• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

georgc

These are the only gaffers who's Origin ID are not on the map:

StevieP
TurboButt
Spazo
Quick
The Wizard
Soi-Fong
sl4yor
spadge
EvB
King_Moc
MrCompletely
klobrille
Raxious
thelegendary
BeekleMatter
Stasis
Georgc
DTKT
KPJZKC
8bit
NJBorn
Xane

Please help me complete it.
Mines georgc

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
eesh, no preload.

So, basically, the release day might be the 5th in America, it's really the 8th, with most of the world.

Was there a "start time" officially? I saw someone say the 4th, but is there a AM/PM time?

Pepboy

I think spore gave the player too much freedom. It'd have been better if the player had more impact on the world itself, and saw the outcome manifested in the creature then to affect the creature itself.

Some effect on the creature would be nice, but ultimately, i think the game offered was just overly general in its approach and as a result it felt like most of the effect occured in a single screen and the rest of the game suffered.

As for the sim city stuff, I think the size is unfortunate, but I think the design decisions will ultimately better the franchise in the long run. There are some things I'd really like to see, pedestrian walk/bike ways (ie really small roads) that could be added to sections which would allow for parks to be built between zones for example. I dont think i should have to rely on cars at all when building a city.

That's an interesting idea for SPORE. If I remember correctly, the original GDC presentation had elements of that -- the peaceful tribes had peaceful looking buildings. I would also have liked the creatures to change a little bit each generation by themselves, in a randomized fashion. That would give it a bit of a Dwarf Fortress feeling of "things can go wrong and that's okay". Maybe after playing the game for a while the player could unlock the ability to fully shape the creatures. Probably not the right thread, but does anyone know if SPORE mods helped?

I also like the bike paths and agree that it should not have to rely on cars. But maybe areas connected only by bike paths grow slowly (since it takes a special person to live without a car)? This would make for a natural trade off between city growth and maximum city size.

Megasoum

Banned
Arghhh...he needs to put more service road to put in more oil wells.... His twitch channel is subscriber only so I can't even tell him.....

Juice

If I buy physical from amazon will I be able to re download from amazon or origin? I only have like three gaming DVDs anymore and will probably just lose them

Huh...what? Origin supports pre-load... It doesn't have anything to do with Origin.

Alright, getting mixed signals in this thread. Will pre-download be an option or not on Origin? A source would be nice as well.

No no sorry, I meant that Origin supports pre-loads in general. No idea why Simcity doesn't have one tho. I said that because the other guy was blaming Origin for the lack of pre-loads when in fact it doesn't have anything to do with that.

Ah, that sucks. And first time dealing with Origin, will it also be like some Steam titles where it won't be released until around noon so the physical copies have an advantage with midnight launches and such?

I just want to know if I should be staying up or not to start the download.

Megasoum

Banned
Alright, getting mixed signals in this thread. Will pre-download be an option or not on Origin? A source would be nice as well.

No no sorry, I meant that Origin supports pre-loads in general. No idea why Simcity doesn't have one tho. I said that because the other guy was blaming Origin for the lack of pre-loads when in fact it doesn't have anything to do with that.

Ceebs

eesh, no preload.

So, basically, the release day might be the 5th in America, it's really the 8th, with most of the world.

Was there a "start time" officially? I saw someone say the 4th, but is there a AM/PM time?

I saw a 9PM early start, but that is probably PST.

smr00

Banned
10 GB too, according to the SimCity Origin store page. Another reason why I ordered the physical version from Amazon with $20 credit.
Only 10gb? That isn't bad. I bought Hitman today which is 13.7GB i believe and it took me all of an hour to download.

Xane

Quick

Banned
I might actually not be able to join in and/or be active with the GAF cities, so I give up my spot for someone else who wants Straussburg Isles in Viridian Woods (2).

StevieP
TurboButt
Spazo
Quick
The Wizard
Soi-Fong
sl4yor
spadge
EvB
King_Moc
MrCompletely
klobrille
Raxious
thelegendary
BeekleMatter
Stasis
Georgc
DTKT
KPJZKC
8bit
NJBorn
Xane

Please help me complete it.

I posted mine, it's BeekleMatter

yogloo

Here goes nothing.
Discovery delta 3
Harper plains
Origin username: yogloo
Should I register for more than one spot?

Amazon Tony on Reddit

"Hey guys,

I just saw this note and saw this issue (I was at comicon all day).

For 100% transparency here is the mistake that led to this issue. Note this was absolutely a mistake, and orders that were did not use CAGROCKS were cancelled as well.

On Thursday we learned that there would no longer be a pre-load for SimCity. In response I set up a mass mail to go out to every customer who had pre-ordered the game up until we found out there wasn't a pre-load anymore.

When I filed this request, I copy/pasted a previous request for a mass mail, in this previous request the words "also please cancel all of the attached orders" (we had an issue with a product previously that we had to cancel/refund orders on because the product never shipped).

So, when sending the email out, letting customers know there was no pre-load, we also cancelled all the orders.

Again, this was totally my bad.

Cheers, Tony"

"I'm figuring out if we can just re-place the orders for everyone who did not re-order already. I literally just got home so I have very little visibility into what's been worked on so far.

I'll update as soon as I have more information. Thanks for the patience and sorry for the hassle.

Cheers, Tony"

This is the exact boat I'm in. I had the digital copy of Simcity preordered from Amazon at least a month ago, but now it's not showing in any record that I ever preordered it at Amazon. Very strange.

Am I going to have to reorder it?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
So I just snagged Harper Plains in Discovery Delta (3), that's cool right? Scanned through the thread and don't think I'm missing any obvious rules for registering. The idea of a full 16 player region sounds pretty exciting!

Here goes nothing.
Discovery delta 3
Harper plains
Origin username: yogloo
Should I register for more than one spot?

Hey now.

Tony just posted this on Reddit:

Again, sorry for the hassle. Regarding the pre-load, I was told this game would not have a pre-load at all. Is this not accurate?
Also, regarding those who ordered with a discount, if you pre-ordered with a discount and contact CS you'll be able to re-order with the discount.
Lastly, we'll be issuing a $5 credit to everyone whose order was cancelled as an apology.
Again, apologies for the situation.
Cheers, Tony

Looks like those of us who had the original discount can get it for $40 now.

Pepboy

Why arent they allowing preload? seems silly

My theory is that they don't want an Origin PR nightmare with login servers crashing/wait times. By having no pre-load, people will naturally finish the download at different times, providing a more consistent flow of people on launch day.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My theory is that they don't want an Origin PR nightmare with login servers crashing/wait times. By having no pre-load, people will naturally finish the download at different times, providing a more consistent flow of people on launch day.

mhmmmmm.. makes sense, but... Doesn't downloading 11gbs test the server more than simply "logging in" or accessing the game? and instead of logging in at the same time, everyone will be downloading at the same time...

With that in mind, no pre-load may be good. Nearly every large EA title has server issues at launch. Hate for it to be worst than usual, especially for a game that requires it to play.

mhmmmmm.. makes sense, but... Doesn't downloading 11gbs test the server more than simply "logging in" or accessing the game? and instead of logging in at the same time, everyone will be downloading at the same time...

The download servers should be completely separate though. They can probably handle the download just fine like every other game. The actual SimCity servers for simulation and login will likely be the issue I would guess.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Really, really hope there isn't any server issues on Day 1, it was bad enough during the first beta that they were down for a bit.

Smiley90

The download servers should be completely separate though. They can probably handle the download just fine like every other game. The actual SimCity servers for simulation and login will likely be the issue I would guess.

aaah if they're no the same, that makes sense then. Let's hope for the best and that all our codes go out in time. :p

i managed to rebuy the game from amazon with the discount even though i canceled because i was stupid to. but i ended also buy the DD upgrade off origin so everything is balanced out now.

pahamrick

There isn't a preload because we aren't downloading tbe whole game from origin. A dev on the simcity forums clarified that origin is only serving a 300mb installer and the rest will be downloaded from maxis.

Smiley90

There isn't a preload because we aren't downloading tbe whole game from origin. A dev on the simcity forums clarified that origin is only serving a 300mb installer and the rest will be downloaded from maxis.

But they could just do the same thing they did for the betas - allow download from within their client, but don't allow logging in yet ;) Regardless of origin

which will just mean the servers take a massive hit from everyone trying to download. lol

which means if anyone makes the region send an invite to me (Part of Delta #1) i'll probably end up downloading tuesday morning.

pahamrick

But they could just do the same thing they did for the betas - allow download from within their client, but don't allow logging in yet ;) Regardless of origin
Might be they don't want the unencrypted files out prior to launch, or EA hates us. I lean towards the latter. :)

StevieP
TurboButt
Spazo
Quick
The Wizard
Soi-Fong
sl4yor
spadge
EvB
King_Moc
MrCompletely <-- Origin ID: Dronehouse