• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Nero3000

I humbly submit Tartarus (or Tartaros), the place where the Titans were thrown/kept after the Olympians defeated them. It fits with the "Titan Gorge" theme, but it also plays on the idea of MetalMurphy as Zeus, keeping himself and friends in the lofty "green" section (Gaia), plunging us below the watery Discovery Delta (Pontus), into the pit of Titan's Gorge.

Because he fears us

I have no problem with that.

Updated list:

Titan Gorge 1 - Need a region name!
http://sdrv.ms/Ygpjwl

Gaf name | Origin name
darklord - Metal_Mills
Jintor -Jintor
NJBorn
Chili - ChiliUK
Nlroh - orlandouh
pepboy - Pepboy013
19 & 21 - CynageN
largan - Ryodis
Xane
Burgess_101 - Burgess_101
Nero3000 - Oren3000
ekim - NothingLittle
Ballistik - EC_Ballistik
Ikuu - Ikuu
swoon37 - swoon37
TheQueen'sOwn - BrokenSaintCDN Region Creator

53i44UB.jpg

Just got off the phone with Amazon. They credited me $15 and had me reorder the game. Only took a few minutes. The reason he gave was that EA had made a change to their TOS in such a way that the product I bought was not what I had agreed to buy, and thus they cancelled it.

Probably bs, but I got it preordered again at the same "CAGROCKS" price.

10dollas

Banned
origins, online mandated singleplayer, no terraforming capabilities, EA nickle and dime DLC, and limited scope to city size... All that combined is a deal breaker for me.

I'm excited for this game. I'm trying to figure out a drinking game i can make from it.

I have a friend who's an architect, and one that works in game design, one who's an engineer and myself, an artist. I want to see what happens in about 3-4 hours as we get progressively more drunk.

I'm thinking stuff like:
every time you upgrade your city hall you finish a drink
every time you remove x amount of abandoned buildings you drink
everytime you have a riot or disaster you drink.

etc.

James Coote

Neo Member
So I played in a team competition of Sim City on Thursday at an event organised by the local game developer community. I guess Beta players are still under NDA? I'm certainly not :p

At the event, they also had the lead designer(?) answer some questions from the floor. On the city size, he said that they wanted Sim City to "Work on your Dad's computer" (i.e work on low / mid spec machines), and that they decided to compromise on city size, rather than anything else to achieve that. He also said in relation to this that some features got cut from previous Sim City games as they were really only of interest to a hardcore minority who could actually figure them out, and just left most people baffled and confused

They also built the entire game from the ground up, and unlike all the previous Sim City games, they didn't reuse any code. That meant they also had to redesign everything (which I suppose focused them into thinking what was actually useful or fun or otherwise).

Having played the game, I love the curvy roads, but because of the limited city size, you get loads of gaps and space that can't be filled in if you use them, so they just make the city look nice, but are inefficient and no good if you're looking to maximise city efficiency (which you are lead towards since you have such limited space to expand; You have to use every inch of land).

Also very annoying is that you can't use parks to fill in the spaces in the middle of city blocks. I used to make square city blocks in Sim City 4 with a gap in the middle that I'd fill with park, but every building has to be next to a road. Also expanding buildings is a pain as again, you're just looking for a space where a building will actually fit, then you find you have to upgrade the building for it to be useful, and if you've squeezed it in, adding extra rooms / modules to your buildings means you have to start trashing neighbouring buildings

Some things I liked, such as the wind direction affecting where air pollution from factories etc spread

Notable absences were landscaping tools and subway transport option (though maybe I just couldn't find them :p)

I've not read all 35 pages of this thread so sorry if none of this is new

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Well I didn't play either beta but I've read that performance got better with the second one. And Metal said that I would have no problem with my 540M. :p

Performance got even better with the 3rd beta. I don't think we should complain about performance before the game is even out yet :p

Pepboy

I'm wondering how successful this game will end up being. Maxis could certainly use some success after the whole Spore debacle (boy did that IP drop like a rock).

To be fair to Maxis/EA, I feel they supported the Spore IP for a while after it's initial launch, experimenting with different game styles.

GlassBox

Banned
To be fair to Maxis/EA, I feel they supported the Spore IP for a while after it's initial launch, experimenting with different game styles.
Oh they most certainly tried to support the IP, but it didn't pay off in any instance. I hope this time the sales are better

Hambone

At the event, they also had the lead designer(?) answer some questions from the floor. On the city size, he said that they wanted Sim City to "Work on your Dad's computer" (i.e work on low / mid spec machines),

Good info, thanks.

Could any beta players tell me if my laptop should be fine running this:

Core i5 2.2 ghz
4 GB ram
GeForce 340m

I have no illusions that I'll be maxing this out, but I'm assuming if I turn the bells-n-whistles to low\off it should be fine.

I think spore gave the player too much freedom. It'd have been better if the player had more impact on the world itself, and saw the outcome manifested in the creature then to affect the creature itself.

Some effect on the creature would be nice, but ultimately, i think the game offered was just overly general in its approach and as a result it felt like most of the effect occured in a single screen and the rest of the game suffered.

As for the sim city stuff, I think the size is unfortunate, but I think the design decisions will ultimately better the franchise in the long run. There are some things I'd really like to see, pedestrian walk/bike ways (ie really small roads) that could be added to sections which would allow for parks to be built between zones for example. I dont think i should have to rely on cars at all when building a city.

ekim

After watching different videos and nearly all letsallbemayor.com streams I'm sure I will love the game. I don't have any problem with city sizes as I will have a whole region private for myself where I will built all cities. It's also far more important for me to have a nice looking city and focus on efficiency. That being said, I guess the game will get a lukewarm reception from the press just because of the game not being like the old Sim City. The curse of reboots I guess.

Megasoum

Banned
Performance got even better with the 3rd beta. I don't think we should complain about performance before the game is even out yet :p

Great news, I only got access to the first beta and while it was playable it was still having some hicups here and there.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Discovery Delta #2 list. Please make sure your name is on the list and spelled correctly :)

Sawyer's Crossing: gaf- Rubixcuba origin- ???
Huckleberry Island: gaf- Clovingwestbrook origin- Clovingwestbrook
Thatcher Overlook: gaf- rs4- origin- Rsfour
Harper Plains: gaf- spadge origin- ???
Cottonwood Forest: gaf- EvB origin- ???
Magnolia Wetlands: gaf- suedester origin- 1981suede
Willow Woods: gaf- King_Moc origin- ???
Honeysuckle Marsh: gaf- Eaten By A Grue origin- Riven81
Kazoo Basin: gaf- klobrille origin- ???
Spooner Plains: gaf- FuzzyNorman origin- Absolute22
Washtub Fields: gaf- Relix origin- LordRelix
Jugband Hills: gaf- ricochetguro origin- ricochetguro
Cotton bend: gaf- MrCompletely origin- ???
Stackolee Ravine: gaf- fluffydelusions origin- ???
Rising Sun Valley: gaf- evilhomer origin- evilhomer14
Barleycorn Point: gaf- LyleLanley origin- MelvinVanHorne

Yup, all fine. I can only get on after 7PMEST so I'll try to pour at least an hour or two nightly for this. Still I was thinking of making a commercial-industrial oriented city :p

Smiley90

Great news, I only got access to the first beta and while it was playable it was still having some hicups here and there.

The only thing that I still noticed in the 3rd beta were some clipping errors, but performance improved significantly over esp beta 1

_woLf

Starting to think that the ridiculously small cities in this game is a dealbreaker.

I don't want SimSmallTown. I want SimCity. What the fuck, Maxis.

Starting to think that the ridiculously small cities in this game is a dealbreaker.

I don't want SimSmallTown. I want SimCity. What the fuck, Maxis.

They are a bit small, but from what I played of the first two betas I didn't really find it an issue. The game is built around toying with different city types and the size they give you is plenty to mess with one idea and then have another city to mess with another idea and have to two working together. Sure it does mean you can't create a whole region with a sprawling city growing outwards to smaller communities and farmland, but it's a different game this time around. If you think of it that way, it's a great deal of fun and makes you want to try new things and work together.

They have said they'll be looking into bigger cities in the future though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Discovery Delta #1

Sent Request
cjdamon042
Felix Lighter

The rest isn't on the spreadsheet.

if you guys see your name here my origin ID is DMPrince

Could at least half the guys on the list for Discovery Delta 1 submit their names to the spreadsheet and add their Origin ID's. Would make the process easier.

Could at least half the guys on the list for Discovery Delta 1 submit their names to the spreadsheet and add their Origin ID's. Would make the process easier.

i think most are on the spreadsheet now. give or take a few

KPJZKC
8bit
Spl1nter / Spl1nters
Dmorr07 / Dmorr07
timetokill / cannibalchef
DPsygnet / DPsygnet
taoofjord / taoofjord
LiquidMetal14 / LiquidMetal14
Stutte / wstutte
MKAllDay / MKAllDay
Pandemic / Pandemic 121
trinest / trinest
Mii / MiiS3

those are the names so far. the rest aren't on the spreadsheet or updated Metal yet.

I don't really understand the complaints about changes in a reboot. The game you want already exists, go play it. This game is different to offer new and different experiences.

CJ, you should put something like the following in the OP:

"This is SimCity, where planning out an efficient, unique design for your city is an important part of gameplay, not an option! No longer can you mindlessly build a "jack of all trades" city without restrictions - Traffic, Resource sharing, Commuting, all this now needs to be taken into consideration. Your space will be limited, so take the challenge and create your unique cities! Let different cities in your region share responsibilities AND bonuses."
You are assuming people only want larger cities so they can max out their city as a jack of all trades. *My* problem with the small cities is they don't allow nearly as much fun experimentation and creative city designs. I don't care about growing my city or planning it to be efficient, I care about things like recreating my home town, or creating a long winding road through the forest between two large towns and experimenting with the traffic between them, or making my roads spell words.

And yeah I played in Beta 1 and 2, and when I wasn't just playing the game as Maxis intended (going for max population/money/happiness as my only goal), it sure has hell felt cramped. Especially playing with that cliff town :)

Smiley90

You are assuming people only want larger cities so they can max out their city as a jack of all trades. *My* problem with the small cities is they don't allow nearly as much fun experimentation and creative city designs. I don't care about growing my city or planning it to be efficient, I care about things like recreating my home town, or creating a long winding road through the forest between two large towns and experimenting with the traffic between them, or making my roads spell words.

Fair enough, that is something that's not entirely possible with this. But I am fairly certain the beef 90% of the people who complain about large city size is that they feel like they don't have enough space to do everything they want, without considering that they could make several cities each covering one aspect of it, like the game intends you to.

I lost the link to the sheet ><

it's in OP ;P
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cWVtdW1DRnJyM0tXN0lobk1DNWc&usp=sharing#gid=0

KPJZKC
8bit
Cjdamon042 / Cjdamon042
Felix Lighter / FelixLighter
Spl1nter / Spl1nters
Dmorr07 / Dmorr07
timetokill / cannibalchef
DPsygnet / DPsygnet
taoofjord / taoofjord
LiquidMetal14 / LiquidMetal14
Stutte / wstutte
MKAllDay / MKAllDay
Pandemic / Pandemic121
trinest / trinest
Mii / MiiS3

i updated my post with the people i sent request to or added. the rest haven't posted or i just missed them.

Wanace

I'm not planning on joining a GAF Region since I can't promise I'll be playing very much, but if anyone wants to add me as a friend on Origin I'd like to join in the future.

Origin ID = ThereWasAMan

LiquidMetal14

Alright, I got everyone except timetokill, Mii, Pandemic, KPJCKC, and 8bit.

If you guys read this, add me on Origin so I can have everyone on Discovery Delta 1 added.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
TheQueen'sOwn will you be inviting people to our region?

I will indeed. I'll keep you guys updated re: my d/l/install of the game, etc. If for whatever reason somebody is able to get into the game a great deal of time before me, we can always switch who will create the region.

Zona

Also very annoying is that you can't use parks to fill in the spaces in the middle of city blocks. I used to make square city blocks in Sim City 4 with a gap in the middle that I'd fill with park, but every building has to be next to a road. Also expanding buildings is a pain as again, you're just looking for a space where a building will actually fit, then you find you have to upgrade the building for it to be useful, and if you've squeezed it in, adding extra rooms / modules to your buildings means you have to start trashing neighbouring buildings.

If you plop down a park then go into the edit mode for it you can daisy chain them. You will still need that first park next to the road but the following ones don't have to be.

sp3000

Fair enough, that is something that's not entirely possible with this. But I am fairly certain the beef 90% of the people who complain about large city size is that they feel like they don't have enough space to do everything they want, without considering that they could make several cities each covering one aspect of it, like the game intends you to.

You could specialize cities with Simcity 4 region play also. The point is that it gave you an option to do that, rather than forcing you to do.

Anytime someone says "game intends you to" it's probably an example of terrible game design.

LiquidMetal14

I want it so bad, but there are so many other awesome titles coming out...can't justify it right now.

I got mine for 44 but you have to look at it as if this is going to be a full price game for a while. Most of the other big games will be on sale within a couple of months. This has a lot of value and legs. Especially playing with others online.

Does the game have in game voice or are we going to be coordinating some Mumble chat?

sp3000

They are a bit small, but from what I played of the first two betas I didn't really find it an issue. The game is built around toying with different city types and the size they give you is plenty to mess with one idea and then have another city to mess with another idea and have to two working together. Sure it does mean you can't create a whole region with a sprawling city growing outwards to smaller communities and farmland, but it's a different game this time around. If you think of it that way, it's a great deal of fun and makes you want to try new things and work together.

They have said they'll be looking into bigger cities in the future though.

I played beta 1 and I found that it restricted you to specializing your cities. The game encourages this behavior with having a "gambling" or "coal" city. It's pretty much impossible to have a city that is focused on multiple things in this game.

Top Bottom