• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Jezbollah

Basically this game needed another year of development time.

Pretty much.

Another thing - in the original quick looks published by EA for Sim City, they showed an area of city with high crime with what looks a very large amount of graffiti on the buildings. I haven't seen this - was it another feature that they didn't deliver?

Kabouter

Pretty much.

Another thing - in the original quick looks published by EA for Sim City, they showed an area of city with high crime with what looks a very large amount of graffiti on the buildings. I haven't seen this - was it another feature that they didn't deliver?

That does happen, really cool imo. The presence of high tech industry gives buildings solar panel. Maybe you just manage your crime too well to have noticed the first one :p.

Right, so 12 years of further development and there's still fundamental issues with the game. Wow.

Eh, there's similarities, but in the end that focused far more on the lives of individual sims, you would only have a handful in that world. The game had some ideas that were incorporated into other products when it was canned, but that's about it. I would say The Sims 3 comes closest to the original vision of that game, even if it's still not quite the same.

royalan

Ugh...

My sims keep complaining about it being too germy, but I don't know what to do.

I have a hospital with adequate ambulance coverage. I have recycling and tons are garbage trucks.

What's triggering the germy?

Also....I have businesses closing down left and right because there are no skilled workers...but I have a high school, community college, and university. I don't get it...;___;

Jezbollah

Ugh...

I have a hospital with adequate ambulance coverage. I have recycling and tons are garbage trucks.

Also....I have businesses closing down left and right because there are no skilled workers...but I have a high school, community college, and university. I don't get it...;___;

Lots of air or ground pollution will make your sims ill.

Maybe your land values are all too high - if everyone's rich then there aren't gonna be many people to do the work.

r1chard

Eh, there's similarities, but in the end that focused far more on the lives of individual sims, you would only have a handful in that world. The game had some ideas that were incorporated into other products when it was canned, but that's about it. I would say The Sims 3 comes closest to the original vision of that game, even if it's still not quite the same.
I don't agree - I think I can see some direct lines that could be drawn from that game to what we're failing to play today, even if it was rewritten several times and the focus shifted just a little. The core of Sim City 5 - actually simulating each person, vehicle, building, etc in a "city" rather than abstracting them - is the same thing that's present in that video.

elektrixx

Banned
So previously I had a city that gifts 350k a month out of nowhere. Now my other city gifts 5 million every month.

I just drop the tax to 0%, upgrade everything and leave it running constantly. I wake up or come home from work and demolish the rubble from disasters. Other than that, it runs itself!

I already had 50 million stockpiled from the original broken city, now with a couple of days of it running I have nearly 300 million in this city.

Just like when I stockpiled mountains of diamonds in Minecraft 360, I'm exploiting this as much as possible before it's patched.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ugh...

You probably have too much air pollution from your industry. There's not much you can do about it, other than replacing your industry with something non-polluting like more commercial zones, but that will cut into your tax revenue.

You can use wellness centers to cut down the germs, but due to the crap AI pathing, they aren't that effective.

If you have adequate education coverage, yet still experience unskilled workers, that probably means you have an overall worker shortage in general. Increase your population to fill that gap.
Have they added Cheetah speed back in yet?

Only on the test server.

royalan

Maybe your land values are all too high - if everyone's rich then there aren't gonna be many people to do the work.

You probably have too much air pollution from your industry. There's not much you can do about it, other than replacing your industry with something non-polluting like more commercial zones, but that will cut into your tax revenue.

You can use wellness centers to cut down the germs, but due to the crap AI pathing, they aren't that effective.

If you have adequate education coverage, yet still experience unskilled workers, that probably means you have an overall worker shortage in general. Increase your population to fill that gap.

Only on the test server.

Here some things I haven't tried. I'll report back. :)

Speaking of...any GAF zones that aren't dead?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Here some things I haven't tried. I'll report back. :)

Speaking of...any GAF zones that aren't dead?

I think they're all dead.

I was thinking about starting one on Reflection Atoll - the map where all seven cities are connected by road. But...no one seems to be playing this anymore so I figured I'd wait till after the big patch.

I also wanted to do a challenge thing with prizes, but it seems interest in this game has dropped off so much that it might not be worth it anymore. Oh wells.

Nibiru

Banned
It's just nuts, my wife is the biggest Simcity fangirl and played the last one so much yet she has already stopped playing this one. Her main issues are the same as most. Cities too small, way too easy, citizen response makes no sense for the most part. I don't even have much hope for it either because the issues are so at it's core that if they weren't spotted and fixed over the very long dev cycle then there is no way it can be fixed any time soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I did that but it still doesn't work.
can't play this game at all, just amazing.

Happen to have any GPU overclocking/fan speed adjusting programs running? Like MSI Afterburner or similar. Origin can be finicky running certain games if such things are enabled.

OchreHand

Hmm I have a University and a grammar school and residents are threatening to move out unless they get schools. Does that mean they want a high school too?

Also it's now a month since SimCity was released..

Kabouter

I don't agree - I think I can see some direct lines that could be drawn from that game to what we're failing to play today, even if it was rewritten several times and the focus shifted just a little. The core of Sim City 5 - actually simulating each person, vehicle, building, etc in a "city" rather than abstracting them - is the same thing that's present in that video.

I think you're confusing method and intent here. While both games seek to simulate individual Sims, they do it for completely different reasons. The intent of Simsville is to have the player manage the lives of a tiny community, where you really follow specific families around. As is shown in the demo, you can even see if people in the game have any friends and help them out if they don't have any.

SimCity on the other hand uses the simulation of individual sims as more of a tool towards creating a more natural city, a fairly organic step forward from SimCity 4. Sure, the simulation as it stands right now is broken (and probably won't ever work as well as it should), but what it's meant to do is improve the realism of the city you build. The game is far more hands off than SimsVille, the individual sim is not a focus at all, the focus is on maintaining the general well-being of your city by managing its infrastructure and services.

So yes, both simulate individual sims (though in very different ways), but they are completely different in focus.

Hmm I have a University and a grammar school and residents are threatening to move out unless they get schools. Does that mean they want a high school too?

When you say grammar school, do you mean elementary school? Either way, yes, high schools are important and directly linked to recycling IIRC.

An interesting experiment with roads: I had a city built around high density roads that reached around 175,000. At this point, I decided to bulldoze and redesign around a more efficent grid-based system that hardly wasted any space, using medium density avenues and $$$ parks. My population is stalled around 60,000 despite a bunch of skyscrapers.

Anybody know what happened here? I though that avenues allowed a higher population than roads. Should I bulldoze and go back to roads?

When you say grammar school, do you mean elementary school? Either way, yes, high schools are important and directly linked to recycling IIRC.

An interesting experiment with roads: I had a city built around high density roads that reached around 175,000. At this point, I decided to bulldoze and redesign around a more efficent grid-based system that hardly wasted any space, using medium density avenues and $$$ parks. My population is stalled around 60,000 despite a bunch of skyscrapers.

Anybody know what happened here? I though that avenues allowed a higher population than roads. Should I bulldoze and go back to roads?

Errr, of course your pop will go down with medium density, whether thats roads or avenues

High > medium

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Aahhaaaaaaaa Nissan charging station!

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9416786.page

nissan_leaf_0.gif

Kill me now

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Finally, I've been waiting for this for ages. This was the one thing the game was lacking. Product placement.

I actually like the mods for SimCity 4 that allow you to have McDonalds, Burger Kings and other stores in your city.

But yeah, this feels gross. Especially right now.

Lol, poor CM having to post that charging station. "OK, let's get this done and lock the thread".

Haha, seriously.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tried out the charging station....seems kinda useless since it can only hold 5 sims at a time, and no pedestrians. I like the library better.

Wait. What are it guys talking about? I've had cheetah speed in my game since I got it. It's not disabled for me...

About a week after release, they changed the game so that the 3 arrow speed does the exact same thing as the 2 arrow speed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What does it even do?

It's supposed to act as a happiness provider, similar to a commercial building. It also adds happiness to commercial zones when you plop it, similar to a park.

Libraries can accommodate more people, of all wealth classes, and provide education too. Vu Tower is a good shopping provider, too.

Nissan station seems....not that good. But perhaps I'm not noticing something.

Top Bottom