• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

I sent Friend Requests to everyone (whose Origin ID was listed) in Discovery Delta I. Excited to be playing with you all soon :)

(Origin ID: cannibalchef)

Pandemic

What do you mean by facilitate the residents? Students can travel cross-cities, so it's not like they'll be unhappy

Hmmm, referring to if 4 universities will fit students from 16 cities, with who knows how many residents per city.

Nonetheless, Thursday can't come soon enough.

Tmac

You didn't put your origin name. Only 2 slots left. Looks like I'll be opening another region today.

Apllied for the new region, this time i put my origin id.

Hope it's all correct since it's my first time with origin (had to register just to pre-order my game).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hmmm, referring to if 4 universities will fit students from 16 cities, with who knows how many residents per city.

Nonetheless, Thursday can't come soon enough.

It should, and if not, that's what dormitories are for! Plus, you can always build the cheaper education buildings yourself, too, to cover basic needs

B-Dex

If you chat with customer service, they will give you the discount again; just vent your frustration. I suggest using the chat window option.

I don't get why they are cancelling orders over a pre-load issue. Smells like BS to me. I'm guessing they just don't want to offer the discount.

pahamrick

Question for anyone who has pre-ordered the LE on Origin, then ended up getting the Digital Deluxe upgrade -- Does your game still list as LE in your games list, or did it change over to Digital Deluxe with the different box art?

If you chat with customer service, they will give you the discount again; just vent your frustration. I suggest using the chat window option.

I don't get why they are cancelling orders over a pre-load issue. Smells like BS to me. I'm guessing they just don't want to offer the discount.

Yeah, I will probably contact them in a bit because I do want the discount but the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Why are they cancelling orders without any notification? If I didn't pay attention to this thread it's possible I would have never noticed until Tuesday. And if we can get the discount back... why are they cancelling in the first place?

Nlroh

Thanks. List so far:

Titan Gorge 1 - Need a region name!
http://sdrv.ms/Ygpjwl

Gaf name | Origin name
darklord - Metal_Mills
Jintor
NJBorn
Chili - ChiliUK
Nlroh - orlandouh
pepboy - Pepboy013
19 & 21 - CynageN
largan - Ryodis
Xane
Burgess_101 - Burgess_101
Nero3000 - Oren3000
ekim - NothingLittle
Ballistik - EC_Ballistik
Ikuu - Ikuu
swoon37 - swoon38
TheQueen'sOwn - BrokenSaintCDN Region Creator

Added my origin id.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Yeah, I will probably contact them in a bit because I do want the discount but the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Why are they cancelling orders without any notification? If I didn't pay attention to this thread it's possible I would have never noticed until Tuesday. And if we can get the discount back... why are they cancelling in the first place?

From a reddit reply:

I preordered without "cagrocks" and my order has been removed as well. I got the following email earlier today from amazon:

Hello,

We're contacting you about your order for "Origin SimCity." We recently learned that, due to a technical issue, Origin SimCity will no longer pre-load on 3/1/2013. Instead, the game will launch with no pre-load on 3/5/2013. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We won't charge you for this order until 3/5, when the product is ready to download and play.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Amazon.com

Never got this email too.

Jedi2016

I got the email saying "no pre-load", which I figured after nothing happened yesterday, but nothing about outright cancelling my order. Although it no longer appears on my "My Video Games" page, either. And when I attempt to look for recent orders, it no longer appears.

dubya-tee-eff

ekim

Why aren't they even doing a preload for people that preordered on origin? Do they have no unlock mechanism Implemented?

Jintor

Thanks. List so far:

http://sdrv.ms/Ygpjwl

Gaf name | Origin name
darklord - Metal_Mills
Jintor - Jintor
NJBorn
Chili - ChiliUK
Nlroh
pepboy - Pepboy013
19 & 21 - CynageN
largan - Ryodis
Xane
Burgess_101 - Burgess_101
Nero3000 - Oren3000
ekim - NothingLittle
Ballistik - EC_Ballistik
Ikuu - Ikuu
swoon37 - swoon38
TheQueen'sOwn - BrokenSaintCDN Region Creator

added origin id

Mii

Banned
So has it been confirmed yet that the current city zones have a significant amount of space between them in the region because they intend to allow every area in the future to scale from 2km x 2km to 4km x 4km? Or to give the option to certain users at a later date?

I didn't really understand why there was so much space between cities on the maps until Ocean Quigley went on record saying they intended to increase the size of cities over time.

So has it been confirmed yet that the current maps and city squares have a significant amount of space between them because they intend to allow every area in the future to scale from 2km x 2km to 4km x 4km? Or to give the option to certain users at a later date?

I didn't really understand why there was so much space between cities on the maps until Ocean Quigley went on record saying they intended to increase the size of cities over time.

Only reason I can see for it but I don't think it's been confirmed

Shane86

Do we all need to re-order the game on amazon? what the hell is going on? Email doesn't mention removing the game from your purchased list.

Smiley90

So has it been confirmed yet that the current city zones have a significant amount of space between them in the region because they intend to allow every area in the future to scale from 2km x 2km to 4km x 4km? Or to give the option to certain users at a later date?

Uh, no, I think you misunderstood. Current city sizes will NOT increase, if anything new regions with bigger cities will be added as DLC.

There is space between the cities because 2x2 is the maximum that glassbox can comfortably handle. Space between the cities allows for nice depth of field so it doesn't need to simulate them as well. If they were closer, the game would either need to simulate them (which it can't) or you'd have a dead city right next to your living city, which would brutally break the immersion.

So no, current cities will NOT be increased. There's good reasons for why they're apart.

Jedi2016

Do we all need to re-order the game on amazon? what the hell is going on? Email doesn't mention removing the game from your purchased list.
I sure as hell hope not, I had a discount on that order.

I'm not going to re-order somewhere else until I'm 100% sure that my order has been completely cancelled. As of now, their email seems to imply that it will reappear on the 5th, and I don't want to end up with two copies.

Fumoffu

Neo Member

Based on the reddit thread, people have talked to customer reps online, explained the situation and gotten $15 off the order by purchasing it again. Poor action on Amazon's part

is this the max size of a city?

r1Qma7nh.jpg

if it is, wow how disappointing.

Pepboy

Thanks. List so far:

I humbly submit Tartarus (or Tartaros), the place where the Titans were thrown/kept after the Olympians defeated them. It fits with the "Titan Gorge" theme, but it also plays on the idea of MetalMurphy as Zeus, keeping himself and friends in the lofty "green" section (Gaia), plunging us below the watery Discovery Delta (Pontus), into the pit of Titan's Gorge.

Because he fears us

Stasis

Origin ID: AGKBrooklyn

Just a heads up that I may not be able to accept requests and invite until the evening of the 5th. I'll try to get on for the midnight release, but I don't know if my schedule will permit.

I should be good for some late night running on the 5th and 6th. Schedule clears up a lot after the 7th. Can't wait!

Smiley90

CJ, you should put something like the following in the OP:

"This is SimCity, where planning out an efficient, unique design for your city is an important part of gameplay, not an option! No longer can you mindlessly build a "jack of all trades" city without restrictions - Traffic, Resource sharing, Commuting, all this now needs to be taken into consideration. Your space will be limited, so take the challenge and create your unique cities! Let different cities in your region share responsibilities AND bonuses."

or so. Because I can see A LOT of people will complain very fast into the game, especially those that haven;t played the beta and/or have played previous SimCity titles, once they realize that space is limited. If you go into this game like into previous SimCity games, you will eventually run out of space, and then out of utilities and money. Now people can either be "this is BS there's not enough space" and leave (and that will no doubt happen), or be "mhmm I guess this game is a bit different, I will have to create multiple cities and departmentalize responsibilites... I'll drill in that city, go green in that city, make this city a trade hub..." and appreciate the work Glassbox can do. This is not just another SimCity, it's a different game, where old concepts won't work as well anymore.

Just a fair warning to everyone. You can try and make a "jack of all trades" city like in previous games, but if you realize that you run out of space, please consider that this isn't SimCity before trying to play it with the region in mind.

That said, bigger cities are probably coming, with higher hardware demands most likely.

GlassBox

Banned
I'm wondering how successful this game will end up being. Maxis could certainly use some success after the whole Spore debacle (boy did that IP drop like a rock).

Tmac

That's seems logical to me. You don't have a giant city out of nowhere... usually you start with various small blobs that overtime becomes a large city / region. They even have a name for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conurbation

It whouldnt be a surprise if after xxxx population in a given region your avaible land increase until you unlock the full map.

ekim

That's seems logical to me. You don't have a giant city out of nowhere... usually you start with various small blobs that overtime becomes a large city / region. They even have a name for that.

It whouldnt be a surprise if after xxxx population in a given region your avaible land increase until you unlock the full map.

I would like that as a hidden feature but no. That won't happen.

Jintor

I didn't. "We have to forward this to our Marketing and Promotion department" to check on the code and see if it can be reapplied.

Any other sites have deals on this? I'm not really keen on paying $60 for this.

I just pushed harder, said other dudes on reddit got the credit and I wasn't going to sit around 1-2 business days and wait for it maybe to work

Jedi2016

I would like that as a hidden feature but no. That won't happen.
I'm going to say that's probably not so much a limitation of the engine directly as it's a result of making the game as scalable as it is. With the level of simulation they've got going, and as many things going on at once, it would require a pretty beefy rig to handle a full-sized city over a 16-city-sized region. Grandma's netbook wouldn't be able to handle it.

City scale should be a settings option, like the graphics. Lower it until your system can run it.

Smiley90

nononono. I said it above, but no, everyone get that out of their heads right now :p Current city sizes will not increase, if anything future cities will be added to new regions that are larger. Here is it straight from the devs:

The original design had cities right up against each other. You can even see this in the original concept trailer which focuses on two boxes right across a river from each other building a great works power plant together. There were three major problems that led to cutting that feature:

Polygon count and rendering performance in general. The building shader is putting your GPU through a lot of work, and putting 5x as many polygons through (your city + 4 neighboring cities, and this is really a conservative estimate) just was too expensive. We could have made sacrifices to level-of-detail, etc., and possibly gotten it to work, but it would definitely have led to lower quality buildings in all cities including the box you are playing in. That said, if it wasn't for (2), we might have gone for it.

The local simulation stops at the edge of your box. Everything outside your box is part of the region, simulated on the server (for this discussion, the region highway you see coming in is actually part of your box, but in general nothing else is). It looked odd to have cars vanishing into the neighboring city, and you expected when your tourists commuted to the neighboring city that you could see where they went, but your city doesn't really know about the neighboring city.

This is also part of (2). The 'asynchronous multiplayer' part of region play doesn't make sense when the boxes are right next to each other. You'd expect that if my industrial district is right up against yours, and mine gets lit on fire, that the fire would flow across the box boundary. But that doesn't even work if the other player is offline--their city is not progressing while they aren't playing.

Overall I think the look of boxes next to each other was really cool, and I agree that it's not perfect to have the empty spaces between dense urban areas. But it was the right trade-off for the game. The region view does a good job tricking your eye into thinking the other cities are real, but that's due to MaxisJawad's impressive work on city impostors--they are only sort-of-kind-of real.

from: http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/17cjbl/impressions_from_a_long_time_sim_city_fan/c84b7l1

Additionally:

I see, thank you for the explanation. Is it true that memory limitations are restricting city size? Or are there additional constraints? Any thoughts on allowing larger sizes in the future?
Among other things, yes. We're targeting 32-bit operating systems which means we have 2-3GB of addressable RAM at the top end. Beyond the memory constraints, the terrain/physics system was designed for the size we have, and would probably need some pretty serious sections rewritten and debugged. Pathfinding and agent interaction algorithms are worse than O(n) (linear, which would still mean 4x slower for a 4km x 4km box; to compare, an O( n2 ) algorithm would be 16x slower(!) for the same increase in box size). And all of the above are just technical reasons--not being on the design team, I'm not going to speculate on the design implications of tuning the game for multiple sizes of boxes, but I'm sure they aren't small :)

I wouldn't take anything off the table for the future--the feedback in this area has been loud and clear throughout the studio--but as a tech guy I think it's a huge task to make it work. That said, you can be assured we have Top Men thinking about the problem.

Top Bottom