Except for those times when I can't play it because servers.

Ugh.

It has so much potential. But it's just so frustrating to see your city burning down because your six fire trucks are all jammed up in front of one house and you know there's nothing you can do about it.

Top Bottom