• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six-year old boy gets burned when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in his hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, a 6-year old boy in Brooklyn New York was burned when the Galaxy Note 7 he was holding exploded in his hand. The youngster was rushed to Downstate Medical Center via ambulance with burns to his body.

The kid's grandmother, Linda Lewis, said that her grandson "was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded. It set off alarms in my house." Luckily for the child, he was able to return home although he is now afraid of going near any phones. The family has been in touch with Samsung, but didn't reveal anything about the conversation(s) that took place.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Six-...ng-Galaxy-Note-7-explodes-in-his-hand_id85305

Please stop being stubborn people and return the stupid phone.

giga

They did.

It's been recalled by Samsung. People just aren't listening.

Article says this?

"Some have criticized Samsung for not issuing an official recall for the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. That would force Samsung to file paperwork with various government agencies, and would make it a crime to sell the phone. The manufacturer has determined that defective batteries found in some units are leading the phone to explode."

Article says this?

"Some have criticized Samsung for not issuing an official recall for the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. That would force Samsung to file paperwork with various government agencies, and would make it a crime to sell the phone. The manufacturer has determined that defective batteries found in some units are leading the phone to explode."

I thought the Feds issued a recall.

edit - I guess they started working with Samsung Friday.

Averon

I wonder what is wrong with the batteries that make them explode so readily. Must be some severe design flaw.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Given how many ads I see Samsung airing today during the NFL games, they should be forced to use that ad space to inform people of the recall.

Future

Not surprising. Does samsung push a recall notification directly to the phone? How do people know to send it back if they dont read much news?

Dineren

Banned
I think all the major carriers have sent out text messages and emails to all owner's of the Note 7. I'm curious if any are still trying to sell it. Seems crazy if so, at&t at least aren't currently selling it and aren't even allowing orders for the replacements at this time.

Supposedly only the Chinese Note 7 phones don't need to recall because the Vietnamese battery didn't pass the China version of FCC so the Chinese Note 7 use battery sourced in Japan. All other Note 7 used exploding battery.

So this is a quality control issue detectable even before the shit hit the fan.

RS4-

Sounds like its cheaper for Samsung to get sued by everyone instead of just making it mandatory and doing the goddamn paperwork.

Unless Samsung was able to beam recall notification into every owner's head there are going to be many upon many ppl who will never realize there is a recall.

Though Samsung could have at least sent out a phone notification

True, but for the people who do know about it, like people on this very forum and still keep the phone, what are they waiting for?

rc213

Would not be surprised if the owner of said phone knew but just decided to wait it out.

At work i have 2 co-workers who refuse to bring it to give it back. Both say they'll be fine if they only charge it sporadically and only when they can keep an eye on the phone.

Supposedly only the Chinese Note 7 phones don't need to recall because the Vietnamese battery didn't pass the China version of FCC so the Chinese Note 7 use battery sourced in Japan. All other Note 7 used exploding battery.

wow

Samsung is fucked

It's shocking they let batteries this volatile out the door.

Unless Samsung was able to beam recall notification into every owner's head there are going to be many upon many ppl who will never realize there is a recall.

Though Samsung could have at least sent out a phone notification

Seriously, with all the crap Samsung loads up the phones with, there's so many ways they could easily contact people with the correct device ID and say, "Hey, this is a Note 7, you need to exchange it now."

Condom

So China's FCC already pointed out at the flawed batteries but Samsung went ahead anyways in different regions?

I'm ignorant of the specific release dates so maybe China's test result was released too late.

Branduil

Would not be surprised if the owner of said phone knew but just decided to wait it out.

At work i have 2 co-workers who refuse to bring it to give it back. Both say they'll be fine if they only charge it sporadically and only when they can keep an eye on the phone.
Why are people so stupid.

psaman17

Banned

China Care

So China's FCC already pointed out at the flawed batteries but Samsung went ahead anyways in different regions?

I'm ignorant of the specific release dates so maybe China's test result was released too late.

Maybe the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom