• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I love the game despite it flaws. I just played for like 4 hous last night even though I said I would wait for the patch lol. The problems with the game are some real ass problems, though.

The game looks fun at first, but after a while it becomes frustrating, really frustrating. You spend a lot of hours creating your city and then you realize bugs appear, lost your city and anger overcomes you :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The game looks fun at first, but after a while it becomes frustrating, really frustrating. You spend a lot of hours creating your city and then you realize bugs appear, lost your city and anger overcomes you :(

Yea the problems don't show up until later. I have 80 hours played and multiple cites are kinda fucked. Also, small city sizes suck :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, Is the antarctica GAF region abandoned?

Everybody (except the people at the other side of the land) have 1 week - 3 week "last played" time.

My city is pretty much maxed, so I didn't do much the past weeks. All I can do now is destroy everything and improve things, but if everybody is gone...

JackDT

As much as I've enjoyed the game, I'm happy to see things like this being discovered and posted on the net. It'll keep the developers motivated to fix embarassing things like this.

All of those cities exploit the same problem where 0% taxes make people so happy is out balances all the other complaints. Seems like a fairly straightforward tweak.

It is also interesting why there is no crime -- apparently the first level of criminal is a 'shoplifter'. So if you never build commercial, the criminals wander around but can't find a store to rob, so you don't have any crime. And they can't graduate to worse criminals like arsonists and murderers because they have to commit a crime to do that. It's kinda hilarious.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, Is the antarctica GAF region abandoned?

Everybody (except the people at the other side of the land) have 1 week - 3 week "last played" time.

My city is pretty much maxed, so I didn't do much the past weeks. All I can do now is destroy everything and improve things, but if everybody is gone...

I was just running my city to get rid of the radiation. I have 180 million dollars, and I can't give it to anyone not in my cluster :(

elektrixx

Banned
I have an issue where no buildings will ever get built. I don't blame anyone for thinking it's traffic, but I have demolished my entire city for the second time and now nothing will return.

Now this city also has a glitch where it receives a 350k gift every month. It's nice to leave it running overnight but it's a shame I can't do anything with it.

If my garbage and recycling trucks are glitched and the buildings were fully upgraded, is there any workaround? The fault returns when rebuilding, adding another, turning buildings off/on and other combos.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have an issue where no buildings will ever get built. I don't blame anyone for thinking it's traffic, but I have demolished my entire city for the second time and now nothing will return.

Now this city also has a glitch where it receives a 350k gift every month. It's nice to leave it running overnight but it's a shame I can't do anything with it.

If my garbage and recycling trucks are glitched and the buildings were fully upgraded, is there any workaround? The fault returns when rebuilding, adding another, turning buildings off/on and other combos.

That's because when you bulldoze a road with service vehicles on it, they disappear forever. You have a finite amount of construction vehicles in a city, so when you demolished your entire city, you probably killed all your cement trucks.

There is a convoluted workaround for getting your fire trucks and police vehicles etc back, but not any for construction vehicles, as far as I know. You should probably just gift a large sum of money to a new plot of land, and then start over there.

elektrixx

Banned
I think I'll just stockpile money until this is all patched. The city I mentioned before won't do anything while my other city is full of death from a lack of garbage collection.

On top of all that, when I try to claim another city in the same region it just jumps to the spectator screen after pressing Claim.

Acorn

lol What a broken piece of crap this game is right now.

Its a shame because there is good game in there trying to get out, it's just behind several layers of crap.

Nokterian

Guess i didn't miss mutch i see? Still a broken mess? In the mean i am playing other games then this not going to touch it in a long time. A shame though that my parents gave me this for my birthday and that i was dissapointed by everything this game is.

Pringler

Todays stats:

1 city completely wiped out after servers not available

1 city 50% wiped after servers couldn't sync.

RIDICULOUS!

EDIT:
Well 3rd city wiped after rollback.

Glad I stopped playing weeks ago. This game is so incredibly fucked it defies the imagination.

Maybe some day if it gets fixed I'll go back but I question whether Maxis is even competent enough for that.

Lipebento

Neo Member
I got rollback issues with my city as well. I was trying to look beyond the engine limitations, but at this point the game is just a waste of time. I wanted to play it more though, the new ideas would be nice if they worked..

Why are the leaderboards and global trade prices still not online?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No, there's not.

I think there is.

Scrapping the always online would instantly solve a lot of their problems at the moment, leaving the rest of the issues as gameplay issues. With a little more refinement, the core game could be spectacular. There's just a lot of unoptimal structuring, and bad design decisions that hold the game back. Oh, and the bugs.

Right now, for me, the initial building of a city is fun. It's when you get into the later stages of your cities growth that the bad design decisions (traffic routing, service vehicles, etc) rear their ugly heads along with the things like the recycling bug.

r1chard

I frequently get this thing where if I walk away from the game for long enough it boots me to the title screen. When I attempt to play the same city again it just says it can't contact the servers. Quitting the game and starting up again allows me to. This is fucking quality software, people.

Also, in my personal, private region I just threw away $110k trying to transfer it to one of my other cities. It just vanished. FFS.

Also, have the developers never actually experienced an emergency vehicle in the wild? Never taken a driving test where you're told if you see the flashing lights, you pull over to let the important vehicle past.

Can only imagine the overflowing bugs board for the dev team.

Jezbollah

Why cant we design set bus routes in this game?

My god it's infuriating to see them performing u-turns and going around in circles!

1cmanny1

This game still needs a lot of work. Even though they fixed the servers, the game is still fill of bugs.

The thing I hate the most is the small maps though.

r1chard

Oh gods, the stupid fire trucks. Entire city on fire so they all line up behind the one truck actually trying to put out a fire. Adding extra lanes does't help. Adding a second fire station doesn't help - the new trucks come along and line up too!!!

Played the game on launch for 20 hours, returned to it yesterday. Still no fixes for pretty much anything except the server trouble?

I'm thinking we will never get cheetah speed back, and that will doom the whole thing because it's boooooring when you have to wait ages to get any money.

Aaron

I think there is.

Scrapping the always online would instantly solve a lot of their problems at the moment, leaving the rest of the issues as gameplay issues. With a little more refinement, the core game could be spectacular. There's just a lot of unoptimal structuring, and bad design decisions that hold the game back. Oh, and the bugs.
The cities are tiny, and the simulation is completely bullshit. Looking pretty is the only thing going for it.

Speaking of visuals, is it just me or is the engine really bad at handling differences in elevation. I built a city in a mountainous region and half the roads are clipping and houses are being built in weird pits.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The cities are tiny, and the simulation is completely bullshit. Looking pretty is the only thing going for it.

Pretty much exactly right. I noticed this during the hour long beta plays, it's why I never bought it. Of course I never noticed just how broken the game was from the betas, that hour long timeframe seems to have been carefully selected just to prevent the real issues from cropping up, which was a very shrewd decision on EA's part. Can you imagine what the pre-launch backlash would have been if the beta plays had not had a time limit? Wow....

However, for all the problems the game has, it still does look good. Looking pretty may be the only real thing the game does well, but it does that very]/b] well.

Just, such a shame about the rest of it. Hopefully they get it fixed up this year yet...

jonnyp

Why cant we design set bus routes in this game?

My god it's infuriating to see them performing u-turns and going around in circles!

Because in today's world everything is "streamlined" and dumbed down because somehow developers have developed this notion that we gamers are getting more and more stupid, lazy and/or having diminished attention spans.

They did it to X-Com and Civ 5 too. Both enjoyable games for sure but nowhere near as deep, fun or compelling as their earlier incarnations IMHO.

I can understand they want to make games more accessible to be able to reach a bigger market for their games because of spiralling development costs etc but don't remove the options which make the games more fun for more advanced gamers.

This is my experience so far. It was actually very fun at first - even the tiny amounts of space available while annoying didn't seem that bad but then.... Create city. Something goes horribly wrong. City goes to crap. Create city. Something goes horribly wrong. Processing error? Roll back? Can't get in again. Create city. Server goes down in the middle of game. No progress saved.

Top Bottom