• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single Player FPS piss me off.

Zaptruder

Banned
Apart from the fact I haven't played them for a long time and will suffer a headache if I play one for too long, I just can't quite stomach the disparity between the graphics and the gameplay nowadays...

I mean, these games look so much better than they play... the developers put alot of effort into the graphics... but then you try to interact with the world, and it just feels so boxed off and artificial.

I know it's a necessity of design... but then you get things like the 4 foot drop, that your character can't jump over, or the indestructable trashcan obstacle and it's that kinda stuff that's just really jarring in terms of immersion. more then low res textures, more then low FPS... just stuff like that pisses me off...

At the very least, if the game suits it (i.e. it features some kinda stealthy super spy or some crap), i'd like to see a range of reasonable mobility... stuff like been able to step up a 3 foot ledge, or look up and jump and hang onto ledges and haul yourself up (like POP in FP POV)...

Will I be disappointed by HL2 when it comes out?

Falch

I understand your point. I haven't played a singleplayer FPS for quite a while. I'll be buying HL2, but I really couldn't care less about it's singleplayer mode.

Ranger X

Zaptruder said:
Apart from the fact I haven't played them for a long time and will suffer a headache if I play one for too long, I just can't quite stomach the disparity between the graphics and the gameplay nowadays...

I mean, these games look so much better than they play... the developers put alot of effort into the graphics... but then you try to interact with the world, and it just feels so boxed off and artificial.

I know it's a necessity of design... but then you get things like the 4 foot drop, that your character can't jump over, or the indestructable trashcan obstacle and it's that kinda stuff that's just really jarring in terms of immersion. more then low res textures, more then low FPS... just stuff like that pisses me off...

At the very least, if the game suits it (i.e. it features some kinda stealthy super spy or some crap), i'd like to see a range of reasonable mobility... stuff like been able to step up a 3 foot ledge, or look up and jump and hang onto ledges and haul yourself up (like POP in FP POV)...

Will I be disappointed by HL2 when it comes out?

Maybe with the next gen you'll be happy. Seriously, complete ragdoll-like physic engines in games are going to be common. Half-Life 2 is just a small taste i'm pretty sure. Next gen is the "physics gen" i guess and then also your dream generation of when games will become really interactive with then environnement.

Wyzdom said:
Maybe with the next gen you'll be happy. Seriously, complete ragdoll-like physic engines in games are going to be common. Half-Life 2 is just a small taste i'm pretty sure. Next gen is the "physics gen" i guess and then also your dream generation of when games will become really interactive with then environnement.

Honestly, I think improvements in physics has been one of the best advancements in the genre. When you get into a fire fight and you shoot a guy in the leg and his lower body reacts to that impact, it really adds a lot to the immersion.

Plus, it's just fun to play around with. I remember spending about an hour or two just blowing up my own guys in Halo, to see if I could start up a chain reaction with some plasma grenades laying nearby and to see how many times I could get them to bounce.

Top Bottom